See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

soups
Paula
09/10/13
Hi Ellen,
Love your website! Found it to be such a great help so far, but am in great need of help!!
I am trying to plan way ahead and save valuable time on the days of the event.
I am looking for a good recipe for tomato soup and minestrone soup. Each for 60 people. I would have to make it ahead and freeze as they will be part of a 4 seating meal plan and i will have too many other foods to prepare at the time.

Also any good ideas for other made ahead meals for 60 people that can be frozen and just reheated on the day. Oh, I won't have an oven, or refrigerator. Just coolers and crock pots and possibly an outdoor burner. Thank you!!!!

Paula
09/10/13
Hi Ellen,
Lover your website! Found it to be such a great help so far, but am in great need of help with a few other things!!
I am trying to plan way ahead and save valuable time on the days of the event.
I am looking for a great recipe for tomato soup and minestrone soup. Each for 60 people. I would have to make them ahead and freeze as they will be part of a 4 seating meal plan, and i will have far too may other things to prepare at the time.
Also, any good ideas for other make ahead freezable meals that can be reheated on the day. However, no cooker or refrigerator. Just coolers, crock pots, and possibly an outdoor grill or stove top. Thank you!!!!!
ellen
09/10/13
You need this page:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/beefsoup.html

You might take an extra quart or two of beef broth in a carton.

This tomato soup is from my favorite soup base people, "Better than Bouillon". You would make double.

Spicy Tomato Soup

Yield:
2.5 gallons

Ingredients:

6 lbs. 9oz. tomato puree
2 qts. tomato juice
1½ qts. water
5 oz. Better Than Bouillon® Vegetable Base
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2½ tsps. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1½ tsps. ground white pepper (adjust if desired)
3 bay leaves
2 cups heavy cream (OPTION) you could substitute double strength non fat dry milk

Directions:

In a 4-gallon stock pot over medium heat, add tomato puree, juice, water, Vegetable Base, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
Slowly stir in cream and heat through. Remove bay leaves, before serving.

All the OAMC recipes and the wedding chickens have instructions for making ahead and freezing.

Paula
09/11/13
Thank you so much Ellen!
Seeing as i am freezing the soup, do i add the cream before freezing, or at the time of serving?
ellen
09/11/13
Good catch. At time of serving.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)