See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

wedding for 300
Dianne
07/16/15
Hi Ellen-The Bride wants both Turkey & Ham and I'm confused on how much of each to make for 300.
I bought 7 turkeys totaling 153 lbs.
75lbs of boneless ham? or bone-in hams how much?
Her sides are:
mashed potatoes
filling/gravy
baked corn
toss salad
Thank you for any help you can give me. This wedding is in 2 weeks
ellen
07/17/15
Dianne, a party this size requires about 4-5 people in the kitchen, add 2 more if the turkey has not been cooked and sliced ahead, plus 18-20 out front to set up serve and clean up a buffet party this size. It also requires at least 4 serving lines, 6 or 3 double sided is better, to serve everyone in under an hour. You want to put the bread and possible the salad on the tables so people will have something to eat while they wait for their turn in line. Also pitchers with the beverages either on the table or separate beverage serving srea, and desserts in a separate serving area.

you need the guide to big ham and turkey dinners at the top of the Big Pots page. You also need some specific additions, here goes.

Strong recommend an appetizer plan, here is why:

A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

One appetizer service area easily serves 100 guests.

People also really like some coffee with their desserts- consider adding dinner/reception level coffee as outlined on the beverage page.

turkey and ham, I usually allo1 3.4 pound whole raw turkey PLUS 1 pound boneless ham per 6 for this menu. 1 pound cranberry per 6-8. 1 cup raisin or pineapple sauce per 8.

mashed potatoes
filling/gravy, is this stuffing?
See the planning and shopping list for the large turkey dinner for help with this

baked corn
Consider adding a second green veg, such as ellens better green bean casserole or a broccoli casserole. it will cut down on the meat; each veg about 20 pounds (2 1/2 to 3 gallons) per 100 if 2 or 25-28 if only one. Also gives the non-meat eater some better choices

toss salad, see the plan for 100 table. Seriously consider serving on plates at tables as discussed above.

Add good rolls, 14 pounds per 100, 3 pounds butter per 100, on the tables

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)