See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Graduation Party
Wilma
04/10/13
I'm having a grad party for 100.Never had a party for so many. How many entrees & sides do I need?? Is meatball sandwiches consider an entree? Please help!!!
THANK YOU
ellen
04/10/13
Yes, meatball sandwiches are a perfectly OK entree for a graduation party.

Is this a high school, college, or grad school graduation?

Amount of food depends on time of day, length of party and budget. Write back with more information, please.

Wilma
04/10/13
It is a high school graduation.Party is from 4to 11. We are serving the food from 5 to 7. Having cake & lots of desserts.Want to try & keep the price as low as possible.Thinking of having:
Meatball sandwiches
Boneless chicken
Rigatoni
Parsley potatoes
Cole slaw
Potato salad
Tossed salad
Bread, rolls & butter
Wanted to make sure 3 entrees are enough.
THANK YOU
ellen
04/10/13
Thanks, that is what I needed.

Meatball sandwiches-4 inch per person
Boneless chicken- chicken leg quarters are a better buy, season and bake 60, then cut some in half
Rigatoni 1 pound dry per 10, 1 quart sauce per pound
Parsley potatoes- oven-baked potato wedges are more popular- 25 pounds- but skip it if you also do potato salad

Cole slaw- 20 pounds (2 1/2 gallons)
Potato salad- do 35 pounds potatoes if you don't do the potato wedges

I would do one or other of the potatoes and 2 1/2-3 gallons (one roaster full) beans

Have fun
Tossed salad- see plan for 100 page

Bread, rolls & butter- about 8 pounds bread, 2 pounds butter

Tammy
04/14/13
I'm planning a college grad party to be held on a Sunday from 4-8pm for approx 100-125 adults and 50 children. Please let me know if this is an appropriate menu and what quantities would be needed. Fried chicken from a deli (will include equal quantities of legs, thighs, breasts and wings), mostaccioli with meat sauce (5lb pre-made trays), macaroni and cheese (5lb trays), either green beans or corn, fruit trays, vegetable trays and rolls with butter. Do I make fruit and veg trays for 175 people based on the trays for 100 link? Would a potato dish of some sort be better than mac and cheese? Should I include anything else? Will also have chips, pretzels to start and cake and possibly another dessert. I need to have most pre-made as party is same day as graduation. Thank you very much!
ellen
04/14/13
This is about what I would do:

Fried chicken from a deli (will include equal quantities of legs, thighs, breasts and wings),
1 chicken per 5

mostaccioli with meat sauce (5 lb pre-made trays), about 40 pounds

macaroni and cheese (5lb trays), I would definitely do a potato thing instead with the mostaccioli; about 40 pounds, no meat, so the folks who don't eat meat have an entree.

either green beans or corn,22 pounds per 100

fruit trays, 150 people worth

vegetable trays, how about 2 classic relish trays and 3-4 gallons of cole slaw?

rolls with butter- 12 pounds per 100, 2 pounds butter per 100

chips, 1 pound per 10
dips, 1 cup per 5

pretzels, 6 pounds per 100

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support the site.

Shanna
05/15/13
Hi Ellen, I am planning a HS graduation open house for my grandson starting 1 hour after the ceremony. 4p.m.-7p.m. At this time planning on approximately 150 people. Not everyone has R.S.V.P. The open house is being held at a Hampton Inn so there will be no stove top or oven and limited refrigeration space. Trying to save money too. This is what we have so far:

44lbs. bbq pulled pork (already cooked in sauce in freezer)
20 doz. buns
12 gal. lemonade
200-1oz. individual bags of chips
200 cupcakes
1-14x14 cake with 2-3 layers
homemade mints
3-60oz. jars of honey roasted peanuts
Hotel is furnishing coffee and water

Do you think this is sufficient amounts? Thinking of having celery sticks and baby carrots with dip. How much dip, celery and carrots do we need? Thought of potato salad, but concerned we would not have enough frig space as well as the cost. If we do go with potato salad, how much would we need? Do you think I should have any condiments for the pulled pork sandwiches?

Thanks for your help!

ellen
05/16/13
You have enough meat to make about 200 standard size sandwiches, so either cut down on the rolls or get the smaller buns.

Yes you need some trimmings for the sandwiches. I suggest 3 gallons of slaw, 1 to 1 1/2 gallons bbq sauce, about 10 pounds onion slices, and a gallon of pickles.

I would add fruit trays and either a potato or pasta salad rather than the celery and carrots. See the fruit tray page.

Pasta salad is cheaper and easier than potato. Lots of recipes for 100 on this site. You want to start with 8-9 pounds dry pasta for 150 people. Can be made ahead and stored in gallon baggies for easiest storage.

Have a good time. If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support the site.

Julie
06/14/13
Having a graduation party only one other party that day. Had over 200 people at last daughters but she had more friends. Not sure on how many cupcakes to order since having a 14x14 cake and other desserts. Bars, 2 BATCHES SNICKER SALAD, AND maybe 2 batches of dirt cake. (These were all gone at last party) Also having pulled pork sandwichs, would like to use smaller buns from cosco, how many should I order. I have roughly 45 lbs of pulled pork. Thanks!
ellen
06/14/13
Julie, you have to help me, I have no idea how big your "batch" is. Are you counting the Snickers salad as a dessert? How many servings?

the 45 pounds of pork will make 220 standard bun sandwiches or about 350 smaller buns, or 450 sliders.

Julie
06/15/13
One salad bowl of snickers salad is enough for my family gatherings of 23 people including 2 children rest are adults. Also have another question of how many pounds of potatoes I should do of garlic mashed potates. There will be taco salad, potato chips, bars, the hot 5 bean side dish, I ordered 125 rolls since I had many left last time. Thanks, I see I will be freezing pulled pork. Lucky it taste great later.
ellen
06/15/13
Hmm. At least 4 batches Snickers salad, that will do for up to about 150.

Cupcakes, about 10 dozen; the cake you are serving will cut about 30 pieces.

With teens, I usually make 40 pounds raw per 100, I would do at least 40-50 pounds. See the freezable, holdable mashed potatoes on Big Pots- you can make these, freeze in baggies, and then thaw overnight only what you know for sure you will need- thaw any extra needed in the microwave- reheat to replenish if you get more guests than expected.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donat6ion, maybe a dime per person, to sup[port this site.

Alvina
07/22/13
80th Birthday Party
We are having approximately 100 guests and serving mostacciolli, meatballs and sub-sandwiches as the main entree. Can you please tell me how much mostacciolli I should make. I was thinking about 1 cup per person.
Thanks so much!
ellen
07/22/13
Side dish, starchy entree, 8-10 pounds dry pasta.
Reetzy
09/07/13
Hello Ellen, How many pounds of cooked pasta will fit into an Aluminum 20 3/4in x 12 13/16in x 3 3/16in pan (Full pan)? Thank You.
Unity
10/14/13
Hie. m having a University graduation party for my sister in law,110 guests. was thinkingof beef braai, samoosas, roast chicken, coleslaw salad, pasta in mince
ellen
10/14/13
Reetzy, it holds 3 to 3 1/2 gallons. Use the spaghetti page to calculate the amount that makes 3 gallons, it depends on the type of pasta.
ellen
10/14/13
Hi, Unity,
This is a nice page on braii:
braai.com/braai-recipes/

As to the amount of meat, this is what I would do (do all):
1 piece chicken per person, (leg, thigh, quarter breast), plus
1 pound beefsteak per 4, plus
1 pound mince per 6-8

Shelia
10/20/13
Wedding Reception
I have 25 pounds of pre-made mostaccioli with meat sauce.There will be other food.This is my donation. They are expecting around 70 people. Will this be enough? Thank-You
ellen
10/21/13
This is enough for everyone to have a serving, but should not be the only entree.
Gary
12/14/13
300 servings of mostaccioli
How much dry product is need along with sauce and how many serving steam table pans do I need ?
Gary
ellen
12/14/13
Gary, in order to help me follow, please just start a thread and don't scatter all over the threads.

I need to know what is the rest of the menu. Please start a new thread and write back.

Sheila
05/14/14
I'm having a H.S. graduation party for 70 people from 3 to 11 food will be served at 4:30. How much food should I order for everything I want. I am having chicken, chicken tenders, mostacholi, potato salad, pasta salad, sub sandwiches and a desert table. Thanks
ellen
05/14/14
chicken, 1 piece per person
chicken tenders, 2 pieces per person, 1 cup dipping sauce per 6
sub sandwiches, usually pack 15 per tray, 5 trays

mostaccioli, 3 full catering trays, or start with 7-8 pounds dry pasta
potato salad, 2 1/2 gallons
pasta salad, 2 gallons

dessert table- use the dessert planning page for a dessert buffet, and do 3/4 the amounts for 100 of whichever plan you pick. Basically, you want small pieces, about 4 per person

Best wishes to the new grad. If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support this site.

jq
06/14/14
I am having a high school graduation cookout for and is needing some help with the menu. I don't know how many people are coming for the exception of my family in which is about 30. My menu includes meatballs,hot dogs,hamburgers, baked ziti and watermelon bowl. I want to make shish kabobs but does not know how many I should grill. The time is from 230-until
ellen
06/14/14
JQ, I can't help without numbers.

You need about 6 ounces assorted raw meats for each person, how you divide depends on what you decide.

Watermelon bowl info is on the fruit tray page, would be fine for 30+.

You could write back if you get some numbers, but do start a new thread.

Kim
06/15/14
Ellen- we are hosting a grad party for about 300 guest. Menu baked/fried chicken, pulled pork, sausage and peppers, sausage and sauerkraut, Italian meatballs , Swedish meatballs (grandma staple) and mosticcolli? Party is from 3-9... Can you tell me amounts should have? Thank you
Grammy
06/15/14
We're expecting 50 people for this graduation party.
the menu is:
sausage & peppers
meatballs
BBQ chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
potato salad
pasta salad
Amish macaroni salad
pickles, olives
veg. tray
fruit tray
baked beans
My question is how much potato salad and Amish Macaroni salad to I make for 50 people?
ellen
06/15/14
Graduation Party- Kim, 300
This is a very large group if you are planning to do it yourself. Day of, you need about 3-5 kitchen people and 12-18 servers for this size group.
The amount of food is very much affected by whether there are other parties the same night. I am giving you the numbers that assume no competition- if there are other parties, cut everythin by 10%.

First, this is a LOT of entrees, even for 300. I would cut back to 4 at most.
baked/fried chicken, 200 pieces
pulled pork, 2 roasters, about 55 pounds meat

sausage and peppers,
sausage and sauerkraut,
Suggest you pick just one and do do between 35-40 pounds

Italian meatballs,
Swedish meatballs (grandma staple)
total about 40 pounds meat balls, grandma does hers, Italian for the rest. about 3 quarts sauce for each 10 pounds meat balls

mostacciolli, 30 pounds dry pasta. Meatless would be fine, actually preferred, with all the other meats!

Best wishes to the new grad. If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support this site.

ellen
06/15/14
Graduation Party- Grammy, 50
Nice size party.

sausage & peppers, 8-10 pounds sausage, equal weight peppers
meatballs, 6-8 pounds
BBQ chicken thighs (boneless, skinless), 8 pounds

potato salad, about 2 gallons

pasta salad
Amish macaroni salad- total 4 pounds dry pasta max, divide according to estimated taste of guests

pickles, olives, 2 quarts each
veg. tray, see veg tray page
fruit tray, fruit tray page

baked beans, 2 gallons

Ardis
06/29/14
Baby's first birthday
What a great site!

Hosting a 1st birthday party for 40-50 people. time is 2 - 6 pm, so more of a late lunch.

Hot dog bar with lots of toppings and italian sausage with peppers.
Mostaccioli, either hot potato casserole or potato salad.
Mac & cheese for the kids.
Baked Beans and fruit.

Some veggie trays and chips before and of course birthday cake afterward.

Uncertain of how many hot dogs and how many pounds of mostaccioli to make? Also, how many links do you get to a pound of rope sausage?

Erin
07/03/14
Hello! I am so lucky to have found you (and I promise to donate to this awesome site)! I just called our six local caterers and they are all booked, so cooking for my daughter's graduation party is now on me. This is an open house from 2 p.m. - 11 p.m. - food available all day/night. I have no unearthly idea how many people will be coming and eating, but our best guess is to expect 100. This is to be a hog roast and my husband purchased a "60 pound dressed" hog. With it, we plan to also serve:
•fried chicken (from grocery store)
•buns/rolls
•green beans
•mac and cheese
•maybe party meatballs (if necessary???)
•sauerkraut
•oven roasted potatoes
•veggie/relish tray
•sheet cake

Any advice you can give me on this menu and the quantities I will need to buy is already great appreciated. Thank you!!

ellen
07/04/14
Erin, your pig will serve about 60 people.

bbq sauce, 1 cup per 5 people
consider adding 3 quarts cole slaw

•fried chicken (from grocery store)- allow 1 piece per person (100)
•buns/rolls- 2 small per person- or Italian/French bread, 12 pounds per 100, 3 pounds butter per 100
•green beans- 22 pounds per 100
•mac and cheese- 1 pound pasta per 10-12, 1 quart sauce per pound pasta, 1/2 to 1 pound per pound pasta
•maybe party meatballs (if necessary???) 20 pounds, 6 quarts sauce
•sauerkraut- 1 cup per 5
•oven roasted potatoes- 35 pounds per 100
•veggie/relish tray- use the veggie tray page; but fruit trays are more popular and would be nice with the pork, see the fruit tray page
•sheet cake- each full sheet serves 60- could do 2 2-layer half sheet cakes, some left, but gives a fresh one for later in the day

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support this site.

ellen
07/04/14
Ardis, sorry I missed this earlier. Assuming 50, so you will have leftovers if you have just 40. Hope this is not the b'day child's regular nap time!

Hot dog bar with lots of toppings, allow 50 dogs. Toppings, look at the taco bar page for some, look at the sandwich page for info about mustard etc.
I might add 1 gallon cole slaw
italian sausage with peppers, 1 pound sausage per 5-6, equal weight veggies
Mostaccioli, Mac & cheese for the kids, do 5 pounds pasta, divide as you wish. About 1 quart sauce per pound, 1/2 to 1 pound cheese per pound for the cheesy one.

hot potato casserole or potato salad. Do 18 pounds of potatoes in one of these.

Baked Beans, (3 #10 cans)
fruit, use fruit tray page 2 times the tray for 25

veggie trays- 1 classic relish tray, see the veggie tray page
chips- 1 pound per 10-12; 1 pint dip/salsa per pound

birthday cake, a full sheet or 2 layer half sheet serves 60

Happy birthday. If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support this site.

Erin
07/04/14
Thank you so much for your wonderful menu and advice! I am doing everything you say. I appreciate what you do so much. I am making a donation now. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you so much again!!
JD
06/10/15
40th Birthday Party
Hello. I am planning a 40th birthday party for my husband for about 40 people. I am planning on doing mostaccioli, salad and rolls but I am unsure of how much to get. Also, I am providing soda in two liter so I am unsure how many of those as well. Other than that I am going to have cupcakes and set out some type of appetizer that people can snack on such as a cheeseball and crackers. Thank you
ellen
06/13/15
Birthday party, 40 people
mostaccioli, 5-6 pounds dry pasta, everthing else proportion

salad, use plan for 100, do a scant half

rolls, 2 per person (abut 6 pounds)

soda, use the beverage planning page, scant 1/2 the amount for 100

cupcakes, 1 per person

appetizer
cheese
crackers.
Please consider a fruit tray (fruit tray page) and a relish tray or veggie tray(veggie tray page). You have enough cheese and carbs

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

val
06/16/15
hosting a grad party and I am inviting 175(ish). I am sure some wont make it but am having trouble figuring how many boneless chicken thighs to buy and cook.
Also what are your thoughts on these sides.
Shrimp kabobs
salad(romain, strawberry, red onion)
tuna salad
rice krispies(cocoa, fruitie, reg., scotcharoos)
mixed fruite

thank you soo much

ellen
06/19/15
Chicken- 75 pounds boneless skinless meat

Shrimp kabobs- Very expensive and hard to keep safe. I would do something like sausage bites or meatballs, 20 pounds, 6 quarts sauce
salad (romain, strawberry, red onion) use the plan for 100 list
tuna salad, 3 gallons, 8-10 pounds crackers

rice krispies(cocoa, fruitie, reg., scotcharoos), 2 large but preferably 3 smaller per person
mixed fruit, 5 gallons,see fruit tray page

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Renee
07/03/15
We are hosting a graduation party for about 100 people. The menu is .
Chicken Shack chicken ( breast,thighs,wings and legs)-
Chicken tenders
Broasted potatoes
Cheesy potatoes
Cole slaw
Mostaccioli
Meatball in brown gravy
Pasta salad
Relish tray. Fruit tray. Dinner rolls Question is. How much chicken should we order? We want to make sure that if
people go back for seconds there is still some available. Thank you
ellen
07/04/15
About 120 pieces each chicken and tenders and with the meatballs you will probably even have some left over.
Renee
07/06/15
Thank you Ellen!
Phil
09/04/15
8oth Bday Party
I am planning on doing mostaccioli, but I am unsure of how much to get.
We are having around 65 people (including kids)
How many boxes and jars of sauce should I plan on making?
ellen
09/04/15
12 pounds dry makes just 100 servings- could be 10 would be about right for a buffet type service. I usually allow 1 quart sauce per pound.
Kim W
11/18/15
1st Birthday Party
Hi, I'm having my granddaughters first Birthday party this Saturday from 3-7. About 46 people. Ordered chicken, and making mosticolli. I have five boxes of pasta , how many bottles of sauce do I need? We are having , potato salad, Hawaiian salad, taco salad. How many pieces of chicken do we need we ordered sixty. Their are eleven children in that count. How many liters of pop do I need. Help!!!! If you can email me that be great!!
Thank you!
ellen
11/19/15
1 quart sauce per pound of pasta- don't know how big your boxes are- a pound serves about 8-10 people. 1 piece chicken per kid under 10, 2 pieces for everyone over 10. Check the beverage planning page for complete help on the soda amounts and types.

Jeannie
02/01/16
My first born is graduating high school, we'll have around 200 guests. My menu is: fried chicken, mostacholi, meat balls, cheesy potatoes, rolls, and dessert (cup cakes, cake balls, sugar cookies). Oh and fruit. How much should I make?
Pennie
05/02/16
Hi Ellen: I am hosting a graduation party for approximately 175 people.
My menu is
Boneless wings
sandwiches
Macaroni and cheese
potato chips
some time of vegetable salad
crudites
fresh fruit
cookies
bars
cupcakes

My main concern is how many boneless wings and how many sandwiches?

ellen
05/02/16
Boneless wings- teens eat a LOT of these, at least 4 pieces per person. Consider legs- cheaper, juicier, 3 per each 2
sandwiches-depends on type. At least 120 per 100. On good rolls, they fill up faster. See sandwich pages for advice
gallon pickles per 100
Macaroni and cheese- 1 pound pasta per 8, 1 quart sauce per pound pasta, 1/2-1 pound cheese per pound pasta
potato chips- 8 pounds per 100, 1 pint dip/salsa/queso per pound
some time of vegetable salad- a slaw or broccoli slaw or carrot raisin, or some such? 2 1/2 gallons per 100
crudites, use the veggie tray page, plan on about 4 pieces per person and don't forget the Ranch dip, 1 cup per 8
fresh fruit, use the fruit tray page, plan on about 6 bites per 100

cookies
bars
cupcakes
1 cupcake each and total 4 pieces per person, counting the cupcake, if you make the cookies and bars about 2 inches. Most people would rather have several smaller kinds than 1 big kind.

Compare prices. A full sheet cake serves 60 and locally costs less than 60 cupcakes.

Ben
05/03/16
Hello,

I'm hosting an open house style graduation party for the first time. From 3:00 P.M. till 9:00 P.M. There will be around 125 guests. My concern is about the quantity of food, and the menu. HELP!!!!!
The entrées will be sauerkraut and kielbasa, and mostaccioli. With tuna salad, tossed salad, fruit salad, corn, vegetable trays, rolls and butter.
If you could please reply via email.
Thank you for your time.

ellen
05/06/16
Ben, for he protection of my readers, the email is stripped off when you post, so I hope you check back here.

sauerkraut, 1/4 cup per person, so about 2 gallons
kielbasa, 32 pounds
mostaccioli, 14 pounds dry pasta. If made with meat, reduce sausage to 26 pounds
tuna salad, 2 gallons
tossed salad, use plan for 100 list, do 1 1/4 times the amount for 100
fruit salad, consider fruit trays instead, prettier, hold better , and leftovers are more useful; see fruit tray page for trays and fruit salads for 100
corn, 22 pounds per 100 or 3 ears per 4 if broken in half
vegetable trays, use the veggie tray page
rolls, 12 pounds per 100
butter, 3 pounds per 100
You can get help with beverages on the beverage planning page. All the pages you need have buttons at the top of the main cook talk page

Hope this helps. Now I need to ask for your help in return!
We've got major changes in the works to remodel EllensKitchen.com and in order to fund the new website, better searches and more help for your events, we need to raise nearly $20,000 within the next three months! For years, I've been helping make weddings & other large events a success and I've loved every minute, and now its time for the next phase.
Even if you can only afford $5-$10, every gift helps.
Please click the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and help me keep helping you.

Julie
05/15/16
We are having a High school graduation party. Invitations that went out are around 150. I have no iidea how many will be coming, some will bring spouses and families. My concern is how much of the main dishes to make. I am planning on fried and baked chicken from store, mostocholli, cheesy potatoes and beans. I will also have other items such as fruit and veggies, buns and deserts. I am not sure how many pieces of chicken or how much mostocholli to make.
Kristina Stabile
05/16/16
hosting a graduation party for approx 50 guest.

Appetizers include: Shrimp Cocktail; Sweet and Sour Meatballs; Deviled Eggs; a large smoked salmon; Tomatoes and Mozzarella and a cheese platter.

Dinner is a bbq: Hamburgers; chicken (legs, wings and thighs); Sausage and peppers; Potato salad; pasta salad. Can I serve a broccoli mac and cheese even with the pasta salad? Also how many burger, chicken and sausages and peppers would I need to make. Thank you for you help

ellen
05/16/16
Hi, Julie,

You have to decide an estimate of how many people. I can give you amounts per 100, but I can't guess your attendance.

fried and baked chicken from store, 2 pieces total per person, you decide the fried/baked split

mostaccioli, 16 pounds pasta, 1 quart sauce per pound, 1/2 to 1 pound cheeses per pound of pasta
cheesy potatoes, 24 pounds frozen potatoes- at least 2 roasters

beans, baked, 2 1/2 gallons per 100; green 24 pounds ready to cook per 100

You can write back. Now I need to ask for your help in return!
We've got major changes in the works to remodel EllensKitchen.com and in order to fund the new website, better searches and more help for your events, we need to raise nearly $20,000 within the next three months! For years, I've been helping make weddings & other large events a success and I've loved every minute, and now its time for the next phase.
Please click the masthead at the top of the page to visit

ellen
05/17/16
Graduation Party- 50-Kristina
Appetizers include:
Shrimp Cocktail; 1 pound shrimps per 6- individual shooters of Mexican style is one way to serve while limiting shrimp, as people do tend to gobble. if no salmon, 1 pound per 5
Sweet and Sour Meatballs; 5 pounds total, 1 1/2 quarts sauce
Deviled Eggs; 2 1/2 dozen total to start
a large smoked salmon; usually 1 pound per 10 for appetizers- garnish chopped egg, cream cheese, capers and chopped green onions; if no shrimp, 1 pound per 8
Tomatoes and Mozzarella, caprese, 1 pound tomatoes per 6, 1 pound cheese per 10
cheese platter, 3 to at most 4 pounds total
crackers, 3 to at most 4 pounds total
This is a very large and elegant selection. You could omit either the shrimp or salmon and still have plenty.

Dinner is a bbq:
Hamburgers; this is such a nice dinner, consider ground beef kabobs (seasoned hamburger skewers ) instead, with a garlic sauce or tzatziki, see
www.food.com/recipe/moroccan-ground-beef-kebab-skewers-291700
Then you could do pita bread, 1 full per person, it's yummy.
In any case, 1 pound ground beef per 4
chicken (legs, wings and thighs); 1 piece per person, about 7 chickens
Sausage and peppers; 1 pound sausage per , veg to taste

Potato salad; 18 pounds raw potatoes
pasta salad, 3 pounds dry pasta

broccoli mac and cheese? sure, heavy on the broccoli, you need the veg. 4 9x13 pans; you could just do a broccoli casserole with no pasta, same amount

You can write back. Now I need to ask for your help in return!
Please click the masthead at the top of the page to visit ellensbigpots and make a donation.

Peggy
05/30/16
I'm doing a grad party from 2-6 Planning 100 or less people:
Menu: 150 pieces of fried chicken
Rigatoni 8lbs
Parsley potatoes
Side salad
Green beans
Corn
Italian bread and butter
Should I add anything else and where I didn't put amount how much do I need
ellen
05/30/16
Rigatoni 8lbs I usually make at least 1 pound dry per 10, and do make sure you have one meatless (label it), for anyone who does not eat chicken.
Parsley potatoes with pasta, 25 pounds per 100
Side salad use the plan for 100 page
Green beans 22 pounds ready to cook per 100
Corn 24 pounds ready to cook per 100
Italian bread and butter 12 pounds per 100 bread, 3 pounds butter

You might consider some fruit trays (see the fruit tray page), and a cheese platter, 10 pounds per 100 6 pounds crackers per 100. At that time slot, not everyone will do a meal.

Write back if you need to.

Now I will ask for YOUR help. We've got major changes in the works to remodel EllensKitchen.com and in order to fund the new website, better searches and more help for your events, we need to raise nearly $20,000 within the next three months! For years, I've been helping make weddings & other large events a success and I've loved every minute, and now its time for the next phase.
Please click the masthead at the top of the page to visit ellensbigpots and make a donation.

michelle
06/07/16
wedding reception
I have120 guest and needing to know how much pasta noodles I need for mustacholi how much sauce and Hamburger I'm gonna need.
ellen
06/07/16
If this is the main course, plan on 1 pound per 6 people, about 1 quart sauce per pound, 1/2 to 1 pound cheeses per pound and 1/2 to 1 pound meat. But make a pan or two meatless for any vegetarians- there will be some.

Now it's my turn to ask a favor of you. EllensKitchen.com is remodeling and I want to provide the changes YOU (my readers) have been asking for. So after 18 years of supporting my readers as a hobby, I'm asking you for help
We're 15% of the way to our goal for the next three months. If you're able to donate even just $5, please click on the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and keep us cooking for another year!

Brianna
06/09/16
Birthday party
Planning on having 70-80 people ( Big family)
Menu: Baked mostaccioli, Italian beef, Some kind of chicken. With Tossed salad, Chips and dip,Bruschetta, pasta salad. Then of course cake.
Just trying to figure out how much food is needed
ellen
06/09/16
3/4 of 100 is the guiding thought here.

Baked mostaccioli, 10- 12 pounds dry pasta, about 1 quart sauce per pound, 1/2 -1 pound cheeses per pound, make at east 1 pan meatless in case anyone is not eating meat (probably 10 with the pasta salad)

Italian beef, 20 pounds raw boneless
Some kind of chicken, 1 bone in piece per person or 1 pound boneless per 4= 18-20 pounds. The chicken marsala recipe on this site is very tasty...

Tossed salad, do 3/4 the amount for 100 on the plan for 100 page
Chips and dip, 1 pound chips per 10, 1 pint dip/ salsa/ queso per pound
Bruschetta, 2-3 pieces per person
pasta salad, 3-4 pounds dry pasta plus add-ins
cake. 1 full sheet or a 2 layer 1/2 sheet serves just 60, you could add a few dozen cupcakes in some artistic pattern

You can write back.

Now it's my turn to ask a favor of you.
EllensKitchen.com is remodeling and I want to provide the changes YOU (my readers) have been asking for. So after 18 years of supporting my readers as a hobby, I'm asking you for help!
If you're able to donate even just $5, please click on the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and keep us cooking for another year!
We're 15% of the way to our goal for the next three months.

Julee
06/10/16
Your information is fabulous.
I am helping a friend plan her daughters grad open house. Serving 125-150 from 4-8pm next Friday. I have looked at all of your lists, however need a bit of direction as her menu is a little different. She is doing buns and then deli meat trays (ham and turkey) and also a taco bar with pulled beef and pork. I am not sure if we would half your listed amounts for sandwiches and half for tacos or what. Here is where I am at so far...
Was thinking 16# sliced deli meat.
pickles, green and black olives
mayo, mustard, butter
144 dollar buns.
8# cheese slices.
20# shredded meat for tacos and I suppose some might put on buns.
She is using small corn tortillas...so maybe 160 of those?.
And how many ounces of Tortilla chips with salsa?
6# cheese shreds for tacos
6# shredded lettuce for tacos?
6# diced tomato
6 cups sour cream
10# guacamole
3qt. salsa
onions and cilantro
lime/cilantro rice
She is also serving fruit ...I was looking at the serve 100 list for fruit.
Veggies is only baby carrots/dip ...was thinking 8# and 10c. dip.
Cupcakes and Candy bar / lemonade /water/coffee
ellen
06/11/16
It's coming along, could use some tweaks.

If you do 20 pounds of taco meat, you have enough for about 80 people- this is more like 240-320 regular corn tortillas.
6# cheese shreds for tacos- 5 plenty
6# shredded lettuce for tacos? 5 unless you also expect folks to do salad from it?
6# diced tomato-plenty
6 cups sour cream- ok
10# guacamole- none left, might consider adding #10 of refried beans
3qt. salsa- OK
onions and cilantro- about 2 quarts chopped onions
lime/cilantro rice- for 100 start with 10 pounds dry rice

Don't forget mayo and mustard for the sandwiches, a gallon of assorted pickles? 1-2 quarts of sliced jalapenos?

For the chips, at least 6 pounds of potato or 8 pounds of corn, could do 1/2 and 1/2. 1 pint dip/salsa/queso per pound.

Now it's my turn to ask a favor of you.
EllensKitchen.com is remodeling and I want to provide the changes YOU (my readers) have been asking for. So after 18 years of supporting my readers as a hobby, I'm asking you for help!
If you're able to donate even just $5, please click on the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and keep us cooking for another year!
We're 15% of the way to our goal for the next three months.

Julee
06/11/16
Ellen...Thank you for your response.....could you just peek at this first part of my email real quick. There is the taco portion...and thank you for that information, however, she is doing deli sandwiches as well and I am just unsure about this part.

This would be in addition to the #20 taco meat and fixings. This is why I thought 20# taco meat was sufficient.

Was thinking 16# sliced deli meat.
pickles, green and black olives
mayo, mustard, butter
144 dollar buns.
8# cheese slices
8# baby carrots/dip

And...yes, favor granted. We have so appreciated your hard work and great information and want to support you!

ellen
06/13/16
Your sandwiches are plenty.
Barb
06/26/16
50 th wedding anniversary
We are having 100 people we are serving sloppy joes, hot dogs, mosticholli , cheesy potatoes , potatoe and macorni salad,green salad ,corn and beans rolls and cake can u tell me how much I need I also want to do the mosticholli in a large roaster pan
ellen
07/07/16
I am sorry I missed this at the first post, hope this helps.

sloppy joes, do 3/4 the recipe for 100 on this site
hot dogs, about 60: consider doing Polish sausage instead, tastier

mosticholli , 8-10 pounds dry pasta
cheesy potatoes , see recipe at the bottom of the breakfast planning page

potato salad, 25 pounds raw potatoes (because of the cheest potatoes, less than usual)
macaroni salad, 6 pounds dry pasta

green salad , use plan for 100 table
corn and beans, for fresh veg, 22 pounds each is served separately. If dry/baked beans, 3 gallons

rolls, 12 pounds per 100, 2-3 pounds butter

cake , full sheet serves 50-60, you may want 2 layers

Does this help? I am doing a fundraising campaign to remodel the kitchen and provide the changes you readers have asked for- please click the masthead at the top of this page to go to www.ellensbigpots.com and make a donation. (Especially if it is a paid gig!) Thank you.

Doug
06/30/17
Hi Ellen
Having a grad party and expect around 120 people, about 20 are kids.
Serving the following and would like estimates on the main dishes if you could. I put down what I planned on getting. Thanks!
Pierogies (192)
Polish Kielbasa (30 pounds)
Chicken (200pcs)
Mostaccioli (??)
fruit
salad
breadstix
various desserts
ellen
07/08/17
Pierogies (192)- OK
Polish Kielbasa (30 pounds)- plenty
Chicken (200pcs)-toomuch, 100 plenty
Mostaccioli (??), 12 pounds dry
fruit- use fruit tray page, 1 deluxe tray for 100 plenty
salad- use plan for 100 page, amount for 100
Consider adding slaw or a marinated veg/bean salad, 3 gallons
breadstix- 14 pounds
various desserts - use the dessert buffet page for a guide for amounts.

Congratulations.

gwen
02/09/18
Graduation party roughly 250 - 300 people. Menu as follows
Shredded beef
Pulled pork
potato salad
pasta salad
calico beans
sheet cake /cup cakes
carrrots /celery/ tomatoes / pickles tray

how much of each is needs?

ellen
02/09/18
Gwen, you probably noticed this is a DIY site, and you can look up he amounts for these items:
calico beans- plan for 100 page (do make at leas 1 pan meat free and label it)
sheet cake /cup cakes- desserts page
carrots /celery/ tomatoes / pickles tray- veggie tray page

Now the meats and starches are more tricky because of the 2 of each. Also, assuming self serve, people can get a little piggy with meat.

Shredded beef
Pulled pork
Usually, it goes about 60% beef, 40% pork, but this is somewhat regional.
1 pound ready to eat makes 8 sandwiches, which feeds 6 adults or 4 teen boys or 5 teen girls, so estimate your total need based on the type of crowd. THEN divide amounts into beef and pork, and estimate your amounts.
Do have one crockpot of meatless patties or sausages for any vegetarians, there will be some. You will have 4 serving lines or 3 double sided serving lines, put these and the meatless beans on the same table.
1 gallon sliced pickles and 8 pounds sliced onions per 100.

potato salad- 3 gallons (30 pounds potatoes) per 100
pasta salad- 6 pounds pasta per 100

You can see you have to firm up your numbers to get a good estimate. Also, allow for, 3--4 people in kitchen, 2-3 stoves, and 12-16 people out front to set up, serve, and clean up.

You can write back, would be happy to check your estimates. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support the site.

Theresa
05/04/18
I'm having a graduation party in June. We've mailed 102 invitations so ruffly 204 ppl, so I'm figuring 100 to 120. We are cooking ourselves. We're having Chicken, Sausage, meatballs, potato salad and rigatoni, we are also having water, coffee and 2 liters of pop. I'm just clueless to how much and if this sounds like a good menu? Please help me.
ellen
05/04/18
Theresa, unless this is the same day as a lot of other parties, if you sent 100+ invitations and expect 2 people per invite, the usual turnout is d80%, or 150-160 people. So, think about your estimate.

Menu is possible with concern noted below, and I would add at least slaw or green salad and fruit trays.

Please write back what kitchen you will be in, If this is a single house kitchen with one oven, this is too much cooked food. I can help you adapt the menu, but without a second oven, the rigatoni is not practical. Write back.

ellen
05/04/18
Theresa, is this a high school, college, or grad school graduation?

Amount of food depends on time of day, length of party and budget. Write back with more information, please.

Theresa
05/04/18
Hi Ellen,. Sorry this is all so new to me. It's a high school graduation party from 4-7. I have 4 boys and have an average income, so I need to keep the budget as low as possible. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Theresa
05/06/18
Ellen,

It is a high school graduation and the party is on a Friday.
This is a single house kitchen, I do have my mother in law to help, but she has to drive about 20 minutes to the location of the party. I was thinking fruit tray but people are telling me that's expensive.

Theresa
05/07/18
Ellen,

It is a high school graduation and the party is on a Friday from 4-7
This is a single house kitchen, I do have my mother in law to help, but she has to drive about 20 minutes to the location of the party. I was thinking fruit tray but people are telling me that's expensive.

ellen
05/08/18
Chicken, Sausage, meatballs, potato salad and rigatoni, we are also having water, coffee and 2 liters of pop.

OK, Theresa, here is my suggestion for a less costly, much easier to prep, meal. I assume 150-160 guests.

If you have never done this big a party, consider recruiting an experience church or cafeteria cook to help and oversee.

Set up, 2 or 3 8-12 foot serving lines or at least 1 double sided 16 foot serving line
-it takes several hours to set up
Separate beverage area
Separate dessert area
Staff 2-3 kitchen persons, 6 front helpers to set up, serve and clean up the party. That is besides you. Press all available helpers into service ahead of the party and schedule their time.
If someone is going to be grilling chicken at the time (not easy), a separate staff of 2 for the grill, one cook, one runner.

1- meats- too many. No more than 2. Chicken leg quarters are the best buy. 2 quarters per 3 people, cut some into 2 pieces; 18 people per 10 pound bag, yes, you are lookng at 80-90 pounds of chicken, can you see why you won't have any oven space?
Then either sausage or meatballs, but not both; make with sauce, onions and peppers- 3 quarts sauce per 10 pounds with 8-10 pounds mixed peppers and onions; 35 pounds, 1 inch pieces or smallish meatballs- think Subway size.

II would definitely add bread or rolls, about 16 pounds

potato salad and rigatoni
change to potato salad and pasta salad, both made ahead
potato salad, 5 gallons, about 50 pounds potatoes, lots of recipes this site
pasta salad 8, pounds pasta plus add ins, use your favorite meatless recipe

Add 4 gallons slaw or green salad
Add 4 gallons 6 to 7 #10 cans of good beans, or use one of my bean recipes, or 3 1/2 gallons bean salad
Both of these cut down on meat at low cost

All your beverages, paper products and ice are discussed on the beverage planning page

Fruit trays are CHEAP if you make it yourself, the boys could do it, it take 3 less-experienced people about 3 to 4 hours to do fruit for a party this size a day or two ahead. See the fruit tray page and doing a deluxe tray for 100 plus an extra watermelon or two (large) would be about right. PLan for refrigeration- do you have neighbors who would let you refrigerate for a day or two?

You can write back, would be happy to check your estimates. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support the site.

Jessica
05/14/18
I am having an open house style graduation party with roughly 100 people. My husband is telling me I am planning to much food. Our menu will be pasta salad, macaroni salad, pulled pork sandwiches, another smoked meat (brisket possibly), roasted baby potatoes, macaroni and cheese, Buffalo dip, sweet meatballs, and baked beans. How much should we plan? Can we cut down on the meats some since there will be 2 options?
Brian
05/15/18
We're planning a high school graduation party. Approximately 150 ppl. 4-7 on a Friday. We're having meatballs or sausage??, fried chicken from Kroger's, pasta salad, green beans and ham, either parsley potatoes or ??, Fruit salad and buns. We're uncertain of how much we need. Please help
Brian
05/15/18
Also rigatoni. And of course cake and cupcakes
ellen
05/16/18
Jessica, I would tweak a little and definitely add some veggies and fruit.

pasta salad,
macaroni salad,
macaroni and cheese
For 100 people, 8-10 pounds of pasta, however you want to divide it. Otherwise, too much.

roasted baby potatoes, 30-35 pounds

baked beans, 3 gallons= 4 #10 cans

pulled pork sandwiches,
another smoked meat (brisket possibly),
Brisket would be 20 pounds ready to serve, plus pork 20 pounds ready to serve
If you have brisket, more people will go for that! Chicken leg quarters would be the best buy. 50 quarters= about 40 pounds, cut two pieces after cooking.
12 slider buns per 5 persons, 3 quarts table sauce

sweet meatballs 10 pounds, 3 quarts sauce, you could skip this

Buffalo dip, 1 gallon, 6 pounds chips or 8 pounds corn chips

2 1/2 gallons slaw, 1 gallon pickles, 8 pounds thin-sliced onions

Consider fruit tray , see fruit tray page

You can write back, would be happy to check your estimates. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support the site, maybe a dime per guest. Thank you.

ellen
05/16/18
Graduation
Jessica, consider one crock pot of vegetarian unchicken nuggets or vegetarian sausages for any non-meat eaters, you will have some.
ellen
05/16/18
Graduation Party-150
Hi, Brian,

meatballs or sausage, 30 pounds plus equal weight onions and peppers
fried chicken from Kroger's, 1 piece per person
consider one crock pot of vegetarian unchicken nuggets or vegetarian sausages for the non-meat eaters

pasta salad, 9-10 pounds dry pasta plus add-ins- can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated

green beans and ham, 35 pounds green beans; consider non-meat recipe such as ellen's better green bean casserole, since you will have some non-pork and non-meat eaters

parsley potatoes, 30-40 pounds
rigatoni, 15 pounds dry pasta, 1 quart sauce per pound, 1/2 to 1 pound cheese per pound

Fruit salad, consider fruit trays instead, hold better, look prettier and leftovers are more usable. See the fruit tray page for trays and salads

buns-18-pounds, 4 pounds butter

cake and cupcakes, full sheet cuts 60

You can write back, would be happy to check your estimates. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support the site, maybe a dime per guest. Thank you.

Brian
05/18/18
Ellen,

Your were a huge help, I will definitely donate. But I have a couple more questions. Should we make parsley potatoes or do you think we should do a different potato or maybe potato salad. Will the green beans, rigatoni, meatballs and chicken be ok in a roaster.

Brian
05/18/18
Also, people are telling me we should have 3 meats? Is that necessary
ellen
05/18/18
Glad it helps. No, three meats are not necessary.

Potato salad would be quite a bit easier than parsley potatoes for you- can be done ahead, one less cooking/heating issue at party time.

Green beans, rigatoni, meatballs and chicken be ok in roasters? Yes, but BE CAREFUL! Each one requires a SEPARATE circuit, as does a large coffee urn, and some wiring does no have that.

Rigatoni, because you have the pasta salad, maybe do hashbrown casserole instead? No separate cooking of noodles, simple to prep, and VERY popular. Recipe at the bottom of the brunch page, or on my ellenskitchen.com FB page.

Good for you.

Brian
05/22/18
Hi Ellen,

It's me again, you said it was ok to have you check my estimates , here's what we have planned:
150-200 people
200 2 inch meatballs
200 pc of fried chicken
10lbs pasta salad
35lbs green beans
17lbs of silver dollar buns
15lbs rigatoni
15 quarts sauce
10lbs potato salad???
25 2 litters of pop
200 water bottles
coffee

What do you think, my mother seems to think we should do another potato...

ellen
05/25/18
Graduation Party- 200 people
Hi, Brian, I have a few suggestions and have added some clarifying notes.
150-200 people
200 2 inch meatballs- I would do20-25 pounds of cocktail size meatballs, as they make better sandwiches and you won't be likely to run out
200 pc of fried chicken - ok
10lbs pasta salad- this would be the dry weight, it make about 6 gallons when everything is added. Rigatoni, bowties, small shells or penne hold up best.
35lbs green beans- OK
17 lbs of silver dollar buns- allow 2 per person. Leftovers freeze well.

15 lbs rigatoni
15 quarts sauce
If not in casserole with cheese, have a few pounds of grated parm for the eaters

10lbs potato salad??? -at least 3 gallons per 100, which takes 30 pounds of potatoes per 100 people. Lots of good recipes for 100 on this site!

25 2 liters of - short! Per 100, Poured over ice
15 to 20 2 liter bottles
PLUS ice, 1 pound per person, double if hot, depending on length of party
PLUS 2 12-16 ounce cups per person
200 water bottles-OK

coffee- this is for 100, you might only need half this for about 50 adults
Dinner or reception coffee and tea
Regular coffee, 1 1/2 pounds (about 75 cups)
Decaffeinated 1/2 pound (may use 1 pound regular and 1 pound decaf with older guests)
Additional hot water about 30 servings (small urn)
PLUS Tea bags(herb, regular, decaf) for 30, 2 pounds sugar, 2 quarts cream or milk, sweeteners, honey
Church kitchens have these urns, alsothey are not too expensive to rent. It takes about an hour for an urn to make 50 cups of coffee

You are doing great. Hope this helps. Remember to check out your circuits and borrow refrigerator space! And take you mom out to brunch or buy her some flowers!

What do you think, my mother seems to think we should do another potato...

Chanda
04/19/23
Wedding reception
Wedding reception around 195 invited adults plus children. As of now 91 adults/17 kids have rsvp’d. our menu so far consists of mostaccioli, pulled pork, ceasar salad, rolls and a deli tray. I’m guessing we should estimate around 150 in attendance? Should I add sides such as potato salad, macaroni salad, corn, green beans, fruit tray?? How much if everything should I make?
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)