See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Lamb Kebabs
Kylie
01/05/16
Hello Ellen,

I'm making lamb kebabs as an appetizer for 120 people. I was thinking about using shoulder at around $9.00 a pound it seemed to be the most affordable. I am also adding one cherry tomato and one slice of red onion to each skewer. How many red onions do you suggest that I purchase to complete 240 kebabs. I also figured about 15 lbs of lamb shoulder would be sufficient to complete 240 kebabs if each one just has one cube of meat. I would truly appreciate your knowledge and feedback.

Thank you so much,

Kylie

ellen
01/05/16
Shoulder is fine, cube it ahead and marinate in fridge overnight in herbs and olive oil before assembly. You should have plenty, even counting the bones.

If you are using a grape or cherry tomato, how about a pearl onion. Thaw the frozen ones, or put them in with the cubes in the fridge the day before. Suggest you make some with a chunk of small zucchini for your non-lamb eaters.

The red onions are very hard to estimate, as a large one makes about 3 times the pieces of a small one. I usually estimate about 1 small onion per pound.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Kylie
01/05/16
Thank you so much for your help Ellen. I truly appreciate it!
mary busse
01/31/16
Lamb chicken Kebabs
how many vegtables for 250 people for kababs. cooking lamb and chicken on separate kababs.
Thanks
Mary
ellen
01/31/16
You would do well with about 5 ounces ready to skewer vegetables per person, approximately equal total weights of meat and vegetables. Do parboil any potato or pearl onion.

Here is a helpful off-site kebab guide:

www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-to-make-great-grilled-kebabs.html

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)