See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

teen spring formal for 50-100
Jennifer
07/21/12
Dear Ellen,

We are planning a high school spring formal. Budget will be tight and we are not sure yet of how many teens we will have (9th gr-12th gr) We think at least 50, maybe towards 100. More boys than girls I think. It will be our first time planning something like this. I am planning food for 50 to get an idea of food cost and then we can double it up later if needed. Your site has been very helpful. The party will be from 7-11 pm, formal with dancing, prom-like. Parents may be present but we plan on their food being elsewhere. Not sure of the theme yet. I plan on suggesting 'light appetizers will be served' on invitations and tickets. We also plan on having hot, heavier foods for first two hours and then last two hours, just cookies and chips, maybe switching to soda.

So far this is the menu I have and amounts. Would you look at it and give me your advice? I want enough but not tons of leftovers as I plan on food being thrown away not taken home since it will have been out. We will have a kitchen but I have not seen it yet, so not sure of oven or refrigerator space.

10 lb ham and 10 lb turkey, shaved made in to 1/4 sandwiches, at least 120 1/4 each (hate to do it but I think budget will require sandwich bread instead of rolls/crossiant)
12 lb cocktail sausage, bbq sauce
12 lb meatballs, sweet and sour
8 lb cheese cubes, cheddar and mozzerella, maybe one more kind
2 4lb cheese balls
12 lb assorted crackers
18-20 lb veggies, baby carrots, celery, broccoli 3qt ranch, 3 qt french onion
12 lb fruit strawberries, apple slices, mini grape bunches, maybe cantalope
12 gal of punch and ice tea and water in addition
120 cupcakes
5lb peanuts and 5lb mints (maybe)
For later in evening-- 18 lb chips, 2 kinds, maybe popcorn, 3 qt ranch dip and 3 qt salsa, 12 doz cookies from bakery (someone suggested a candy buffet but unsure of budget still)

I would like to offer chicken strips as well, if we can afford to, but I am concerned about cooking enough and keeping them hot, then all the dipping sauces, etc. I will be able to have food warmers. If we have towards the 100 I will probably add mini quiche and roast beef and swiss spirals. We plan on it being a little 'classy' but I have already been told not to bother having veg and fruit since the kids won't eat it. I am thinking they will eat everything but tablecloths

Also, I am not sure of my help, may only have one other mom and we will be in charge of kids decorating morning of party, so I really need it simple, or able to prepare ahead.

Any advice for me?

ellen
07/22/12
First, may I suggest you re-set the time to 8-11, as this will assure that all eat dinner before they come.

Now for he amounts, this looks like too much for 50:

10 lb ham and 10 lb turkey, shaved made in to 1/4 sandwiches, at least 120 1/4 each (hate to do it but I think budget will require sandwich bread instead of rolls/croissant)- have just the turkey, get mini rolls or croissants.

12 lb cocktail sausage, bbq sauce- this is relatively expensive, and it drips- consider skipping or a different choice, such as pizza bites or the chicken bites. If not, 10 is enough.
12 lb meatballs, sweet and sour- OK, but-
This is a lot of meats, you might consider some non-meat choices, such as the Parm spinach squares, grape tomatoes with cheese.

8 lb cheese cubes, cheddar and mozzarella, maybe one more kind- jack instead, 6 pounds OK
2 4lb cheese balls- OK
12 lb assorted crackers- 6-7 is plenty

18-20 lb veggies, baby carrots, celery, broccoli- 10-12 pounds plenty, include some cherry tomatoes and cauliflower
3qt ranch, 3 qt french onion- good
12 lb fruit strawberries, apple slices, mini grape bunches, maybe cantaloupe- OK, watermelon cubes are also possible
12 gal of punch and ice tea
- 10 plenty
water in addition
120 cupcakes- for 50 people, even teens, about 80
5lb peanuts and 5lb mints (maybe)-3 pounds each plenty

For later in evening--
18 lb chips, 2 kinds, for 50 people, 12-14 pounds MAX
maybe popcorn, not in formal clothes
3 qt ranch dip and 3 qt salsa,
12 doz cookies from bakery- you could have people bake and freeze- much cheaper and better cookies
(someone suggested a candy buffet but unsure of budget still- these are very costly)

Jennifer
07/22/12
Thank you so much! I am nervous as I have only helped many times for something like this, never chosen the amounts.

To make sure, one sandwich choice, still 120 sandwiches, or only 50-60 since they will be larger?

And substitute either meatballs or sausage with a vegetarian choice? Should it be hot, or could it be cold? Still about 10 pounds though?

If we add chicken strips, can I plan on one each or should I plan on two?

With the distance some people are coming and the area they are coming to (not many restaurants) the teens will have probably had a burger or something quick, so I want to make sure we have enough to fill them, I just want to tactfully encourage them not to start out hungry since we won't be serving a sit down meal

ellen
07/23/12
10 pounds of ready to eat turkey will make 80-90 sandwiches.

You need to have 3 "bites" of for the appetizer meatballs/sausage; cold is fine.

Be careful with the strips- at least 2 per person- but 4-5 nuggets or bites would be wiser.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)