See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Hot Chocolate & Apple Cider Bar for 200
Erika
11/03/14
We're having an event where we'd like to serve hot cocoa & cider to approx 200 people (mix of adults & kids) but we cannot prepare any food ourselves so our only option is hot water & ready-to-serve packets.
What amounts do you suggest we purchase?…1 packet/person or more? What amount for marshmallows & Reddi Whip?

Thanks in advance!

ellen
11/03/14
Erika, how are you going to heat the water and serve? What is the event, and how long, and is anything else being served? Are you going to have coffee? More info, please.
Erika
11/03/14
We were planning on using those large commercial coffee urns to heat water. How many would you suggest?

The event is a Family Day gathering in December for Army soldiers & their families held from 8am-1pm. Looking to serve in the morning portion before lunch--in place of a coffee service. There will be food (pizza & dessert) & beverage (water & lemonade) served with lunch around 1130.

We are trying to keep things simple & budget friendly but add a nice holiday touch. Hope this info helps you help me!

ellen
11/03/14
OK. Mixing powdered stuff for those large crowds is basically slow and messy.

The urns can easily dispense hot cider and hot chocolate already made, as long as you give them a good cleaning before and after. There are commercial cleaning powders available for this.

The commercial urns come in "50 cup" (about 9 quarts, a bit over 2 1/3 gallons, or about 25 real cups) and 100 cup (about 19 quarts, shy of 5 gallons). I can give you recipes for the cocoa mix.

For 8A-12P, you really need to have coffee for the grownups. Is that not possible? It would affect the amounts of the other beverages. Write back.

Erika
11/03/14
Thanks for the reply. I can see that the mixes could definitely slow things down and become tedious now that you mention it. That's a lot of people to accommodate. We just aren't allowed to prepare food (no bake sales, etc) so I'm concerned about making a cocoa mix. Please send the recipe mix anyway and I will look into our regulations further.

I think the urns we have are 100 cup. We have access to only 2 unless we purchase more.

Coffee is a mixed bag here (Utah)…lots of folks don't drink it due to religious beliefs. BUT if we should offer one hot beverage, would you say coffee is the best bet?

ellen
11/03/14
Utah is different, but LDS is not too common in Army families, so I guess it would depend on how many locals versus guests.

Are you familiar with the "coffee cambro"? This is a plastic thermal container that serves 6 or 10 gallons and will stay hot up to 6 hours if preheated with hot water before being filled with hot liquid. Rental companies that do weddings often have them for rent. Here is a picture of one:

aztecrental.com/shop/coffee-cambro-10-gal/

But a well kept secret is that the 5 gallons round water cooler (you have seen them, they are usually red or orange, sometimes blue) will also keep hot beverages hot if preheated thoroughly with hot water and filled with hot liquid. Your members may have some of these.

You could do 1 5 gallon full of cider and 1-2 of hot chocolate/cocoa (depends on how many are kids/young adults/LDS), do one full urn of coffee and have a 12 cup drip for decaf. That would be plenty for the AM break.

The cocoa mix that I make for our Sunday mornings is a 10 quart box of Carnation dry milk, 3/4 of an 80 serving can of Nestle's quick, 1 1/2 cup of Hersheys Dutch cocoa powder (straight chocolate, not a mix), about 3/4 cup ground cinnamon and 1/2 cup ground ginger. It is very popular... about 1/4 cup scoop in a 10 ounce cup, or double it to make 5 gallons; I would stir in a couple quarts of half and half for smoothness and richness if premaking.

Always keep in mind it takes up to 20 minutes to heat a gallon of tap water and almost 1 minute per cup to perc the large urns.

Now about the whip cream and marshmallows. A can makes 20-24 generous spurts for tops. A standard 10.5 ounce size bag of marshmallows has about 35. So for each 5 gallons, about 3 can whip cream and 3 bags marshmallows, figuring to have some left. Crushed peppermint candies make an attractive holiday cocoa sprinkle.

Will that help? Merry christmas!

Erika
11/03/14
THANK YOU for your helpful tips and info! We do have a couple of those 5 gal water coolers. Never thought or knew you could use them for hot beverages!

For your cocoa recipe…just so I'm reading it correctly…do you double the amounts listed to make one 5 gallon cooler? Just add the mix and fill with hot water to 5 gallons? Sorry, but I just want to be sure ratios are correct!

Thanks again!

ellen
11/05/14
yes, but put the water in first (about 4 gallons) and stir stir stir.
holly white
10/20/15
Hot/ Cold Cider and donuts for 200 adults
Just wondering how much to buy ? and how to figure this out? thanks for your input....
ellen
10/20/15
What time of day and how long will it last? Will coffee be available? Write back.
Jane
12/15/16
I have 5 gallon Cambrio type dispenser.

Can you clarify the amounts for hot cocoa?
it seems like you say to double:
10 quart box of Carnation dry milk
3/4 of an 80 serving can of Nestle's quick
1 1/2 cup of Hersheys Dutch cocoa powder
3/4 cup ground cinnamon
1/2 cup ground ginger
1/4 cup scoop in a 10 ounce cup - scoop of what?

Jane
12/15/16
I'm also thinking it may be easier to dissolve everything in a smaller container with just some water (make it a "concentrate" so to speak) and then add that to the water that's already in the cambrio. Still a 5 gallon container etc. but I feel it would be easier to mix with less water
ellen
12/20/16
1/4 cup scoop of the mix for each 10 ounce serving. Yes the concentrate is sensible- usually there is hot water and people have to mix their own cups.
Stella
03/08/17
VMicvYersQ
Just what the doctor ordreed, thankity you!
Marie
08/02/17
Hi Ellen, I'm wondering if you could help me in calculating how much hot apple cider to serve at an outdoor concert. The concert is from 5-8pm. Mostly adults but some kids as well. We are excepting about 1000 in attendance. We will also be serving root beer...we'll have 5, 5 gallon kegs of root beer. We will also be serving hot dogs, popcorn, and bottled water. If you could advise the amount of hot apple cider to serve, I would appreciate it! Thank you!
ellen
08/03/17
Yikes, this depends on so much, price or free, even the weather! 25 gallons of root beer is 400 servings or so, over ice in a 12 ounce cup. In cool weather, hot cider for 600 is about 38 gallons; but if you have coffee, it will go down.
Marie
08/03/17
It is a free event, everything is free. We are estimating 1000 in attendance. Weather on average for the day of the event is a high of 52-63. Since it is an evening event (5-8:30) it will be on the chilly side when the sun goes down.

We will have an area with tables and power set up for serving refreshments. I'm thinking of using percolators to make the hot cider, and then refill as they get low.

Food/refreshments are light, just popcorn and hot dogs. We'll have 1000 bottles of water. No coffee. For the root beer I was figuring on having enough for 500 (I'm sure not everyone will drink it). Do you think planning to serve 500 for the hot cider makes sense as well in our situation? Thanks for your help!

Marie
08/03/17
Also, do you have a cider recipe to recommend? I saw something on line that looked simple...

In the top of the percolator, put a handful of cloves, a little allspice, 2-3 cinnamon sticks, and some orange peels. Then pour the jug of cider through. Do you think this would be good?

Christine
11/14/17
Hello! we are doing our annual Tree lighting service for the Lions club this year... aprox 100+ people so I am wanting to do x1 100 cup urn of hot coco...there will be other beverages also ... how much hot coco mix should be used for this amount?
Cyndi
11/15/17
Ellen, we are having a wedding reception Dec 9. After dinner we're having a smores station and hot chocolate with toppings as well as hot cider. How many gallons of hot chocolate and how many of cider would you suggest? Guest count is 180. Coffee will also be available.
ellen
11/20/17
Christine, the standard 100 cup urn holds 500-600 ounces, or 4-5 gallons, which is a small cup per person for 100 people, f you want to use a 10 ounce cup, you would nearly double that for 100.

The cocoa mix that I make for our Sunday mornings is a 10 quart box of Carnation dry milk, 3/4 of an 80 serving can of Nestle's quick, 1 1/2 cup of Hersheys Dutch cocoa powder (straight chocolate, not a mix), about 3/4 cup ground cinnamon and 1/2 cup ground ginger. It is very popular... about 1/4 cup scoop in a 10 ounce cup, or double it to make 5 gallons; I would stir in a couple quarts of half and half for smoothness and richness if premaking.

Always keep in mind it takes up to 20 minutes to heat a gallon of tap water and almost 1 minute per cup to perc the large urns.

Now about the whip cream and marshmallows. A can makes 20-24 generous spurts for tops. A standard 10.5 ounce size bag of marshmallows has about 35. So for each 5 gallons, about 3 can whip cream or 3 bags marshmallows, figuring to have some left. Crushed peppermint candies make an attractive holiday cocoa sprinkle.

For the cocoa mix it is easier to dissolve everything in a smaller container with just some water (make it a "concentrate" so to speak) and then add that to the hot water.

ellen
11/20/17
Cyndi, this is a very tough estimate because it depends on the grown up ratio, as more grown ups tend to drink cider, while teens and younger do cocoa.

The recipe just above would make 5 gallons of cocoa, serves about 70. 6+ gallons of cider per 100. So I suggest you guesstimate based on the mix of your guests, which you know and I don't. With he coffee, the split above might be just right.

stacey
11/20/17
hi I am in charge of a hot chocolate bar for 200 women at a christmas party. I do not have an industrial kitchen. How would you recommend heating enough water to make the hot chocolate? I guess I will need at least 10 gallons?

Thanks

ellen
11/21/17
Get/ borrow 2 or 3 50 cup coffee makers. As soon as the first one is empty, start again- they take almost an hour to perk/ heat the water. Also, Consider plugging in on different circuits (usually means in different rooms), to avoid blowing circuits.
stacey
11/24/17
can you premake the hot chocolate because everyone will be served at one time? or do you have to make each cup individually
amy
12/19/17
This is fantastic! I'm trying to organize bringing hot chocolate and cookies to a "feeding the homeless" Christmas event this weekend. This seems like a reasonable recipe for filling 2 - 5 gallon containers. I have one question: I searched for a 10 quart container of Carnation dry milk and I come up empty. It seems like a lot of dry milk if I buy the 9.6 oz containers. Is it supposed to be the dry milk that MAKES 10 quarts? Do you have a lead on where I can get a 10 quart box?
??
05/11/19
https://ww.bagtojapan.com/clocks/rolex/index.html
?????? - n??????? ???????
?? ??
1.??
2.??
3.??
4.??
??
???????(????)! ??!
??
????????!
???: 365???????
Rosa
09/24/19
Having a pie and coffee, cider for 100ppl for4hrs.it is a celebration for a breast cancer survivor. Mostly adults. How much cider and coffee should we prepare TIA, Rosa
ellen
09/24/19
What a grand event to be able to celebrate! People typically consume about 16 ounces made coffee over that time.

Here are notes from the beverage planning page:
Dinner or reception coffee and tea
Regular coffee, 1 1/2 pounds (about 75 standard cups)
Decaffeinated 1/2 pound (may use 1 pound regular and 1 pound decaf with older guests)
Additional hot water about 30 servings
PLUS Tea bags(herb, regular, decaf) for 30, 2 pounds sugar, 2 quarts cream or milk, sweeteners, honey

Party Coffee Allow 1 pint of made coffee (3 standard cups or 16 ounces) per person for a three hour party

For the cider, with coffee, about 4 gallons, depends partly on whether hot/mulled or chilled. In Texas we are still in 95+ weather.

One of the big glass carafes with water or iced tea and sliced citrus and ice would be a great addition.

One caution, coffee makers can blow circuits. If you are uncertain of the electric circuits at the party space, plug them into an extension with a circuit breaker reset, so you don't have to go find the fuse box.

You can write back. If I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please consider a small donation to support the site. Thank you.

??
10/21/19
https://ww.ginzaok.com/watch/prodetail_id_1129.htm
????!????!
hemrmes??!
??
????????
??
??:
??
??
??
??
??
?? ??
10/22/19
https://ww.gooshop001.com/product/detail/12205.htm
??
??
??
Olive
01/05/20
Hot Chocolate & Apple Cider Bar for 80
Having a DIY hot chocolate bar and its the toppings I'm
Not sure how much to buy.
Crushed peppermint
Chocolate Chips
Marshmallows
Chocolate sauce and Caramel Sauce

Any other suggestions?

For a wedding

ellen
01/12/20
Interesting idea, Olive

Definitely add whipped cream- if ready-whip, wrap the cans in festive papers. Small can serves about 10.

Consider chocolate sprinkles instead of chips- they float better.

For the cider, whole cinnamon sticks.

Expect 2 servings per person, and about 1 tablespoon of flavor add-ins per serving. Marshmallows and whip cream for all he chocolates.

You can write back.

Bekah
09/22/20
My daughter is getting married in Dec and we are trying to figure out how much spiked wassail for around 180 of our guests (drinking age)
But we will also be serving coffee, hot chocolate and a non alcoholic punch for a total of 250 guests.
How do I figure this??
ellen
09/22/20
Bekah, can you tell me what is in your wassail and how spiked?
Sam
02/11/21
Hot Chocolate & coffee Bar for 250
Ellen how would you figue up: Dec wedding in TN. hot chocolate and coffee bar. 4-8pm
Lindsay
10/19/21
Hi! I'm so happy I found this forum!
We are having a hot cocoa bar for a wedding reception 250 guests. I have some questions...

I've read above that I should premix the hot chocolate for speed and less mess. What would be a good way to serve that also looks nice...no orange 5 gallon containers.
What size cups should I purchase? Do we need the sleeves, coffee stirrers or straws?
We will have some flavored syrups, how many pumps is recommended for a standard cup? We will be having a couple people serving the cocoa to keep things moving.
I saw your recipe for hot chocolate above. Is it more economical to make that or just buy premade hot chocolate mix? Yours probably tastes better :)
Thank you for your help!

?? ?? ?? ??
10/21/21
https://ww.kusuridonya.com/ems/ems-p-4.html
??
??
??
??
??
?? ??
Nina Lowe
12/08/22
Hi Ellen,

Thanks for all of this info. One question, we are having a hot chocolate/cookie event for 500. I see your recipe above. How many cups of hot chocolate does that make? I see that you use a 1/4 cup scoop in 10-ounce cups, but I didn't see the total number of cups that will serve.
Thank you,
Nina Lowe

Tim Netwon
10/03/23
Hey kats and kittens,

Anybody here know how a dual series circuit work?

Asking for a friend.

Thanks, Tim

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)