See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Amounts
Amanda Burkett
Tenhunderd@yahoo.com
03/09/05
My sister is getting married in May and she needs to feed 200 people. I need to know how much: Pasta( for pasta salad)
Marcaroni(for marcaroni salad)
Thanks A bunch!!
ellen

03/10/05
There are a bunch of recipes for pasta salads and mac salads for 100 in the Big Pots planning section. Basic amounts in the table on the sald planning page same section.
Lois
packerbaby@aol.com
08/24/05
I am serving 160 people for Labor Day Dinner on Mon. Sept 5th. Want to serve Red potatoes, cubed and mixed with Zesty Italian Dressing. how many pounds of red potatoes would I need?
ellen

08/24/05
50 pounds would be about right. I like slivered multicolor bell peppers and slivered celery stirred in, the texture and color boost are very good.
Valerie
valerie.erickson@ndscs.nodak.edu
11/21/05
I many pounds of potatoes do I peel for mashed potatoes to feed about 13 people?
ellen

11/21/05
About 1 pound for every 3 people, and round up- you could make the freezable, holdable mashed potatoes for 25 from the Big Pots section and freeze 1/2 for later in the weekend or next week. Extra easy, as they can be made a day or two ahead and refrigerated.
Donna
dyork1@epix.net
01/13/06
How many 5# bags of shredded lettuce would feed 180 as a side salad.
How many tomatoes should I get to add to the lettuce?
How many cukes to add to this lettuce?
How many red onions to add to this lettuce?
Thanks!
Donna
ellen

01/14/06
About 40 people per bag, I would get 5.

Get cherry or grape tomates, cuter and no dripping or cutting., 2-3 per salad (get a pint and count).

10 pounds of cukes.

Use another 10 pounds of carrots instead of onions, a fair number of people can't eat raw onions.

Marsha
retchip@tcsn.net
01/25/06
How many red potatoes needed for 100 people. and how much asparagus spears for 100
ellen

01/25/06
About 1 pound for 3 people for the potatoes. About 1 pound for 4-5 people for the asparagus, depends on the size of the stalks. I would get 25 pounds unless on a very tight budget.
jodi
jodi_1109@hotmail.com
01/28/06
My foster daughter is getting married in Oct. She has ask me to do the reception. I know I can handle her request however I dont know how to figure how much food I will need.
She is requesting a sald bar with.
Potato salad*pasta salad*cole slaw*cottage cheese with a toss salad with tomatoes,cucbs,carrots. With a choose of 4 dressings. The main course is roast pork , cheesey potates , green bean cassrole , corn pudding and roll. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
ellen

01/28/06
Hi, Jody,

This is a pretty practical menu for the event. I do not have an estimate of the number of people or what your kitchen situation is, and I need this info for advising.

All the foods you are asking about are in the quantity pages, if you will make the effort of estimating your amounts, I will check it for you.

jodi fryman
02/04/06
I'm sorry the guest list is 150. I need to keep it practical. However do you think it is too practical?
I have all the items I need. I have a old fashion flower cart that was my grandmother that my father motified to a salad bar with the ablity to ice everything down. I have glass buckets to sever the salads out of along with smaller glass buckets for the extra topping. We have a lg two door cooler ref in my butler kitchen. So space is not a problem. I have also purchased a chocolate fountain she wanted to do fruit also at her reception. I'm sorry I am new at the wedding thing. I have hosted alot of family meals with numbers around 45 however this amount of ppls are new to me. I don't want alot left over to have to deal with.
Ps. when I host at home I always have small take home boxes for the family. Do you think it would be tackey to have some at the wedding?
ellen
02/04/06
Hi, Jody,

Usually at a wedding the only take home boxes are small boxes for pieces of wedding cake.

By having only one entree, you reduce the likelihood of leftovers. For the salads just keep in mind that you want to end up with a TOTAL of 1 gallon for every 10 people, including all the kinds. The veggie tray page will help, as wll the quantity page ofr salads, wich has all different kinds.

Chocolate fountains are rather messy, but if she has her heart set on it, allow 3=4 pieces of fruit and poundcake per person.

Allow 1/2 cup per person for each vegetable casserole and 3/4 cup potato casserole. %-6 ounces cooked boneless meat. Applesauce or fried apples are an awfully good side dish with this menu.

jodi fryman
02/05/06
Thank you. So you mean I will need 1 gallon of each salad I serve? Like 10 gallons for 100 ppls of potaot salad 10 gallons of pasta and so one? So You would suggest another entree? What do you think I should chose? I totally agree about the mess of a chocalot fountain but her heart is set on it. I have planned to cover that table clothing with a clear plastic and have a small clean up bucket under the table for clean up as needed. Wow I never thought of apples or a dessert I guess I just thought the cake would be ok. But I think the apples are a wonderful idea. Thanks....
ellen
02/05/06
Non, use 1 gallon TOTAL for each 100, so potato plus pasta plus slaw plus cottage cheese is 10 gallons per 100.

One entree is fine,! Simple and you are having the cheesy potatoes which can act as an entree for any vegetarian or non-pork-eating guests. This menu is fine. You might want to add small bowls of mints and/or nuts -6 pounds per 100 persons-for color and attraction.

jodi
02/09/06
Each setting will have a speciality hand poured mint which is doubling for a place card. Do you think I need more than that? Should the nuts be place on each table or at the buffet or slad bar? And were would you place them? This site is wonderful I'm glad I wondered upon it.....
ellen
02/09/06
Mints and nuts would be great on the dessert table and possible mints at the coffee table. The table card/mint sounds fine.
jodi
02/11/06
Ellan , I searched you site and found a recipe for "honey baked apples" is that whet you would suggest? I did some checking at my local bulk store since your recent e mail and I may purchase 25 lbs of already cores and slices ROME apples frozen for $23.50 do you think this would be a good way to go. How many bls will I need for 150 ppls? Ellan have you wrote a book that I may purchase?
ellen
02/11/06
Great buy. 25 pounds is plenty for 100 people.

I am publishing a CD of this site this spring, so people can use it when they are not on line. No book yet; I have been too busy expanding the website!

Paula
02/12/06
how many pounds of spaghetti would i need for 15 people and sauce
ellen
02/13/06
Go to the lotsa pasta page for lotsa info. Start with 1 pound of dry pasta for 4 dinner entrees.
fritz
03/26/06
Freezing Pasta
I would like to know if there are any freezable macaroni/pasta salads. I would like to be able to cook the week before the event if possible.
ellen
03/26/06
Fritz, I have not found any good frozen pasta salads. Do consider another dish! For example, a marinated artichoke heart salad or 3 bean salad can be made ahead, is great and easy.
Sherrie Waugh
04/21/06
I am planning my daughters graduation party and I need to know some amounts. We are planning on 200 people. I am serving pulled pork, shredded chicken (on buns), potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, cheese tray, veggie tray (broccoli, carrots, caouliflower, celery and olives), nachos& cheese, cake, and we are having a chocolate fountain.
ellen
04/21/06
You can get the veggie trays in the veggie tray pages. Sandwichs, allow 1/2 cup meat (that is about 1/4 pound meat) per bun unless they are extra large. Probably will be equal amounts of pork and chicken unless you are in a region where one is heavily favored. Teens usually eat about 1 1/2 sandwiches on average.

There are recipes for 100 for the other items that will give you a guide for amounts- just double. Cheese 5-7 pounds per 100 people. Nachos, check the queso recipes.

Chocolate fountain: 43-4 strwberries, 3 cubes of poundcake, a couple of big marshmallows per persn.. I like chocolate fondue better- much less messy and better chocolate.

There are several sheet cake recipes on the site such as simple yellow cake for 100 that will fill the bill for hume made cake.

Km
05/08/06
I am planning for 100 people...daugther's graduation party. Need to know how much of each item to buy for the following:
country ham
dinner rolls (small)
veggie tray (broccoli & carrots only!)
strawberries and fruit dip
spinach balls
cheese
crackers
graduation cake
punch
water
ellen
05/08/06
Hi, Km,

Nice menu. All these items are covered in the quantity lists in Big Pots, including desserts and beverages; there are even separate pages for fruit trays and veggie trays, including info about amounts of dips.

With small dinner rolls allow 2 each, you will have some left over but they do freeze.

For the spinach balls, cheese and crackers, you want about 6 pounds of cheeses and the same of crackers, and 1/4 cup spread/dip/ball per person, which is about 6 quarts.

Cindy
05/09/06
Hey Ellen...just found your site and it seems very helpful. My church is preparing a meal for 50 people who want oven-fried chicken and baked ham, parsley-potatoes, green beans and baked corn. With 2 meats, how much of each meat should I prepare? Thanks!
Wanda
05/09/06
How many potatoes to make potato salad for 25 people, some are children and will not eat it.
also, how many cans of beans for bake beans for 25 people.
Thank you so much.
please email me
ellen
05/09/06
Cindy, what I do with two equally popular meat, is figure out how much I would need of each if it was the ONLY one and then make 60% of each, yes this adds up to 120%, but people eat more when there are two meats- basically, you want up to 7 ounces of cooked ready to eat boneless meat per person. In your case, 1 piece of chicken and 1 serving 4-5 ounces of slice ham.

Wanda, can't email with no email address... but you want to start with about 9 pounds of potatoes. 1 #10 can, or 6 #2 1/2 cans of beans is 25 1/2 cup servings, usually enough for 25 people when you also have poatato salad, unless they are big bean fans in your region.

Debbie
05/09/06
I have a graduation open house the first part of June. I want to serve tacos for 200 people. How many pounds of hamburger, refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese should I have?
ellen
05/10/06
Debbie, this is a frquent request, I have posted taco bar info with the big Tex Mex recipes in Big Pots. Viva fiesta!
Lynn
05/14/06
I am serving shredded roast beef with barbeque sauce on buns with beans, chips and a salad for my sons graduation. We are planning on 250-300 people, though some may not eat as there are alot of other receptions going on. I was just wondering about how much roast is usually figured per bun. I have the roasts cooked ahead with bones and fat removed, shredded with fork and scissors, bbq sauce added and then placed in gallon ziplocs to freeze. I am just trying to decide how much. Thanks.
ellen
05/15/06
5 full size sandwiches per pound. If you use smaller buns it will be 6-8, depending on size of buns. 1 pound of cooked, boneless meat makes 2 1/2 cups plus a bit with sauce, as you can see that is 1/2 cup.
Lisa
05/15/06
I am having my son's graduation party. I will be serving chicken, ham slice, meatballs, mashpotatoes, gravy, pasta salad, taco salad. I am not sure how much to prepare. I mailed 80 inivations out.
ellen
05/16/06
Teens eat more. Talk to your son about how many folks might come and how many will stay how long; at this time of year there are often several parties the same night, which affects turnout and also how much they eat. If this is at mealtime, I would use the quantities for 100 and select some items that can be used by you if not used for the party. For example, sliced ham will keep, taco salad won't, so put the taco salad ahead of the ham on the table.

You want 1 total of about 9 ounces of meat/entree for each person.

Kim
05/18/06
Ellen,
Grad party time! keeping the menue simple. I want to serve sliced ham sandwiches on buns and sliced turkey sandwiches on buns. How many pounds of ham and turkey should I get? I have no idea how many people will come to the party, but I am thinking around 100 as I have sent out about 50 invites.
ellen
05/19/06
There is a sandwich event planning guide in the Big Pots planning section that covers condiments, bread/rolls and cheese as well as meats. I think this will help you make good estimates.
Alisha
05/19/06
I was wondering how many pounds of hamburger would I need to make BBQ's for 25 people? How many pounds of potato salad to serve 25? And also how many pounds of baked beans to serve 25 people?

Thank You,
Alisha

ellen
05/20/06
Alisha, 1 pound chuck or leaner for each 4 sandwiches, if you use regular hamburger, 1 pound for each 3 sandwiches. I would get 1 gallon of potato salad and 1 #10 can beans for the base of each dish. For commercial potato salad, it improves with adding chopped hardboiled egg, some chopped bell pepper or celery and maybe some good mustard. There are some suggestions for improving canned baked beans in the site.

You can check the sandwich even page ofr info on how much tomato, lettuce, pickles and other condiments-

melissa bowers
05/21/06
I am hosting a family reunion for 150 people ,about 45% kids , I am suppling the meat;grilled chicken and hot dogs and hamburgers.I need to know the portion per person so I know how much to buy
ellen
05/21/06
I generally figure 1 hot dog per kid, 1 chicken per adult and 1 burger each. This always seems to give plenty. In a group this size yu may want to add 1 package of garden burgers or boca burgers; there will be some vegetarians in the bunch.
melissa bowers
05/21/06
Thank you very much. Your info was greatly needed. We want enough but not alot left over.
cheryl
05/23/06
How many pounds of pork should I buy to make shredded pork for 100 people
ellen
05/23/06
For sandwiches, you want 1/2 cup per sandwich, 1.2 to 1.5 sandwiches per person. 1 pound boneless raw pork makes 2 cups of sandwich pork, so figure out how many sandwiches you want and then multiply.
Erika
06/12/06
How many pounds of sliced ham would I need to purchase for 100 people? I am thinking most people will eat two sandwiches. Thank you.
ellen
06/13/06
If you use the deli sliced ham, you can get away with 1 pound for each 3 personsk as long as there are plenty of fixings and cheese. The amounts for the fixings are listed on the sandwich event page quantity table.
Teresa
06/13/06
How do you decide how much per person you need on a meat and cheese tray?
ellen
06/14/06
It is based on the longtime experience of what people serve themselves in different situations. For example, I use somewhat diffwerent numbers for daily planning of menus than for the party quantities I haver posted. But for a mealtime party, you want about 5-6 ounces of edible meat and about 2 ounces of cheese per person, plus breads and sides.
janet
06/15/06
Hi I am catering a wedding for 100 people chicken enchiladas cheese enchiladas rice, beans veggietrays fruit trays cheese and crackers how many veggie trays etc should I make I have 16" platters.
ellen
06/16/06
Use the quantities for 100 tables and the Tex mex recipes for 100, the fruit tray page annd the veggie tray page to plan your amounts.
Tricia
06/25/06
How many pounds of hamburger should I get for a party of 60 to serve grilled burgers. We will also have hot dogs. What's a good way to figure out how much of each we should have, short of requesting a count in advance?
Brittney
06/25/06
How many flats of strawberries do I need to serve 50 people using a chocolate fountain at a Bridal Shower
ellen
06/25/06
tricia, I like a good sized burger for a party, I allow 1 pound of regular hamburger for each 3 people and make them myself. I prefer fresh chicken sausages, kielbasa or polish sausage over hot dogs, and allow 1 per person when cooking along with hamburgers for adults.

Brittney, I just did a thread on chocolate fountains. It depends on what ypu are serving along with and the size of the berries- you have to allow 2 berries per person, which is enough if there are other choices, but the count in the basket ad the fullness of flats varies. You want about 4 if there are no other iems for dipping.

Brittany
06/26/06
I have about 450 people attending my wedding and we have 200 pds of pork and about 100 pds of chicken. We are also having potato salad and pasta salad and veggies and fruit. Then we have chips and pretzels. How much more food do I need? Our reception is starting at 5:30pm right after the wedding.
ellen
06/26/06
Hi, Brittany,

Have yopu hgired your help/servers? Even buffet, for this many people you will need 25.

Assuming cooked pieces of chicken, that is enough for 150 entrees. The pork, if that is the raw weight roast, boneless, 400, if bones/ribs, 200, if cooked ready to serve 600. People will eat dinner-size portions, so you want 1 gallon (8-10 pounds) total sides for each 10 people. I presume you are counting beverages, coffee, nuts and mints for the tables, etc? At a wedding reception it is frequently done to provide a small selection of appetzers (6 "bites" per person) for the hour before dinner while the wedding party is oing pictures, changing clothes, etc. Since people can't start eating dinner till you get there, what are they to do for that hour?

Please do read my article on self catering your wedding, there are lots of thungs to plan beyond the food quantity. Remember you can have a portion of the

All these item quantities are in the various plan for 100 tables in Big Pots.

ellen
06/26/06
As I was saying- remember you can have a portion of the food brought in by a caterer ready to serve, you don't have to have a caterer do it all or you do it all.
Karen
06/26/06
I have read and reread, calculated and recalculated, could someone give me a sanity check that I am planning on the correct amounts for my daughters wedding reception for 100+ people 4 in the afternoon.

Menu

Horderves
Shrimp & cocktail sauce 3 lbs, 2 jars
Cheese & crackers 3 boxes, 2 lbs
nacho chip & salsa 3 bags 1 jumbo jar
chips & dip 3 bags 3 containers
ham rolls 3 lbs

Punch 4 gallons
water 4 cases
champagne 1 case
nonalcoholic champagne 3 bottles

Meal
potato salad 15 lbs of potatoes
pasta salad 3 lbs dry pasta
coleslaw 1 large head cabbage
macaroni salad 3 lbs dry macaroni
fruit salad 1 each watermelon, bunch grapes, honeydew, qt strawberries, peaches
chicken 50 lbs raw with bone (pieces)
ribs 9 racks
hotdogs 3 lbs
hamburgers 8 lbs

desert
wedding cake for 75 people
pies 6 assorted pies

thanks in advance

ellen
06/30/06
Hi, Karen,

Not ignoring you; it takes a while to check such a comprehensive list.

Hors d'oeurves
Shrimp & cocktail sauce 3 lbs, 2 jars
usual serving is 3 ounces per person, 5 people per pound, so 100 people would be 20 pounds. Shrimp is extra popular, never any leftovers
Cheese & crackers 3 boxes, 2 lbs
usual served alone is 7 pounds cheese per 100, so you want at least 3 1/2 pounds- 50
nacho chip & salsa 3 bags 1 jumbo jar
usual is 8 pounds for 100, so 4 for 50
chips & dip 3 bags 3 containers
usual is 6 pounds per 100, but allow 3 1/2-4 for 50
ham rolls 3 lbs
will only make 48 1 ounce rolls- do you want 1 per person? Double.

Punch 4 gallons
suggest 5
water 4 cases
champagne 1 case
just for the toast? 1 bottle pours 5 to 7 glasses. You can buy from a liquor store that will allow you to return unopened bottles
nonalcoholic champagne 3 bottles

Meal
potato salad 15 lbs of potatoes
might go 20
pasta salad 3 lbs dry pasta
might go 4
when you have two items, lots of people take some of each, increasing the total consumed
coleslaw 1 large head cabbage
usual is 16-20 pounds cabbage per 100- see recipes on site
macaroni salad 3 lbs dry macaroni
OK
fruit salad 1 each watermelon, bunch grapes, honeydew, qt strawberries, peaches
this will only make about 50 smallish servings- is that what you had in mind

chicken 50 lbs raw with bone (pieces)
OK- about 70 servings
ribs 9 racks Unless you cut these into single ribs, you will be very short- you need enough for 2 ribs per person. Very popular, everyone will want some
hotdogs 3 lbs
kids?
hamburgers 8 lbs

dessert
wedding cake for 75 people
If this is the estimate from the cakemaker, keep in mind that a wedding cake piece is about 1/2 the size of a regular piece. I would probably go for 100 size, or add a groom's cake (chocolate)
pies 6 assorted pies
This will make about 50 small pieces, stick with one kind or you will have folks taking more than one piece.

Maude
07/03/06
improving canned baked beans
How can I improve canned baked beans
ellen
07/03/06
Look at the recipe for improving canned baked beans on the beans for 100 page- quite a few ideas.
Matt
07/05/06
im feeding 600 people salad and using romaine lettuce as well as leaf crowns mixed together how much of each should i use to feed all of them,
ellen
07/07/06
If you look in the plan for 100 pages, thee is a whole section on salads, dressings, etc. I would use the ceasar saladx3 for the romaine amount and the tossedx3 for the other lettuces, or split the mix to your own taste.
clare
07/13/06
Caterers are providing a cold buffet for our wedding, for 100 people at 5pm, but we are providing the evening refreshments at 9pm. We want to supply mixed soft and hard cheeses, french bread, crackers, and fresh fruits (including pineapple, grapes and apples). How much do you think I need of each?
Many thanks, clare
ellen
07/13/06
It would be helpful to know what you are having for dinner and whether that incudes serving the cake and /or other desserts. Also, is this an all adult wedding where everyone will be staying and dancing or will a number of people elders, families with children) go home after dinner?

I would estimate 2-3 ounces per person of cheeses, with half that being cream cheese logs, potted spreadable soft cheese and cream cheese blends. 6-7 pounds of crackers. About 7 pounds of breads, and I would probably use some cocktail loaves of light and dark rye along with thinly sliced narrow baguettes, to give cracker size pieces.

For fruits, see the fruit platter page and make 4 25 person trays. Use a variety of soft fruits including melon slices or chunks, whole strawberries. Fresh pineapples are a labor intense prep, and you want some other choices. If cut, the apples must be dipped in orange juice or fruit fresh to prevent browning, if uncut they will mostly be left.
If you have served cake but not other desserts at supper, now would be the perfect time to put out trays of cookie bars and cookies, Homemade over the weekends before the wedding and frozen, cut into quite small pieces, about 2 bites each, allow 2-3 per person.

debby
07/17/06
Wedding Reception - 200 guests - menu - bbq, fried chicken, baked beans, cole slaw, rolls, fruit table, - how many pieces of chicken, how many pounds of cole slaw and how many gallons of baked beans?
ellen
07/17/06
Hello, Debby,
Since I have posted all my quantity for 100 planning guides, you can make these estimates for yourself.
All these items are covered in the quantity lists in Big Pots, including planning bbq plates, desserts and beverages; there are even separate pages for fruit trays and veggie trays, including info about amounts of dips. 65 pounds of chicken pieces, bone in, make enough chicken for 100 people. BBQ depends on what you are barbecuing, ribs, brisket, etc.
Wendy
07/20/06
I am making mixed vegetable for a wedding reception for 150 people. Broc, cauil, & carts. How much do I need if it is frozen?
ellen
07/28/06
You need 1 pound for each 4 to 5 people, and they will hold better and taste better with a little sauce.
maria
08/21/06
i would like to know how to choclate cake
ellen
08/21/06
? I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question.
Valerie
08/22/06
I am having my family for Thanksgiving. I am expecting 25 people. How much turkey, ham and mashed potatoes will I need. Also, how do I make ahead and freeze mashed potatoes?
ellen
08/22/06
At the top of the Big Pots Index, there is full info on planning/shopping for the menu. See the "Freezable, Holdable Mashed Potatoes" recipe on the Big Pots index page.
ann
08/23/06
I am serving about 250 people. how much cheese and meat would I purchase for cheese and meat trays?
ellen
08/23/06
Check the quantity table on the Picnic and events page. It gives the measures for teens, receptions, as well as made and self serve sandwich lunches.
Patsy
08/27/06
I am planning a wedding reception(my first) for 125 people. Serving meat balls,smokies,cream cheese/pineapple sandwiches,veggie tray and fruit tray.Please help me with the amount needed.Is there a chart available that I can use? When serving 2 meats do you fix same amount of each as if serving one meat? Thanks so much for your help.
ellen
08/27/06
You want to go to the big pots section and use the veggie tray, fruit tray, and appetizer planning sections. Also the sandwich section has quantity tables. When you have made your estimates, I will be glad to check them for you.

With meats, if you make chicken and beef, you allow 5 ounces of beef and 3 ounces of chicken per person. If you are making equal amounts, you make 1/2 what you make, but add an additional 10% to esch- people eat more and some of each when there are several entrees.

amy
09/17/06
i am making wedding punch for around 100-150 people. how many gallons would i need to make?
ellen
09/18/06
Go to the beverage planning page for help. Don't forget the coffee! Use dinner amounts and provide both caf and decaf.
Ansley
09/29/06
What sixe cake pan do I need to feed 75 people?
and how many boxes for cake mix do i need ?
ellen
09/29/06
A 9x 13 single layer, which takes 1 box of cake mix, cuts 12 to 20 squares, depending on how big you want the pieces. It is called a quarter sheet. A full sheet is usual for this number people.

5-6 boxes of cake mix would be plenty for 75 people. You do NOT want to bake it all in one pan in a home oven- besides, people will enjoy it more if you make 5 or 6 separate cakes.

Michelle
10/04/06
My wedding will be in May. We're going to have a taco bar with both shredded chicken and hamburger. How much would I need of each if I have a guest list of 300 people?
ellen
10/04/06
Allow enough for about 225 people for beef and 175 for chicken. yes that adds up to more than 300, but people eat more and both when two are available. You can reduce the amount of meat eaten if you offer beans and rice also.
melinda
10/05/06
How many pounds of ham(whole) should I buy to feed 8 people?
Michelle
10/05/06
How many pounds of hamburger and chicken would you think I'd need if I did serve beans & rice for 300 people?
Jan
10/06/06
Great site, thanks for service. Having low-key, casual lunch for 50 adults on 10/14. Make own sandwiches (how many loaves), w/sliced meat+cheese, spreads(catsup/mustard/mayo/etc. Cut up veggies(carrot, celery, broc, tomato, pepper), sliced pickles, fruit, nuts, chips, dips. Drinks are coffee, tea, caf/decaf, water, milk, soda pop. I am in LA, CA. How many for @?
cindy
10/10/06
100 people
Volleybayll parents are serving sloppy joes one night of game and pulled pork sandwiches another night. Is 25 pounds of hamburger correct and 25 pounds of pork correct amts for 100 sandwiches?
Tabatha
10/12/06
I need to make vegetable trays to serve 400 people. I'm not sure how much to buy of each of the following items.. I would like to include:

Black olives
green olives
celery
broccoli
tomatoes
green peppers
pickles
carrots
cauliflower
red peppers
cucumbers
ranch dip

Please let me know if you would be able to provide this information. The party is scheduled for 10-27-06.

Thank you so much!

ellen
10/13/06
Melinda, whole raw bone in uncooked, at least 6 pounds.

Michelle, 1 pound raw boneless chicken (thigh meat is juicier) PLUS 1 pound raw hamburger for each 5 persons.

Jan, all these quantities are covered on the sandwich even page and the veggie tray page. Use 1/2 the amount for 100.

Cindy, 25 pounds of hamburger is fine- there won't be much leftover- but I would go with 30 on the pork- shrinks more and is more popular.

Tabitha, Check my veggie tray page. I think all the info you need to make your shopping list is covered there.

denice
10/14/06
My daughter is getting married an I and the Grooms Mother are preparing the food. How much of the following will we need for 175 people.
Hot Roast Beef and Turkey, Mash Potatoes,Both Gravies, Rolls,Italian Sausages and Peppers,Corn,Green Beans,Sweet Potatoes,Macaroni and Potato Salad. What a wonderful site this is. Thank You So Much,
ellen
10/14/06
You want to go to the big pots section and use the plan for 100 tables and the veggie tray, fruit tray, and appetizer planning sections. Also the sandwich section has quantity tables. When you have made your estimates, post them and I will be glad to check them for you.

A basic shopping list that would be useful for you is the shopping list in the holiday dinner (turkey cooking) section. You basically have a Thanksgiving dinner with beef and sausage added.

With three meats, you will have to make about 75 servings of each, as peple tend to take some of each, and to take more, when there are several offered.

Melinda
10/19/06
I am getting married in 2 weeks I am feeding 100 people I would like a couple of good ideas for little ideas for just side dishes that would be easy and cheap to make. Please the desperate Bride
ellen
10/19/06
What ntime of day is the reception and what kitchen/serving facilities do you have?
colleen
10/22/06
ffod amounts for a turkey diiner for 100 people
I have a catering to do for church next weekend for 100 people. They want a turkey dinner, how much food will I need. They want turkey, diced carrot, mashed potatoes - 2 scoops, 1 scoop of mashed turnip and frofen peas? Please help!
ellen
10/22/06
Colleen, complete turkey dinner info on the top of the Big Pots page- shopping, everything.
amber
11/17/06
my inlaws are coming and making thanksgiving dinner she told me to pick up the turkey, how many lbs do I need for 5 adults?
ellen
11/17/06
A 10 to 12 pound turkey would be way plenty, while easy to roast. When you are looking/comparing, you want the widest breast you can find. If frozen, allow thawing time of 24 hours for each 5 pounds in the refrigerator (in other words, from the freezer to the fridge on Monday). There is a lot of turkey info in the holiday cooking section of big pots.
Beth
12/12/06
I am planning a meal at church for approx. 175 people. I will be serving ham turkey green beans corn and mashed potatoes. How much of each would i need?
ellen
12/13/06
Beth this is completely covered in the holiday cooking section of Big Pots. See the shopping section. Allow 5 ounces of cooked ready to eat turkey and 3 ounces cooked ready to eat ham per person.
Glenda
01/12/07
I need a recipe for a sheet cake to feed 250 for a Valentine's party. I realize I'll have to do it in several pans, I just needed to know about how many cake mixes, and icing to buy. Thanks.
ellen
01/13/07
1 two layer box makes 1 9x13 pan, which is called 1/4 a sheet cake and counts as 12 large or 24 smallish pieces. For sheet cakes you do not need extra icing- no layers- so just allow 1 box for each box of cake mix.
cindy
01/23/07
iam planing a wedding reception and i need to know how much meat and cheese and buns to get to feed 180 people, roughly how much of each per person? thanks so much for your help.
ellen
01/23/07
Check the appetizer planning page and especially the sandwich event page, depends on time of day, type of meal, etc.
Sue
01/27/07
ellen,

I need to know how much pork loin to buy to feed 125 people.

ellen
01/27/07
Check the plan for 100 page meat section.
Gena
02/02/07
I am getting married in July. I will be cooking the food 3 hours away and then transporting it to the wedding site. I will be having smoked turkey, smoked pork, and possible smoked ham for sandwiches on buns, with potato salad and macaroni salad, baked beans and chips. This is for about 100 or so people. I will hopefully have all of the meat partially frozen, if not frozen. I am wondering how to get it from one location to the next. I have considered dry ice or regular ice in the bed of a pickup. It seems like a lot of food if we want to use coolers. We are on a tight budget. We are cooking in Kansas where my mom's restaurant is and taking it to his mom's house where the wedding will be. His aunt will be making our cake at his mom's so her kitchen will be crazy enough as it is. I also am wondering if the salads will be enough if there are any vegetarians there? Thanks! One more thing...how do we serve these items? Do we need to keep them on ice? Or will food safety not be an issue if it is gone within a certain amount of time. I don't want any food poisoning at my wedding reception. How many people do I need to ask to help with this buffet style meal? My family will do all the preparing. How many people do we need to watch over the buffet table? Do we really need coffee for the meal?
Candy Herzog
02/02/07
fish fries are starting soon. how many people does 20lbs of shredded cabbage made into slaw with oil and vinegar serve?
ellen
02/02/07
Gena, you have massive food safety issues here. Yes you need to keep things cold for serving, but the transport is equally an issue. Consider renting a refrigerator truck that you can plug in when you get there. The cake should be done the day before for sure, not day of; plus you need kitchen space there. See my article on catering your wedding for ideas about help.

Candy, this is 100 peoples' worth of slaw.

kendra
02/03/07
How many cake mixes does it take to make a quarter sheet and how many cake mixes does it take to make a half sheet?
ellen
02/04/07
A quarter is one 9x13 pan, i box.
Helen McGee
02/22/07
I need to know how many briskets and how many pounds of potatoes for potatoe salad and how many cans of beans for baked beans to feed 125 people?
ellen
02/28/07
60 pounds brisket, 45 ppunds potaoes, 5 #10 cans beans.
Jackie
03/11/07
We are having a picnic with about 300 attending. For my part I have to provide the cheese trays, vegetable trays, meatballs and chicken wings. Can you tell me how much of each to purchase.
ellen
03/12/07
See tys.or the veggie trahe appetizer page for planning, plus 7-8 pounds cheese per 100 persons plus see the veggie tray page f
C'Dale
03/19/07
My daughter is getting married in three weeks. How many pounds of lettuce and how many pounds of baked beans will feed 300 people?
ellen
03/19/07
see the plan for 100 page for many differnt choices on salad, and the beans for 100 recipes to get amounts, multiply times 3.
iris
03/20/07
200 people
Ellen, We are having a lunch buffet for 200 people, serving fried chicken, bone-in ham, fresh peas, mashed potatoes and large rolls. How much of each do I need to purchase in order to serve for this event. Thanks!
ellen
03/23/07
wHEN YOU SERVE 2 MEATS THAT ARE EQUALLY POPULAR, make 60% of each, of the amount you would use if you were only having 1. That makes 120%, because people eat more and some of each when two meats are offred. The other items are covered in the plan for 100 page, just double the amounts for 200.
Tammy Deese
03/25/07
amount of food for dessert reception
My daughter is getting married in 3 weeks and we are having a dessert reception. There will be 250-300 guests. We have the wedding cake... but also will be serving numerous dessets, fruit trays, and cheese trays. How much do you suggest? Thanks!!!
ellen
03/26/07
Tammy, as discussed on the appetizer planning page, the amount depends on time of day- between meals or at a meal time. I have separate aritcles on fruit trays and veggie trays and there is dessert planning help also in the plan for 100 areas. You just multiply by 2.5 or 3
Suzy
03/29/07
Hi Ellen,
I am catering my mom & dad'd 50th anniversary. The reception is from 1pm to 3pm.
We are estamating 150 people, but it's hard to tell, as it's an open house, and it's also Easter Weekend.
Here are the amounts I have calculated. Would you please check my figures before I go shopping? I really appreciate your site!
15 Gallons Punch (Sherbert & 7-up)how much soda/sherbet to buy?
35 Lbs. total Ambrosia, Greek Salad & Shrimp Salad
300 assorted canapes
15 Lbs. veggies & dip
10 Lbs. Cheese cubes
crackers~How many?
40 Lbs. meatballs
5 Lbs. mints
7 Lbs. nuts
Thanks for your help!
ellen
03/30/07
You need about 6 canapes or bites per guest, plus you could use some hot dips in place of some, counting 1/4 cup as a serving/bite. Develied eggs would be one seasonal and inexpensive addition- each 1/2 counts as one.

You could double the shrimps salad and still not have too much. I usually allow 3 ounces per person.

Crackers are generally 6 pounds per 100.

Please see the great punch info in the punch thread and at the links I recommend.

Kathleen
04/06/07
I am having a ladies tea for 60 and serving chicken and ham salad sandwiches which will be cut into fourths. How much of each meat do I need to serve this many? Should I decide to serve the salads on lettuce leaves instead of bread how much meat would I need for that? Thanks!
ellen
04/06/07
only about 2 ounces spread per sandwich, but one of each type for each person. For tea sandwiches, the bread should be thin and the spread no thicker than the bread. You will use more on lettuce- see the guide for chicken and tuna salad amounts in plan for 100- and make 2/3 ith amount for 100
susan maslow
04/09/07
I am not much of a cook, however, I am making pasta sald for about 48 women.
I plan on using the following

tri color pasta
baby corn
cucumbers
cherry tomatoes
green peppers
black olives

can you tell me how much I need of each -
I know this is a small amount in comparison to your other questions, but please help me, thanks

Diane
04/10/07
Our church is having a fund raiser. How many lbs of beans and dry rice would it take to feed 200 people?
ellen
04/10/07
Hi, Susan, actually this is one of my favorite size groups, and this will be a pretty salad. See the salad section of plan for 100 and use 1/2 the amount for the pasta salad guide.

Diane, about 16 pounds raw rice and about the same amount dried beans. To add a nice meaty touch, you want 12-15 pounds total shredded beef pork or ham.

karen
04/10/07
We are doing a fundraiser of BBQ chicken for 500 people. How many pounds of chicken(leg quarters)do we need?
ellen
04/11/07
about 400 pounds
Brenda
04/17/07
I am having a chocolate fountain at a Prom and making some individual small cheese cakes for about 200 people. How much chocolate, fruit, punch, and cheese cake do I need?
ellen
04/17/07
There is a whole article on chocolate fountains- link on the new pages page, tells about dippers, cleanup, etc. For punch, see the beverages table link on Big Pots.
carolyn
04/24/07
catering a luncheon for 100 people. the MENU
grill chicken w/ linguine, bake pasta with ground beef and sausage,green salad,carrot and raisin,and seafood(imatation crab meat).pls. help church luncheon. thank you carolyn
ellen
04/25/07
Carolyn all these items are covered in the big pots section- salads and entrees in plan for 100, Full advice about the pasta casserole on the lotsa pasta page. I would make the chicken slices about 3 ounces each (that is about 9 persons for each 2 pounds of boneless, skinlees, breast for each 9 perdsons) and make 100- Some people will take 2 with no beef pasta but many will take som chicken and some beef pasta.

If you want to make an estimate and post it, I will check it for you.

Anthony
05/09/07
How many prime ribs it will take to feed 2oo people.
ellen
05/09/07
1 pound bone in raw standing rib roast per person in the usual allotment for party level servings because of cooking loss and waste. You could do 12-14 ounces with this many people.
bj
05/11/07
i'm catering a reception for 175 people requested foods are meatballs, chicken drummetts, finger sandwiches, fruit and cheese
trays, vegetable tray, punch, cold meat trays
how much do i need to serve a group this large
ellen
05/11/07
It depends on the time of day and the length of the party- please see my planning pages for appetizers, sandwiches and tea sandwiches, fruit trays and cheese trays, and beverages. They are pretty complete in relation to these foods, timing, etc. When you haveprepared your initial estimates I will be glad to check them for you.
Lori McNiff
05/12/07
I am doing a jack and jill party for 200 people, its outside at a fish and game club its for the bride and groom to be. the problem Im having is how much food to make. there menu is very big, this is like a very big picnic. first they are having fruit skewers, veggis and dip and chip and dips 2 different kinds this is at 2:00 then at four there main meal which is homemade chix tenders, lemon chix, sausage and peppers, ziti with marinara sauce and mac and cheese, tossed salad, rolls, and coffee and tea. IM not doing drinks, like soda, beer, wine or anything like that IM also not doing desserts. then later on around 7:00 or so they want to start grill for hambergers and hotdogs, they want potato salad and pasta salad with that. Its so much food for one party they through me for a loop. the people ages are ranged from kids to probably 65 and alot of 21 and 50 year olds
ellen
05/12/07
Lori, as I said on the other thread you posted on (chili) this is NOT ONE PARTY, it is really three separate events and should be charged as 3 separate events. That means they are looking at $35-45 per person. Have you talked this over with them? For this kind of money, there are a lot of other options.
Just as a minimum "for example", deli coldcuts instead of burgers and dogs would be way simpler, probably cheaper and tastier, if they are really planning both meals.
Also are they expecting the same 65 people to eat a full dinner at 4PM then a BBQ at 7 PM, or is this two different though overlapping crowds?
Lori McNiff
05/15/07
Hi Ellen,
I sat down with them and that was the menu they wanted I didnt dicuss the price yet but thats a great Idea with the meat and cheese plate for sandwiches. this is one party not 2 or 3, thats why I wasnt sure how much to make. Ill get back to you in a few days and try and talk them out of a few things. I was thinking, a few apps. for 200 ppl to start, then one pasta dish, sausage and peppers, chicken tenders, and a veggi like eggplant parm if they want 4 hot dishes, then a large tossed salad, and potato salad or something, rolls tha would be it does that sound better. thanks so much ellen your great
Mary
05/15/07
I'm hosting a small Bridal Shower. I'm going to be serving cold cuts, sliced cheese, salads, and a fruit mixture plus of course a 1/2 sheet cake. For beverages I'm serving coffee and cold drinks. Could you tell me how many pounds of cold cuts and cheese I should get? I was also going to making up a relish tray. Do you have any further suggestions?
Mary
05/15/07
I forgot to mention about how many people I had planned on coming to the bridal shower. There will be about 30-35 people.
ellen
05/16/07
Mary, it sounds very nice. I allow 1 pound of deli cold cuts for each three to at most four persons (more meat if the salads are light, less if they are heavy) and 1 pound sandwich cheese slices for each 6-8 persons. There in info on relish trays for 25 on the site- just use the search.
Glenda
05/22/07
I am serving hamburgers and hotdogs, at a family reunion. There will be approximately 100 guests and not sure what percentage will be children, how much meat will I need.
ellen
05/24/07
Hi, Glenda,
I allow 1 patty PlUS 1 hot dog per persn, for plenty, and I always suggest Polish sausages- tastierm and about the same price, Condiments are on the sandwich event page.
stew
06/03/07
ellen i am in charge of preparing enough pork
to feed 150 people. they want pulled pork
barbecue. i am planing on useings shoulder butt roasts. how many pound would i have to cook
ellen
06/03/07
just answered this question 5 minutesa ago on another thread. 2 pounds raw boneless shoulder cooks up to 5 hefty sandwiches. With heavy sides, 1 sandwich per person plus 10%. Self service add another 10%. Men add another 10%, but if teens or other heavy eaters make it another 20 percent.
Toni
06/06/07
How many pounds of cut-up pound cake (for dessert) would be required for a wedding reception for 100 people?
ellen
06/07/07
A typical slice is about 3 ounces- I assume you will have toppings of some kind?
mary
06/20/07
can cold cuts, like turkey, ham, etc. be frozen. If so, how long will they keep in the freezer
ellen
06/21/07
Yes, but only for a month, and thaw in the refrigerator or they get really dry/stale. Use within 1 week once thawed.
Susan
06/28/07
How many pounds of meat and how many heads of cabbage do I need to make cabbage rolls for 250 people?
ellen
06/29/07
Susan, what size serving are you planning, 1,2, 03 3; is it self serve or plated; and have you considered a cabbage roll casserole (made with layers instead of rolls, sometimes called "lazy woman's cabbage rolls"), much easier to make. Write back-
Susan
06/29/07
It is for a church dinner they want two cabbage rolls per serving. I would prefer the casserole but the others want the rolls --it will be served.
ellen
06/29/07
Hmm, they want the rolls, but you will be rolling them? What's wrong with this picture?

Seriously, this is a job for many people- some recipes can be made ahead and frozen, and this is what you need.

Also, you need the big secret for not scalding yourself to death taking the leaves off the heads- put them in the freezer overnight, so they are really frozen, instead of into boiling water, then thaw in the refrigerator overnight before peeling. The leaves get tender and peel off with little suffering, and no steaming kitchen.

Enjoy the discussion at this site, just use freezing instead of scalding to prep the leaves.

www.bloglander.com/cheapeats/2005/09/07/cabbage-rolls/

And see if this recipe looks like what you have in mind:
allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cabbage-Rolls-III/Detail.aspx

karen
07/01/07
Thanks for all your helpful info. Planning a buffet brunch for 175 people. While you are great with amount listings it is difficult for me to determine how much since the mix of food is so different for each affair. Lend me your estimates if you can for this menu:
Spinach Quiche
Egg Casserole
French Toast Casserole
Tuna Salad
Chicken Salad
Pasta Salad
Tossed Salad
Fruit Tray
Bagels and Cream Cheese
There will also be cakes, punch and tea, but I am okay with those amounts.
ellen
07/02/07
Karen, you need to tell me what time of day, so I know if they are likely to have eaten anything beforehand, also type of event including whether it is free or paid, and whether it is a mixed crowd or ladies mostly. All these things affect the amounts needed. Please write further.
karen
07/02/07
The time is around 11:30 a.m. immediately after a 10:00 a.m. Sunday morning church service. The brunch is sort of a reception to honor our new youth pastor who was just married out of state. We are thinking of substituting a Veggie Tray for the Tossed Salad and pre-making Bagel Sandwiches with the Tuna and Chicken Salad. It is a mixed crowd fairly even men/women counting teenagers as adults and not more than 20 elementary aged children. Thank you!!!
karen
07/02/07
Sorry forgot to include it is a free event even though you probably figured that.
ellen
07/03/07
Thanks, Karen,

Ok they will be basically starving! Get some Nesco type electric roasters for the breakfast casseroles.

I would not go with bagel sandwiches, they are hard to bite and filling squirts everywhere. Sunday clothes, you know... Good French or Kaiser or hoagienrolls , croissants, or ciabatta rolls are all better choices. And put the breads and spreads out so people can do their own. The sog factor, you know.

I would probably skip both the tossed salad and the veggie tray and might go with a spinach and artichoke heart casserole, asparagus casserole, or some other lovely hot veggie that has a creamy dippy sort of nature.

Please look at this cook talk message for more ideas and wonderful recipes from a real life brunch:

ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/6671.html

MAXINE
07/06/07
how many pieces of fried chicken legs & thighs to feed 20?

thanks

ellen
07/07/07
You want at least 2 pieces per person- I allow 5 for every 2 people myself- at least 15 pounds ready to serve. Plus the usual sides. For teens or all men, allow 3 pieces per person.
Marty
07/12/07
How many pounds of potatos will it take for
17 gallons of potato salad?
terry
07/12/07
how many cans of number 10 cans do i need to feed 150 people pasta as a side dish, was planning to cook at least 25 pounds of pasta.
salad as a side how much lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrots, onions, cabbage. thank you for your help.
ellen
07/13/07
Marty, it takes 9-10 pounds of potatoes to make a gallon, depending on whether you peel and how much of "extras" you put in.

Terry, I presume those #10 cans are sauce. See my
"Meaty Marinara Sauce for 100 servings" on the lotsa pasta spaghetti page. See the plan for 100 page for your quantities for salad.

Marty
07/18/07
I forgot to ask you how many eggs per l0 lbs of
potatoes do I need for Potato Salad.
Theresa Lane
07/18/07
How much chicken thighs (boneless skinless) do I need to feed 50 adults? I was going to cut them for skewers to grill. Thanks!
ellen
07/19/07
Marty, i like a dozen eggs for 10 pounds, 1 egg per pound is sort of bottom line for an eggy potato salad.

Theresa, I allow 2 pounds for 5 people for chicken only skewers such as yakitori style, 1 pound for 3 people if it is kebab style with veggies or fruits.

Linda
07/19/07
how many sandwiches do I need to make to feed 400 - 500 people at an afternoon come and go tea?
ellen
07/19/07
Lucky woman, I have just posted two articles on afternoon tea, with a guide for 250 people! So have a look at it and make double (see the new pages page or big pots page for links).
Sue
07/19/07
I am serving fruit at my daughters wedding reception. We are expecting around 200 people. I am planning on getting watermelons, cantalope, pineapple, and possibly strawberries. How many of each do you think I would need to serve everyone?
ellen
07/20/07
See the specifics on the fruit tray page. Get seedless watermelon, or take the time to remove the seeds.
Billy
07/25/07
I am making a bunch of horderves for a party, probably like 15 different things, including a big pasta salad and chopped salad. I want to know how many of each other horderve I should be making to feed about 80 people?
Thanks.
ellen
07/26/07
Billy, this depends completely on the time of day! If it is a mealtime period, people will eat about 1 1/2 pounds of food, total per person, if in between, about half that much. usually for 80 people, you would offer no more than 8 choices...
Amy
07/29/07
I'm preparing picnic food for 50-75 people. How much roast beef, potato salad and fruit should I prepare?
ellen
07/30/07
Deli sliced thin roast beef for sandwiches, 1 pound for every 3 people with 2-3 ounces of sliced cheese per person. For fruit, see the fruit tray page, for potato salad the plan for100 page or any of the potato salad for 100 recipes, and don't forget the condiments- list on the sandwich event page.
Karen
08/13/07
How many cake mixes do I need to make a 5 layer round wedding cake?
ellen
08/14/07
You don't say what size layers. Go to my favorite baking site: baking911.com
Sandy
08/14/07
Hi Ellen,
I am having a graduation party at a park and
am trying to calculate how much food to buy.
The party is planned from 2pm to 8pm
The menu is:
Roast beef sandwiches (aujue) on medium rolls
fried chicken
buttered baby red potatoes
corn on the cob
cold greek style macaroni salad
green tossed salad
veggie trays
cheese and cracker trays
cake
soda
water
boxes of wine
Thanks so much.
Sandy
ellen
08/14/07
Sandy, you have picked a very workable menu. As I have explained before, since I posted all my quantity tables in 2004, I don't do original estimates. All the foods you are interested in are in the tables: sandwich event page, plan for 100, veggie tray page, appetizer planning page, beverage planning page. Take a stab at making your own estimate, post it, and I will be glad to review it for you.

The length of time is basically over one meal, so the only thing that needs a lot of expansion ins the beverages, as explained on the beverage planning page.

brenda
08/21/07
I'm having a meet anf greet lunchoen for 100 people. How many #10 can of pasta sauce do I need?
ellen
08/22/07
A #q0 can is 12 1/2 cups, approximately. You use more sauce if it is thicker, less if thinner. So check the amounts on the lotsa pasta page and decide how much you need.
BOBBY
08/22/07
i'm feeding 175 people baked spaghetti this weekend. how much pasta,sauce,meet,and meetballs will i need.
ellen
08/22/07
See the baked spaghetti recipe in basic budget entrees in Big Pots.
Angela
08/28/07
Sloppy Joe
I'm feeding 75 people (men) sloppy joe, cole slaw, chips, cookies. I really need some help on how to figure how many pounds of hamburger is needed, as well, as cole slaw. Thank you!
Milton Schlough
08/28/07
How many pounds of watermelon would be required

to serve 100 people at a wedding reception?

ellen
08/29/07
Angela, Recipe with about 20 pounds of hamburger, 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of cole slaw (start with about 18 pounds of raw cabbage.)

Milton, about 75 pounds. If it is not a picnic, get seedless, or plan to seed out the watermelon during prep. The seeds are difficult in party clothes.

Nancy Phillipis
09/10/07
Ellen, How much pulled pork does it take to feed 250 people? Some priced it by the lbs. and another priced it by the gallon. How much will a gallon feed?
ellen
09/11/07
Nancy, on the sandwich event page, you will see estimates in gallons for tuna/chicken salad and you can use the same for the pulled pork. Basically a pound makes 3 excellent sandwiches, or 4 good ones, and you need about 1.2 sandwiches for a mixed adult crowd, 1.5 all men and 2.0 for football players.
Sandi Cuomo
09/12/07
Ellen - we are doing a nacho bar at work for 180 people...need to know estimates for the following

Chips
sourcream
beans
guacomole
cheese nacho cans
salsa
onions
chicken
beef

Thank you so much!!

jeffrey
09/13/07
amount for 125 people , 30 are kids
i would like to know how much ham, mixed vegetables, potatoes, salad and dinner roles is required. please.
ellen
09/13/07
Sandi, if you will read the tex max thread, most of your questions are answered. There is an easy nacho sauce recipe (search "nacho"). The rest of the toppings are like the baked potato bar for amounts. If you prepare an estimate and pot it- you can start a new thread- I will check it for you.
Kelly
09/24/07
I am having a birthday party for about 150 people and we are doing build your own taco. I don't know how what amounts to buy for lettuce, tomatos, onions, burger, cheese. Can you help me?
Michelle
09/24/07
I am throwing an anniversary party with approximately 60 people in attendance. We are having ham (sliced) sandwiches (small dinner rolls). Do you think 15 pounds of ham will be sufficient? We are also have assorted fruit & veggies, meatballs, rice, and potato salad. Will 5 pounds of potato salad cover it. Trying desperately not to have large amounts of left overs. Thanks so much for your help.
ellen
09/25/07
15 pounds is plenty since you also have the meatballs. I normally allow 2 GALLONS of potato salad for 65 people for a large picnic style meal, you could probably do fine with 1 1/2 gallons. % pounds will just be a dab for that size group...
Kelly
09/25/07
I am having a birthday party for about 150 people and we are doing build your own taco. I don't know how what amounts to buy for lettuce, tomatos, onions, burger, cheese. Can you help me?
Rita Miller
10/11/07
Nachos for 70 kids. I am using the 107 oz can of cheese which calls for 20 ozs of water. How many cans will I need.
Thanks!
Kara Townsend
10/11/07
I just found your website and am thrilled!
Just wanted to encourage you with a big
thank you and job well done!!!!!
ellen
10/11/07
Rita, Each can makes about 1 gallon, =4 quarts=16cups, and I allow 1/2 cup per person for snacking nachos and about 3/4 cup for dinner nachos, You use less cheese if you also supply refried beans or taco meat, and of course, the sliced jalepenos. One #10 can of the jalepenos is plenty. Amounts depend partly on if these are kid-kids or teens- plan the larger amount for teens.

Karen you are welcome. Thanks for the note.

Mandy
10/16/07
My Church is putting together a Harvest for Halloween. I have to prepare Sloppy Joe's for up to 500 or 600 people. How many pounds of hamburger do I need? Thank you
ellen
10/17/07
See my sloppy joe recipe in Big Pots and make it as many times as you need to for your guests. Nesco or other electric roasters are very desirable for heating and keeping warm without scorching.
Sherry
10/17/07
My daughter is getting married Dec. 15 and wants only horderves. We expect 250 people. It is at 2pm. This is the menu.

2 kinds of meatballs
cocktail franks
shrimp cocktail
fancy cut turkey and ham sandwichs
crabspread/hamspread rollups
chicken wings
fancy cut veggie pizzas
fruit tray
cheese and crackers

wedding cake and christmas cookies.

Our question is how much to plan for the shrimp, sandwhichs, and wings etc.

ellen
10/17/07
Hi, Sherry,

If the wedding is 11:00 or 12:00, people will not have eaten lunch and you will need more food, more or less meal level. If it is after 12, people usually eat before they come and are less hungry and you can use reception level food, which is less. The amounts also depend on how long the party lasts and whether there is alcohol served.

Since I posted all my quantity tables in 2004, I have not been doing original estimates on foods covered by the lists and these are. So, first read the article on self catering your wedding dinner or food event. Then, here are the pages you will want to check:

beverage planning
plan for 100
appetizers
sandwich events
fruit trays
dessert bar

Just a few hints-
*people will eat as much shrimp as you serve, so be sure to allow 3-4 ounces per person. You can serve Mexican style shrimp salad with the sauce already on and individually portioned, to control amounts.
*2-3 wing pieces, 2-3 suasages and 2-4 (depends on size) meatballs per person minimum. More if the party is over 2 hours.
*sandwiches and roll-ups all count as sandwiches. Equivalent of 1 total per person minimum.
*make sure the veggie pizza is cut in pieces that are only 2-3 bites and are not drippy
*cheese and crackers is at least 16-20 pounds per 100 people cheese and 6 pounds crackers. Use some cheese logs and spreads as part od the cheese
*cookies should be small, tea size, 2-3 bites. 1 of each falvor per person up to 4.
*wedding cake and grooms cake piece counts vary hugely from one bakery to another, The pieces are small/modest. You need 1 pice per person total counting both the wedding cake and the grooms cake.

Then when you prepare an intial estimate, post it and I will be glad to check it for you.

michelle
11/06/07
I am planning a wedding recpetion for approximatley 120 to 130 people. I am serving fruit salad, veggie tray, chips, baked beans, cheesy potatoes, shreded roast beef, shredded pork on buns with BBQ sauce on the side. How do I figure for portions.
ellen
11/06/07
you can use the plan for 100 page, the fruit tray page, the veggie tray page and the BBQ and brisket page. Each have tables for 100. You need 1 14 for 120. 1 1/3 for 130. Prepare an estimate and post it and I will check it for you.

When you do two meats that are equally popular for a buffet, you use 60%, NOT 50%, for each. People take mare and some of each when there are two choices.

Michelle
11/07/07
40 pounds of beef
40 pounds of pork
1/2 pound per person

30 pounds of assorted veggies

8 pounds of beans (baked beans)

30 Pounds of potatoes (cheesy potatoes)
we figured for more as people
typically take more than a 3/4 cup

The groom has requested to have a salad instead of fruit to cut expenses. Do you have suggestion?

ellen
11/07/07
Michelle, you give me no clue as to the number of people or the event-

veggies are enough for 120 people, beans for 100, potatoes for about 90-95. Meat is not clear whether it is raw or ready to eat, boneless, etc. If for sandwiches, you need bread/ rolls and condiments (see the sandwich event page).

By the time you do dressings and the add-ins, salad is not much cheaper than is-season fruit. The least expensive addition to the meal is one or two more vegetables. See my planning and shopping for a holiday meal guide in the top holiday cooking section of big pots. Send more info and clarify your question, if you need to.

Terry
11/18/07
We are hosting a co-ed, including 12 children, baby shower for my daughter. We are hosting it a hotel. There will be approximately 40 adults and 10-12 children ages 2-12 years of age. Among the adults will be 9 men with the remaining female. The time is 1:00 PM to 3:30PM. We will have a large cake and I would like to have a cold lunch plate. I don't have heating facilities or refrigeration (it is located near my home)and I needed some advice on the menu. I thought about doing the veggie and fruit platters, assorted crackers and spreadable cheese dip, nut assortment. My dilemma...do I use cold cut platters or prepared sandwiches on different types of crust bread, croissant, soft bread, etc. I wanted to include potatoe salad, chicken salad and some other type of salad for assortment, we considered a caterer but it is cost prohibitive because they would have to bring everything into the hotel, including heating and cooling implements. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.
ellen
11/18/07
Do NOT make the sandwiches- buy some nice baskets and cloth napkins to hold the breads, package the condiments in the disposable tupperware type things that can go into some pretty bowls (at the end, throw the leftover spreads, etc. and take the still unsticky bowls home to wash. Have a peanut butter and jam spread as an option for the kids. They also like Vienna sausages. Check the cold buffet for 25 in Big Pots for quantities and ideas and use not quite double the amounts

See the sandwich event page and the plan for 100 page for amounts on salads, spreads and condiments. You won't quite need half of the amount for 100.

Consider hiring a capable older teen to lead separate activities (art and games) for tyhe kids. You won't be sorry.

Terry
11/18/07
Thank you so much, you have solved my dilemma! I was a bit uneasy, after reading about premade sandwiches, but I wasn't sure about having everyone help themselves. I have planned activities and videos for the kids. I've made goody bags which include age appropriate arts and crafts items and other goodies. We have an older teen who will supervise them while they are eating and after the meal. A family member will be staying at the hotel and rented a suite, the kids will be taken there for movies when the time comes. I love your peanut butter/jam spread for the kids. Your website is a life saver and I'm thrilled to have happened upon it. I will surely pass it on to my friends and family. Thanks again.
Lynn Purvis
12/27/07
Can you use dry ice in punch? My daughter is getting married, and we thought it would be cool for the wedding puch to "smoke." But, we are not sure if you can drink the punch with dry ice. Thank you.
ellen
12/27/07
It is quite NOT recommended. Not only would the table be giving off carbon dioxide, but if anyone got a piece in their mouth or on their skin, they could be actually injured, it is like a bad burn.
Doug
01/06/08
Hi, I'm preparing a pork loin dinner for about 125 for the Knights of Columbus. Do you have any suggestions for what to serve with the pork.And could you tell me how much to buy of everything. Thank You , Doug
ellen
01/06/08
You can use the plan for 100 table and take 1 1/4 times the amounts to get 125.

With pork loin, how about baked sweet potatoes or a sweet potato casserole, or else a savory rice pilaf if you are going to make gravy. A deep green vegetable such as whole green bean medley, whole brocolli, or spinach souffle. An apple dish, either halves baked apples (I have a recipe up), red crab apples, or scalloped/ fried apples- not applesauce, too boring, and messy on the plate.

A fruit cobbler dessert such as peach, apple or cherry cobler- as tasty as pie and much less trouble.

Cheryl
01/12/08
I am catering a breakfast for 200. I am making baked eggs, spiraled sliced ham, fruit salad and would like to serve sausage & gravy w/bisquits. How many cans of sausage gravy do I need? Your site is awesome!
ellen
01/12/08
about 1/2 cup per person, but it is easy to make and.: much tastier- try it. Here is a recipe I posted in 2006.

You MUST use the black pepper. You MUST use whole milk. And yes, you actually add the bacon grease to the sausage grease. It's just a heart attack waiting to happen...

This is for 200 people:
* 25 pounds ground pork sausage
* 4 cups bacon grease
* 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 5 gallons whole milk
* 1/4 cup salt OR to taste- do taste while adding
* 2 tablespoons and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. Brown sausage in a roasting pan over medium-high heat. Set aside, leaving the drippings in the skillet.
2. Mix bacon grease into the sausage drippings. Reduce heat to medium, combine with flour, and stir constantly until mixture just turns golden brown. This take at least a half hour. If you burn it you have to throw it away and start over, so do not turn your back.
3. Gradually whisk milk into skillet. When the mixture is smooth, thickened, and begins to bubble, return the sausage to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 25 minutes, stirring, covering.
ellen
The sausage gravy recipe has a LOT of sausage. You can decrease the sausage by 1/3 or increase the gravy by 1/3 to 1/2 and still have plenty of chunks.

Use good sausage, of course; sage or hot is nice. If you have no bacon grease, butter is a possibility, but for heavens sake, if it is a feast, get the bacon grease. Some people add a little garlic or sage, or Tabasco, but die-hard sausage gravy fans will notice.

Also, it tends to separate if served standing on a buffet line-

anonymous
01/20/08
I would like to know about how much an adult eats compared to the average child. I'm talking 14+ as an adult; 13- as a child. I know that adults eat more but how much more?
ellen
01/21/08
You have neglected the third category, which are voracious eaters: teens. Also, kids vary a lot; through about 3rd grade, light; 4-7 grade medium; 7-10th, like normal adults; 10th to about age 22, unbelievable; above that regular adult, with women running about 10% less than men; after age 60, about 10% less than regular adult.

That said, adult women average about 2100-2300 calories per day, men about 2400-2600, teens over 3000, kids preteen about 200-250 calories per year of age.

ellen
01/21/08
PS, that is normal size, normal activity. Larger size, heavy activity can go way up.
cheryle
01/21/08
I am chairing a High School Charity Ham Dinner.
We hope to have 200 people. What would be the best kind of ham? What ounce serving should we do. Also, mashed potatoes, fresh or boxed?
Thank you.
ellen
01/22/08
See the plan for 100 page for the ham numbers, it gives both raw bone-in and sliced ready to eat. If yoou want to do mashed potatoes, I suggest my freezable holdable mashed potatoes, made in advance and frozen Mac and cheese is a simpler choice and even more popular, and will provide an entree for the non-ham-eaters.
Mary
02/05/08
Hi: I need to plan a 1 hour cocktail for 50 guest. we will be serving a Spanish menu and during the cocktail we will have, cured ham, manchego cheese, peppers, olives, spanish chorizo along with baguette and crackers. After the cocktail there will be a paella, salad and cake.
My Question: How many pounds of Cure ham and how many of cheese should be serve. Oh we will also have Spanish Tortillas for te cocktail.
Thanks
Mary
02/07/08
How Many ounces per person
Dear Ellen:
for hors d' oeuvres, how much should I calculate for 50 guests for 1 hour of ham and cheese per person. I will also have 2 additional passed hors d' oeuvres and dinner after the cocktal hour.
thanks
ellen
02/08/08
Hi, ypou want about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces cheese and 2 ounces ham plus your other hors doevres for this hour- about 8 bites all together per person.
Brenda
02/10/08
I am making cocktail size meatballs for a party of 100 people. How many pounds of hamburger meat do I need?
ellen
02/10/08
It depends on what and how many other meaty hors d. are being served, and how long the party is, but if this is the only/main meaty one, you want a recipe with 25 pounds ground meats.
Niki
02/11/08
I am hosting a valentine's banquet for 160 adults at my church. 75 have chosen boneless pork ribs. How much raw weight do I need--I will be buying the leaner ribs.

I will also be serving baked potatoes. Do I allow 1 per person even if they are the huge baking potatoes?

ellen
02/13/08
The country type boneless ribs are a pretty fatty meat with shrinkage, so I allow 3/4 pound per person; that is a generous portion when cooked, and you could go 10 ounces instead of 12.

Unless you split the potatoes yourself, such as twice baked, you do need to allow 1 per person, but no extra if they are large.

robert
02/15/08
I need to know how many pounds of scredded beef roast and what kind of roast to feed 250 people
Nancy
02/15/08
how do I thin out a topping for a french toast bak
Hi, I had made a topping for a french toast bake and I refrigerated it and it will not thin out like it was before I put it in. What can I do to thin it out so it is a nice consistancy.
ellen
02/16/08
Robert, is this for sandwiches, such as BBQ? For a sliced roast, you want 45-50 pounds boneless raw, but for sandwiches you could go with 40 or a bit less. Chuck roast makes a juicy shred, round or rump is quite a bit leaner. Cook low and slow to reduce shrinkage and tenderize.
rhonda
02/17/08
I'm planning to have a cold plate for 180 people for our wedding and i would like it to consist of a potatoe salad, 2 kinds of pasta, ceaser salad and coleslaw, turkey and ham, tomatoes, cucumbers. Our wedding is at 5:00 so do i need to have a veggie tray, cheese, crackers or salsa as a starter while they wait or could i have something else? Or do i need anything at all maybe just chips. We are also having a dance how many bags of chips would i need for this amount of people
ellen
02/17/08
Rhonda, are you serving this meal plated, or as a buffet? It really affects the amounts.

People will be quite hungry, so you are right about needing some hors d'ouevres while the wedding photos are done, etc. It is also important that people can see there is a meal coming, or they will gobble up the appetizers as if there is nothing else. Chips alone won't do.

That said, veggie tray plus cheese and crackers, plus one plated dip (7 layer, for example) or even a hot dip (bean, artichoke, etc) would be great. There is an appetizer planning page to help you with amounts.

As for chips for the dance, I allow 6 pounds potato chips or 8 pounds corn chips per 100 persons, plus dips.

Nicole
02/17/08
Hi
I just came across your web site need help with how much to buy to serve 100 people(33 teens,6 children and 61 adults)for a party on a saturday between the hours of 4-8 pm.
I will be getting food allready made. The hot trays say the sereve 20-25.
I would like to get
meatballs and gravy.
roast beef and gravy.
kielbasa and kraut.
sandwich platter witch says seves 20-25.
then a pepperoni and chees try serves 20-25.
I need to know how may of each to have enough food for all but not have to much extra.
Please any help will be great.
Thank you.
Nicole
Nicole
02/17/08
Hi
I'am sorry also want to know how much potato and mac salad I should buy for this party also.
Thanks again
Nicole
Rhonda
02/17/08
Hi, the meal will be plated with one scoop of every thing and cucumber, tomatoe and roll with each meal. I would like to know how much of everything i will need to do this. Thanks so much for all your help.
ellen
02/18/08
Nicole, as a rule I request my readers to make some initial estimate of their amounts, since I have posted all my quantity lists. However, you are very short of time for this, you have too many entrees to make an easy estimate, and the presence of this many teen complicates the estimates, so I will give some extended help.

First, number of peaople:
61 adults x 1, 33 teens x 1 1/2, 6 children x 1/2 equals about 112 to 115 persons' worth, or 1 1/8 times the amount for 100.
You must also add extra due to the many entrees- when there are a lot, people take more and some of each

The pepperoni and cheese platter will be treated as an appetizer, get 2, add one or two fruit or veggie trays.

I would get 2 sandwich platters, 1 kielbasa, 2 each meatball and roast beef. You will have some leftover, but this way everyone will have a chance to get what they like.

I would ADD a bowl of egg salad or peanut butter and jam for the kids and non-meat eaters- with this many teens, you will have some.

You want about 4 gallons of potato salad and 31/2 gallons of pasta salad. You need a condiment tray of lettuce, tomatoes, etc for the sandwiches- see my sandwich evernt page for help.

ellen
02/18/08
Rhonda, this is going to require quite a number of servers to plate it all up. I would also rearrange on the salads- this is 5 scoops of stuff plus the meats plus the tomato, cucumber and roll, which will leave the plate looking really jammed. If this is being served to tables, I would put the bread and butter/mayo on the tables, allowing 10 rolls for each 6 people approximately. I would put a bread and butter plate at each place. I would put a salad plate with the cucumber spears/slices, grape or cherry tomatoes,and either slaw or Ceasar, but not both, at each place. Then the plate would have 3-4 ounces thin sliced turkey, 2 ounces this sliced ham, a 1/2 cup scoop each of potato and one pasta salad, a dollop each of cranberry, mustard and mayo, and lettuce underneath. I would probably add an ounce of cheese and maybe a half a deviled egg for each plate. In a group this size, you are going to have some vegetarians.
nicole
02/18/08
Hi
Thank you so much for your help. I fiqure I need about 32 lbs of potato and about 24 lbs of pasta for my salads.
Thanks so so much.
Nicole
Lisa
02/18/08
I am catering an event for 100 people. We are in the oilpatch so most of the guests are fairly large men. I need some help on how much food to buy. The menu will be:

Prime Rib
Chicken
Brocolli Caserole
Carrots & peas
Mashed potatoes
Pasta Dish
Ceasar Salad
Tossed Salad
Cucumber salad

This is my first time doing such a large event. Can you help??

ellen
02/18/08
Nicole, you did great on the potatoes, but you only need about 8 pounds dry pasta for the pasta salad.
ellen
02/18/08
Hi, Lisa,
Nice menu, you don't say what is the eveent or type of service, and this affects amounts. Since I posted all the quantity lists in 2004, I ask readers to prepare their initial estimates and post them for comments, I don't do the initial estimates anymore (too many requests and too time consuming). All these items are covered in the quantity lists in Big Pots, including desserts and beverages; there are even separate pages for roast beef, fruit trays and veggie trays, including info about amounts of dips.

The things you need to know:

With large men, add 10% for extra quantity.
For self service/ buffet service, add another 10%. People serve themselves more when there are two entrees. Allow 1/2 cup of each vegetable. With both pasta and potatoes, the amount of potatoes depends on the type of pasta dish. The salads are covered in the plan for 100 pages,three is a lot, I would suggest two (cukes and romaine) with several dressings.

For beef plus chicken, you need to end up with 5 ounces MINIMUM cooked ready to eat beef PLUS 3 ounces MINIMUM cooked ready to eat chicken. There are yield tables for beef on the roast beef page and for chicken on the turkey and chicken yield page in the Big Pots holiday cooking section. Estimate then add the fudge factors above.

robert
02/20/08
I bought 60lbs of chuck roll. We're making shredded roast beef in roaster ovens and need to feed 300 people. How many more lbs of chuck roast should I buy? how many gallons of fruit punch concentrate should I buy for 300 people.and how many bottle's of wine should we buy 4 the toast of 300 people normal size flutes
ellen
02/23/08
Assuming shredded beef on buns, remember that you will shrink almost 1/3 with chuck. Assuming you want to have at least a sandwich per person, that is 1 pound cooked ready to eat for each 3 people, 100 pounds cooked ready to eat or about 140-150 pounds raw. For your beverages and wine, please see the beverage planning page.
robert
02/27/08
okay it's not going in a bun it's just shredded beef eaten with a tortilla with some spices in it
ellen
02/28/08
If these are the great big burrito size tortilla, you can figure 3 ounces cooked meat or 5 people per cooked pound. If they are smaller, people will want 2 and you are back to 4 ounces per person meat usage. You need ricw and beans to lower the meat usage
Jackie
03/04/08
Hi Ellen

I'm doing Hawaii cakes for about 300 people how many 1/2 sheets do I make and how many box cake mixes do I use for I half sheet pan

LUCILLE
03/07/08
160 persons ( Adults & teens)
I like to know how much food I need to buy to serve breakfast for about 160 persons.
Menu: Pancakes,sausages, scramble eggs.

Ho much butter,syrup

ellen
03/07/08
Jackie, 1 box for 12 persons, 2 boxes to three boxes for 1/2 pan (depends how thick you make the layer).

Lucille, See the breakfast planning page.

Sarah
03/09/08
I was wandering how many boxes of crackers, cheese, salami, pepparoni, rolls, pickles, would be needed to serve approx 250 guests?? Thank you
ellen
03/10/08
sarah, go to the appetizer planning page and the sandwich event page and try to make an initial estimate. Then come back and post, telling me what kind of party, how long for, and I will go over it for you.
Jennifer
03/12/08
I am helping with a fundraiser for the fire department and we are doing a spagetthi dinner for 600 people how much of ground beef, sauce and noodles would I need?
ellen
03/13/08
Please see the lotsa pasta/spaghetti page for the needed info. The button is at the top of the main cook talk page.
ellen
03/13/08
You might also look at the food safety article and the wedding dinner article for help with planning self-catering. This is a very large group to cook for, and there are lots of things to consider.
cheryl
05/20/08
Hi Ellen,
I am planning a buffet for 125 people starting at 4:00 p.m.
Menu consists:
BBQ Brisket
Chicken Salad
Baked Beans
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Coleslaw
Broccoli Salad
Do I still calculate 20 lbs total for the asst'd salads - 4 gallons baked beans, 6 gals chicken salad and not sure on the brisket because of shrinkage?
ellen
05/20/08
Since you have the chicken salad as a back-up entree, you can go with 1 pound raw well trimmed brisket for each 3 people- without the chicken salad it would be 1 pound for 2.

You want 4 gallons of poato salad, pasta salad from about 8 pounds of dry pasta, slaw form 20 pounds of cabbage and other veggies, about 3-4 gallons of broccoli salad.

Ame
05/22/08
Reception 200 people
Hi Ellen! I'm doing the food for my own wedding reception and I need help. I apologize in advance for being long winded. We're not expecting 200 people, but my Mom thinks we should cook extra, just in case people show up who didn't RSVP. It will start at 3:00 pm, and we plan to serve the food right away. The cold dishes will be in large bowls in ice filled coolers and the hot food will be in heated chafing dishes. I've been reading through all the different sections of the site, which is amazing by the way, and I haven't found anything specific to shish kabobs. I've found each item separately, but not per pound when they are together on a stick. :) This is our menu:

Shish Kabobs - Marinaded & Grilled -
Chicken Breasts and/or Pork - cubed -
How much of each, per pound, would I need? We were thinking that if we use less meat, and more veggies it might be cheaper. And is it cheaper to buy some pork roasts, and cube them, or pork chops instead, and do the same? We aren't planning to use beef or shrimp, only because they are a bit expensive right now. Also, what size cubes would work best? 1 in.? 2 in.? We've already purchased 3-44 oz. bottles of ketchup, but I was thinking thats a bit boring. What would be the best, and cheapest, condiment? Finally, how many kabobs would I need per person?
Zucchini - cubed. It's 98 cents a lb. right now, so how many lbs. would I need, and again, what size slices? We were thinking 1 1/2 to 2 in. and 2 or 3 per skewer.
Onions - I'm not entirely sure this is a good option as onions tend to fall off and fall through when they are grilled. How many lbs. would we need, and would they need to be larger onions, or would the small ones work better? What would be a good substitution for onions?
Red Bell Peppers - They are on sale 10 for $10 at a local store, but depending on the amount we need, that may not be cost effective. Other then for the addition of color, we're comfortable omitting them. We were thinking we'd cut them into 1 in. x 2 in. cubes. About how many lbs. would we need?
Pineapple - We've found some whole pineapples on sale at 98 cents a lb. as well. Is it cheaper to buy them whole, peel them, core them, slice them and cube them? The cubed pineapple in the can might work just as well, but are the cubes in the can big enough to stay on the skewer? Would getting them whole be better if we need bigger cubes?

Potato Salad - I found on the site that we'll need approximately 7 gallons for 200 people.

Jello Salad - We are going to use jello that I already have, no sugar needed. We also know of Cool Whip on sale, 10 for $10. We might add some fruit coctail, and perhaps nuts. How much of each item would I need? Would it be the same amount, per gallon, as the potato salad?

Sausage balls - We've found a wonderful, totally cost effective recipe to make plenty for 200, and then some.

Rolls - From the amounts for 100 page, and assuming not everyone will take a roll, is 12 to 15 dozen plenty, or should we go ahead and get all 18 dozen?

We would also like to serve honey and butter for the rolls, but we haven't quite figured out if the honey is entirely necessary. I think not, my fiance thinks yes because he wants it. How much of each would we need?

I'm also making my own cake. I've been making them for years, sometimes for pay, sometimes not, and I've learned how to make them cheap, but yummy and pretty. But I had a question. I'm not going to do buttercream, because we'll be outdoors. I've never made a cake for an outdoor event. What is the best frosting for this situation?

We aren't serving alcohol, but we are serving punch and we'll have a few bottles of sparkling cider for toasts. We're going to mix fruit punch concentrate with cheap lemon-lime soda, 5 parts soda to 1 part concentrate, and we'll have it in a couple of 5 gallon water coolers, a block of ice in each. Again we've already figured out how much we need of both. We're also going to provide cold water as well. My grandparents would like us to serve coffee and cookies after the meal, but we're not sure we really want to incur the extra expense if it's only for a couple of people. Also, if it's really warm, no one will likely drink it. The cookies might be popular though.

Thank you for your help!!

Peter
05/22/08
I am doing a BBQ for 90 people. I was wondering how much raw chicken (not boneless) and pork spareribs would you suggest.
ellen
05/23/08
Ame, this is not too much info, it is just right for the questions you are asking. However, it will take me a couple of days to go over it, so check back! But you DO need that coffee- 1 pound makes 50 cups, so get Sumatra or another rich type, see the beverage planning page for cream, sugar, etc, and give the grandparents this little treat.

Peter, allow at least 1/2 pound raw ribs PLUS 3/4 pound raw bone-in chicken per person. You will be cutting the chicken into pieces for serving, I assume.

Ame
05/23/08
Reception 200 people
Oh, thank you so much! I can't wait!
rachel
05/27/08
Amounts MAC & CHEESE
hey how are u am a first time writer what i wanted to ask is how much macaroni $ cheese will i need to make mac and cheese for 150-175

and if u have any good recipes or tips for mac and cheese (for a crowd) please share

thanks rachel

ellen
05/27/08
Rachel, there is a whole article on Mac and Ceese for many:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/macche25.html

Ame, I have not forgotten you!

rachel
05/29/08
hey how are u thank u so much for the link i wanted to ask u if i could bake the mac and cheese in a deep tin pan (idk the size i know its one size bigger then the 11X14) that way bake more at the same time?

i was also wondering if u have a recipe for baked French toast
or baked ziti

thanks and all the best
Rachel

Amy
05/31/08
Picnin / BBQ for 300 guests
Good Morning - I am preparing the food for a church picnic where we expect around 300 guests. We will have a whole pig that will be roasted and we will also have hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, green salad and pretzles and chips...the pig is being ordered by a friend, but am curious about the amount of burgers and dogs we need to prepare as well as the potato salad, and snacks. Thanks inadvance for any assistance you can offer! Amy
ellen
05/31/08
Rachel, baking in a deeper pan is fine as long as the depth is not over 4 inches- if you get deeper than that, the edges burn before the middle heats up. But you need to lower the cooking temp and increase the time- it can DOUBLE with the deeper pan. You need the middle ofthe dish to reach 180 degrees without burning the edges.

If you are considering baked French toast, please take a look at the amazing maple date strata on the do it yourself brunch page. It is like baked stuffed French toast and is DEELICIOUS.

I use the Mozarella sausage bake on the spaghetti/lotsa pasta page without the sausage as the basis for planning quantities for baked ziti for 100.

Amy, The pig counts as 1 serving/person per pound of raw dressed weight, and the weights vary from 25- 100 pounds, so you need to get with the pig people on the size. Then subtract that number from the total expected, and use the remaining number for your plan for meats.

So say it is a 60 pound pig, you would plan meats for 240. I allow 1 patty PLUS 1 sausage per person, then if self serve/ buffet add another 10%.

I would use Polish sausage or kielbabsa instead of hot dogs, taste MUCH better and not too much more expensive.

Then add 1 case of veggie burgers, with a crowd tjis size you will have some vegetarians and non-pork eaters.

For the sides and snacks, beverages and desserts, see my tables for 100 and use 3 times the amounts for 300. Estimate your amounts, post them, and I will check them for you. I use 6 pounds of potato chips or 8 pounds of corn chips as a minimum for 100. More if there are lots of teens.

About the pig: this is a MAJOR (like 5 person) all day job. It needs an experienced pig cook supervising. If you don't have that, you need to add to your non-pig meat count in case the pig cooking goes wrong.

Lori
06/01/08
Hi,

I am coordinating a brunch at church in two weeks. Our menu is baked french toast (three varieties: blueberry, raspberry and brown sugar), fresh fruit (strawberries, honeydew, cantelope, watermelon and grapes), as well as bone-in ham. We will be serving approximately 200 people. It's my understanding that I would need approximately 50 lbs of ham, but how about for the other dishes?

Thanks for your help!

ellen
06/01/08
Please take a look at the breakfast planning page for amounts. The fruit tray page will cover your fruits.

If you have a recipe that makes a 9x13 pan for the French toast, you need 9-10 times that recipe to serve 100; basically 1 pound of bread plus the eggs, etc. serves about 10 people.

You must have a carver to serve the ham and slice very thin if you want this to be enough ham.

See the beverage planning page for breakfast coffee and tea amounts.

Linda
06/05/08
Hi,

I am planning a buffet brunch for about 300 guests. (75 children, 225 adults) Space/kitchen accomodations are tight.
How does this sound - open-faced mini bagel sandwiches of tunafish, eggsalad and lox/cream cheese, fresh fruit platter on each table as centerpiece, a few salads (ramen noodle, caesar, and tortellini) plus drinks and cookies, and bar cakes for dessert. Can you help with quantities?

ellen
06/06/08
Linda, I have two concerns. First this is not a particularly kid-friendly menu, except for the fruit, and you at least need to have jam and peanut butter for the bagels if you expect kids to eat them (you are not planning to preassemble them, are you?). Second, people will be looking for a hot dish unless this is a very informal occasion. Your inquiry has prompted me to post my new article on a buffet brunch for 100, have a look at that for ideas.

Your fruit quantities are covered on the fruit tray page. For the salads, you want 10 gallons total per 100 people.

See also the breakfast planning page and the beverage planning page and the dessert bar page for additional help on the quantities. You need coffeee and tea and juice.

ellen
06/06/08
Here is the url for the new brunch page:

ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/brunch100.html

adam
06/12/08
hey how are u i just wanted to ask how much rice would i have to cook for 100 people and how any lbs of potatoes i would have to cook for the same amount?
ellen
06/13/08
Look on the plan for 100 page, both are covered.
SHEILA
06/14/08
Baby shower brunch for 60
hi there! first off your site is amazing. thanks for the great tips i received already! i am planning a baby shower on the 28th for about 50. the menu is breakfast egg casserole(has meat in and hashbrowns) coffee cake, regular cake, and pineapple. punch coffee and water. how much of the casserole will i need? i usually make them in the crockpot but could it be made in a roaster or will it get too hot? i dont want to scorch the bottom. any info would be great! thanks!
ellen
06/14/08
answered privately
Jen
06/14/08
Im cooking for my babys 1st birthday and there will be 240 people at the most. I dont know how much i need to make of the following:

White rice
Kalua pig
Pineapple
Kalbi
Chicken Longrice
Lomi salmon
Haupia
and Poi

ellen
06/15/08
Jen, while you could probably figure the amounts yourself using the quantity charts on this site, a party this size catered with this type menu, requires about three cooks and 15 servers, plus bartenders if alcohol is served. Have you made arrangements for this type help? Also. it is too big for a domestic / family kitchen. What are your cooking and storage arrangements?

Read my article under the "wedding dinner" button on the main cook talk page, then write back.

Irene
06/15/08
First of all, your site is wonderful and extremely helpful.

I am hosting a 30th bday party for 60 adults. It will start at 5:30pm and I plan to have heavy appetizers out the entire time. I expect people to stay till 10 or 11pm. Any suggestions to the following menu??

HOT ITEMS (all in chafing dishes)
Eggrolls (two different kinds) - 120 of one and 80 of another
Pasta (ordered from a local restaurant) - they told me it is 20 "dinner size" servings
100 Chicken Skewers
100 Stuffed Mushrooms

COLD ITEMS
Seven Layer Dip - 2 13x9 dishes
Sushi - 100 pieces
Sandwich rolls - about 60
Pasta Salad - 3 pounds
Veggie Platter - 18inch platter

DESSERT
Chocolate Fondue
Cupcakes
Fruit Platter

ellen
06/16/08
I would probably double the pasta. Other than that, looks good.

You might consider, due to the length of the party, bringing out the hot items after about 2 hours as a second shift.

Also, maybe mixed rolls or brushetta/foccacio/ciabatta instead of sandwich rolls, since there is nothing to make sandwiches with?

Irene
06/16/08
Hi Ellen,

Thank you for your quick response. The sandwich rolls are actually sandwich roll ups -- they are tortillas with chicken, veggies, etc, rolled up, then cut into thick slices (like Aram sandwiches).

If we bring out the hot items later, can they be ready to go before the party starts, and kept warm in the oven? I just want to have everything done before people come over.

Instead of doubling the pasta (its kinda expensive to order), can you think of something else to add?

ellen
06/16/08
Oh, thanks for the clarification. Look at the baked sausage and mozzarella casserole recipe on the spaghetti/ lotsa pasta page. It is tasty and no big trouble to make. A half recipe would be way lots- probably a third recipe would do, and no expensive pasta to order.
Kim
06/16/08
Hi I would appreciate some help. Unfortunately my father inlaw is ready to pass and my hubby would like to host the gathering back here after the funeral. I entertain often but this has me nervous not sure how many to plan for and what menu to choose. I can tell you with immediate family plus some out of town guests we are looking at 4o min. I don;t have alot of money to cater allof it just some. I was thinking of ziti. I could make them up and have a friend throw them in the oven for me. I coukld cater the salad and a few appetizers. Any suggestions
ellen
06/17/08
I hope that his life has been lived in such a way that he feels ready, and that your husband and the rest of his family are at peace with him.

I would make 1/2 the recipe of the sausage mozzarella bake on the spaghetti/ lotsa pasta page, you can use ground beef instead of sausage for less spice. 1/2 the amount for 100 from any of the salads at the top of the plan for 100 page. About 6 pounds of French bread. 4-5 9x13 dump cakes or cobblers; the recipe is at the bottom of the spaghetti/ lotsa pasta page.

There is a charming and helpful book on funeral meals and customs called "Being Dead is No Excuse'. It has a light touch but is respectful of the circumstances also, and the recipes and planning guide are quite helpful.

Kathi
07/01/08
How many pounds of potatoe salad should I buy for 50 people?
ellen
07/01/08
You want 1 3/4 to 2 gallons (7-8 quarts); weight depends on the recipe. If it is plain commercial potato salad, you might stir in some chopped hard-cooked eggs and some celery seed.
Carolyn
07/11/08
Thank you for this site, it is so helpful
ellen
07/11/08
Glad it helps.
Diana
07/24/08
What to serve at a co-ed wedding shower
I'm hosting a co-ed wedding shower for my niece in a few weeks. She wants it to be a stock the bar/decorate the house shower. I'm at a standstill as to what to prepare. She wants a potato bar and that's fairly simple. I need some other ideas to go along with this. There will be approx. 30- 40 people attending. Any suggestions would be appreciated
ellen
07/25/08
Consider adding chili, chopped bbq or stroganoff to the potato bar, can be used as a topper, sandwich filling, or bowl of dinner. There are lots of ideas on the potato bar page.
Yvonne
10/14/08
We have been asked to prepare a low-county(Charleston style) Oyster-roast for approximately 150 people. I have cole slaw, on the menu as well as a seafood kabob recipe I made to be served over Jasmine Rice with a white wine/lemon/butter/garllic sauce... There will be at least 12 kabobs on a large bowl of rice. The kabobs will consists of roasted shrimp, scallops, zuchinni, and cherry tomatoes. Should we prepare for one kabob per person? What would you suggest? This is just one item on the menu
ellen
10/15/08
One kabob minimum; shrimp is one of the most popular items you can offer. If it is buffet, you need to have someone stand there and serve.
Val
12/01/08
How long can mashed potatoes and stuffing be frozen. They will be vaccum sealed.
ellen
12/01/08
For best quality, 1-3 months.
Lydia
12/06/08
We are planning a family reunion picnic for approximately 200 people. The reunion committee will supply all the meat for the barbecue. How many pounds of chicken, ribs, hotdogs and ground beef we will need?
ellen
12/06/08
Lydia, you don't say for how many meals/ what length of time, or the age mix of the crowd, which matters. Take a look at the BBQ and brisket page, which explains how to estimate these mixed meat meals, prepare an initial estimate and post it, and I will be glad to check it for you.
Melissa
12/18/08
Easy Hors d'oeuvres
I will be hosting Christmas Eve at my home this year. I need some ideas for easy hors d'oeurves to serve my family. There will be about 25 people there. Thank you for your help.
ellen
12/18/08
Assuming you have not a lot of picky eaters, how about cheese logs/ balls with crackers, mini impossible pies (made in large muffin tins) or mini quiches, spinach parmesan squares with a bit or roasted red pepper as a Christmassy trim, and a hot and a cold dip- maybe artichoke for the hot and a 7 layer Mexican platter dip for the cold. All these can be made ahead, making it easy in you. If children are attending, consider adding a big fruit tray with a creamy or caramel dip.

Except for the cheese balls - everyone has a favorite recipe for this- all these can be found on site.

Marsha
01/15/09
Vegetable
What would you suggest as a vegetable side to compliment chicken w/spinach crepes. (spinach part of filling for the crepe)
ellen
01/16/09
Whole green beans with slivered carrots. Add some whole mushrooms and roasted grape tomatoes to add color if you like.
Linda
01/22/09
Amounts of Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad & Ham Salad
I am giving a baby shower and there will be approximately 50 people so how much of each salad will I need to make for finger sandwiches. Tuna, Chicken & Ham
ellen
01/23/09
Read the article on tea sandwiches. Use the sandwich filling figures on the sandwich event page. Figure the total amount you would need if making only one salad. Make 1/2 chicken, 1/3 each ham and tuna, this adds up to more than 100%, but you have to do this to allow everyong their first choice when there are multiple choices.
Susan
02/15/09
I am doing a "traditional" Irish meal for a ladies' luncheon: Corned Beef/Cabbage/Carrots/Irish Soda Bread. (Someone else is doing desserts and drinks)--30-40 middle age or older women are expected. How much corned beer/tiny red creamer potatoes and carrots do I buy? Susan
ellen
02/15/09
You do not need as much as for a men's dinner, but people do make room for these tasty dishes. You want to plate/serve the meat yourself, and that means 2 pounds raw well trimmed corn beef for each 5 persons , no leftovers there; 10% more if self serve. 1 pound potatoes for each 4, 1 pound carrots for each 5, 1 pound cabbage for each 5 (The small ones are tastier). See the St. Pats day thread for info on cooking the corned beef.
mary
05/05/09
how many heads of cabbage would i need to use to make coleslaw for 250 people
ellen
05/05/09
See the plan for 100 page first section or any of the many recipes for slaw for 100 on the site. Make 2 1/2 times the amount.
Sheran
06/25/09
Hi Ellen,
I am having a BBQ for about 40 people (this includes about 7 kids. I will be serving several appetizers before hand, and serving hamburgers, hotdogs, beans, potatoe salad, and pasta salad. My question is how much potato salad and pasta salad should i make? I want to make sure i have enough, but don't want to over do it. Thank you for your help and time.
Sheran
ellen
06/26/09
About 1 1/2-2 gallons potato salad (14 pounds of potatoes) plus pasta salad from 2 pounds dry pasta.
Joyce
07/12/09
I have made cooked for large groups,(up to 50 at the most) but I have been asked to cook for 250 people, these people have decided on having bbq brisket, potatoe salad, and baked beens. now I figure on 1/4 lb meat per person but how many pounds of potates do I need for that large of a group? and how manys egss the rest I basicly play by taste (onions, celery, dill relish and sweet relish)
ellen
07/12/09
Joyce, if this is a plated meal, you better figure 1 pound ready to eat for each 3 people, not 4. I have posted about 8 different potato salad recipes for 100, but if you just want potato and egg estimates, see the very first listing on the very first section of the [plan for 100 page.
gloria
07/28/09
My grandson is coming home from Iraq and will be here for just 2 weeks. Not a big crowd but few family members. I am buying 40 pounds of chicken drumsticks w/thighs attach. How many pieces are there in 40 pounds?

Thank you...

ellen
07/29/09
Depends on the size of the chickens, but it is usually a few less than 50 quarters.
Jen
09/01/09
I'm having an outdoor wedding in Oct. to serve around 150 guests. I plan to boil chicken night before and grill next day. They are chicken leg quarters, we are also serving ham and turkey that day. How much of each would I need to feed that many people. Plus do you know any really great cold foods to add as sides because there will not be a stove at the site?
ellen
09/01/09
Jen, it is unsafe to partially cook the chicken, so to do this you will have to fully cook it, chill it quickly and then reheat it. Also, maintaining a grill for 150 people will take at least 2 full time attendants for the entire serving period. I strongly suggest you reconsider the menu. Also, you can't safely serve turkey if it will be out of refrigeration for more than two hours. Have you considered renting a refrigerated truck to hold everything cold for 150 people? You could also consider partial catering- hiring someone to bring in a pro bbq pit and do the meats, while your family does the rest.

I would probably do a good pasta salad and a Greek salad, as both are very popular and can be made the day before. I would have fruit trays and a relish try as well (you would use 2 of the relish try for 60), good rolls and sandwich making condiments.

Amount of meat-wise, I would allow 1 piece of chicken PLUS 3 ounces each ready to eat turkey and ham per person. There are turkey yield tables in the holiday cooking section of big pots.

Elga
09/01/09
Roast Pork
How much pork do I need to make for 55 adults and 20 children, we are also have hot dogs and hamburgers for the kids.
Leisa
09/01/09
We are feeding 60 football players/coaches. I want to make potato corn chowder with chicken and am having a hard time figuring out how much to purchase to make enough. Ingredients: chicken, hashbrowns or potatoes, onion, corn, milk, country gravy mix. What do you think? Thank you
ellen
09/01/09
Elga you double-posted. See the brisket thread.
Rosemary
09/10/09
Amounts/250 people
Ellen,
I need a recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls w/meat and rice for 250 people. About how many
cabbages, how much meat-beef,pork, and how much rice. I will also be serving mashed potatos and corn. About how many cans of corn and how many boxes of instant mashed potatoes will be needed.
ellen
09/11/09
Hi, Leisa,
I thought I posted this- you need about 6-7 gallons total, plus bread and crackers and your sides.

Hi, Rosemary,
You need to use a recipe you like and just plan on 2 rolls per 100 PLUS about 10% more. A hint- by putting the raw cabbages in the freezer overnight and thawing, you get tender leaves that can be peeled off and rolled without having to scald the cabbages in boiling water.
Corn is 4 #10 cans per 100, but consider frozen, it is tastier, 22-24 pounds per 100.
I can't help with the instant potatoes, I don't use them, but I am told that they make only about 1/2 as many servings as it says on the box. If you have time, take a look at my recipe for freezable, holdable mashed potatoes i the big pots section.

Erma
10/28/09
how many loaves
I am serving a reception for 125 to 130 people . Sandwiches and sweets. How many loaves of bread do I need and how many pans of squares ?
ellen
10/28/09
See tje sandwich event page and the dessert planning page- both links at the top of the main cook talk page.
Sue
10/29/09
Ellen, I am planning a pancake breakfast for 50-75 people. I need to know how much of each to purchase. Pancake mix - only add water 6 lb boxes, orange juice, sausage patties, bacon, milk coffee, butter. Thank you.
ellen
10/29/09
See the breakfast planning page and the beverage planning page. For 65 people use 2/3 of 100; for 75 use 3/4 of 100.
Ann
12/15/09
Hello:

Hosting a basketball tournament/hospitality suite where approximately 150 will pass through on two separate days. On each day, the 150 will have a complete meal, however they will be able to visit to "snack" per se on the following:

Assorted Cheese Cubes/with Crackers
Carrot Sticks/Broccoli Florets
Whole Oranges, Whole Apples, Bananas

How many pounds of cheese, veggies and how many pieces of fruit?

Thanks!

ellen
12/16/09
This works out like holding 2 1 hour cocktailk parties, as for as snacks. I would make a few changes to the menu; skip oranges unless you can get the little tangerines; skip bananas, add grapes cut in small clusters and strawberries. You want about 4 bits per person per day, see the fruit tray page for lots of help on ideas and amounts. A sweet dip (3 quarts per 100 people) is popular.

I would add cut up cauliflower and cherry tomatoes to the veggies, plus dip, possibly small crunchy pickles and olives, see the veggie tray page for ideas and help with amounts.

You need at least 6 pounds of crackers per 100 per event. You need 2 ounces of cheese per person per event cubed, about 1 1/2 per person sliced. A portion of this could be cheese balls or spreads.

laurie
02/15/10
I am making spanish rice and beans for a party of 200 how much rice do i need
ellen
02/16/10
Start with 6 1/2 to 8 pounds dry rice per 100 if this is a side dish.
laurie
02/16/10
how much pinto beans do i need for a side dish for 200 people.
ellen
02/16/10
About 16 pounds dry if you are adding some extras.
Sue
02/18/10
I am making cesear salad for 140 people as a side dish...I am not sure how much romaine lettuce to get. I have seen on other sites 15 for 100 people so do you think 20 would be sufficient?
ellen
02/18/10
This is what I recommend for 100 people:

15 heads Romaine
Parmesan cheese, shredded, 5 pounds
small croutons, 3-4 pounds
PLUS 2 1/2 quarts Caesar salad dressing

laurie
02/21/10
i am making a pasta salad wih spaghetti noodles,green peppers,onions,cucmbers,tomatoe,italian dressing how much spaghetti will it take to make this for 200 people
ellen
02/21/10
6 pounds dry pasta per 100 for a side salad.
neta
04/07/10
I am making horderves for 200-250 people for my daughter's wedding reception. Listed below is the menu, I need help on how much of each item to fix:
cheese/cracker tray
veggie tray/ranch dip
potatoe chips
salsa and nacho chips
small turkey or ham sandwiches
large dills
FYI, there will be a cake, nuts, mints, punch also.
Lori
04/20/10
I am wanting to do a taco bar for around 200 people at 2 tacos each . Any ideas how much food to buy?
ellen
04/20/10
Neta , I missed your post, please do feel free to start a new thread. How much food you need depends on whether it is over a meal time or at a reception time; if over a meal time, you need more than twice as much food. Look at the appetizer planning page, try an estimate and post on a new thread, and I will check it for you.
ellen
04/20/10
Lori, unless these are children or seniors, you need to plan for more than two tacos, add rice and beans and some extra tortillas at least. Amounts per 100 are discussed in detail on the potato/taco bar page. If you want to post your estimates, I will be glad to check them for you.
Diane U.
04/22/10
How many pounds of potatoes is needed to make potato salad for 50 & 75 people? Potato salad consist of eggs, relish, celery, bell pepper, onion, and mayo. Please advise. Thanks.
glen
04/26/10
We are having a candy dish at a 3 day conventions. The candy will be chocolate - how many pounds or kilos of chocolate candy do you think we'd need to entertain about 120 eldery people (who like sweets). Thanks -
ellen
04/27/10
Diane U., see the first listing at the top of the plan for 100 page, use 1/2 for 50 and 3/4 for 75.

Glen, it depends on what other snacks are available at the same time, but you could expect up to 2 ounces per person per day. With elders, you would be prasied for offering some sugar free chocolates as part of the mix; up to 1 in 10 is diabetic.

Angela
06/15/10
I'm preparing a Ceasar Salad for a graduation party for about 200 people. How many pounds of Romaine Lettuce do I need. I can get 2lbs of chopped Lettuce from the market or should I do the chopping myself.
Juniper
07/21/10
I am having a dessert reception for my wedding. I'm estimating there will be 150 people. We're thinking three kinds of miniature cupcakes, five kinds of cookies, miniature tarts, and some brownie and cinnamon squares. We will also be having a cake (but have that covered). We will also include some savory things, like cheese straws and cheese/ham muffins. Plus, fruit skewers with a selection of seasonal fruit. I'm having a REALLY hard time figuring out how much of these things I need. Any helpful hints would be great!
Thanks!!!!
ellen
07/23/10
Angela, I am sorry to have missed your post. Hope you found the plan for 100 page.

Juniper, this depends a lot on what time the wedding is! If your guests did NOT eat a meal before they came, you need about 1/2 more food than if it is, say, a 1 PM wedding with an afternoon reception.

There is a page on dessert buffets that will help you. Plan as if you did not have the cake; it will act as the buffer. You want to end up with at least 4-5 different pieces for each person.

cheese straws- 1 1/2 to 2 ounces per person
cheese/ham muffins- 2 small per person
fruit skewers with a selection of seasonal fruit; please consider doing fruit TRAYS. Much much easier to do, hold better, look prettier and the leftovers are more usable. If you are dying for skewers, do some as a garnish for the trays. The amounts on the fruit tray page are very reliable.

Hanna
11/03/10
How many pounds of raw potatoes are needed to feed 450 people?
ellen
11/03/10
Potato salad, 35 pounds per 100, French fries 50 pounds per 100, bakers come in various sizes, you need 1 per person plus 20 extra. Buy by the case at a wholesaler- much cheaper- especially the big ones.
Becky
11/15/10
Serving 45 adults at dinner for church consisting of Turkey breast, green beans, sweet potato casserole and mashed potatoes. Home much of each. Need to know ASAP. Thanks you
ellen
11/15/10
See the shopping for community dinners article at the top of big pots. Read the intro to community dinners in the same section, too. Turkey yield table will help with how much meat.
charlene
01/24/11
Hi was wondering how many of each I will need to do a funeral luncheon. They are expecting 600 people
buns open faced with tuna, salmon and egg we will also be having meat cheese trays for buns
veggie trays
fruit trays
wraps trays
squares cookies etc
pickles
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to know so I have time to order for wednesday or thursday. Thank you
ellen
01/25/11
Hi, Charlene,

This is a LOT of food and you need to be sure you have adequate refrigeration because you are planning many perishable items.

veggie trays- use veggie tray page
fruit trays-use fruit tray page
squares cookies etc- see dessert planning page
pickles-plan for 100 page
Also see the beverage planning page, you will want both dinner level coffee and iced tea, and see the notes on ice

sandwich condiments- you will need these for the meat/cheese part- see sandwich event page

wraps- about 1/2 per person

buns open faced with tuna, salmon and egg
This is a very tough call, as it varies from region to region how popular each of these items is. With meat below and wraps 400 pieces total will be plenty.

meat cheese trays for buns, allow 1 ounce of cheese per person and 1 pound of deli-sliced meat per 10. You will need more if it is thicker sliced. 1 medium sized roll per person, since you already have the other buns.

sara
02/22/11
we are wanting to plan an arts gala at a school w/finger foods for about 200-250 adults and kids. so far we are thinking:
1. quartered sandwiches: pbj, chicken salad, pimento cheese (all w/white bread)
2. cheese & crackers--getting blocks of cheese & cube ourselves (to save $)
3. some type of pasta salad or ???
4. lemonade variations (regular & pink)
(desserts are being handled separately)
*we would love to do fruit and/or cut veggies but we don't think we'll be able to afford these
*we will be able to use the school's kitchen and fridges
we are open to other suggestions but very much want to keep the "gala" feel and try to be kid-friendly at the same time so...
1. if we keep the above menu, how much would we need to buy?
2. other suggestions? =)
Bobbie
03/15/11
How much corned Beef, cabbbage, and red potatos would need to feed about 150-200 people?
ellen
03/16/11
Sara, if you want to have a "gala" type table, and be kid friendly, skip the pasta salad and do the fruit trays. Fruit trays, cheese and crackers and tea sandwiches is fine.

Cut each kind of sandwich into different shapes, triangles, fingers and squares. There is a whole article on afternoon tea sandwiches for ideas. It has good quantity amounts. The fruit trays are covered on the fruit tray page, and the beverages are covered on the beverage planning page. Have at least one sugar free choice (iced tea?)

ellen
03/16/11
Bobbi, this is way to big a range. For each 100 people for a full dinner menu, you need 50 pounds raw well trimmed corned beef, 30 pounds new potatoes, 18 pounds carrots, 22 pounds whole cabbage. Plus mustard. Some people include onions. See the St Patrick's Day thread.
rain
03/22/11
Ellen, thank you so much for all of your amazing information. For years I've returned again and again to your site to plan meals for the homeless shelter here in town.
Next month, my volunteers want to make a casserole that has meat & veggies in it and I'm a little stumped for portions. The original recipe calls for 1lb ground beef, 3 cans of veggies, & a box of jiffy on top. How many of these casseroles do you think I will need for 125 hungry adults?
I don't know what to serve it with either since it has a carb, protein, & veggie all in one dish.
ellen
03/22/11
Hi, Rain, glad to help.

That casserole makes about 6 servings.

I would serve a fruit side dish or fruit-based salad, and a dessert with protein- ice cream,custard or pudding, rice or bread pudding.

Ariel
03/30/11
I am supposed to buy romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and onions for enough small sandwhichs for 100 people for a babyshower. How much of each item do I need to buy?
ellen
03/30/11
See the sandwich page, condiments/fixings on the quantity tabe, get about 3/4 the amount listed.
Charlotte
04/02/11
I am doing wedding favors for my grandsons' wedding & I need to know how many pounds of candy I will need to do: 150 -4oz wine glasses ( not all the way full) Thanks So Much,Charlotte
ellen
04/02/11
Charlotte, candies vary a LOT in weight by volume. For example, salt water taffy is light, M&M' quite heavy.

The only way I know to do this would be to buy the candies you want at a bulk store, fill the glass, then weigh the items and multiply. That is what I would do.

Charlotte Payne
04/04/11
I need to know how much candy I will need to fill 150-4oz wine glasses for a wedding reception
ellen
04/04/11
Charlotte, you need 18 quarts. How much it weighs depends on what kind of candy- that is why you have to make up and weigh your own selection.
bonnie
04/08/11
how many jars of spagetti sauce do i need to feed 175 people a spagetti dinner
ellen
04/09/11
Check out the spaghetti dinner for 50-60 at the bottom of the spaghetti page for help on the amounts. You need 3-3 1/2 times the amount for 50-60.
anne
07/18/11
How many lbs of salt water taffy would be a safe guess for 50 people?
ellen
07/18/11
About 3-4 pounds. Is it the only candy?
Chris
08/26/11
Ellen:

What would the CURRENT selections of soda pop be? With so many people drinking diet, and so many different variations (caffeine-free, lime, vanilla, cherry flavorings) I'm a little lost in what selections to purchase for a group of 100 (or multiples thereof).

Could you give some guidance on what flavors, and what percentage should be diet offerings for the pop?

Thanks for your help!

Tracie
08/28/11
Wedding Reception
Ellen, I am getting married in about 2 and a half weeks and are planning on about 120 people. we are planning on a couple different pasta salads. I am stuck on the amount of pastas and amount of salad dressing that is needed.
Carrie
11/09/11
Helping to plan a benefit and we are hoping to sell 600 tickets and we are serving apps . . . . how many per person for 600 people and how many different kinds???
ellen
11/09/11
Carrie, Amounts depend on time the party starts and how long it lasts, also your kitchen situation. You are talking quite a bit of food (like a quarter ton, about 500 pounds). Send more info.
Tracie, sorry I mised your post, you probably found that the question is already answered on site.
Paula
11/10/11
We are doing our first catering gig in two weeks. It will be a pasta bar with four types of pasta, 3 choices of sauce, salad, buns and desert. How much of each pasta should we make to serve 35 people?

Thanks Paula

Sharon
12/10/11
I Ellen,

My question is simple: If we invited 450 to our son's reception, how many single servings of refreshments should we plan for?
Thanks for you help.

ellen
12/10/11
Paula, can't help, as it depends on what the pastas are and who the eaters are. I will tell you that pro caterers would not offer 4 pastas for 35 people.

Try the pro boards:
Chef2chef.com
cheftalk.com

Sharon, can't help here, as it depends on whether you invited locals, country-wide, etc. For general party, planners suggest 85%.

crytsal
12/18/11
Love your site!I am planning a party for 60 adults and 10 children The menu consists of:
chicken
pasta 2 sauces
green beans
rolls
raw oysters
meatballs
How many lbs of pasta, meatballs and green beans should I make? How much regular sauce and vodka sauce? Thanks soooooo much
ellen
12/18/11
I would treat this as 2/3 of 100.

10-11 pounds spaghetti
12 quarts spaghetti sauce, have 3 quarts plain
8 pounds meatballs and 5-6 chickens cut up into 8 pieces)
3 pounds shredded or grated Parmesan or domestic Asiago cheese for topping
15 pounds green beans

tom
02/16/12
How many cupcakes would a 5 lb bag of yellow cake mix make using a standard size pan.
ellen
02/16/12
2 layer cake makes 24 small cupcakes, check thye box.
Linda Wiegand
02/23/12
How much cheese do I need to buy for 250 for cheese and cracker trays? Also veggie trays. We are having crackers and cheese, veggie tray and desserts. It is a retirement reception for our church secretary.
ellen
02/23/12
I would do half veggie and half fruit trays, then.

1 1/2 ounces cheese, equal weight crackers (1 pound per 10)
1-2 ounces veggies
3 ounces edible fruit
per person

susan
03/05/12
Hi Ellen,
I am frying chicken and fish. Is there a standardized amount for flour, egg wash and breading? The pounds will very, that is why I need to know how to estimate. The window is anywhere from 10 to 50 pounds at a time.
ellen
03/05/12
About 82 pounds of pieces and 4-5 pounds of flour-type breading is the usual for 100 people.
laura
03/14/12
Ellen,
Having a Graduation Taco Bar Party for 200 (both Chicken and Hamburger). I want to make sure each person has a minimum of 2 Tacos each. Please could you give me the amounts to buy for this. Thank you!

Soft Torillas
Shredded Chicken
Hamburger
Grated Cheese
Shredded Lettuce
Tomatoes
Refried Beans
Rice
Sour Cream
Guacamole
Bags of Torilla Chips
Salsa

ellen
03/15/12
Laura, all this is covered in detail in the taco/potato bar article- simply double the amounts for 100.
Traci
04/24/12
We are doing taco's for 200 people for my sisters graduation I need amounts for the following please.
Hamburger, refried beans, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, hard and soft shells.
ellen
04/25/12
Use the taco/potato bar page do 2 times the amount for 100
john
05/05/12
My church is having a chicken BBQ for 150 people. How many pounds of cole slaw would I need to fill 150 4oz. containers?
ellen
05/09/12
40 pounds
Martha
07/22/12
I am planning to serve 250 people at a memorial service. They have asked for crackers & Cheese, fruit and veggie platters, and sweet goodies. Please help me with amounts.
ellen
07/23/12
40 pounds of cheese, 20-25 pounds crackers.

Fruit platter, 2 times the deluxe platter on the fruit tray page.

2 classic relish trays, veggie tray for 100 from the veggie tray page.

4 small bars or cookies per person.

Trema
09/25/12
I am planning a Cabbage Roll Dinner for my church. I am planning to make 100 cabbage rolls. Any idea how much hamburger and cabbage I would need?
ellen
09/26/12
I plan about 1 pound of ground meat and 3/4 cup cooked rice per 12 rolls. The cabbages depend on the size.

You can put the whole cabbage in the freezer overnight to be able to pull off and roll the leaves without the risk of scalding them.

Tara
09/26/12
I am making a simple punch for my daughter's wedding. The recipe I have is 1 liter of 7up to 1 pint of sherbert. I calculate that to 4 2 liter bottles of 7up to a gallon of shernert. The recipe doesn't indicate how many this will serve. Would you be able to help me? Thanks so much!
ellen
09/27/12
Tara, do get bottled lime or lemon juice top add to this, or it will be very very sweet. Lime is better. At least 1/2 cup per 2 liter bottle of pop.

I make 6 to 10 gallons of punch for 100 people, depending on how long it will be served and what other beverages are available.

cindy
11/17/12
I am in charge of supplying food & beverages for a youth football team and their families, approx 70, but how many will actually show is a guess. We would like to have a light meal or snacks, plus dessert and beverages. I have a limited budget, any suggestions? Thanks
ellen
11/17/12
Cindy, this is a bit of a conundrum. These kids are usually hungry!

Consider a taco/nacho bar with rice and beans or a baked potato bar which includes a chili or BBQ beef topping as well as the others. I would do at least 3/4 of the amounts for 100. See the related article.

For beverages, lemonade or punch is less expensive than soda. 6 gallons of this, and about 3-4 of iced tea for the grown ups.

Theresa
03/07/13
I am hosting a 50th wedding anniversary party for 75 people. The menu is Veggie pizza, Stuffed cabbage, breaded chicken breasts, baby red potatoes, salad, Cookie tray & cake. How much of everything will I need?
ellen
03/07/13
Veggie pizza, 1 piece per person
Stuffed cabbage, 1 1/2 rolls per person
breaded chicken breasts, 1 small per person (3-4) ounces)

baby red potatoes, 25 pounds

salad, 3/4 the amount for 100 from he plan for 100 list

Cookie tray, 1 each of up to 3 kinds
cake, 1 sheet, or 2 layer 1/2 sheet

debi hawkins
03/23/13
Hi Ellen
i have to have 70 servings of mushy peas, what weight dried peas do i need to buy?
thanks
ellen
03/23/13
As a side dish, I usually cook 8 pounds per 100. About 6 should do it.
Heather
03/26/13
We are having a fund raising event and plan on having 175 people attend. We are serving pork - (pig roast) along with baked beans, macaroni salad, potato salad, chips, & desserts. My question is how many pounds of potato salad, baked beans and Marconi salad will we need? And how many large bags of chips will be needed?
ellen
03/27/13
potato salad, 7 gallons, about 60 pounds of raw potatoes
baked beans, 5-6 gallons
macaroni salad, 6 pounds dry pasta per 100, about 5 gallons

chips, 1 pound chips per 10-12,

Amanda
05/02/13
Ellen,
My mom, grandma and I are making the food for my wedding. Here are the estimates I've come up with based on research, but I'd love your confirmation that I'm on the right path!

We are having approx. 130 guests for a dinner reception - mostly adults.

Pulled Pork (on 4" buns) estimated at 1/3-1/2 lb per sandwich - 40 lbs.

Baked chicken (mixed pieces) 100 pieces

Cheesy bacon potatoes - @ 5 lbs of red potatoes + cheese, bacon & mayo per pan - I'm estimating 15-20 servings/pan = 8 half pans

Green beans w/ ham & onions - @ 24 servings/can = 6 cans = 3 half pans

Toss salad (premixed salad mix + cherry tomatoes & croutons) - estimating 8-10 people/lb. = 15 lbs salad mix

And then of course, we'll have the buns, rolls, salad dressings, BBQ sauces. Does this sound about right?

Thanks so much!

ellen
05/02/13
You are headed in the right direction, I see a few tweaks and two big fixes needed.

Tweaks:

Pulled Pork (on 4" buns) estimated at 1/3-1/2 lb per sandwich - 40 lbs. OK

Baked chicken (mixed pieces) 100 pieces- OK

Big Fix #1- in this size party you will have several vegetarians, you have NOTHING they can use for an entree and even the veggies have meat added. So, add veggie sausages (Field Roast is a reliable brand) or patties (Boca, Mornng Star) or vegetarian chili, clearly labeled vegetarian- at least a dozen pieces/servings

Cheesy bacon potatoes - @ 5 lbs of red potatoes + cheese, bacon & mayo per pan - I'm estimating 15-20 servings/pan = 8 half pans. For 120 people, I would not make less than 50 pounds, potatoes, and again, I would make 2 meat free.

Green beans w/ ham & onions - @ 24 servings/can = 6 cans = 3 half pans- make 4 half pans and make at least 1 half pan meatless- chopped red bell pepper, onion, and corn a good choice

Toss salad (premixed salad mix + cherry tomatoes & croutons) - estimating 8-10 people/lb. = 15 lbs salad mix a little short if self serve, see the plan for 100 table and use 1 1/4 times the amount

And then of course, we'll have the buns, rolls, salad dressings, BBQ sauces. Does this sound about right?

Now the second big fix:
Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; and you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta and antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

One appetizer service area One serving area is needed for each 100 guests. You could manage with just one.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support the site. Read my wedding dinner article. Get non-family help for the day of!!! And have a great time!

Nancy
05/05/13
I am organizing a benefit dinner for a family member struck with cancer and brain tumor. I am trying to keep my cost as small as possible.

Dinner will be:
spaghetti
meat sauce
sauce
bread sticks
salad
cake

How much do I need of each to serve approximatly 150 to 200 people?

Thank you,

ellen
05/05/13
Use the baked spaghetti recipe in the basic budget entrees. You could make 1 meaty and one meatless for each 100.

8 9x13 or 1 2 layer sheet cake per 100.

Salad, see the plan for 100 page, you can do 10% less if you are serving it on the plate rather than self serve.

Bread, 2 ounces per person.

danielle
05/15/13
Hi Ellen love your site. I have a couple of questions about amounts of food needed for party. I am having 65 people for bridal shower. how much fruit would i need for fruit salad? How much lettuce and veggies (cucs,tomatoes,carrots,and peppers) for garden salad. also i am making roasted veggies how much veggies would i need. How much cheese should I get to make cheese platter? thanks
ellen
05/16/13
You just treat this as 2/3 of 100 for easy calculation from the plan for 100 tables.

fruit for fruit salad? See the fruit tray page- but do consider fruit trays instead, prettier, keeps better, and the leftovers are more usable.

lettuce and veggies (cukes, tomatoes, carrots,and peppers)- 2/3 the amounts on the plan for 100 page salad section

roasted veggies how much veggies would i need. About 12=14 pounds, 5 pounds crackers or bread.

cheese should I get to make cheese platter- 1 pound per 10

If this saves you time, trouble or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support the site.

darlene
05/16/13
how many pounds of cabbage(whole head) do I need for cole slaw to feed 150 people?
ellen
05/17/13
About 30 pounds.
denise
10/14/13
Our church homecomig is coming up, and my ward is in charge of bringing the cabbage. How many heads of cabbages do you think I would need to feed 400 people?
ellen
10/14/13
about 22 pounds per 100 for salad or as one of several vegetables- 1/3 to 1/2 more if the only veg.
Jane
10/24/13
Having a Tool Shower and I need to know how much of the following ingredients to buy, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa. We are feeding 90 people
ellen
10/24/13
Is this for taco salad? Write back.
Jan
10/28/13
Technique
Do you have an easy or alternative way to fix potatoes for potato salad? I have to make potato salad for 65 people and am not looking forward to boiling, peeling and cubing that many.
ellen
10/28/13
The easiest fix is to make a pasta salad, esp with rotini or tortellini. 4 pounds dry pasta.

You can also do a baked potato salad. Potato salad from baked potatoes is much creamier than from boiled or steamed potatoes.
Baked Potato Salad

Ingredients:
4 baking potatoes
12 ounces sour cream
3 chopped green onions
4 strips cooked bacon, chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt
pepper

Scrub four baking potatoes, pierce with fork and bake just done, or microwave on high for 12 minutes or until done. When done, place in large Ziploc bag and plunge into an ice bath until fully cooled. Cut potatoes (with skin) into 1/2-inch cubes. In mixing bowl, combine potato cubes, sour cream, green onion, bacon and shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For added flavor, add chopped fresh rosemary and chives. Store in refrigerator. Serve chilled. This recipe for Baked Potato Salad serves/makes 4

Or a roasted red potato salad- trendy and delicious.
www.instructables.com/id/Baked-potato-salad/

You can NOT peel- especially if you use gold potatoes or red- or if the budget allows finger potatoes, all very colorful, no peeling and little cutting.

Since it involves 20-25 pounds potatoes, I understand your desire for alternatives.

Linda
11/13/13
Hi I'm catering an event for 200-250 people and I'm making Roasted Potatoes, Roasted Asparagus, and Turkey Sandwiches with Cranberry Sauce, Stuffing and Gravy. My questionis how many pounds of Potatoes, Asparagus, and Turkey do I need?
ellen
11/13/13
If you are making fat, diner style open face turkey sandwiches, you need 1 1/2 pounds raw boneless turkey for 4 sandwiches (it makes 3 cups), and you want 3 cups of gravy and 3 cups of made dressing for the 4 sandwiches. You can use as little as 1 pound, the sandwiches are skinnier.

You can use the plan for 100 tables for the rest of your items. Notice that if you get raw fresh asparagus, it takes 40 pounds to feed 100.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

florrie
02/18/14
I am catering an event for 65 people. They have requested a vegetarian salmon paella. How many cups of rice and pounds of salmon will I need?
ellen
02/18/14
It depends some on what else you are serving and whether it is plated or buffet, but assuming mixed adults, buffet, salad, veg, appetizers and rolls/bread:

vegetarian salmon paella
for 8 generous servings, 1/2 pound sausage,
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet, 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice ( about 12 ounces)

Of course you need saffron, paprika (try smoked?), plenty of flat leaf parsley.

Salmon is not vegetarian. If there are any true vegetarians, you need to make at least 1 pan meatless.

If this is a paid gig, consider a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Pat
02/23/14
I need quantity help in preparing a tossed salad for 65 for my niece's surprise birthday party. The salad will include iceberg lettuce with spring salad greens, julienne carrots, cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices. How much of each should I purchase to prepare the salad which will be on a buffet dinner table? Thanks for your anticipated help.
ellen
02/23/14
Use 2/3 the amount for 100 on the plan for 100 page, and you should be just right. It also discusses amounts and types of dressing.
Angelica
04/02/14
My Wedding for 100 April 18th :)
Hi Ellen,

I LOVE YOUR WEBSITE!!! Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge. Can you please help me figure out how much of everything I need please? My friends are cooking for my wedding but I need to buy the groceries. I never have cooked for this many people so I am at a loss. It's is an afternoon wedding and my max guest list is 100. This is the menu:
1. Meatballs in a dark sauce (my friend makes them amazing. She uses beef and turkey. She adds red and green peppers at some point and tomato sauce (it's a jar sauce, like prego) which she simmers and it become this lovely brown sauce with the meatballs.
2. Chicken Marsala
3. Red smashed potatos - red potatoes, butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper
4. Slightly steamed Veggies - Zucchini, carrots, string beans, spring squash, corn
5. Caprese salad - I just want to get cherry tomatoes, little balls of mozzarella, chop basil and drizzle with balsamic and Olive oil
6. Red punch
7. Blue punch (I have a 3 gallon double beverage dispenser I bought. this is really cute idea because my wedding colors are tiffany blue and cherry red) How much of each punch will I need for 100 people?
8. Coffee - how many gallons do you think I need?
9. Dinner rolls with butter
9. Tea
10. I'm going to buy those little bottles (8 oz) of water
11. Fruit platter - strawberries & blueberries
And of course there will be wedding cake for dessert.
Thank you so much for your help!!! :) xoxoxxo Angelica

ellen
04/02/14
1. Meatballs in a dark sauce (my friend makes them amazing. She uses beef and turkey. She adds red and green peppers at some point and tomato sauce (it's a jar sauce, like prego) which she simmers and it become this lovely brown sauce with the meatballs. About 22 pounds meat, 8 quarts sauce, none left.
2. Chicken Marsala. Great recipe on this site, do 1/2 of the amount for 100, and use SMALL chicken breast pieces, no more than 4 ounces raw.
3. Red smashed potatoes - red potatoes, butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper- OK I love these too, but rice or pasta would go better with the menu? 40 pounds potatoes, or 12-14 pounds dry pasta or 8-9 pounds dry rice (easy to make in the oven).
4. Slightly steamed Veggies - Zucchini, carrots, string beans, spring squash, corn, 28 pounds total ready to cook
5. Caprese salad - I just want to get cherry tomatoes, little balls of mozzarella, chop basil and drizzle with balsamic and Olive oil
For top results, do a balsamic reduction, see this article:
thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/caprese-salad/
OR here (less expensive)
bellabumsandbellies.com/2013/09/13/cucumber-caprese-relish/
about 3 ounces of tomatoes and 2 of mozzarella per person

6. Red punch
7. Blue punch (I have a 3 gallon double beverage dispenser I bought. this is really cute idea because my wedding colors are tiffany blue and cherry red) How much of each punch will I need for 100 people?
For 100 people, I would put these on the appetizer table, about 3 gallons blue, 5 red, and stick with iced tea for the meal. About 8 gallons, 1/3 unsweetened.
There is specific advice on blue punch on the punch thread.
Red punches are multiple.

8. Coffee - how many gallons do you think I need? Use the beverage planning page, count adults. Has cream, etc also. Some decaf as indicated.

9. Dinner rolls with butter- 2 small per person, 3 pounds butter

10. I'm going to buy those little bottles (8 oz) of water- 2 per person. You can often get 12/16 on sale at the same price

11. Fruit platter - strawberries & blueberries
Expand, add some melon. You want about 6 pieces of fruit per person, see the fruit tray page for help estimating amounts.

And of course there will be wedding cake for dessert. If you add a grooms cake 2 layer half sheet, you only need about 60 servings of wedding cake, it is much less expensive, and you can have chocolate!

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Angela
05/09/14
Amounts / Strawberry Shortcake for 60
Hi, Ellen!

Thank you for being so generous with sharing your knowledge!

I am helping to host a "Strawberry Festival" for my department of 60 people next month which will include store-bought shortcake "cups", sliced strawberries, vanilla ice cream, and whipped topping.

I am having a whale of a time trying to determine how many quarts of strawberries we should purchase! We will likely buy the morning of, then slice to prepare for our afternoon event. I am trying to calculate for 1/2 or 3/4 cup strawberries per person.

Advice on ice cream quantity appreciated to.

Will be served assembly-line style (NO self-serve!) so quantities can be controlled.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Arbetta
05/09/14
Serving chimichangas for 150 at a soccer banquet. There are 50 teenage boys in lured in that number. I have the chimis themselves handled, but I need help on amounts for the toppings. Chimis are usually served on a small bed of lettuce with the following toppings: shredded cheese, green onions, sliced olives, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, and quacamole. I am making 200 chimis to account for the appetites of the boys. Help!!
ellen
05/09/14
Arbetta, I answered your other post.
ellen
05/10/14
I get a quart- the oblong box- for each 8 people. 3 gallons of ice cream per 100 for simple 1/2 cup scoop.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Kim
06/10/14
Hi! We are planning our daughters graduation party. It is Open House, so I am estimating up to 120+ people. We have everything figured out, but I am still unsure of how much to make for cheesey potatoes, using the frozen potatoes/hash brown style. How much of the other ingredients?
I am also wondering if I bought 5lbs. of dry pasta, if that would be enough for a pasta salad?
Thanks!
ellen
06/11/14
I do 20 pounds potatoes for 100.

I usually do 6 pounds dry pasta for salad for 100 people. With your potatoes, that might do for your party.

Joshua
07/25/14
I am serving baked beans for 50-60 for a baby shower tomorrow. I make them homemade using canned pork and beans. How many of the restaurant size(i think they are called 10# cans) would I need?
ellen
07/26/14
I use 4 #10 cans for 100.
Maria
10/24/14
I'll be baking 200 pieces cinnamon rolls how much of bread flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon powder, yeast, egg and milk do I need? Many thanks
Maria
10/24/14
I'll be cooking lunch for 100 people in our church. I'll be making chicken curry and beef curry and serve with rice. How many kilos of meats and rice do I need? Many thanks
ellen
10/25/14
Maria, a simple way to make cinnamon rolls is to use the angel biscuits recipe on this site.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/oamc/biscuits.html

8 pounds of flour makes about 100 rolls.

ellen
10/25/14
Maria, this depends on whether there are vegetable in the dishes, or if they are straight meat, such as butter chicken.

I use about 5 kilos of rice per 100 for moderate portions.

I use about 30-35 pounds (14-15 kilos)of raw boneless meat per 100 for stews. Americans eat large meat portions.

Maria
10/27/14
Thank you very much Ellen really appreciate it. i'll be needing your help coz i'll be in charge with fellowship lunch in our church once a month.
God bless your heart :)
Jane
11/03/14
Could you please tell me how much ground beef I would need to make 150 cabbage rolls. Thank you
ellen
11/03/14
They vary a great deal in size/fatness, but 25 pounds of ground meat makes about 200 fat and meaty ones. you can use 1/2 that amount with more rice, maybe raisins and slivered almonds.
Dennis
11/23/14
To feed 400 people how much Mac sald do I need to buy
ellen
11/23/14
It depends on the rest of the menu. Still, if it is the only starch salad, about 4 gallons per 100, if it is one of 2 or 3 choices, 3 gallons.
lanna
02/09/15
how much canned tuna (for tuna casserole) to feed 250 people, approx. 3oz servings.
ellen
02/09/15
Lanna, a 3 ounce serving is not even a half cup, and for a casserole, 1-1 1/2 cups is the usual diner serving. Please allow at least 1 1/2 ounces drained tuna per person for a dinner casserole. Tuna is available in 60 ounce cans at most warehouse stores and restaurant supply stores.
Carmen Tsang
03/02/15
Hi, how many pound veggies, potatoes, stuffing, gravy do i need to feed 250 adults? Thank you!
Carmen Tsang
03/02/15
Amount
in my previous question, i meant to say how many potatoes do i need to make mash potatoe for 250 adults?
ellen
03/02/15
If this is the main starchy side dish, I start with 40-45 pounds per 100.
ellen
03/02/15
If this is the main starchy side dish, I start with 40-45 pounds per 100.
karen evans
03/29/15
amounts
how many bags of shredded iceberg lettuce ,mac &cheese.cucumbers ,cherry tomatoes,rolls do I need to feed 325 people at a wedding reception
ellen
03/30/15
For the salad, do 3 times the amount for 100 of the garden salad on the plan for 100 page.

On the mac and cheese, if that is the only starch,
1 pound dry pasta per 10
1 quart sauce per pound
1/2 to 1 pound cheese per pound

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation,maybe a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

ann
04/02/15
how many dozen of rolls to feed 325 people at a wedding reception
ellen
04/03/15
I allow 2 rolls each and 3 pounds butter per 100, even good bread is not expensive. So about 50-54 dozen.
BJ
04/11/15
Hi Ellen
How many cases of leg quarters and how many cases of mustard greens do I need for 500 people
ellen
04/11/15
2 40 pound cases quarters per 100
50 pounds whole raw greens or 24 pounds ready to cook greens per 100.
Guadalupe
04/06/16
How many bags of potatoes do I need to make mashed potatoes for 100 people?
ellen
04/06/16
You want 40-50 pounds of potatoes, depends on whether there is dressing/stuffing or another starchy dish.
Rose
01/04/17
A
Hi Ellen...im doing cold plates for a wedding...we are having roughly 100-150 people. Im wondering how much of each will I need.
Turkey
Ham
Potato salad
Coleslaw
Lettuce
Tomato
macaroni salad
dressing.....any help will be greatly appreciated. Im doing this alone...only got 3 months to get this done :(
Tiffany
01/05/17
Hi, I am preparing a nacho bar for approx 50 people for a baby shower. Can you please tell me if my shopping list looks accurate? It will be served as a meal.
Tortilla chips - 8lbs
Hamburger meat - 13 lbs
Nacho Cheese - 2 #10 cans
Refried Beans - 1 #10 can
Jalapenos - Half a gallon
Sour Cream - 5lbs
Salsa - two 38 oz jars
Tomatoes - 3lbs
onions - 3 lbs
Olives - 38 oz can

Do you seen any changes I should make? Should I add or remove anything from the list? We are using crockpots to keep the meat and cheese warm. This is my first time doing a nacho bar. Thank you for the help.

ellen
01/06/17
Tiffany, you double posted, see the other one.
ellen
01/06/17
Rose, It really matters how many people. What do you know about the number? Also, it will take at least 3 people in the kitchen and about 6 out front to set up, serve and clean up this size meal- plan for help!
Nancy L Schneider
10/22/19
Hi,
planning on serving mashed potatoes with cream cheese, butter, milk etc for 250 people for my daughters wedding. Any idea how many pounds of raw potatoes i need to use? and how much do you allow for each person per serving? thanks!
Nancy
ellen
10/22/19
Nancy, use the recipe for freezable, holdable mashed potatoes on the Big Pots page as a quantity guide. Very reliable.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)