See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Cooking for a party
Chan
03/27/15
Hi. I'm cooking for 130 people. the Menu is Mac and Cheese, Shrimp Civeche, meat balls, yellow rice, green beans and rolls. I'm guessing 10 lbs rice is sufficient. Is it? Also, I'd like to know how many boxes of pasta and lbs of cheese would i need for the Mac; how many lbs of shrimp would i need for the Civeche; and precisely how much lbs of ground beef would i need for the meatballs? Also any ideas for the best way to transport these items for about a 30 minuet drive?
ellen
03/28/15
This is an unusual combination of dishes.

Mac and Cheese, 1 pound pasta per 10, 1 quart sauce and 1/2 to 1 pound cheese per pound of pasta
yellow rice, 10 pounds, probably some left

meat balls, 25 pounds per 100, so 33-34 pounds

green beans, 22 pounds per 100
rolls, 2 per person, 3 pounds butter per 100

Shrimp Ceviche, the critical issue here is food safety; you MUST keep the dish at 40 degrees or colder for its entire prep, transport and service. 1 pound size 41-50 shrimp makes 5 modest servings, 2 pounds requires about 4 cups of citrus juice and 2 cups of salsa. If served in individual cups, bed them in ice for service.

Use ice chests; pre chill at least 2 hours, or preheat as discussed on the potato bar page.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)