See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Ellen I need your help am not a professional
Leticia Jasso
01/21/14
I am not a professional caterer but love to cook and have been doing a side job for a tax company for a while. I am always torn as to how many pounds of Boneless chicken leg meat do I buy to grill this for about 17 people the sides will be grilled corn and a salad and a fruit bowl?

Thanks in advance

ellen
01/21/14
About 8 pounds- thigh meat is nicer. Be sure to have some good crusty rolls- about 2 dozen- and some butter.
Leticia Jasso
01/22/14
Oh thank you so much Ellen I will get those rolls as you say. I also do love the thighs but the leg meat was on sale and I have a strict budget that they have allotted me so I marinate them quite nicely and we cook them right up to the moment of doneness we really baby sit the chicken.
Have a wonderful day
Leticia Jasso
01/22/14
Ellen I will also be cooking some 7 bone roast I know this doesn't yeild as much as the chuck but I prefer the flavor to this can you please let me know how many pounds RAW again for about 17 people?

I will have mashed potatoes and a garden salad and some fresh fruit salad with a ginger syrup and probably some slices of french bread?

Thanks again this is an awesome site.

ellen
01/22/14
This is a delicious cut. If you serve the meat, you can serve 2 per bone in pound, but if it is self serve, you will only serve 3 per each 2 pounds bone in.
You can stretch it by adding a good hot vegetable, such as a corn side dish or a broccoli mix or casserole.
Leticia Jasso
01/24/14
Thanks again Ellen boy this is really a life saver.

Bless your heart.

Leticia

Leticia
01/27/14
Hiya Ellen,
A quick question I dont know if you have the answer or its proper to ask this here but if my food costs are $75for Chicken, a salad, a veggie or starch and cut up fruit and I am cooking for 17 people and charging $100 for my time and delivery does $175.00 sound like a good number to charge for a very part time catering job its seasonal?

Thanks in advance
Leticia

ellen
01/27/14
No pro caterer would do a job with a $75 food cost for less than $225, and many would charge $350.
Leticia
01/28/14
Ellen how many pounds of prime rib per person
Raw?
Sides would be mashed potatoes.
A roll
A salad
Cut up fruit

Then how many pounds if I decide to make sandwiches on a Sara Lee roll?
For 17 people.
Includes a macaroni pasta salad
And cut up fruit.

Thanks so much as I make a bit more I will be
Happy to donate more.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)