See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

pre cooked pulled pork
andrea
04/11/16
you are a great source of help! I am serving pulled pork sliders for 150 wedding guest. also on the menu is coleslaw, corn bread, beans and fruit platter. Could you guide me on how many # of meat to purchase, I calculated from your previous comments about 5 oz per person which came to about 50# of meat. Please correct me if wrong. Also how much coleslaw, how many slider buns would you recommend? thank you so much!
ellen
04/11/16
1 pound of pulled pork ready to serve makes 5 standard fat sandwiches or 10-12 sliders. I allow 2 sliders per female or child and 3 per male or teen guest. 50 pounds of raw boneless pork will be plenty when shredded and sauced; shoulder makes better pulled pork than loin.

A caution; it would be thoughtful to provide a crock pot of vegetarian sausages, patties or other non-meat filler for non-pork eaters.

Allow at least 4 gallons of cole slaw,6-7 #10 cans of beans (make some meatless for any non-pork eaters, there will be some).

An appetizer plan is critical at wedding receptions and here is why:

A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

One appetizer area serves about 100 people. 2 would be fine here.

Does this help? I am doing a fundraising campaign to remodel the kitchen and provide the changes you readers have asked for- please click the masthead at the top of this page to go to www.ellensbigpots.com and make a donation. Thank you.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)