See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Roast Beef
Lana
11/20/09
Hi,
I am cooking a Christmas lunch at my duaghter's school for 170. What is the best cut of meat to use and is there a better method to making this beef so it is juicy and tender ?
I appreciate any help!
ellen
11/20/09
If you are making a pot roast type roast, a chuck shoulder boneless would be good, cooked very low and slow. Amount depends on whether these are the kids or adults. Write back and let me know.
Lana
11/21/09
Hi again!
170 school kids 5-13 yrs and they love gravy, the first time I made gravy i did roast chicken with a pan gravy- this time my girls want me to make roast beef with popovers like i do at home but no budget for the prime rib and also I wanted to cook the beef in a sauce to save me the extra work of the pan gravy !
Menu
Roast Beef (gravy /sauce)
Roast Potatoes
Popovers
Carrots
Peach Cobbler thanks for helping!
ellen
11/21/09
OK. Do the braised pot roast style, chuck. I would probably do the golfer's special, onion soup, family size cans low fat cream of mushroom, some parsley. Tightly wrapped in foil at 300 for about 8 hours for that large a piece.
The whole chuck is around 25 pounds boneless raw. I would do 4 if the budget allows, 3 if I were really really careful about the portions. And green beans or broccoli would probably go over better than carrots.
lana
11/22/09
Thank you - should I cook it the day before and slice it on the day and rehaeat in sauce ?
I appreciate your advice -
ellen
11/22/09
That should work fine, except, slice after standing but before chilling. Otherwise, it does not chill fast enough to be safe.
Jonnie
12/14/09
Our church is having a Christmas Brunch and we were assigned to bring the sliced roast beef. There will be bacon, eggs, fruit, sausage and other menu items. My husband and I are wondering how much to get, if it's okay to thinly slice the meat and if tri-tip would be a good choice since it's not the main dish? It's for a group of approx. 75 people.
ellen
12/14/09
Tritip is good sliced cold, so it would be a possible choice. You can expect that almost everyone will take some, that is the usual with roast beef, and that means if you thinly slice yourself beforehand, minimum 1 pound raw for each 4 people. You would roast the day before let stand 1 hour, them chill. Slice after it is thoroughly cold (next day?)
Cathy
03/01/10
What do you sugguest is the best roast to use for a wedding for 120 people and how many roast should we purchase and what size?
cathy
03/01/10
One more thing we need a roast that we can cook the day before and slice as well.
ellen
03/02/10
I assume you will be pot roasting, it would be a shame to slice and reheat prime rib. Work with a real butcher. Top round makes a thin-sliceable roast if cooked low and slow. Chuck is a traditional pot roast, for example it is what cracker barrel uses. If it is the only entree you need 55-60 pounds raw boneless. Get them as close as possible to the same size if they are to roast together.
Lily Ferrer
06/13/12
how to make gravy with mushrooms
Hi Ellen
I am cooking a roast beef 7 lb on Father's day this Sunday and I will like for you to please tell me how to the gravy with mushrooms. I was reading your recipe but I really do not understand about how to go about the drippings and separete the fat. Would you please explained it to me. Also can I use beef broth (canned) and red wine for the liquid?
Thank you I am looking forward to hear your instructions and advices.
Lily Ferrer
ellen
06/13/12
Saute the mushrooms in butter and a little wine, set aside. Scrape out the roasting pan, pour into a glass measuring cup, measure back the fat into the pan at 1 tablespoon per cup of finished gravy. 1-2 tablespoons flour per cup, depends on how thick you like your gravy. Use all the drippings (brown stuff). Do it like a white sauce Use the broth and no more than 1/4 wine, when it is nice and smooth add mushrooms and simmer long enough to cook off the alcohol. Alton Brown has good gravy making info.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)