See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Italian Menu
Dianne
01/10/14
Hi Ellen, Making food for a wedding and 50 people are coming.All adults no children. They want:
Lasagna
chicken parmesan
with spaghetti
salad- 6 heads lettuce
dressing-2 qts
fruit cup-6qt
appetizers: spinach dip, buffalo chicken dip and chips & pretzels
soda
I'm just not sure how much lasagna & chicken I should prepare. Please help. Thanks
Dianne
01/10/14
forgot to tell you they will eat at 5pm
ellen
01/10/14
I would make lasagna for 50 (see the spaghetti page for amounts) and 1 piece of chicken per person- only about 3 pounds of loose spaghetti.

I would make at least 1 pan of the lasagna vegetarian, in case you have any non-meat persons, unless you are certain you don't.

The dips, 1/3 - 1/4 cup each per person. 4 pounds chips. 2 pounds pretzels.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Beverage page has soda info.

Nina
04/02/14
Italian Menu - Party for 40-50 people
Hi I need help with planning lunch party for 40-50 people.
For appetizers
cheese/cracker tray
crudite platter or chip and dip - pls suggest

For lunch
Tossed salad/ceaser salad
Roasted potatoes & veggies
pasta primavera or lasagna??
chicken dish

for dessert
cupcakes
fruit platter

I am not sure how with the quantities and if the menu looks good enough for a 1:30pm lunch menu.PLease help. thanks.

ellen
04/02/14
Hi, since you indicate an Italian inclination, I would like to suggest a few tweaks. I am going to assume 50 people.

cheese/cracker tray
about 5 pounds cheeses, some could be spreads or logs.
3 pounds crackers
crudite platter or chip and dip - pls suggest
how about caprese style relish tray with cherry tomatoes, small chunks or balls fresh mozzarella, black and green olives, garnish of fresh basil with a balsamic reduction? Or you could do this as the salad, see this great article:
thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/caprese-salad/
OR here:
bellabumsandbellies.com/2013/09/13/cucumber-caprese-relish/

For lunch
Tossed salad/Caesar salad- use 1/2 the amount on the plan for 100 page
pasta primavera or lasagna??- for lasagna, use the lasagna calculator on the spaghetti page. For primavera, about 6 pounds dry pasta
chicken dish- The chicken Marsala on this site is delicious and you would do 1/2 the amount for 100
Add small crusty rolls- 2 per person, and 1 1/2 pounds butter

for dessert
cupcakes- 1 per person
fruit platter- about 6 bites per person, see the fruit tray page on amounts of bites per fruit and make your own selection. Some dried figs, dates and apricots would be in keeping with your theme.

add dinner level coffee, beverage planning page
tea, wine, other beverages are also discussed on the beverage planning page.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Nina
04/11/14
I am having second thoughts about my italian menu for 50. Please give me suggestions for this menu idea.
Appetizer,desserts and beverages(same as previous post above)
Lunch buffet
Chicken dish
Pork roast
Shrimp scampi(Is this a good idea??)
Pasta primavera(Do you suggest some other pasta sauce like Alfredo)
Roast potatoes and veggies
crusty rolls
Thank you for your help.
Nina
04/11/14
I am having second thoughts about my italian menu for 50. Please give me suggestions for this menu idea and how much quantities per person will I need.
Appetizer,desserts and beverages(same as previous post above)
Lunch buffet
Chicken dish
Pork roast
Shrimp scampi(Is this a good idea??)
Pasta primavera(Do you suggest some other pasta sauce like Alfredo)
Roast potatoes and veggies
crusty rolls
Thank you for your help.
ellen
04/12/14
Nina, scampi does not hold well.

If you are moving away from Italian, do just one starch- potatoes or rice. Pasta is by far the hardest to hold successfully. A rice pilaf would be lovely with this menu.

Nina
04/13/14
If i am making the menu with two types of meats how much quantity per person will I need?
ellen
04/14/14
I would do 1 pound raw boneless chicken per plus 2 pounds raw boneless pork per 5 for most groups, assuming not stews.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)