See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Food Amounts - Wedding Reception for 100
Sandra
06/13/12
I'm self catering my daughter's wedding at the end of July. The wedding takes place at 7pm, with reception from 8-1. There will be approximately 100 adult guests and 20 children between 8-17 years old. Many of the guests are big eaters. My daughter's only requests were little ham biscuits (the dinner roll type buns) and Krispy Kreme donuts. :) This is the menu I've devised and wonder if you could check the amounts for me. I have access to one oven with 6 stove-top burners (maybe 8, I can't remember) and 2 helpers the day of the wedding.

Ham biscuits - 20 lbs ham and 14 dozen little rolls (making these 1 day ahead and refrigerating)
Chicken Salad using 10 lbs of chicken served with 100 mini-croissants (I thought I'd put the salad in a bowl on top of a 3-tier tray with the split croissants on the lower levels and a tray on the bottom as well)
Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta-6 loaves (32 pcs per loaf) We made this to try it yesterday, I baked some of the bread ahead. I have it in the freezer and will try it in a week or two to see how it holds up.
Vegetable tray with 13 lbs vegetable and 4 qts dip
Antipasto Vegetables-2 gallons
Buffalo chicken bites-150 1" pieces
Pizza Rolls- 2 boxes of 144 (kid friendly)
Mini Corn Dog bites- 2 boxes of 80 with 2 qts ketchup (kid friendly)
Sausage balls- 4x the bisquick recipe using 1 lb sausage and 12oz cheese, made ahead, frozen and baked the day of wedding
Assorted cheeses and spreads- 10 lbs total with
3 lbs crackers
Luscious Spinach Artichoke dip- 4 recipes with 6 lbs tortilla chips

Fruit platter using 24 lbs grapes
combined total 24 lbs melon and pineapple
16 qts strawberries and
4 qts chocolate dip (we were originally going to do a fountain, but after reading your wonderful article, decided to do dip instead)

7 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts
7 dozen S'mores cupcakes
90 mini pails (dixie cup sized) "Dirt Cake" made to look like beach sand (these are favors)
Wedding Cake

If needed,
Pasta Salad with 7 lbs dry pasta and 3 lbs vegetables
8 dozen cheesecake tartlets (can be frozen 1 month, then thaw, serve) and
8 dozen oat & toffee bars (can be frozen 3 months, thaw, serve)

5 gallons sweet tea
5 gallons pink lemonade
8 cases bottled water
17 1.5L bottle champagne for toasting
Signature cocktail- Lynchburg Lemonade (no idea how much)

Also, should I plan on 4 plates per person? I'd like to use 6" or 7" plates.

This sounds like a lot of food to me, but I'm unsure of the amounts and variety. Thank you so much for developing this forum to help with event planning for the inexperienced, such as myself.

ellen
06/13/12
First, I want to talk to you as mother of the bride;

On the wedding day, you and she want to have the day to yourselves. It is really important to find or hire a manager for the food so neither of you have to be in the kitchen- or the day becomes a food day, not a wedding day.

A buffet for 100 people takes about 3 kitchen people and at least 6 servers to set up, serve and clear away. These can be volunteers, hired, church ladies, etc; but there needs to be some experience there. And none should be members of the wedding party. Any money you spend on this, will be among your best investments for the event.

Now, about the food.

Ham biscuits - 20 lbs ham and 14 dozen little rolls (making these 1 day ahead and refrigerating)- OK, probably none left
Chicken Salad using 10 lbs of chicken served with 100 mini-croissants 20 pounds chicken
(I thought I'd put the salad in a bowl on top of a 3-tier tray with the split croissants on the lower levels and a tray on the bottom as well) the salad needs to be iced
Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta-6 loaves (32 pcs per loaf) We made this to try it yesterday, I baked some of the bread ahead. I have it in the freezer and will try it in a week or two to see how it holds up. OK. How about a second flavor, maybe pesto for color, and to add a starch
Vegetable tray with 13 lbs vegetable and 4 qts dip- OK
Antipasto Vegetables-2 gallons- OK probably none left
Buffalo chicken bites-150 1" pieces
Pizza Rolls- 2 boxes of 144 (kid friendly)-OK
Mini Corn Dog bites- 2 boxes of 80 with 2 qts ketchup (kid friendly)-OK most of the grown ups will take one, too...
Sausage balls- 4x the bisquick recipe using 1 lb sausage and 12oz cheese, made ahead, frozen and baked the day of wedding VERY popular, make at least double
Assorted cheeses and spreads- 10 lbs total with
3 lbs crackers- go 16 pounds with 8 pounds crackers
Luscious Spinach Artichoke dip- 4 recipes with 6 lbs tortilla chips- need 1/4 to 1/3 cup per person

Fruit platter using 24 lbs grapes- 20 OK
combined total 24 lbs melon and pineapple
16 qts strawberries and
4 qts chocolate dip (we were originally going to do a fountain, but after reading your wonderful article, decided to do dip instead)

7 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts- suggest you get lots of the donut holes? unless her heart is set on the full size.
7 dozen S'mores cupcakes
90 mini pails (dixie cup sized) "Dirt Cake" made to look like beach sand (these are favors)
Wedding Cake

All OK desserts

If needed,
Pasta Salad with 7 lbs dry pasta and 3 lbs vegetables
8 dozen cheesecake tartlets (can be frozen 1 month, then thaw, serve) and
8 dozen oat & toffee bars (can be frozen 3 months, thaw, serve)

5 gallons sweet tea have at least 2 gallons unsweet- maybe green- very popular these days
5 gallons pink lemonade
8 cases bottled water
17 1.5L bottle champagne for toasting
Signature cocktail- Lynchburg Lemonade (no idea how much)- plan on 2 per drinker- consider a punch style
Do not forget ice.

Also, should I plan on 4 plates per person? I'd like to use 6" or 7" plates. Yes. At least 3 cups and 2 forks, 4 napkins

Sandra
06/13/12
Thank you, Ellen!
I will get more people to help and increase the food amounts as you suggested. She really wants the full-sized donuts. She can't get them fresh where she lives, and since she's getting married in her hometown, she wants the full-sized, melt in your mouth, fresh donuts. She also wants to introduce her out of town guests to this wonderful treat. Will 7 dozen be enough?

How much pesto should I get for the bread?

ellen
06/13/12
You need about 1/2 pound per loaf/pound of bread for the pesto.

As to the donut amounts; with all the other desserts, it "should" be, but I would get several more boxes for the dressing rooms and maybe an extra one for the honeymoon suite...

sylvia
06/01/14
feeding about 150 people chicken biscuit dinner
need help figuring out how many pounds of chicken to feed about 150 people and would it be better just using whole chicken or chicken breast? Thanks for your help
ellen
06/01/14
Sylvia, if this is a chicken in gravy dish with some mushrooms or other veg, sometimes called "chicken shortcake", 1 pound (2 cups)diced cooked chicken serves 4. 1 pound whole chicken makes 1 cup. 1 pound boneless makes 2 cups. So, you have to compare sale prices in your area

If you get whole chickens, use the carcasses to make chicken broth for your gravy.

Teresa
06/25/15
how much country ham would I need to make 100 2 inch biscuits
ellen
06/25/15
About 1 ounce per biscuit, or 13-14 pounds
Delores
08/26/16
Thanks for the heads up.
MaryAnn Heimburg
11/22/16
We are planning an association New Years party to be attended by 120 ppl.

we are planning 4 packages of smoked salmon
2 8 oz. pkg cream creese
6 baguettes
1 jar capers
300 meatballs
sauce made with 6 cans cranberry and 6 bottles Heinz
chili
12 lbs large peeled and deveined shrimp
2 jars cocktail sauce
4 pounds sliced ham
4 lbs. slice turkey
105 small rolls
2 lbs. sliced provolone
2 lbs. sliced swiss
mayo
2 mustards
10 lbs chicken salad
96 mini croissant
2 spinach artichoke dips
2 large bags of scoops
2 large bags of Ruffle
2 containers French onion dip
4 pineapples sliced and served quartered
2 lbs. grapes
2 lbs. strawberries
2 premade vege trays
2 24 oz. baked brie
3 large pizzas in 2 inch cut
1 can green olive
1 can black olive
100 mini eclair
100 mini cream puff
96 mini cheese cakes
72 fancy selection brownies
The association will provide coffee, creamer and paper goods.
please advise

ellen
11/22/16
How much does the salmon weigh per package? How long is the party and when does it start. Is there any alcohol served? Please write back.

Heads up, with shrimp, if you can't provide at least 1 pound per 6 guests, don't serve it at all. This is not even3 per person, and people are greedy about shrimp. It's enough to make a good shrimp dip for this many people.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)