See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Graduation open house
Katie
06/14/12
We are hosting a graduation party (open house) from 11AM-3PM. We have 85 invitees (34 adults, 24 teens, 27 kids under 10)
I'd like to serve finger foods and have to just replenish as needed since folks will be coming and going at different times. After perusing your site (which is fantastic), this is what I've come up with, but I'm very unsure about the amounts:
- 30 lbs meatballs (in crock-pot)
- 18 lbs cocktail wieners (in crock-pot)
- Fruit for trays (4 pineapples, 6 lbs strawberries, 6 lbs grapes, 6 lbs apples)
- Veggies for trays (3 lbs broccoli, 2 lbs celery, 3 lbs carrots, 2 lbs tomatoes, 12 cups ranch dressing)
- 20 lbs cubed cheese
- 8 lbs tortilla chips
- 1 gallon salsa
We have several people attending who are gluten-free, dairy-free, and/or vegan so I'm wondering if I need to serve hummus also or instead of salsa and perhaps a different type of chip to go with it?
For dessert I've planned:
- 90 candy graduation lollipops (a Reese's cup toped with a square of chocolate)
- 96 pirouette cookies
- 96 mini frosted cupcakes
Drinks:
- 192 (8 oz) bottles water
- cans of soda? juice boxes?

Thanks for any help you can give!

ellen
06/14/12
I would estimate this as 75 people.

- 30 lbs meatballs (in crock-pot)- 20 is plenty
- 18 lbs cocktail wieners (in crock-pot)- OK, 15 probably enough
- Fruit for trays (4 pineapples, 6 lbs strawberries, 6 lbs grapes, 6 lbs apples)-double the strawberries, be sure to dip the apples in orange juice to prevent the slices from browning, add a vanilla or maple yogurt dip with a little nutmeg or mace- 2-3 quarts
- Veggies for trays (3 lbs broccoli, 2 lbs celery, 3 lbs carrots, 2 lbs tomatoes, 12 cups ranch dressing)- maybe add a couple of cauliflowers for color
- 20 lbs cubed cheese- 12-15 plenty
- 8 lbs tortilla chips-OK
- 1 gallon salsa-OK

We have several people attending who are gluten-free, dairy-free, and/or vegan so I'm wondering if I need to serve hummus also or instead of salsa and perhaps a different type of chip to go with it?
hummus is a great addition and you can get really good gluten free rice and sesame crackers/chips

For dessert I've planned:
- 90 candy graduation lollipops (a Reese's cup topped with a square of chocolate)
- 96 pirouette cookies- you could double these
- 96 mini frosted cupcakes
Drinks:
- 192 (8 oz) bottles water
- cans of soda? juice boxes? how about lemonade or iced tea, or both? About 6 gallons total for tea, 2 unsweet, and 4 gallons lemonade

If this saves you time or trouble, consider a donation to support the site.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)