See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Expanding the Impossible Chicken Pot Pie for 100
Jeanine
10/05/12
Wondering if you have a recipe for the impossible chicken pot pie for 100> I need to use up large bags of mixed frozen veggies which I plan to substitute for the peas and carrots. I think they are the same except for corn.
ellen
10/05/12
Yes they are similar, and you could always add some frozen corn.

This is a classic Bisquick recipe, has been around forever.

This recipe makes a 9x13 dish, which serves 10.

CHICKEN POT PIE WITH BISQUICK
3 cups cooked chicken meat (which is about 3 pounds whole chicken)
16 oz. pkg. frozen vegetables
1 cup milk
1 can cream of chicken soup (you can sub 1 1/2 cups thick cream sauce made with 6 tablespoons of flour, 4 tablespoons of butter and 1 1/2 cups of mixed milk and chicken broth, seasoned to taste.)
I like to add a little thyme, parsley, poultry seasoning...

Topping
1 cup milk
1 cup Bisquick mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Poach the chicken. Tear into bite size pieces. Place chicken in a sprayed or buttered 9 inch x 13 inch casserole dish.
Thaw the veggies in the refrigerator the night before or rinse frozen vegetables with hot water and drain. Pour over chicken.
In a small bowl, combine milk, and cream of chicken soup or cream sauce and milk. Pour over vegetables.
Combine milk, Bisquick mix and butter. Pour slowly over top of casserole. Bake at 350F for 1 hour.

Serves 10.

Kyle
03/15/13
I am making chicken pot pie for 125, and this is what I came up with. I will have: 8 whole chickens (40 lbs) that I will boil and de-bone
6 or 7 32 oz frozen bags mixed veggies
6 26 oz cans cream of chicken
6 26 oz cans cream of mushroom
12.5 Cups milk
125 Grands Biscuits
Thyme

My questions:
1. Are Grands biscuits OK? And do I use one whole biscuit for each serving, or do I need to cut them in half?

2. Would it be better to use #10 cans of VegAll instead of the bags of frozen veggies? If so, how many cans? I haven't checked the price difference yet.

I will be using shallow industrial pans (20 X 12 X 2). How many pans should this take?

Thank you so much!

ellen
03/15/13
This looks about right, and you definitely want 1 biscuit per person for the topping, and I would add 1 each for the side bread. Frozen veggies are much better than canned for this dish.

5-6 pans. You might want to add some extra chicken broth to get the right texture and volume of gravy.

Deb
03/22/13
I made chicken pot pie for 200 not too long ago and I used puff pastry as the crust (on the top and the bottom) - it worked GREAT and I got a lot of compliments on the dish. I made it in 12 x 20 foil steam table pans.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)