See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Freezing spaghetti
Ady
10/02/12
Hi Ellen,

I need to cook spaghetti for 90 people but don't have time to do cook everything at one time. Can I freeze the spaghetti and keep it frozen for a few days without sacrificing taste? Also, should I freeze the noodles, sauce and meat together or separately and then add them together once they have thawed? Finally, how much ground beef should I purchase for 90 people? I will also serve salad and bread.

Thanks so much for your help!!

ellen
10/03/12
Ady, look at the recipe for the mozzarella sausage bake for 120 on the spaghetti page, and do 3/4, or look at the baked spaghetti in basic budget entrees on the Big Pots page and do the whole amount, or do almost 2 of the spaghetti dinner at the bottom of the spaghetti page.

If it is less than 72 hours from making to serving, do not freeze; assemble, refrigerate, and reheat in the oven, covered. Be sure you slightly undercook the noodles if they will be refrigerated and cooked later.

misty
10/03/12
Our soccer team is hosting a spaghetti dinner about 200 -250 people.. How much pasta, sauce and hamburger would I need.
Thanks
ellen
10/03/12
Make a baked spaghetti dish using one of the recipes mentioned above; double the sausage bake, 2 1/2 times the basic budget entree or 5 times the dinner.

Loose spaghetti for this many people can be a disaster.

Ady
10/03/12
Ellen,

Thanks for your suggestions; however, I only have 3 18 quart roasters and not alot of time. I was hoping to cook the spaghetti noodles and meat ahead of time and freeze them until the day before the event, which is a marching band competition. Once I get to the event, I wanted to mix the sauce with the thawed out noodles/meat in the roasters. I won't have access to an oven and will be using generators to heat up the roasters. Any thoughts about freezing the food? Together or separately?

ellen
10/04/12
OK. May I suggest lasagna? It freezes very well and reheats well.
ellen
10/04/12
If you do decide on pasta,
your sauce will be watery, but don't panic. Simply by adding some tomato paste, should do the trick. Also, re add some of your spices, oregano, basil, allspice, garlic, a bit of salt

Also, for loose spaghetti, cook al dente, toss immediately in oil while still hot, get air out of the packages.

Ady
10/04/12
Thanks for your advice, Ellen!
ellen
10/04/12
Heat the sauce and meatballs hot, add the thawed pasta (overnight n fridge).
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)