See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Frozen Green Beans in Electric Roaster
Cathleen
12/21/14
Hi - I have sixteen 5 pound bags of frozen green beans that I am cooking in electric roasters (lunch for 300). I would like to not add water to the roasters (there will be ice crystals on the beans), just add butter and turn them in the butter, let them sizzle and brown. But I have no experience with cooking in an electric roaster....will my method work? What temp would you cook them (400?). Should I cook them with a lid until they defrost and then add the butter and take the lid off and just toss them? I am thinking 2-3 bags of beans per roaster.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

ellen
12/21/14
Too many green beans! For 300, 70-75 pounds will do.

The Nesco roaster has side heat, not good for sauteing. The Hamilton Beach and Rival have bottom heat, better for that part, not as good for the casserole/holding part. You will have to adapt your cooking to the particular roaster.

Also CAUTION; 2 roasters on 1 15 amp circuit will blow the circuit and even if you do just 75 pounds, you are looking at 6 roasters! Check you venue in advance; most cannot handle this electrical load.

You can't saute that many frozen beans in a pan that size; it won't stay hot enough. Visualize the size pan you would need to do just one 5 pound bag on the stove, and you will get the picture.

This recipe for frozen baked green beans works, but see how 1 pound of green beans takes a 1 1/2 quart casserole? And it gives a well cooked bean, not the lightly cooked bean I think you are aiming for.

16 ounces frozen French-style green beans, thawed
1 teaspoon bouillon granules (1 cube)
1 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Pinch pepper
1 tablespoon butter

Put the beans in an ungreased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Dissolve the bouillon in the hot water then add the garlic salt and pepper. Stir in the butter and pour this over the green beans; stir well. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

So you have some serious thinking to do about this idea.

You might consider to roasted vegetables made ahead and served room temp, Italian syle, for this large a group. They do make a prettier plate, as well!

If this has saved you time, trouble, or money, please lake a donation, maybe a nickel per guest, to support this site. Thank you.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)