See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

buffet style wedding reception for 150 people
teresa
07/01/13
I'm doing all of the cooking for my daughter's wedding reception in late October. The menu has changed several times but the following are set in stone and I need to know if it will be enough and what can I add to it ?

36 pounds ground meat made into swedish meatballs using 3 doz eggs/breadcrumbs etc. This will be served in a brown gravy

15pounds dry weight pasta served in a chardonnay alfredo sauce

an antipasto salad made with various types olives, etc

fruit boats made with watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, seedless grapes with a pistachio dip

a 7 layer salad with mixed greens as a base

12-15 pounds cheese tray

various breads, rolls, buns

2 large spiral sliced hams

200 chicken strips with various dips

a very large veg tray with dips

sangria, sodas, bottled water, sweet tea.

ellen
07/01/13
You are coming along very well. I want to suggest some things that will help you have a more successful event.

The first one is, please do everything you can to make sure you spend the wedding day itself as mother of the bride, NOT kitchen manager. To do this service, any experienced caterer would have a manager, 3 people in the kitchen and at least 8-9 servers to set up, serve and clean up the party. Now is the time to press reliable friends into major volunteer roles, or even to hire some help; local churches, diners, college cafeterias and and culinary schools are all possible sources. $100 for 4 hours is pretty standard for experienced help. You need 2 serving lines, or at least one fully double-sided.

Have one person whose only job is rental pickup and returns, one whose only job is the cake, one whose only job is the ice and the beverage pick up.

I would divide the food into two parts, an appetizer set up and the main meal, and here is an excerpt on why.

Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits. With your menu, the fruit, veg tray or antipasto tray, and cheese could be moved (10 pounds crackers/bread), or possibly replace one of these with the meatballs.

One appetizer service area One serving area is needed for each 100 guests. You would do 2 areas.

2 large spiral sliced hams-70-75 pounds
200 chicken strips with various dips- OK
36 pounds ground meat made into swedish meatballs using 3 doz eggs/breadcrumbs etc. This will be served in a brown gravy. I suggest these go to the appetizer table with tooth picks.

15 pounds dry weight pasta served in a chardonnay alfredo sauce- OK; but if there are many kids, do some with plain marinara.

an antipasto salad made with various types olives, etc You have enough meat, use the antipasto veggies and cheese as discussed on this site. At least 3 gallons.

The only dish I would add is a veggie dish such as broccoli, a medley, or roasted veggies. The good thing about the roasted is, they can be made ahead and served room temp. about 30 pounds.

fruit boats made with watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, seedless grapes with a pistachio dip- use amounts from the fruit tray page that will give you 5-6 pieces per person. Move to appetizer area

a 7 layer salad with mixed greens as a base- lovely, see the layered salad on the salads that hold page for help with the amounts- you want about 6 bites per person

12-15 pounds cheese tray- OK. Some can be spreads or logs, move to appetizer area, 10 pounds crackers or bread bites

various breads, rolls, buns- about 20 pounds, 4 pounds butter These are for dinner

a very large veg tray with dips- up to 20 pounds veggies, 2 gallons dips

sangria, see the High Wire white wine sangria on this site for help with amounts. Don't use Franzia "chillable red"- not tasty.
sodas, do for 3/4 of 100, see beverage planning page
bottled water, 2 bottles per person
sweet tea, about 12 gallons, at least 3 not sweetened
Ice, about 1 pound per person if outside- at least 1/2 pound per person

People really like coffee with their dessert, see the dinner/reception coffee on the beverage planning age.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, consider donating a dime per person to support the site.

teresa
07/04/13
Thank-you for the reply ! I have some help lined up so I won't be tied up in the kitchen all day and can be mother of the bride !
Forgot to mention...have a cake being made to serve 200 people and do have coffee to go with the cake, etc.
My 7 layer salad includes peas, broccoli, cauliflower, green onions.....would something like a green bean casserole work as the other veg or maybe even just french style green beans ? If so, how much ? just don't want to overdo things like the broccoli, cauliflower, etc since they will also be on the veg tray .....if not green beans, maybe a corn dish ?
Thank-you !
ellen
07/04/13
Green beans would be perfect. Even steamed with sprinkle of almonds- or look at Ellen's better green bean casserole, on the Big Pots page, at the top section.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)