The Recipe Box
Archives, How-to's, and Recipes of all variety.
New material April 2004
- KUNG FU Jamilla's Vegan Gazpacho
- Oven-baked Rice
- Rice Baked in Milk
- Breakfast Baked Rice Pudding Variation
- Main Dish Baked Grain Variation
- Preparing Baked Grains for a Group
- Practically Perfect Fried Rice new
- Honorable Turkey
- Meat & Fish
- About Cooking Meat
- Mom's Nebraska Meat Loaf
- Honey Baked Chicken
- Chicken Tunduri
- Arroz con Pollo de Onis Cuban chicken and rice
- Stifado with vegan variation
- Stifado II with vegetarian variation
- A Fish Stew
- Barely Liver
- Oven Fish Chowder
- Bowl of Red
- Kung Fu bouillabaise
- Waterzooi: A Creamy Belgian Chicken Stew
- Cholent, an overnight stew with history
- Coq au Vin Classic chicken braised ruby red in wine new
- Traditional matzoh ball recipes
A variety of vegetables
Fresh Artichokes new Cooking methods, dipping sauces, and how to pick a good one at the market!
- Artichoke dishes Appetizers, artichoke olive condite for muffaletta, casseroles, and a really good freezable side dish.
- Eggplant Collection
- Spinach Collection
Pumpkins and Winter Squashes new Knobby giants or mottled new varieties, how do you pick them, store them and use them?
Winter Squash Recipes from Red Pepper Pumpkin Pasta Sauce to Butternut Lasagna to Celebration Circle Banana Squash for 50. Also how to roast seeds and prepare pumpkin leather.
Phyllo, fillo, filo from appetizers to desserts
Spinach feta phyllo pie, salmon tofu phyllo pie
Middle Eastern Recipes
Soups and Vegetables
- Lamb and vegetable soup
- Lemony Lentil Soup, a vegetarian variation on Turkish Ezo Gelin Corbasi.
- Louisiana Gumbo Z'Herbes half way around the world, yet very similar.
- Vegetable Stew: Gormeh-Sabzi
Persian Herb Omelette: Kookoo Sabzi delicious fresh, but also makes a crustless low carb quiche for a portable breakfast or lunch
Homestyle power bars
- Compare commercial bars
- Compare commercial meal replacement drinks
- A recipe collection High calorie racing bars, High protein, Lowfat, low carb, vegan, uncooked; find them all here.
- Ellen's own powerbar recipes
Chai Tea Indian spice tea, regular and caffeine free
Kashmiri Teas Green tea chai, salt tea
Vegetarian/ Meatless Entrees
Vegetable Stews and Entrees, Crockpot Grains
- Vegan Roasted Eggplant Terrine new Vegan, glute-free.
- Summer Vegetable Stews #2267
- Lee's Vegetable Stews
- Autumn Variation on #2267
- Kung Fu Chili
- Vegetables in Red Curry Sauce
- Mushroom Stroganoff
- Neatloaf: vegetarian options
- Crockpot Grains and Pilafs
- Barley in a Crockpot
- Green Chile Grits in a Crockpot
- Millet Stew in a Crockpot
- Eggplant Caponata in a Crockpot
- Picante Lentils in a Crockpot
- Egyptian Lentils/Peas and Rice in a Crockpot
- Lentils and Greens:Pasta Sauce in a Crockpot
- Tofu Manicotti in a Crockpot
- Bulghur in a Crockpot
- Brown and White Rice Pilaf in a Crockpot
- Pretty Good Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese
- Wheatmeat, Gluten or Seitan
- Debbie's Indonesian Satay Gluten Seitan BBQ Delicious vegan grill kebobs can be frozen until needed. Skewers, pita sandwiches- many delicious summer treats.
- New Unbeef and Unchicken gluten seitan steaks A great starter recipe, with tips about improving the texture of homemade wheat meat or gluten
- Basics About Gluten Roast
- History of Gluten as a Food
- Debbie's Indonesian Satay Seitan deluxe, for the summer grill or BBQ
- Quick Homemade Wheatmeat Cutlets
- Favorite Gluten Roast
- Crockpot Gluten Roast
- Gluten Lunchmeats and sausages For your sandwiches or pizzas!
- Best Unchuck Roast My new favorite, the taste and texture on this pleases even meat eaters. It slices and shreds like a real pot roast. It is very easy to make- uses an automatic bread machine, a crockpot, and Chinese "vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce" which you can find at many Oriental markets.
- Worthington Protose-style PeanutSoyWheat Loaf An easy low salt seitan variation with a mild flavor, simmered in a vegan corn or butternut soup. Deliciously similar to the expensive commercial canned loaf, with a vaguely meatloafy texture, this slices without crumbling and makes great sandwiches whether sliced thin or thick.
Yeast Breads, Quick Breads and other Baked Things
Boston Brown Bread
Fall treats even without the oven, date nut, apricot or Boston Brown Bread steamed in your crockpot, pressure cooker, or stovetop. Great gifts, too!
Bread Machine Brioche or Mardigras King Cake
Pie crust hints, freezable apple filling and freezer OAMC pie crusts
Non-traditional pie and quiche crusts
new From coconut to hashbrown crusts, look here for new ideas
Prize winning food processor pie crust new
The BEST Fruitcake
- Honey Cakes
- Golden Secret Carrot Cake
- Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Icing
- Applesauce Cake
- Raisin Pound Cake a rich, economical bundt cake
Sponge cake, petit fours, Swiss Rolls, Jelly Rolls, Roulades and Buche de Nol
- Swiss rolls, jelly rolls, roulades, buche de noel, chiffon cake, no matter what you call them, these stunning cakes require skilled baking technique. All the tips you need for success with a variety of filling recipes.
- petit fours
- Sponge cake layers includes standard recipes plus eggless, sugarless, flourless- lots of choices
- Pizzas and Tortas with Yeasted Olive Oil Crusts new Olive oil pastry, includes OAMC freezing directions for pizzas
- WUDSHALO bread a great multi-grain, high protein bread.
- "Breadbuilder Ellen's Homemade Bread Dough Enhancer can improve any bread machine loaf.
- "Dough Relaxer" new Ellen's Homemade Dough Relaxer will give you more tender pizza crust or foccacia.
- Sourdough basics and English muffins
Breakfast and Desserts
- Nonnie's Buttermilk Waffles: a scaled recipe for 2-8 people.
- Jon's Swedish pancakes; crepes with a Swedish accent.
Good for freezing/ OAMC, too!
- Crockpot Lemon Cake Pudding
- new Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango the REAL authentic Thai recipe. Heavenly.
Beautiful SoupsGolden Pumpkin or Squash Stock and Soup
Ellen's Forms or Master Recipes- Really comprehensive Introductions
Soups Basic soupmaking with many variations
Great Giant Muffins or Texas Muffins all flavors
Impossible Pies- one dish, very simple, very portable. Made with Ellen's Better Buttermilk Baking Mix, these pies make their own crusts, with dozens of variations.
- Impossible Dinner Pies new Meat, cheese and seafood-based pies.
- Impossible Veggie Pies new The theme continues with vegetable and vegetarian dinner pies.
- Impossible Dessert Pies new Fruit, chocolate, peanut butter, coconut macaroon, even cheesecake and caramel- many sweet choices.
Dolmas: Preparing and eating grape vine leaves
Rice-stuffed packets wrapped in vine leaves. Hard to find instructions for fresh leaves as well as purchased. Many recipes, both vegetarian and ground meats, as well as dipping sauces.
EGGS faqs: selection, storage, safety and hard to find egg cooking methods.
- Scrambled Eggs that hold for a crowd
- Softboiled eggs
- Hardcooked (hardboiled) eggs
- Chinese tea eggs
- Missouri Pickled Eggs
- Really Hot and Spicy pickled eggs
- Poach and Hold Poached Eggs
- Cheesy Baked Egg Casserole
- Cup Eggs or Shirred Eggs
- Freezer Spinach Souffle for 3, with variations
- Piperade with Baked Eggs or Pasta
A Hill of beans: Preparing dried peas and beans
- Introducing Anasazi beans
- Cassoulita: Braised Beans special dinner dish Mexican flavors with fresh corn and white cheese
- Pasilla Braising Sauce
- Texas bean caviars and Bean Salads new Great chilled summer foods, flavorful and easy
- Chana Dahl Magic Beans new
- Ethiopian Alicha Wat: new Spicy Chana Dahl Stew with Indian variation
- Spicy oil or ghee (butter) new for Indian and African dishes
- Chana Guacamole new
- Chana Barley Pilaf new A flavorful pilaf with a desirable low glycemic index