See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Rice and Beans
texviking
04/17/09
how much dry rice and beans will be needed to feed 130 people (as side dishes)
ellen
04/17/09
About 10 pounds dry each rice and beans.
Lisa
07/08/09
I'm having a party and will be feeding 60 people. How many lbs of rice and beans will I need to cook?
ellen
07/09/09
Just 1/2 of the amounts of the previous writer.
MICHELLE
08/30/09
I'm cooking mexican rice and beans(pinto beans)for 120 people how much pounds of rice and beans do i need to buy.
MICHELLE
08/30/09
Barbacoa
I'm making Barbacoa(mexican for shreeded beef) but i'm not sure how much pounds of meat i need to buy it's for 120 people.
ellen
08/30/09
8-10 pounds dry per 100 depending on whether they are light or heavy eaters and what else is being served. If you are making the BBQ yourself, and it is the only meat, you need AT LEAST 1 pound boneless raw beef per 4 people, 1 for three if it is plated and not going into tacos or sandwiches, or if it is self serve.
elaine
09/08/09
i am making rice pilaf for 40 - how much do i make, can i make it ahead of time and how much extra water should i use to keep it moist?
ellen
09/08/09
3 to 3 1/2 pounds dry rice. If you use a baked rice recipe, tightly covered, you just turn it to 180 as soon as it is cooked and fluffed- re-cover it tightly and pop it back in the warm oven. No extra water or just a sprinkle- and like all pilafs, tastier if made with chicken stock or broth.
dana Dorrance
11/09/09
mexican rice
Im going to make mexican rice for about 60 guests. What is the cooking method? How do the caterers do it? I would usually use a stove top but have heard of an oven method and re-heat for later.
ellen
11/09/09
Pro caters have steam kettles , huge items not like any home kitchen item.

You want any of my Mexican or Spanish rice recipes, 2/3 the amount for 100. You can easily do this in the oven, and it is much tastier if not reheated. You bake rice in a roaster with a tight lid. Allowing 40-50 minutes if it is white, an hour for brown. The liquid should be hot when it mixes with the dry rice.

Esmeralda
03/11/10
iam having my daughters sweet15 n iam making barbacoa with side of rice n beans for 100 people. How many pounds of meat of barbacoa do i need to buy n how many pounds of rice n beans too. Some people make the barbacoa with pork is it better n cheaper?
ellen
03/11/10
About 8 pounds each dried rice and beans would make plenty, 7 if they are lighter eaters or many kids. If you are making the BBQ yourself, and it is the only meat, you need AT LEAST 1 pound boneless raw beef or pork per 4 people, 1 for three if it is plated and not going into tacos or sandwiches, or if it is self serve. If buying already made, 1 pound for 5 is a minimum, 1 for 4 if it is plated and not going into tacos or sandwiches, or if it is self serve.

Both beef and pork make good barbaracoa, you want boneless chuck roast or pork shoulder (same cut, different animal).

Julie
02/27/11
I'm desperately looking for Louisiana Red Beans & Rice - vegetarian (!) to feed 50 for a church Mardi Gras party. Any help out there?
ellen
02/27/11
Go to this site:

www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

Use good vegetarian sausage and seitan ham for the meats. If you do not, you will probably add some tomato chunks, which is good, but not traditional.

You want about 6 pounds of beans to start.

Maria
05/15/11
Mexican rice
Can I cook mexican rice in roaster oven? Cooking 25lb of rice for a wedding
ellen
05/15/11
Yes, but for 25 pounds you will need 3 roasters.
Maria
05/17/11
How much water do I need for the rice to cook right?
ellen
05/18/11
I use just about double the water for long grain rice, which is what I prefer for this dish. Converted (such as Uncle Ben's) actually holds best.
jer
06/09/11
Making spanish rice for 200 best suggestions for keeping it fresh and moist but not mush. Using chafing dishes and access to a warmer but little oven space
ellen
06/10/11
Start with either converted rice (such as Uncle Ben's) or Basmati. Cook no more than one day ahead. If cooking ahead, cool very rapidly in shallow pans, no more than 2 inches deep. It will have to be cooked before you use the warmer or chafer, neither of those is sufficient for rice cooking.
Yolanda
09/17/11
How many pounds of potatoes should I buy for making potato salad for 300?
ellen
09/17/11
About 100 pounds.
M.Hoveln
10/08/11
I am going to cook rice pilaf for 100 people in a roaster oven. I am told it will fit in one 18 quart roaster oven. How long should I cook it for, and what is the best ay to keep it warm until it is served? When is the best time to add the vegtables to it?
ellen
10/08/11
I would not do it in one roaster, I would do 2. The procedure is just like for any oven pilaf, veggies added at the same time as for the oven pilaf. As soon as you are within 5 minutes of done, turn to 180 and put a clean cotton dish towel over the whole top, to catch any drips from the lid.
connie
11/04/11
I am cooking the red beans and sausage only in the roaster...what is the best temperature and length of time to expect. I am planning dinner for 21.
ellen
11/04/11
I always cook the rice separately. The roaster is the equivalent of a high crock pot at 300. A couple of hours at 325-350 after all the prep. See Chucks gumbo pages for the most excellent red bean recipe.
MARIE
03/28/12
i am having 200 hundred quest at my wedding and cooking babacoa,spanish rice and beans and salad,i want to know how many ounces of tomatoe sauce do i need for the rice,how many pounds of rice and beans?
ellen
03/30/12
Please look at the Spanish and mexican rice and the beans recipes for 100 on this site, for guidance on amounts.
Paula Bonin
04/27/12
Sausage with Rice and Beans
I am having a benefit and i need to know how many pounds of sausage,redbeans and rice i need to make 600 platelunches.
ellen
04/27/12
See Chuck's gumbo page for a most excellent RB&R recipe.
Leticia
05/01/12
I am going to cook rice and beans for my wedding in August we are expecting at least 350 guests.So I need to know how many pounds of rice and beans I need.
ellen
05/02/12
At least 12 pounds each dry rice and dry beans per 100, you can make the beans ahead and freeze. You need a lot of other foods, beverages, etc.
Maria
05/24/12
Rice
Making Spanish rice for 140 people and would like to know if can cook in the oven in the full size catering pans.
ellen
05/24/12
Yes, tightly covered with foil.
Gabby
06/22/12
Beans
I am making a party for 120 people how many pounds of beans do I need to make 1 regular size roaster.
ellen
06/22/12
About 8 is the max.
Maria
07/20/12
Mexican tacos
I'm making tacos for 100 people.. How many pound of meat do I need? Asada, pastor and chicken. I'm making it buffet style. Also serving rice and beans
ellen
07/20/12
Please see the taco page. I would make 1/2 beef and 1/4 each pastor and chicken.
sharon
08/03/12
Making 10lbs.red rice with olives how much paste tomateo sauce and olives will I need want to cook it in the oven in 2 pans how much water to use for 5lbs each and how long should I cook it
ellen
08/04/12
I don't use tomato paste, I use canned tomatoes pureed; 2 14.5 ounce cans for each pound of rice. Usually I add bacon, onion, and celery which were browned before the rice and tomatoes were added. I would try about 1/2 cup olives per pound- make a family size recipe and see if that is enough for your taste.

Cook on top of the stove for 10 minutes (bring to a boil and turn down). Pour into a large buttered baking dish; cover tightly and bake at 350° (preheat the oven) for 1 hour, or until rice is tender.

Mielle
08/15/12
I'm making rice and beans for 100. It's a vegan menu so rice & beans are it, plus a veg side and salad. How many cups of each do i need? I've been surprised that 12 cups grain and 16 cups beans feeds 80 perfectly but I always question it again when I'm back at the drawing board. Thanks
ellen
08/15/12
I do 8 to 10 pounds dry beans and 8-12 pounds dry rice per 100, depending on the size of the eaters, whether it is self serve, what I add to the beans, etc.
paty
08/17/12
I am wanting to make spanish rice for 30 people using an oven roaster but i do not know what temperature to cook the rice on?
ellen
08/17/12
See the recipe on baked rice on the recipe box page; it is very forgiving, almost any temp, just adjust the times as indicated.
denise arneson
08/24/12
Hello I made spanish rice in my electric roaster oven. I used 12 cups of white rice, 24 cups of stock, one 6lb 6oz can of chopped tomatoes, approx. 8 cups of chopped green pepper/onion combined and seasoning. The recipe tasted fine but some of the rice didn't cook and some was mushy. I did not heat the broth before adding it to the rice. (I was not then aware of this website)Do you think that if I heated the broth to boiling then add the rice, vegetables and seasoning I would have more even cooking? Or should I add more liquid? I stirred the rice several times during cooking but wasn't sure if this is correct because rice isn't generally stirred while cooking. Most of the time I had my roaster set at 350. I am cooking for the homeless and am looking for cheap, filling recipes that I can make in the roaster pan itself, similar to crock pot cooking. I thought that I could wing it and use the roaster like a crock pot but I think that using large qualities may need slightly different tecniques .Thanks for what you do.
ellen
08/24/12
Yes it will help if you pre-boil the liquid and the roaster and no, don't add more liquid. Try a lower heat- 325.

The top heat in a crock pot is 290-300, low 185-200. You can use the roaster as a crock pot if you watch the temps.
matie
09/21/12
meat
i need to cook meat for 250 people how many lbs do i need to buy?
ellen
09/22/12
See the plan for 100 entree tables and use 2 1/2 times the amount for 100 of whjatever meat you are using.
Letty
10/01/12
Making Chicken BBQ plates for a Benefit fund raiser. How much pounds of mexican rice and beans do I need for 600 plates?
ellen
10/01/12
8-10 pounds dry of each per 100, depends on how generous you are with the servings; 8 makes about 1/2 cup per person.
cheryl
10/18/12
pinto Beans
how many pounds of dry beans do I need for an 18# roaster oven.
ellen
10/18/12
How full do you want it to be? Seriously, youcan cook 6-8 pounds dry, depending on the type of bean and how much you are adding in.
Heidi
10/24/12
I'm planning a Haitian fundrasier dinner. Wanting to prepare rice and beans for 200 people. I need step by step instructions that are clear. I am not an experienced cook. How do I prepare the day before, and then serve the next afternoon?
ellen
10/24/12
Heidi, if it is the main dish, 12 pounds dry each of rice and beans, if a side dish 8 pounds each.

Cook the beans way ahead- can be frozen- thaw overnight in the fridge.

Make the rice using the baked rice method in the recipe box section of this site. Do day of. Rice does not reheat well.

Heat the beans on the stove top. This could take a couple of hours. Mix all together.

This is a LOT of food- 4 to 5 electric roasters- get help.

Marie
10/30/12
tomatoe sauce for rice
How much tomatoe sauce is needed for a 10 lb bag of rice???
ellen
10/31/12
Just to mix in or as a real spaghetti-like sauce? A 10 pound bag of rice serves 100, and you would use 1/2 to 1 cup per person.
Sherri
11/17/12
Hello i foolishly volunteered to cook curry for 60 people. I'm a bit stuck as to how to cook enough rice and keep warm and serve. Can you help me please.
Many Thanks,
Sherri
Devonshire, England
ellen
11/17/12
The baked rice recipe in the recipe box is the solution to your problem, cooks up easy with no sticking. Do soak the rice if you use Basmati. You want about 8 pounds.
Terry Knox
12/19/12
Rice , garlic mashed potatoes, and fresh Beans
Hello I cooking volunteered to cook for 40 people. How many pounds do I need to cook rice, potatoes and fresh green beans
Terry
12/19/12
I meant Rice Pilaf
ellen
12/19/12
If doing rice only as a side dish, I do 4 pounds for 50, for a larger serving as part of a main course, 6 pounds.

If you are serving potatoes at the same meal, cut the rice back about 1/4.

honey
01/10/13
How long do u think it will take to cook 25 lbs of red beans?
ellen
01/10/13
Soak them overnight in the cooler or refrigerator, drain.

Are you cooking all in one pot? You will end up with 10 to 14 GALLONS of beans, up to 100 pounds weights cooked.

It take 20 minutes to bring each gallon of water to a boil and you are dealing with about 10 gallons of water. So dividing it up helps.

honey
01/12/13
I plan to soak overnight. They will be all in one pot. The pot is large enough, & I am experianced with cooking beans just never this much. I dont want to start too early. I need them ready for 10am.
ellen
01/12/13
I would start be 6- they can always be turned down when done.
honey
01/12/13
Thanks, I was worried that would not be enough time. I was going to start at midnight.
ellen
01/12/13
Do make sure the fresh water is hot, not cold.
Jennifer
01/24/13
Hello Ellen,
thank you for you help in advance.
I am preparing Jamaican style rice and red beans for a party for our guests this weekend.
Can I prepare this dish 2 days in advance or will it lose quality?
ellen
01/24/13
I would cook the beans ahead, but the rice day of and mix- rice doesn't reheat too well, but the beans actually benefit from sitting around a day or two in the fridge in their spicy mix.
Jennifer
01/24/13
Thank you!
My beans are soaked, off to the stove they go =O)
g
02/11/13
How many lbs of cook spanish rice will be needed for 600 peop;e
ellen
02/12/13
If this is a side dish, I start with 8 pounds dry long grain rice per 100.
Cindy
02/21/13
Ellen
Just wanted to say your site is awesome.I am preparing a Hatian meal as a Thank You to my church for supporting our missions team when we went to Haiti last month. Every question I had about rice and beans has been answered! I am confident our meal will be super. Thank You.
Monica
03/20/13
Spanish Rice
Help... I'm cooking Spanish Rice for 140 people. Considering a roaster... I'd like to get amount of ingredients to cook rice.. I'd also like to ask you about browning the rice ahead of time. I like using fresh ingredients tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic, cumin, etc.... I've read through your suggestions but I'm needing a little more detail on my specifications. Thanks for your time!
ellen
03/20/13
You would need 3 roasters, better to do in the oven. Both these pages have useful recipes- check them out.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/pro/rice100.html

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex100.html

Shelly
04/25/13
Spanish Pork, Yellow rice & black beans
I am making Spanish Pork, Yellow rice & black beans for my baby shower with approx 40-50 guests, how much do I need and what's best way to cook to keep warm for party?
ellen
04/25/13
4 pounds rice, 3 pounds dry beans (or 2 #10 cans) and you will have plenty. An electric roaster would be just right for this amount, or you could use a full size chafing dish and refill once.
Tammy
05/18/13
I have cooked 4 lbs of red beans. I need to reheat themin a roaster for a lunch after a funeral. What temperature should I put the roaster on and for how long to reheat the beans?
ellen
05/18/13
Preheat to 325 before adding the beans.

Spray with non-stick spray. Bake at 325 a couple of hours, make SURE there is enough liquid- some will cook off. Turn to 180.

Maria
05/21/13
i need to cater for 250People i want to know how much rice and beans i need to buy
ellen
05/21/13
For what? Side dishes about 8 pounds dry each per 100. Main dishes, about 12 pounds each dry per 100.
Antonia
07/07/13
Pinto Beans
i would like to know how many pounds of pinto beans would i need for 350 people.
ellen
07/07/13
Just as above: side dishes about 8 pounds dry each per 100. Main dishes, about 12 pounds each dry per 100.
Tiffaney
08/20/13
I am having a party for 40 people and im serving mexican rice and beans. How many pounds of both cooked do I need for my party. The rice and beans are side dishes we also have meat as well
ellen
08/20/13
I can only tell you dry weights; 4 pound dry of each will give you modest leftovers.

If you are buying readymade, figure about 1 pound per 4 for the beans, 1 pound per 3 for the rice.

csowell
09/18/13
I need to cook rice for 300 people and was wanting to cook in a roster. What temp, and how long do you cook and what kind of rice and how much can you cook in a roster?
ellen
09/18/13
Rice for 300 people would require 5 electric roasters. Each one has to be set up on a separate 15 amp electrical circuit and most rooms only have one circuit. Temps are the same as for the regular oven, you use about 10% less water.

The safest simple method is to cook in regular ovens and transfer for serving.

The simplest method overall is to rent restaurant size rice steamers, but this is not cheap.

Discussion link about baked rice is on the recipe box page:

www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/bakerice.html

If this is a side dish, about 8 pounds dry rice per 100. If part of a main dish, such as under curry or stew, 12 pounds per 100.

If this saves you time trouble or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support the site.

Marcelina
09/25/13
I'm making a party for 200 people .how many trays of rice and beans do I need.
ellen
09/25/13
Marcelina, that depends on whether it is side dishes or main dishes? Please send the rest of the menu.
Marcelina
09/25/13
Hi Ellen
The rice and beans are side dishes .
ellen
09/26/13
Then the normal amount is 8 pounds dry of each, which is about 3 1/2 gallons per 100.
Arianna Compean
10/14/13
Sausage
I'm having a benefit for a friend that Needs a heart transplant need to know how many pounds of sausage I will need to plate 600 lunches
Arianna Compean
10/14/13
Sausage
Forgot to mention its going to be served as one of the sides
ellen
10/14/13
About 2 ounces per person if it is a side dish with a different main course.
Iris
10/24/13
Hello

I want to make Puerto Rican rice for 20 people
Arroz con gandules. I like my rice to be suelto

I have am induction cook top. what size pot do i use i have a caldero but does not work on induction cook tops.
Can you help me thanks

ellen
10/24/13
Iris, probably the best result if you like your pan would be, use it on a hotplate.

For 20 people, you are looking at about 6 quarts- if you want stirring space, about 2 gallons.

Ceci
11/01/13
Mexican barbacoa and Mexican Rice
How much meat and rice do I need to buy to make Mexican Barbacoa and mexican rice for 200 people as a dish.
ellen
11/01/13
5-6 pounds raw boneless beef makes 30 tacos, about 10 people's worth. 9-10 pounds dry rice per 100.
Brandy
11/05/13
I want to make a rice and bean dish for 45 11-14 year old boys. I am planning on cooking chicken thighs (seperately) to either shred or mix in. Can you recommend a recipe with amounts?
ellen
11/05/13
Chicken with black beans and rice is an excellent Cuban dish. Here is an ingredient list for 100 adults:

1 1/2 cups cooking oil
30 chicken quarters

1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons fresh-ground black pepper
10 cups onion, chopped fine (about 3 1/2- 4 pounds)
40-50 cloves garlic, minced
30 cups canned crushed tomatoes
15 cups bottled pimientos, drained OR 2 1/2 quarts chopped bell peppers
30 cans drained and rinsed black beans (15-ounce can) (that is 4 #10 cans)

30 cup rice, preferably medium-grain
58 cups water
24 cups chopped fresh parsley
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne

120 lime wedges (optional)
OPTIONAL chopped cilantro-4-6 cups

The chicken and beans are cooked together, then the rice, and enjoy.

ellen
11/05/13
If you use medium grain rice, you can cook it all together this way. Of course, it takes several pans.

Heat the oil, season the chicken with part of the salt and the pepper and add to the pan. Cook, turning, until well browned, about 8 minutes in all. Remove. Pour off all but 1/2 inch of the fat from the pan.
Add the onion (and the bell pepper if raw) to the pan and reduce the heat to moderately low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the crushed garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds longer. Add the tomatoes and pimientos, scraping the bottom of the pan to dislodge any brown bits. Stir in the beans, rice, water, parsley, the remaining salt, and the cayenne, and arrange the chicken on top in an even layer.
Bring to a boil and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Turn the chicken and reduce the heat to very low. Cover and cook until the chicken and rice are just done, about 15 minutes longer (can be done in a 325 oven). Serve with the lime wedges, if using.

Xiomara
11/11/13
Barbacoa
Hello i was wondering if 20lbs of barbacoa would fit in a 7qt crock pot or would i need 2 of the same size?
ellen
11/11/13
No. You may actually need 3 crock pots for this much.
Cathy
11/14/13
I would like to make spanish rice for 50 ppl. Can you please tell me how much rice and how much liquid I should use for this. Also can I cook this in the oven in a roasting pan?
ellen
11/14/13
There are several recipes for Spanish and Mexican rice, and they can all be done in the oven. You would do half the amount for 100.
Cathy
11/14/13
One more quick question, what temperature should I cook the rice in the oven on?
Cathy
11/14/13
Do you brown the rice on the stove when making spanish rice before putting in the oven?
ellen
11/14/13
I boil brown rice for 8 minutes on the stove before putting it in the oven and baking just like white.
angel
11/18/13
How much rice and beans will I need for 300 people for my wedding?
ellen
11/18/13
It depends on the rest of the menu. Rice is 8-9 pounds dr per 100 for a side dish, but 12 and up as a main dish component. Beans are 8 pounds dry as a side dish (3 gallons cooked), but solid 12 for serious bean eaters.
justin
12/08/13
good morning Ellen, we're cooking red beans and sausage for about 100 teenagers, and wanted to know how many lbs of sausage are needed. I'm thinking about 12 lbs each of rice and beans. Your thoughts please.
ellen
12/08/13
This is the best red beans recipe I know, and you need 1 pound of beans, one of rice, and 2 pounds of meats for each 8 persons.

Angela
12/29/13
I am making rice with meat for 50 people on New Year's Eve part of a buffet. Can I use a chafing stainless steel pan to keep the rice warm?
ellen
12/29/13
Yes, but it requires that the mix be oven hot when it goes into the serving pan, and for 50 people it will take 2 chafers full.
Anna
01/01/14
Barbacoa
Hello first time making cheek barbacoa 6lbs...how long do I cook it in an electric stove?
ellen
01/01/14
Trim off all the fat and gristle you can before cooking.

I usually simmer- a crock pot on high for 6-10 hours- then shred, chill overnight and skim in the morning before reheating

For oven roasting: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Sprinkle the meat lightly with salt and seasonings and wrap in a double layer of aluminum foil so as to not allow any steam to escape. Place the foil packet in a baking pan and bake for at least 6 hours, until tender.

For simmering, put trimmed, cubed cheek meat into a large crock pot and season well with salt, pepper, comino (cumin), oregano and garlic. Most people also do cilantro. Maybe some fresh lime juice.

Beef broth to cover, maybe a bay leaf. Simmer, covered, but don't boil if you are on the stove top.

When cooked, shred with 2 forks (some people chop, I like shredded better), pick out any veins or gristle, then chill overnight as above.

TOPPINGS: Chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped fresh jalapenos, shredded cheese, lime wedges & sliced avocados.

2 pounds of meat makes about 24 barbacoa tacos.

Tabitha
02/21/14
Hi,
How much pre-cooked rice and beans should I order for each wedding guest if we're serving buffet-style and the main dish (tacos) is all you can eat? We'll also have some side salads. Do I assume that everyone will have 1 serving size of beans, rice, and salad or that they'll have more or less?
ellen
02/21/14
I plan on 1 cup chopped lettuce salad, 3/4 cup rice, and 1/2- 3/4 cup beans per person. You know whether your guests are bean eaters-
Juli
04/07/14
Hello! I am cooking Mexican Rice for my wedding for 200 people. Can you please give me a recipe and measurements? Can I bake it in the oven? And do I need to brown the rice before? I greatly appreciate your help and your website! Thank you!
ellen
04/07/14
Those recipes are already on site. Look for both Spanish, Mexican, and TexMex rice.

ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/pro/rice100.html

carolyn meade
05/29/14
Rice, Beans,tacos,enchiladas
I am having a party catered. How much rice, bean, taco meat and enchilada should I order for 60 people?

Thanks
Carolyn

ellen
05/29/14
Use 1/2 the amounts for the taco bar, and about 100 enchiladas. 2 full trays rice, 1 1/2 full trays beans.
rose
05/29/14
can i brown the rice the day before
i bake it in the oven
for 200 people
ellen
05/29/14
Yes, but refrigerate after browning.
Alex
06/01/14
Im cooking rice and beans for around 40 people (adult and children) and its going to be somewhat of a buffet. How much is needed for both?
ellen
06/02/14
If a main course, about 5 pounds each, if side dishes, 4 pounds each.
Sandra Gonzales
07/17/14
Picadillo for 1200 crispy tacos
How many pounds of ground beef would i need to make 1200 crispy tacos?
ellen
07/18/14
1 pound raw makes about 10-12 tacos, depends on how lean the beef is and how meaty you make the tacos, and whether you put onions in the picadillo.
cindy
07/19/14
10 lbs of pinto beans in roaster oven at tempter do i set it at and how long will they take to cook
ellen
07/19/14
Cindy, are these dry beans or cooked/canned beans? Please write back and clarify. If it is dried beans it is probably too much for 1 roaster.
Katherine Gonzalez
08/01/14
How many trays can a 20 pound bag of gollA rice can I get ?
ellen
08/01/14
8 pounds makes over 3 gallons of rice, so you are looking at 8-9 gallons.
ellen
08/01/14
To be very specific, most rice will triple when cooked, so 1 cup of raw rice will yield 3 cups cooked. 1 pound of rice is 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups, yielding about 8 cups cooked per pound.
Linda
08/04/14
Lime cilantro Rice for 300 people
Making Lime cilantro rice for a wedding dinner and would like each guest to have a cup of cooked rice. How much rice do I need to cook and how much liquid
Linda
08/05/14
How much brisket,beans and rice do I need to
Feed a party of 150 guest
ellen
08/05/14
Linda, for the 1 cup portions, 1 pound per each 8 people. Brisket, 1/2 pound raw trimmed per person.
Zujeiry
08/27/14
Brown strew chicken
I'm having a small wedding about 60 people. How much chicken must I cook for that amount of people(if I am using Leg and Thighs)?
Sarah
09/04/14
Spanish rice
Hi I am having my aunt make Spanish rice for my wedding for about 140 to150 people how many pounds of rice will she need?
Jenny
09/04/14
Hi, Cooking a mock "CHipotle" burrito bowl bar tomorrow for 100 high schoolers, I am making 27 pounds of chicken, 12 pounds of rice, other stuff as well...The rice cooking is baffling me, I have access to several electric roasters or should I split into batches and boil stove top..I might have access to large catering pans. I have plain white rice, not basmati, I will be adding cilantro and lime after cooked and will definately be serving from the roasters.
ellen
09/04/14
Zujeiry, you need 65 quarters, cut a few apart after cooking for small eaters. That is about 60 pounds of chicken.
ellen
09/04/14
Sarah, about 15 pounds- as little as 12 if it is a small side dish, as much as 18 if you want a plateful per person.
ellen
09/04/14
Jenny, the easiest way to cook this much rice is in the oven. Use the roaster cook pans. Bring rice to a boil on top of the stove, cover tightly and bake in a preheated oven about 30 minutes. Fluff and re-cover, then move to the preheated roasters at 180-200 to hold.
Cindy
09/18/14
Pinto Beans
making pinto beans in a roaster (8lbs), how much water, time, and temperature do I use?
Cindy
09/18/14
making pinto beans in a roaster (8lbs), how much water, time, and temperature do I use?
ellen
09/19/14
Soak overnight in fridge, drain, add water to about 3 inches above the beans, cover. Bring to a boil, turn down, simmer about 4 hours on 300.
Terry
10/04/14
I am cooking 12 gallons of red beans and rice . How many pounds of beans and would you cook the beans in Chicken stock ?
ellen
10/04/14
The best red beans recipe I know is at thegumbopages.com;

I do 12 pounds dry beans per 100 people.

Andrew
10/06/14
Hi Im looking to feed about 1000 students, so we are buying 300 lbs of carne asada to feed them 2 tacos each. Im wondering how much cilantro and onions and salsa should I get?
ellen
10/06/14
250 pounds meat is enough for tacos.

Use the taco page for toppings 100x 10.

1 cup chopped cilantro weighs 7 ounces.

You want about 1 cup per 12.

You need to have shredded cheese also and refried beans are a lower cost filler.

daisy
10/13/14
My husband is cooking red beans and rice. He is cooki g in a 10 gallon pot. How much beans will he need? We dont have a head count because its a firemans benifet
ellen
10/14/14
This is my favorite red beans recipe:

1 pound of beans makes 12 servings. 1 pound of red bean cooks up to about 7 cups- allowing for stirring, say 1/2 gallon. So if your recipe is 1/2 beans, you might do 4 gallons cooked beans or about 8 pounds in a 10 gallon pot. DEFInITELY soak overnight before cooking, and best wishes to the firefighters.

Sandra
10/15/14
I'm making rice for 200 people how many big aluminum trays do I need and how many cups of rice fills one tray?
ellen
10/15/14
You will use 8-12 pounds of dry rice per 100, 1/2 to 3/4 cups cooked per person. number of pans depends on whether 2 1/2 or 4 inches deep- their volume is given on the pan sizes page in the pantry section
Cynthia
11/14/14
Hi I'm making a tray of pinto beans the day before the party. How can I reheat the tray in the oven?
ellen
11/15/14
Keep the recipe fairly juicy, cover the pan tightly, use a shallow pan and preheat the oven to 350- cook about an hour, until the temp in the middle is 165.
Kim
12/26/14
How much beans will I need to make red beans and rice for 15-25 people with leftovers?
ellen
12/26/14
Go here, make 4 times the recipe and you will serve 32. It's a terrific recipe.

Ruth
02/05/15
Howdy! Making Rice and Beans as a side dish to Shrimp Jumbo and Jambalaya. Expect 160 people. How much rice and bean should I get? Shoulda just helped with the decorations!
ellen
02/06/15
You will already have rice in the jam,balaya, so no more than 12 pounds dry rice, about 12 pounds dry beans (see the link just above it is a great recipe.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dim)e per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Maria
02/16/15
Hi - How much rice and kidney beans will I need to sample a 170 students for Language day? The will have A plate with 1 sweet plantain 1 yuca and a little bit of beans and rice. How many tomatoes and onions to season the beans?
Thank you so much!
Kristi
03/07/15
Hi Ellen,
I am planning a church event for 350 people. It will be a Mexican Fiesta. We will have chicken and steak. How much meat should I buy of each?
Thanks
ellen
03/07/15
Will this be tacos, roasted/broiled, etc, and what else is being served. Write back, start a new thread.
Elizabeth
03/12/15
Rice and Beans and pork
Good Day Ellen,

My husband and I are the honorary God Parents of a Sweet 15 this coming end of May. We know of many wonderful stay at home traditional Mexican women who have many many years of experience cooking for many many people but who do not have there own company in essence own location.

Therefore, I would simply like to know how much dry rice, beans and pork I will need to feed 350 guests...

Thank you,

Liz

ellen
03/13/15
Hi, Elizabeth,

This is a big party, requiring about 4 people in a commercial size kitchen and 16-20 out front to set up, serve, and clean up. These folks will be working during the party, not attending. If this is buffet, and depending on what else is being served:

Per 100 people

8-12 pounds dry rice
8-12 pounds dry beans
raw boneless pork, served roasted and sliced, 50 pounds; stewed, 40 pounds

You would use the larger amounts for full plates, lots of teens or heavy eaters

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Jenny
03/14/15
Arroz con pollo
Hi I'm cooking arroz con pollo for 40 ppl how much rice and chicken I use . Thanks you 128522;
ellen
03/14/15
Best recipe I know is on site:

www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/meatfsh2.html#meat3

Nellie Garcia
03/17/15
How many pounds of mexican rice and beans to feed 300 people
ellen
03/17/15
Hi Nellie., you posted twice, see the other one.
Teresa
05/09/15
I am making walking tacos for a 100 for a graduation party at a park pavilion with Spanish rice and re-fried beans as a side dish. I was wondering if I can make them a day ahead and then warm up in a crock pot or electric roaster?
ellen
05/10/15
Teresa you can make the meat ahead, but walking tacos get totally soggy unless made as taken- you can serve it as a DIY buffet assembly, use the taco.potato bar [page for help on amounts.
Kelly
05/23/15
i want to cook short grain rice for 300 people at a camp, so higher elevation. How would you cook it?
ellen
05/23/15
Expect rice to take about 5 minutes longer to cook at 5000 feet and increase the amount of water by a few tablespoons per each few cups of rice. For example, a cup of long-grain white rice is usually prepared with 1-3/4 cups of water and cooked for 15 to 18 minutes at sea level. At 5,000 feet, you’ll want to increase the water to 2 cups and cooking time to about 20 minutes. If, after 20 minutes, you find water lingering at the bottom of the pan, replace the lid and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. On the other hand, if you find the rice has absorbed all the water and is still too chewy, or not quite done, add a few tablespoons of water, replace the lid and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.

If you use brown rice, boil it for 12-14 minutes instead of 8-10 before steaming.

If you bought short grain rice it's going to be at least sticky and it will get mushy pretty fast when overcooked. In this case I would recommend Basmati or even converted rice.

mark
05/26/15
i'm cooking rice and beans for about 30 people on friday -- how much of each do i need?

what's the best way to cook both the night before and reheat to serve the following evening?

ellen
05/27/15
The beans benefit by reheating , the rice definitely does not, and it takes about as long to reheat rice as it does to make it in the first place.

For big platefuls for 30 people, 4 pounds of beans and 3-4 pounds of rice (I'd do 4- leftovers make great fried rice). You can make perfect rice using my oven method, see the recipe box page.

This is a terrific bean recipe:

or you might like my borracho (drunken) beans:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/beans100.html#borracho

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Alan
05/28/15
I need help with feeding 80 people, men, women & children. Half beef and half chicken fajitas, how many tortillas, how much rice, how much beans, how much shredded cheese, how much sour cream, how much gauc, how much pica, how much salsa, how many onions and bell peppers...

Thank you...

ellen
05/28/15
Go to the taco/potato bar page, link at the top of the main cook talk page, use 3/4 the amounts for 100. Check out the fajita page for additional help. You can write back if you need to.
Jennifer
07/08/15
Hi Ellen...I am looking for any help you can give me!! I am doing a fundraiser for an educational trip that my daughter is going on. We are doing plate lunches with boneless chicken spaghetti, corn, salad, and bread. Any suggestions???
ellen
07/09/15
Use the spaghetti dinner for 50-60 at the bottom of the spaghetti page for quantity help and count on 60 plates. Use a Measuring scoop or spoon for the casserole. People appreciate grated Parm, even the shaker cans, you would need about 6 per 100. Check prices at restaurant suppliers such as Sysco or Restaurant depot for lowest cost. A post it from yr daughter saying thanks with a bit about the trip stuck on the top of the container will be remembered and appreciated.
Jim
07/17/15
First and foremost thank you Ellen for taking the time to answer so many questions. Your site has been a life saver for me. I went from line cook to KM to GM of a failing restaurant. I am learning everything as I go. SINK OR SWIM. I'm glad I found you!!! Food costs have dropped, menu being simplified and completely revamped with positive feedback. Sales are on the rise. But, one thing I am really having a hard time grasping is how to price banquets and private parties. We have a banquet hall here and I am tired of guessing. Could you help me with this one... Simple menu for 120 ... Red beans and rice 2 ways. one mild no protein, the other spicy with Andoule Sausage. How do I price out a simple salad bar... Chopped Iceberg lettuce, diced red onion, diced tomato, cucumber slices and shredded cheese. Unlimited tea, coffee, and water. If there is a formula you could share I badly need it... Thank you so much for your help...
ellen
07/17/15
Most caterers use food cost as 1/4 of billed cost when they provide the servers and the venue, which is what it sounds like here.

Cannot fail to praise the traditional and vegetarian recipes for red beans and rice on the gumbopages.com. Leave Chuck a little donation if you can. Budget permitting, the spicy Italian sausage (meatless) from Field Roast would be a terrific vegetarian option.

You need cornbread and good rolls!

JIM
07/18/15
THANKS ELLEN... What are the approximate portions you would suggest for planning this RED BEANS AND RICE PARTY? Thanks again...
ellen
07/18/15
If you use the gumbo page recipes, they have good serving estimates.

12-14 pounds breads/rolls and 3 pounds butter per 100.

Car
08/03/15
Rice
Hi - Been through forum but didn't seems to find a direct answer for these:
Cooking for 25 ppl (Using 2 chafer dishes 9 litres each)
basmati rice
Chicken Curry
Chili con Carne
So...Basmati will be precooked left a bit hard and transferred to a warm chafer dish? Do you add some liquid or butter for it not to stick to base and remain moist?
The Chicken & Chili con carne - cooked beforehand and has got to be transferred to chafer dish warm or room temp would be sufficient?
As for amounts - do you think if I split:
In 1 Chafer dish split equally in 2deep gastronomes:
1 gastronome - rice
1 gastronome - chicken curry

In 1 Chafer dish split equally in 3 deep gastronomes:
2 gastronomes - chili con carne
1 gastronome - rice

..would be sufficient for 25 ppl?
THANKING YOU IN ANTICIPATION.

Sally
08/10/15
Hi Ellen, I'm needing your advice and recipe for Haitian beans and rice for a church fundraiser - expecting around 50 guests. Do you recommend using dry beans over canned or will either work? Can it all be prepared in a roaster or is it best to use oven method and then transfer to a roaster for serving? Thanks for any help you can give me!!
ellen
08/11/15
Car, you posted this on several threads plus email. Please go read the answer on your original post.
ellen
08/11/15
Hi, Sally, either might work but dry are much cheaper. Of course you pre-cook them. Here is a recipe:

haitiancooking.com/recipe/haitian-rice-and-beans-diri-ak-pwa/
Just do soak the beans overnight and drain before adding lots of water for cooking, and do add more water when you cook the rice if you do not have enough bean water. Do use about 5 pounds rice (about 4-5times the recipe). Be cautious with the Scotch bonnet pepper, it is extraordinarily hot- I would not do more than 2 -3 even though you are doing 5 times the recipe!

Easy to cook and transfer, do preheat the roaster 20 minutes. 350 to reheat, 200 degrees to hold.

Kristina
08/17/15
Hi I baked 7 lbs of pinto beans, mashed them and have them in serving trays. How can I reheat them in the oven and for how long? I need them tomorrow heated at place by 11 am. Thanks
ellen
08/17/15
I hope you also seasoned them.

Cover the dish with foil and reheat for 30 minutes in a 325-degree oven that was preheated for 20 minutes. Hope you sprayed the pans with non-stick. If they are VERY thick, stir in warm water to get the proper consistency before reheating.

Ashley
08/29/15
Hey, I am making brown Spanish rice to feed at my ssons 1st birthday party. I need to feed 30 people. I was going to use my crock pot. How much rice should I use and any suggestion on cooking method? Thanks!
ellen
08/30/15
30 people-worth of servings will not fit in a 6 quart crock pot, consider a roasting pan tightly covered in the oven, see the oven baked rice recipe on the recipe box page for info. 3 pounds dry rice to start.
Cindy
09/10/15
Hi, I am cooking rice and beans with stew chicken for 50 people. I am not sure how many lbs of rice, beans, and chicken i need to feed all of them. The food will be served in big plates. Therefore I am not sure how much I need? Thanks!
e
09/10/15
Is it all cooked together or separately, and if separately, is this a true stew with chicken and veg, or just shredded chicken? Also, what else is served? Write back.
guadalupe
09/29/15
mexican rice n mexican beans
Hello,im making mexican rice for 20ish people how much rice should i use and tomate sauce and onion do i need ,also im making mexican beans how much beans will i need and how of the ingredients will i be needing
ellen
09/29/15
I use 2 pounds rice for 20 for a side dish or 3 pounds for a larger portion. Sub in the tomato sauce for up to 1/4 the water.

Same weight dry beans for same number people.

See the borracho beans recipe on this site for how to cook up the rice.

ellen
09/29/15
See the recipe at the bottom of this page for help with the rice:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex100.html

Maria
11/03/15
Mexican Rice, Beans and Birria
Blessings to you Ellen , I'm going to make Rice,Beans and birria for about 80 people how much lbs of each item will I need.
ellen
11/03/15
Assuming nice big plates of rice, 9 pounds dry rice, 6 pounds dry beans. 1 pound boneless meat per 4 for the stew.
ellen
11/03/15
Oh, and also add 1 pound spare ribs per 4.
Gina
12/28/15
Rice and Beans and chicken for 100
Help i need to cater for 100 people the menus is chicken rice and bean with salad can you tell me how much i need
ellen
12/28/15
Look on the plan for 100 tables to get amounts for 100. I can't tell if the chicken, rice and beans are all together or separate or even what kind of beans. As you will see from the charts, the amount of chicken you need even depends on what cut of chicken you are using.
Marie
01/06/16
how many pounds of dry rice is needed to make a 19x2 standard chaffing pan of rice? And how many people will it serve?
ellen
01/06/16
Standard holds 7-8 quarts, about 30 peoples' worth on buffet service.

1 pound of rice = 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups uncooked = 11 cups cooked (varies slightly depending on whether it is short, medium, long grain, parboiled/Uncle Ben's, or basmati)

So about 2 1/2 pounds will make a full dish.

Marie
01/06/16
Hi Ellen, thank you for the info on rice. It's so helpful.
I need to ask how many pounds of beans to prepare
for about 150 people. Thank you.
ellen
01/06/16
For a side dish, about 8 pounds dry per 100. For a mixed main dish, about 12 pounds per 100. For outstanding read beans and rice, see "www.thegumbopages.com".

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Gayle
01/17/16
"Chipotle" Wedding Reception and Sundae Bar
I am planning a "Chipotle" style wedding reception meal.
Carnitas
Chicken
Cilantro Rice
Black Beans
Pinto Beans
Lettuce-shredded
Cheese-shredded
Sour cream
Salsa
Chips
What quantities would I need for 200 people.
Also, I reviewed the Sundae Bar recommendations and I was wondering if I need those amounts when I'm also serving dinner?
Thank you for any help!
ellen
01/18/16
Yes, the sundae bar is stand alone, or dessert, same amounts

Take a look at the taco bar page for the start of your ideas on amounts of toppings, and then also look at the fajita page for help on the amounts for the meats. Then write back.

pam
01/25/16
Pernil
I am making Pernil for 100 guests. How many should I buy?
ellen
01/25/16
Each 4 pounds bone in serves 6 guests. So, you want about 64 pounds raw to start. You might look at all the notes attached to this recipe for advice on getting very delicious results:

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016234-pernil

Jack
02/27/16
Can I prepare enough spanish rice (oven method) for 40 people in only one 2" hotel/full pan? And what would be the ratio for long grain rice, figuring I will be boiling the wet ingredients before adding to rice and sealing off prior to baking? Any recipe suggestions? :) Great site btw, Thank you
ellen
02/27/16
That pan only holds 7 quarts=28 cups, less than 2/3 cup per person. The 3 inch pan holds 11 quarts and would work better. Water to rice ratio does not change for stove top or oven prep, depends on the type of rice.
Mona
03/04/16
Ribs
How pounds of pork ribs do I need to cook for 50 people? And would the poundage be different if I were using beef ribs.
ellen
03/04/16
A pound per person, spare ribs are leaner and a bit tougher, back ribs are meatier and usually more costly. Beef ribs, a bit more- 12 pounds per 10 people.
steph
03/25/16
what a great page!
i am making tacos- asada, pollo and carnitas for 33 guests with rice and beans. i have the measurements for the rice and beans, but could you please help me out with the meat? thank you in advance ~~
ellen
03/25/16
A bit of a tough figure as 3 meats for under 50 people always means leftovers of something. If it were my party, I would do 4 pounds boneless chicken, 4 pork and 6 beef.

A fruit tray makes a great presentation or appetizer with this menu:

ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/fruit100.html

Does this help? I am doing a fundraising campaign to remodel the kitchen and provide the changes you readers have asked for- please click the masthead at the top of this page to go to www.ellensbigpots.com and make a donation. Thank you.

joanne
04/21/16
Rice
My church will be feeding about 150 homeless people. How many 12 pounds bags of uncle Ben's rice would feed that amount of people? Our sides will also be mac
and cheese & green beans and corn.
ellen
04/22/16
Joanne, what is the entree/protein and how much mac and cheese will you have? These affect the amount of rice needed.
Heather
04/25/16
How many Pounds of smoked sausage and pork Tasso do I need for 100 red bean and rice plate lunches
ellen
04/25/16
For 8 people my favorite recipe uses:

1 large smoked ham hock, 3/4 pound of Creole-style pickle meat (pickled pork), or 3/4 lb. smoked ham, diced, for seasoning
1 to 1-1/2 pounds mild or hot smoked sausage or andouille, sliced on the bias

Here is my favorite creole/cajun recipe link:
www.gumbopages.com/food/

If this helps and you can return the favor, please click on the masthead at the top of the page to read about the big project underway and how you can help. Thanks!

George
05/03/16
I am going to make 60lbs of BBQ(Barbacoa), I need to know how much beans and rice I need to go with that amount of meat , thank you
Love
05/19/16
I am making about 300 burritos (beans, lettuce, pico, and avocado creme, cheese) How many pounds of dry pinto beans should I use. I will be using a 12-14" tortilla to make each burrito. how many avocados?
ellen
05/19/16
George, I lost you! I do 12 pounds each dry beans and dry rice for 100 people for moderate servings, up to 15 for large. So calculate based on the number of people you are serving, not the amount of meat.

If this helps, you can return the favor! I am doing an extensive remodel of the kitchen, to bring you readers more of the features and information you have been asking for. Please click on the masthead at the top of the page to read about the big project underway and how you can help. Thanks!

ellen
05/19/16
Love, it depends on how full you make them. 8 pounds of dry beans makes a modest serving for 100 people, 12 pounds a somewhat larger one. For avocado, most people can't afford more than 1/4 per person. You have a food safety issue here- you have to keep them chilled to prevent bacterial growth or fermentation- cook beans, mash and chill before assembling, on have out about 20 minutes worth at a time. Then served cold, and the lettuce may wilt even if chilled...

If this helps, you can return the favor! I am doing an extensive remodel of the kitchen, to bring you readers more of the features and information you have been asking for. Please click on the masthead at the top of the page to read about the big project underway and how you can help. Thanks!

Raginee
06/08/16
I want to make Spanish brown rice for 60 people as a side dish. How much brown rice should I use and what's the best way to cook it?
ellen
06/08/16
6 pounds you serve, 8 pounds self serve. Use your preferred recipe as for white, except stir in rice and boil at a full boil 8 minutes before covering and turning down or transferring to oven.
Vicky
08/02/16
How many lbs of rice should I make to feed 130 people?
ellen
08/09/16
Side dish, about 14-16 pounds, plateful, at least 20
Tessa
10/08/16
How many gallons of cooked rice and beans would I need for a party of 200 people?
ellen
10/08/16
If it is a main dish, 12-15 pounds dry rice and 12 pounds dry beans per 100, or 6 #10 cans per 100.
ellen
10/10/16
That is 90 cups cooked rice- 5 gallons
Veronica
10/11/16
I'm making rice,beans, and potatoe salad for 120 people this weekend how many cups of rice and how many pounds of potatoe salad do I need?
ellen
10/12/16
40 pounds of potatoes, 10 pounds of rice, 4 gallons of beans
zoey
03/07/17
rice, beans, carne asada
I am having a fundraiser for 1000 people and am serving a serving spoon of rice, beans, and 2 small carne asada tacos. how much will i need of them all
ellen
03/08/17
Cook 10 pounds rice per 100, 4#10 cans bean (3 gallons) per 100. Seriously consider adding a half cup chopped lettuce wth a sprinkle of chopped lettuce- makes the plate quite a bit more attractive. 1 pound raw boneless meat per 5 for the asada
micki
04/17/17
I'm cooking red beans and rice for 30 people. How much dry beans and rice do I need to use?
ellen
04/18/17
When cooking them as a main dish, I cook at least 12 pound dry of each for 100 people, I suggest at least 4- and do remember that red beans freeze well- when I spend all day cooking them right, I make extra. It's nice to have some for next time. Don't forget the crusty baguettes!
Janet
05/04/17
Hi, I chose a crockpot black bean and rice receipe from Pinterest, it says to mix all ingredients together and then put crock pot on low for 3 hours. This has salsa , plus water . I see you recommend having the water hot before adding it to the rice, should mix all items except the rice and then add the rice after I mix the rice and hot water together. I now have 50 people . Is it better to do a oven dish or the big newcomer? Thanks for your time.
ellen
05/06/17
Don't know what is the big newcomer? I would NOT expect black beans to be cooked in 3 hours on low in a crockpot- that is only about 200 degrees!

Please consider doing the beans ahead, separately, then baking the rice and stirring in the reheated beans,

Kim
06/29/17
Hi- I am making Dominican style Rice and black beans for 30 men. What is the best way to cook and how many pounds of rice would you recommend as a side dish.
ellen
06/30/17
Cook up 1 1/2 pounds of black beans; the rice depends on side dish versus entree, but for large portions you want about 4 pounds of raw rice.

Seasoning varies, also whether it is cooked with meat/pork. Here are a few options

snapguide.com/guides/cook-black-beans-ricemoro-de-habichuela-negras/

ww.dominicancooking.com/14424-moro-locrio-rice-with-pork-and-black-beans.html

Patty
07/10/17
Hi-How much cooked Spanish rice will I need to feed 200 people? This is a side dish.
ellen
07/10/17
About 18 pounds dry rice which is 110-120 cups cooked. There are Spanish/ Tex-Mex recipes for 100 on this site
Nicole
10/13/17
can I cook 10 lbs of Mexican rice and pinto beans (separately) in a 22qt electric roaster
ellen
10/14/17
10 pounds of dry rice cooks up to over 30 cups, 7-8+ quarts. With added veg etc, you are approaching capacity- careful stirring, for example.

But 10 pounds beans makes over 70 cups, so do in two parts.

dana chiu
05/04/18
Need your input on quantities for taco bar for 24 five-year-olds' AND 16 adults (40 total).
This is what I'm thinking. Let me know if I'm in the ballpark:
4 lbs. rice, is that the weight for UNcooked rice or cooked??
4 lbs. beans, is that the weight for UNcooked beans or cooked??
7 lbs. COOKED shredded chicken (8lbs. uncooked?)
2 heads iceberg lettuce
1 small head pickled red cabbage
2 lbs. tomatoes, cherry variety OR diced
4 - 16 oz. salsas
16 oz. taco sauce
2 - 16 oz. sour creams
44 taco shells or corn tortillas
32 soft flour tortillas
5-6 large bags corn tortillas for salsas

Thanks in advance!! great site.

ellen
05/04/18
OK, 24 5 y/o's = 12 adults + 16 adults=38 adult portions, or about 2/5 of 100

4 lbs. rice, is that the weight for UNcooked rice or cooked?? 4 pounds dry, some may be left over
4 lbs. beans, is that the weight for UNcooked beans or cooked??- You need 3-4 quarts, which is about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds dry
7 lbs. COOKED shredded chicken (8lbs. uncooked?)- 10 pounds raw
2 heads iceberg lettuce- at least 3 pounds shredded, some folks may skip chips and make salad
1 small head pickled red cabbage= OK
Some people like a vinegar slaw? about 1 gallon
2 lbs. tomatoes, cherry variety OR diced- 3 pounds diced

16 oz. taco sauce- 2 pounds, 1 mild, one medium, labeled
2 - 16 oz. sour creams- plenty

44 taco shells or corn tortillas-56 shells
32 soft flour tortillas- 60 soft, can be both corn and wheat OK
5-6 large bags corn tortillas for salsas
3 pounds chips, 3pints salsa, mostly mild, 1 bottle shake-on hot sauce

Add 2+ pounds shredded cheese, important. Consider having a couple bottles Ranch dressing also.

You can write back. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support he site. Thanks.

joe
09/11/18
PINTO Beans
for 500 plates
ellen
09/15/18
For side dish, about 8 pounds per 100, for a main dish about 12 pounds per 100. If you need recipe help, do post he recipe.

You can write back. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support he site. Thanks.

Bevetly thomas
10/31/18
I’m making red beans and rice for 300 people how many commercial can of red beans will I need. How much pickle pork and andouille sausage
ellen
11/01/18
5 #10 can of beans for each 100 people plus a couple extra for appetites for modest servings. For self serve, allow at least 6 cans per 100.

The keys to good red beans are time and flavorful fat. So, even if using canned beans (and I don't recommend them for this dish), plan to simmer or oven bake for at least 3 hours.

For each can of red beans or 2 pounds dry red beans
4 onions, diced
2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
2 stalk celery, diced
2 tablespoons bacon fat
1 pound ham bone, or smoked tasso, or uncooked bacon , diced
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2-3 green onions, chopped

DO NOT salt until they have cooked together 2 hours; canned beans run salty.

Consider making a 6 quart crock of vegetarian, not every one eats pork. use 1/2 cup flavorful olive oil plus a few tablespoons of roasted sesame oil.

If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time trouble or money, please make a donation to support the site, Thanks.

Karina
08/27/19
Hello,
I need to cook 50 lbs of beans (black and pintos) but I am trying to figure it out the easiest way to cook them for an event. I have 5 people who will help me cook 10 lbs each but I can't find a recipe to follow how to cook 10 lbs at a time. Any ideas?
ellen
08/29/19
OK, in the oven or electric roaster is the way I do large amounts of beans.

10 pounds of beans cooks up to over 4 gallons, so you will do 2 electric roasters or big oven (turkey) roasters for 10 pounds.

1 Soak the beans 8 hours or overnight. This makes a big difference in smooth even cooking for large amounts of beans. In hot summer, I recommend soaking in the fridge to avoid fermenting. I use a bit of salt in the soaking water.

2 Pour off soaking water, rinse, add back water to at least 1 inch above the beans. Add your seasoning herbs, onions, veggies, etc. I add tomatoes and salt later.

3 Preheat the oven or roaster to 325 for at least 20 minutes while you use the cook pan or turkey roaster to bring the beans to a full rolling boil on top of the stove. If red beans or white cannelloni beans, boil 15 minutes; other at least until boil can't be stirred down.

4 Cover and transfer pan to oven or roaster.

5 After 1 hour, I add in any tomatoes or salt.

Timing: at least 1 hour 15 minutes. Old beans, large beans, and chickpeas/garbanzos take up to 3 hours.

If your volunteers want alternatives or more info, check here:
www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-beans-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-102908

david
12/07/23
how many pounds of cooked rice and beans would I buy for 40 people
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)