See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

good vegetable choice to go with brisket
Terria
03/25/13
Ellen, After your comments on the california blend vegetables I am wondering if you would have a better suggestion of vegetable to serve with brisket and scalloped potatoes, corn chowder, relish plate, and cheese cake. to serve 200.
ellen
03/25/13
No, Terria, that is a fine choice. You could also consider roasting the veggies, carrots, zucchini, etc; might be easier than steaming.
Terria
03/25/13
Can you explain how the roast process would go
Terria
03/25/13
Change of plans, how about grilled asargras, We have a large grill available, and could then just put in roaster to keep warm. how much of that for 200 and what seasonings would you suggest.
ellen
03/25/13
The biggest "watch out!" for asparagus is that you lose about 40% of the raw weight from the as purchased to the edible portion prep- and you need fat stalks, not skinny ones, for roasting.
At least 1 pound per 4.

Takes something in the range of 12-15 minutes

Wash and prep/trim the asparagus. Spread out the asparagus in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Pat it as dry as you can, as you don’t want any water to “steam” the asparagus.

Drizzle on about 4 tablespoons olive oil per pound. Roll the asparagus back and forth so it is THOROUGHLY coated with oil.

Sprinkle on kosher salt and black pepper. Fresh ground is best.

The oven or grill is HOT! Cook about 10-12 minutes.

Great hot or cold.

ellen
03/25/13
By the way, please do consider a donation, maybe a dime a person, to support the site.
Terria
03/25/13
Thanks so much Ellen We are opting for the Asparagus. Wish us luck.
Terria
03/25/13
give me a mailing address so I can mail a donation. Thanks you
Terria
03/25/13
give me a mailing address so I can mail a donation. Thanks you
ellen
03/25/13
Please email me at the update e-address at the bottom of the page. Can't post address on the web. Thanks.
Dawn
09/03/13
I am catering for 175 ppl.It is a wedding reception at 6pm
These are the amounts I have figured
70 pounds raw boneless ribeye
44# chicken breast(portioned 5 oz)
175 baked potatoes- 90 count
13-18# baby carrots-I always have way too many.
Corn off the cob--14 quarts
rolls-180 should--seems like I never need more than one per person--I will cut up some focaccia as well to have in case
Caesar Salad and Tossed Salad
Can you fill in the rest of the quantities?
ellen
09/03/13
wedding reception for 175 people
A wedding reception should always have an appetizer area, please get with your bride. Here is why:
Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

One appetizer service area One serving area is needed for each 100 guests.

You need potato toppings (see the taco/potato bar page. Be sure there is cheese; you don't have any entree provision for the vegetarians in the crowd, and there will be some.

Horseradish sauce, about 3 quarts.

35 pounds chicken is enough if you do 3-4 ounce portions. Since many people having beef will take one, smaller is better.

Dress the carrots with brown sugar or maple syrup and orange juice concentrate, and garnish with a little chopped parsley or fresh dill and they will sell better. 18 pounds minimum.

They will eat more bread if you have really good rolls. You also need about 5 pounds butter for the bread, as well as what you get for the potatoes.

Do Caesar salad for 125 (1 1/4 times 100), tossed for 75 (3/4 times 100), some left, see the plan for 100 page.

Encourage your bride to serve dinner level coffee with the dessert, see the beverage planning page.

If this is a paid gig, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)