Back to where
you came from
Dry stuff, storage and safety, equivalents and substitutions, planning and buying. Who could ask for more from a pantry? Ellen could-- and does. Dry mixes and homemade staples? You will find that material in this section too.
- Dry Stuff
- Grain, nut and seed storage- hints and tips
- Flour Facts and Storage new
- Keep your powder dry! Everything you wanted to know about baking powder and baking soda. Reprinted by permission from Curly Sue. Links to her other interesting food pages.
- Refrigerated and Frozen Foods
- Purchasing and storing safe canned, refrigerated and frozen foods
- Make This At Home
- Honey Grapenuts for crunchy breakfasts or as a nut substitute in cookies and other recipes
- Caramel Dip or Sauce for apples or ice cream
- Almond Paste and Marzipan
- Glaceed or candied fruits and peels
- Crockpot Chutney
- Better Than Crackerjack Popcorn taken to the next level!
- Fruit Rolls/ Fruit leather
- Bath Salts, Milk Bath and Other Bath Treats
- Coloring Easter Eggs with Food Coloring
- Breadbuilder: Ellen's Homemade Bread Dough Enhancer for your bread machine.
- Homemade Baking Mixes Bisquick-type mixes for biscuits, impossible pies, and pancakes.
- No Yolk Egg Substitute Tastier than straight egg whites if you have given up yolks.
- Homemade Chinese Vegetarian Mushroom Oyster Sauce, or Vegetarian Stir Fry Sauce Essential for Ellen's Best Unchuck Seitan/ Gluten Roast, this sometimes hard to find sauce is easy to make.
- Sesame Ginger Salad Dressing by the quart, not those little 8 ounce bottles! Relatively low fat, and luscious.
- Dry Mixes and Spice/Herb Blends new
- Dry Onion Soup Mix Why not put Lipton's soup out of business? This page also has generic cuppa soup, instant noodle soup, and instant potato soup.
- Garlic-free Italian Seasoning fixed link!
- Traditional Italian Dressing Mix
- Mild Chili Powderfixed link!
- Cajun Salt
Generic Taco Seasoning
Shrimp and Crab Boil
Chinese Five Spice Powder
Green Herbs blend
- Middle Eastern and African Seasoning Blends
- Storage & Safety
- Food Safety after Floods
- Purifying Unknown Water new
- Safe Food for Hikers and Bikers new
- Keeping Cooked Food Safe
- Safe Handling of Wild Meats new
- Equivalents & Substitutions
- Can sizes and measures
- Baking Substitutes
- Weight and measure eqivalents for OAMC cooks, quantity cooks, and others who need to make shopping lists
Here is a simple table to help you go back and forth from cups to grams and kilograms.
Pan measurements and volumes- you can tell what size pie pan is the same as a 1 quart casserole- check pan sizes.
These folks have put a lot of work into an excellent measurement conversion site. If you are going from American to English, Australian, etc; this is the place that will help you. Check out this offsite link.
Equivalents and conversions
- Planning & Buying