See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Thawing potato casserole
Deb
11/11/12
I put my mashed potato casserole in 2 1/2 inches deep half pans, which totals 6 pounds of potatoes, in other words, one half of your recipe. Then I froze them. How long will it take to thaw in the fridge? I made 3 recipes, or 36 pounds altogether,, for a dinner this Saturday.
ellen
11/11/12
24 hours in the fridge if you don't stack the pans.
Deb
11/13/12
It has been 24 hours.Still frozen hard. Is it because I doubled the pan, for strength, and because it also has an aluminum lid? It's OK, because i am not cooking them till Saturday, and I have read other people say they can stay in the fridge for several days, even unfrozen. Nothing that perishable in the recipe. I had this problem last year, not knowing how long it would take, so they were still frozen when it was time to bake them. I hadn't seen your earlier note, which is why I took them out of the freezer already.
Same issue, though, with the sweet potato casserole. But the difference is, it has raw eggs which ARE perishable. Can they sit, thawed for a couple of days? I would rather get a head start on them, too.
ellen
11/13/12
Yes the sweet potatoes can hold 48 hours thawed. If you are stacking several pans in the same fridge, that explains the slow thaw. The fridge thaws about 6-8 pounds per day easily.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)