See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Corned Beef Brisket
MaryBeth
03/14/13
Hi,
I have three corned beef briskets, each weighing
3.75lbs, 3.18lbs, and 4.75lbs. (so roughly 12lbs total). I was wanting to cook them in a large electric roasting pan (18 quart?) as opposed to multiple slow cookers. How long and what temperature do I cook it for, since it is three individuals and not one solid piece of meat? I am cooking the cabbage and potatoes separately. Thanks!
ellen
03/14/13
There is a large difference in the three pieces, so you can cook them together, but you have to take them out at different times. The smallest will take 2 1/2 to 3 hours, while the largest will probably take over 4. But DO check with a meat thermometer. Done at 160-165 internal.

Preheat the roaster to 250 for at least 15 minutes before adding the meat, which should be at room temp for a half hour before going into the broth.

Take out when the internal temp is 160-165. Let cool before slicing for nicest slices. If it is a little shreddy, cut across the grain.

MaryBeth
03/14/13
One more question: could i put the smaller pieces in later, so my end time is the same? If not, what is the best method to keep the smaller pieces warm without getting overcooked, while the largest one finishes cooking? Thank you so much for your help!
ellen
03/14/13
Yes you can do it the other way, but it is a little risky- sometimes the smaller piece does not go as well as you hoped. So DO allow the extra half hour

The corned beef will slice better if it sits a half hour after cooking before slicing. I would take advantage of the smaller pieces finishing early, to let them cool before slicing. You can re-wrap sliced in foil with a little of the cooking broth, keep warm or rewarm in the oven or a crock pot with a little broth on low.

Kay
03/15/13
Bread
Hello there,
I am in the process of planning a Saint Patrick's Day party for 40 people and I am stumped by how many loavs of soda bread and rye bread for sandwiches if people would like to make one? Thank you for your help!!
ellen
03/15/13
3-4 loaves rye bread, 5 soda bread, nice butter, good mustard. You will have some left, but everyone will have just what they want. Erin Go Bragh.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)