See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

filling for 300 spring rolls
Jakes
03/02/15
Please let me know how much filling I need to prepare 300 spring rolls
ellen
03/03/15
Did you indicate not meat? I am assuming you mean the crisp fried Chinese one, not the soft Vietnamese style?
I have increased from 15 for you.

1 1/4 cups toasted sesame oil
14 tablespoons ginger - fresh minced
7 pounds pork - ground ground chicken or turkey or shredded sautes tofu is fine
20 small onions shredded
5 pounds carrot (~30 large carrot) shredded
3 pounds celery (~ 30 rib) shredded
3 pounds fresh shiitake mushrooms (70-80 large ones)
5 pounds napa cabbage shredded
3 pounds glass noodles rehydrated and chopped into 1 inch pieces
(bean sprouts are optional- between 3-6 pounds)

Sauce for filling
2 1/2 cups oyster sauce
2 1/2 cups Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry works too
14 tablespoons potato starch halve if using cornstarch
14 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons white pepper - ground
1/2 tablespoon salt

Wrappers and glue
300 sheets spring roll wrappers
4 cups water
4 cups flour

vegetable oil for deep-frying

Sweet and sour sauce

7 cups water
5 cups rice wine vinegar
4 cups sugar - granulated
3 cups ketchup
14 tablespoons potato starch; halve if using cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons salt

Prepare filling
Combine the oyster sauce, Shaoxing, potato starch, soy sauce, white pepper and salt in a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the sesame oil and ginger and fry until fragrant. Add the ground meat/shredded tofu and stir-fry, using the edge of a spatula to break up the meat into little crumbs or separate the tofu strands.
When the meat/tofu is cooked, add the onion, carrot, celery, and shiitake mushrooms and continue stir-frying until the carrots are mostly cooked. Add the napa cabbage and glass noodles and continue stir-frying until the cabbage is mostly cooked. Add the sauce and stir-fry until there is no liquid left. Let this mixture cool.

Assembling rolls
Make some glue by combing 3 tablespoons flour with 3 tablespoons water.
Peel the wrappers and arrange with 1/2 inch overlap. This makes it easy to paint glue on several wrappers at once. Spread the glue with a pastry bush along the top edges of the wrapper.
Place about 1/3 cup of the room temperature filling about 2 inches above the bottom corner of the wrapper.
Tightly roll the wrapper and filling half-way.
Fold the left edge over right up against the edge of the filling, then fold the right edge over. The trick here is to taper your fold slightly so that the open flap is a little narrower than the bottom of the roll as this will create a good seal and prevent flaps of dough that will invite oil into your roll. It should look a bit like an open envelope at this point. Fold the edges of the spring roll over
Finish by continuing to roll until the flap seals itself against the roll.

Sweet and sour dipping sauce
To make the sweet and sour sauce, whisk together the water, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, potato starch and salt in a small saucepan until there are no lumps. Bring the mixture to a boil stirring constantly until your sauce has thickened.

Frying directions
Prepare a paper towel lined rack. Pour about 2" of vegetable oil into a heavy bottomed pot and heat to 320 degrees F.
Fry the springrolls a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Turn them over frequently so that they brown evenly. When they reach an even tan color, transfer the spring rolls to your rack and allow them to drain. Repeat with the rest of the spring rolls.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel per guest, to support this site.

Jakes
03/05/15
Thank you very much. This is very helpful to me.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)