See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Wedding reception for 150
Jennifer
07/22/14
Hello... We are planning a backyard BBQ for our wedding that was a private ceremony on July 11th. This is my first time ever cooking for this many so I would like some idea of how much to make so I don't run out or have too much.

Menu is: fried chicken I'm buying, pulled pork, Swedish meatballs, Cole slaw, potato salad, spaghetti salad, tuna, baked beans, a relish tray, veggie tray, and watermelon. We will be providing ice tea, punch, lemonade, and water bottles.

Problem is I have no clue of how much to make of each. Can you help please. Thank you!!!

ellen
07/23/14
What a sensible way to have your party! You do need help- maybe 2 more in the kitchen and 3-4 out front to set up, serve, and clean up, or you will be too busy and too tired to enjoy your own party.

fried chicken I'm buying, 1 piece per person
pulled pork, 20 pounds, 100 buns or 240 slider buns
Swedish meatballs, 30 pounds, 3 quarts sauce per 10 pounds
tuna salad, about 2 gallons- there is a very large can of tuna available at wholesale restaurant places, you need 2

Cole slaw, 4 gallons, see my article to make ahead
potato salad, 50 pounds potatoes
spaghetti salad, 8 pounds dry pasta

a relish tray, do 2 of the classic relish trays on the veggie tray page
veggie tray, OK but a fruit tray would be an excellent substitute, see either the fruit tray page or the veggie tray page. Amounts and preps.

baked beans, 12 pounds dry (2 roasters)or 5-6 #10 cans
watermelon, 1/2 pound whole per person, plus ice and ice chests.

ice tea, about 9 gallons, 1/3 unsweetened
punch,
lemonade,
About 10 gallons all together; frozen lemonade is much better than powder; you estimate the flavor split, or just do one
water bottles, 2 per person, you might buy where you can return unopened.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)