See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

150 people
Chandra kanth
09/28/12
Can you tell the ingredients for vegetable biryani for 150 people?
ellen
09/28/12
Chandra, for party size portions for this many people, I allow a kilo of rice for each 12 people for a vegetable biryani. Everything else is in proportion.

This recipe may help you with the spices, note it is for 100:

www.grouprecipes.com/48798/mass-cooking--biryani-for-100-people.html

You would use traditional vegetables instead of the meat, such as tomatoes, carrots, turnips, peas, cut green beans. Onions of course, and garlic.

Ghiani Bhikam
11/18/13
100 people
Can i have a recipe for vegetable biryani for 100 people please
ellen
11/18/13
Go to the link just above and make the substitutions of vegetables for the meats.
karan
10/26/14
100 people
please mail me
ellen
10/27/14
I can't- this posting program shreds your email once it posts you. You can email me at the link at the bottom of this page.
Abhijit Parab
11/15/14
Veg biryani
ellen
11/15/14
Dear Abhijit, the links and amounts I have for this dish are already posted on this thread.
renuka
12/26/14
100 people
Can i have a recipe for vegetable biryani for 100 people please. and also i need to know the quantity of incredients for 100 people
ellen
12/26/14
The link for that recipe is listed above, 9/28/12.
ellen
12/26/14
For technique, you might look at this:

www.vegrecipesofindia.com/hyderabad-veg-biryani-hyderabadi-vegetable-dum-biryani-recipe/

ellen
12/26/14
Here are the approximate measures for 100 servings of hyderabadi style vegetable basmati.

38 cups basmati rice
50 green cardamoms/hari elaichi or choti elaichi
50 black cardamoms/badi elaichi
50 cloves/laung/lavang
25 cinnamon/dal chini of 1 inch
25 bay leaf/tej patta
50 mace strands/javitri
75 cups water
salt

The Vegetable Gravy:

13 headsof a medium sized cauliflower/phool gobi, florets removed
25 medium sized carrot/gajar, diced
25 medium sized potato/aloo, cubed
13 cups chopped or sliced mushrooms
13 cups frozen/fresh peas/matar
36 onions/pyaaz, finely sliced
25 green chilis, slit
2 tbsp ginger/adrak, julienned
1 1/2 cups chopped garlic/lahsun
1/2 cup caraway seeds/shah jeera
50 green cardamoms/hari elaichi or choti elaichi
50 black cardamoms/badi elaichi
50 cloves/laung/lavang
25 cinnamon/dal chini of 1 inch
25 bay leaf/tej patta
50 mace strands/javitri
2500 gms (about 5 quarts) whisked yogurt/curd/dahi
1/4 cup turmeric powder/haldi
1/2 cup red chili powder/cayenne pepper
3 1/2 cups cashewnuts
1 3/4 cups sultanas/raisins
3 1/2 cups almonds/badam, blanched, peeled and sliced
4 1/2 cups ghee
salt

Herbs and Spices for the assembling:

13 cups chopped coriander/cilantro leaves/dhania patta
13 cups mint leaves/pudina patta
2500 gms (about 5 quarts) whisked yogurt/curd/dahi
50 strands saffron/kesar, strands
3 1/2 cups milk

I also have a recipe for mirchka salon for 100, post if you need it.

meghana
02/08/15
Can i have a recipe for vegetable biryani for 100 people please mail
ellen
02/08/15
Meghana, I can't mail to you unless you use the email contact at the bottom of the page. However the ingredients for that dish are listed right above your post.
Aarti
10/19/15
500 pax
i want for 500 pax vegetable pulao plz gv just idea
ellen
10/20/15
Aarti, do you just need ingredient amounts? Here is a simple recipe:

vegetable pulao
www.vegrecipesofindia.com/vegetable-pulao-recipe-veg-pulao/

You would do 123 times the veg and rice amounts, just about 100 times the spice amounts.

vinay
10/21/15
120 people
veg biryani
ellen
10/22/15
Look at the recipe dated 12/26 on this thread. Namaste.
Kalay C
11/30/15
Please tell me how many kgs of dhal to use for 100 people. Will be accompanied by three veg curries.
Thanks. Brilliant site.
ellen
11/30/15
100 people-dahl
For a side dish of beans, I cook about 8 pounds per 100, which is a bit over 3 kilos.
Jayawant Naktee
05/12/16
500 people
please send me recipe ok kadhi and mix sabji of alu, mutter and flower for 500 people
ellen
05/12/16
I am sorry, but I don't have access to that recipe- there is so much variation, whether or not there are pakora in the bowl, etc. Do use the google search-
Anu
06/06/16
Hello can I get Rice & Veggies proportion for vegetable Biryani for 20 people

Thanks a lot !

ellen
06/06/16
Use the recipe of 12/16/14, do 1/4 the amount and you will have plenty.
ABHIJIT
06/20/16
100 people
need reciep for 100 pax gathering
1. veg biriyani
2. veg fried rice
3. ceg manchurian

kindly assist

abhijit

ellen
06/20/16
Abhijit, will all these be served at the same meal? Will it be plated with some of each on every plate, or is it a self service buffet? Do you want the veg Manchurian gravy only, or with the dumplings? What is the event or the age of the crowd? Please write back with more information.

Caution, my estimates are for USA portions, which tend to be larger than the rest of the world.

vinod
07/02/16
100 people
veg pulao
vinod
07/02/16
100 people
kindly help, I need recipe for Veg Pulao with ingredient measure, i want to serve home cooked for my guests
ellen
07/02/16
This is a pleasant recipe:

vegetable pulao
www.vegrecipesofindia.com/vegetable-pulao-recipe-veg-pulao/

For 100

36 cups long grained or basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
8 cups each of chopped carrots, cauliflower/broccoli, french beans, green peas (fresh or frozen) and carrots. or 24 to 36 cups chopped veggies (you can add your choice of vegetables)
24 large onion, thinly sliced
24 medium size tomato, chopped
Crush together 12 inches ginger + 48 to 60 medium garlic cloves + 24 green chili, crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle
2 tablespoons of lime juice
60 to 72 cups water or veg stock (check notes below for details. i added 3 cups of water)
3 cups ghee or 3 3/4 cups oil
salt as required

whole spices for veg pulao:
6 tablespoons cumin seeds/jeera or 5 tablespoons caraway seeds/shah jeera
80 whole black pepper
20 indian bay leaf or tej patta or tamalpatra
40 to 60 cloves/laung
40 to 60 green cardamoms/hari elaichi or choti elaichi
20 black cardamom/ badi elaichi
40 single strands of mace/jayitri or javitri,
20 small star anise/chakriphool
20 inches cinnamon/dalchini
20 small pieces of stone flower/dagad phool or patthar ke phool (optional)

how to make the recipe:

rinse rinse till the water runs clear of starch and become transparent while rinsing.
soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. drain and keep aside.
in a deep thick bottomed pot or pan, heat ghee/oil and fry all the whole spices mentioned above, till the oil becomes fragrant
add the onions and saute them till golden. saute the onions on a low flame and stir often for uniform color, do not overbrown.
add the ginger-garlic-green chili paste and saute for 20 to 30 seconds.
add the tomatoes and saute for 3-5 minutes on a low flame.
add all the veggies and saute again for 3-5 minutes on a low flame.
add drained rice and saute gently for 2 minutes on a low flame, stirring so that the rice gets well coated with the oil.
pour liquid and stir. If you have preheated the liquid, it speeds the cooking time
sprinkle 6 to 7 drops of lime juice. season with salt and stir again.
cover tightly and let the rice cook on a low flame, till the water is absorbed and the rice is well cooked. check in between a few times to check if the water is enough. depending on the quality of rice, you may need to add less or more water. with a fork too, you can gently stir the rice without breaking the rice grains. This can take from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the age of the rice and the size of the vegetables
once the rice grains are cooked, fluff and let the rice stand for 5 minutes.
serve the veg pulao hot with some side salad, sliced onion & lemon wedges or raita. you can also garnish veg pulao with chopped coriander or mint leaves.

notes
if you are making veg pulao in a pressure cooker, for an al dente texture, the lesser amount of liquid to start and for a softer texture the larger amount.

ahsaan
07/05/16
20 people
veg pulao for 20 people
ellen
07/05/16
Veg pulao 20 people
Use the recipe of 12/16/14, do 1/4 the amount and you will have plenty. Or do 1/4 of the one just above.
sridevi
07/31/16
Hi kindly Can I have proportion for hyderabadi chicken dum biryani for 100 people
ellen
08/01/16
One kilo boneless chicken per 6 people for generous portions, this serves 8 if not self-service buffet. Too many different recipes for this spicy dish, I suggest you figure the spices from your favorite recipe. 6 kilos of rice per 100 for generous servings..
Adrian
11/06/16
Hi can u please give me a recipe for mutton briyani for 150ppl using parboiled rice. Thank you
Basant barik
11/13/16
I want to make foods for 12,000 people so please give me suggestion how much ingridiant will requier for that

Break Fast MENUE:IDLI, VADA, UPMA, SAMBAR, 3TYPES CHATNI, POHA, PURI BHAJI, BHAJI, FRUITS, ORANGE JUICE OR SIMILAR, SPROUT

LUNCH MENUE :TAWA ROTI, RICE, DAL, PANEER, MIX SABJI, KHATTA, DAHI, SALAD, PAPAD

DINNER MENU......SAME AS LUNCH MENU

ellen
11/13/16
Basant, I am not the right person to consult for this event. Variables include type of service, type of event, kitchen available. Talk to local folks who do this size event; you are looking at a thousand people to set up, serve and clean up this event-
Magendiran
12/02/16
Sir,
forthwith my son birthday so i want prepare home make food for 150 persons. the following items prepared for veg puloa, veg kuruma, chicken curry, salad, kheer
ellen
12/03/16
I think you want guidance on how much- I assume you have your basic recipes.

veg puloa, made with at least 6 kilos of raw rice; 1 kilo more would be generous

veg kuruma, tasty vegetable curry, using any traditional recipe, each liter of water for sauce makes serving for 15

chicken curry, each kilo of boneless chicken meat will make 10 generous portions of meaty curry

salad, each kilo of ready to eat greens/ veggies will make salad for about 15

kheer , each liter of milk (dairy or coconut) will make 8 servings

I assume you will have bread, chutneys, raita?

Happy birthday to the boy.

Mohan
12/12/16
60 people
Veg palou for 60 people and curd chutney plz send us da ingredients list quantity and preparing.... Tq
ellen
12/20/16
Sorry, I don't have the recipes you need. I can help with the quantities for 60- 5 kilos of rice and sufficient veg to make your recipe will give big party-size servings. Chutneys about 1 liter for 12-15 and raita, about 1 liter for 8
Nandh
01/03/17
100 peoples
Vej paneer biryani recipe
ellen
01/03/17
It will take a few days-
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)