See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

How much food??
Jenalee
05/29/12
Hello I'm getting married in August and we are doing a outdoor bbq.. I was needing some help with how much food I should get. I plan on around 150+ showing up my menu consists of...

Smoked Turkey, Smoked Chicken, Smoked Brisket and hamburgers & hot dogs for kiddos..
A Ranch bacon pasta salad, green salad, macaroni salad and a fresh fruit salad.
Also will have some finger foods of veggie trays from costco... (have you heard of that place??) a varitey of chips and dip and than fruit trays.
I know that quite a bit of food but I don't have any idea where to start to buy. How many turkeys? How many chickens?? How much pasta for salad? How much macaroni salad and green salad should I make? How many bags of chips n dips? How many fruit and veggie trays? HAHAHA sorry for so many questions, but please help! I would greatly apppreciate it :)

ellen
05/30/12
Smoked Turkey, 1 pound raw whole per 3- 3-4 14-16 pound turkeys
Smoked Chicken, 1 chicken per 8
Smoked Brisket- 1/2 pound raw per person
hamburgers & hot dogs for kiddos. Do one only- 1.2 per kid

Have a couple packs of veggie burgers or "Field Sausage" for the non meat eaters in your crowd

1/4 cup bbq sauce per person for the table

You need bread or rolls- 12 pounds per 100, 2-3 pounds butter per 100.

A Ranch bacon pasta salad, 6 pounds dry pasta per 100
green salad, see plan for 100 page
macaroni salad- consider potato salad instead- 4 1/2 gallons per 100

fresh fruit salad, do fruit trays instead. Easier, prettier, keep better and the leftovers are more usable. See fruit tray page. MUCH cheaper to do yourself; takes 2 people about 5 hours to do fruit for 300...

veggie trays from costco- 2 ounces veggies, 1/4 cup dip per person
a variety of chips and dip- 1 pound chips per 10 2-3 cups dip/ salsa per pound

Use the dessert planning page and the beverage planning page for other items. Have a cold punch or lemonade and sweet and unsweet tea.

If this saves you some time, trouble, or money, consider a donation to support this site.

Candace Skrapek
08/31/13
Could you tell me how many Costco prepared fruit trays would be needed for around 120 people for simple breakfast (pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon)?
Many thanks
ellen
08/31/13
5 pound tray is around $14. You would need 6 to 8 depending on the menu and the other fruit and juice choices.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)