See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

cleaning ceramic cooktop
judy h.
03/24/06
What happens if you use Windex or an all-purpose cleaner on a ceramic stovetop?
Dawn
03/24/06
I have a black spot on my ceramic cooktop, do you know how to get it off and back to it's original color of black with white specks ? Thanks Dawn
ellen
03/26/06
Judy, You can try any non-abrasive cleaner, but MUST get it all off before turning the burner on again, to avoid further staining.

Dawn, Try Maas silver polish. Just get it off before heating again.

Collette Gilmore
06/14/06
When we were on vacation my son did not clean up a spill on the ceramic cooktop, and continue to use the element. Two weeks later when we returned, I did everything to clean it off (used Ceram bryte). I am left with a very shiny, very smooth black ring on the element. I don't know whether I scrubbed off the little white specks (black background, white specks) or what. I don't like the look of this at all. I took such good care of my cooktop, and now it looks like I neglected it! I would appreciate your input. Thank you. Collette Gilmore
ellen
06/15/06
Big dope slap for the careless offspring. You could charge him for the replacement top...

Try the Maas metal polish and hope that our readers have some ideas. But if it is perfectly smooth, you may be stuck.

Audrey
06/22/06
Someone recommended EasyOff Oven Cleaner as an option to clean my ceramic cooktop. Not as a 'regular' cleaning, but when there are stains that are hard to remove. Has anyone tried this?
ellen
06/22/06
This stuff is SO toxic! Write/ contact the manufacturer of both the stove and the oven cleaner before you try this.
Linda
02/05/07
Dawn, I have had the same problem, I have used everything I can, I found the barkeepers friend (liquid) is good but still won't restore my burners to the original color, I also use ceramic cooktop cleaner, but I have not found anything to remove the black from the burner, it is on there to stay I guess.
Helena
06/03/07
I'm having the same issue with a quarter sized black mark on my new ceramic cooktop. Has anyone had any success with the Maas Silver Polish?
karen sullivan
06/05/07
I have a ceramic cooktop with gas elements. There is some burnt on food under the grate that i cannot get off. I've tried ceramabryte and also the trick with hot water and fabric softener sheets, but to no avail. The tray is screwed in so i am hesitant to take it out. Do you have any suggestions?
ellen
06/05/07
Some people have had success. Just don't use any liquid scouring cream- many disasters.
karen sullivan
06/05/07
What have they had success with? I am at my wit's end!
ellen
06/06/07
Hi, Karen, sorry the answer to the Maas polish question posted after your question, it does look confusing. A handy person really can get those trays out for you.
Bernie
06/07/07
I have melted an enamel pot (it was empty) on to the top of my Kenmore glass range top. There is a hard 2 inch spot that must be the pot's enamel. Is there a way to get this off? If the burner is left pitted, will it be dangerous to use? Help!
Melissa
06/17/07
I recently bought a glass cook top. I really love the way it looks and thought it would be really easy to clean. My husband made breakfast one morning and didn't clean the range after he left. I tried to clean it later on that day and there is a brown ring that I can't get off. I spent $800 on it and I am really upset about it. I tried the cleaner and a razor blade. Any advice?
cathy
11/05/07
I too have the black spot on my 1 year and 1 month old (of course!)Jenn Air cooktop. Any ideas what this is caused from? It really bugs me. All of a sudden it was there. Ive tried everything. Not a scratch on this beautiful 5 burner cooktop but an ugly black spot on the back burner. YUCK!
ellen
11/05/07
Bernie, I am sorry I missed your post. No way to get rid of the enamal that we know of, short of replacing the top. Much safer not to use rthat burner-

Melissa, he cooked on it with a pan with a dirty bottom, or boiled something over- try the MAAS polish and a Mr. clean sponge- good luck.

Cathy, a dirty pot bottom or cooked on cleaner are the two most commen causes of the EvIL BLacK spots. Try the Maas and Mr. Clean, but don't hold your breath...

jade
11/24/07
I've had good luck getting off the brown ring stains by spreading baking soda on it and spritzing with white vinegar. There is a chemical reaction. You leave it on a few minutes, then use a nylon scrub sponge to scrub it and it usually comes right off.

As for the black spots, I was told this was due to a flaw in the cooktops. I had a couple of smaller stains that kept lightening with each scrubbing and eventually disappeared, but I have a couple of burners that are totally black, but still work well, and the surface is still smooth. I just don't worry about it.

Linda
12/04/07
My husban set a plastic wraper off the sausage on my cook top burner while it was still hot and it melted , Does any one know how to get it off.
ellen
12/04/07
Razor blade, maybe, but this is tough.
CJ
12/09/07
I had a crock pot sitting on my stovetop and by mistake, turned that burner on instead of the one I needed. The leg of the crockpot started to melt and I tried to scrape off the plastic but it just smeared. Now it is hard and I don't know what to do to get it off.
ellen
12/09/07
No suggestions here, except that if you set the burner on the very lowest and use a scraper/knife you don't mind ruining VERY carefully, you might be able to get some off.
CJ
12/11/07
Ellen,
Thanks very much for the suggestion! For anyone else who encounters this problem, Ellen's suggestion worked and actually got 99.9% off.
AnnGocCo
12/26/07
They sell a kit at lowes that is the ceramic stove top cleaner and a razor blade. I was nervous about using the razor blade on the stovetop but the gentleman at lowes had used it on his stove an assured me it was ok. It worked and didn't damage the top. I use it all of the time now.
Louise
12/30/07
I have a Kenmore glass top I bought 2 years ago.
I developed a black spot on 2 burners. My top looks like new except for these spots. Sears agreed to replace it,but only once since I have a maintence agreement. He told me it was caused by my pans. If it was my pans it would be on all the burners. I believe it is a flaw they refuse to admit. When I asked what pans I should be using to avoid this, they couldn't tell me.
malcolm
12/30/07
I have a ceramic cooktop, my wife is pissed! it looks like the white specs under the glass are buring up. We have high end FLAT BOTTOM cook ware and the maytag man said it our cookware and doesn't pass under warranty, our staove is 6 months old. Any suggestion.
ellen
12/30/07
Isn't it easy to blame the cookware! Malcolm, you can take it up the chain to Maytag with photos and emails (at this age of top, I would), and for a replacement top, don't get the one with the white specks. Enalmeled cookware can cause this, even high end, because it makes the burner heat hotter to reach the temp. Louise, you were lucky. They would argue that it occured only on the two most used burners. I can only suggest you keep the extended warranty in place.

Don't run these burners above medium high and don't use a pan too big or little, even if flat bottom.

Cheryl
12/31/07
My husband was cooking breakfast and by mistake put a plastic plate on one of the burners that was hot. The plate melted. How can we clean our smooth black glass top stove? Please help with any suggestions?
ellen
01/01/08
See CJ's question 12/9, above on this thread.
Retha
01/11/08
Same old story, black spot on my Kenmore ceramic cooktop. I cooked a pot of green beans that boiled over and the lady on the phone from Sears told me she could tell me how to get it off if I had the extended warrenty. This was a while back, my regular warranty had just expired. Believe me I had tried everything in the house including Easy Off Oven cleaner. If I could have gotten my hands on the Sears lady she would have needed and extended warranty. No joke ladies, the spot bothers me so much and every once and a while I give it another try. No luck.
Jean
01/16/08
I wiped off my month-old ceramic cooktop with a dishtowel while it was still hot. Washing instruction label melted!! I now have "Machine wash warm water..." on burner! Tried razor, ceramic cleaner, not much luck. Why don't they warn us and find better cleaning ammunition? Accidents will happen, we need solutions!
ellen
01/16/08
What has worked for several readers with melt-down problems is, turn the burner on as lower as possible and scrape very gently with a new razor blade.
Jean
01/17/08
Had a wonderful contractor doing work at my house (he installed the cooktop). When I told him what happened with the towel label, he very carefully and slowly scraped and scraped. It was completely gone when I returned home. OH HAPPY DAY! I cut out labels in all dishtowels!!
ellen
01/17/08
That one's a keeper. you were very lucky!
Sandy
01/18/08
Hi, I have a Kenmore gas slide in range with ceramic top and I can't seem to find anything that will clean the food that hubby has left and built up on top, not on the actual burners, but on the glasstop. I already scratched it a lttle by using hot soapy water and a scotchbrite sponge(hard side)The soft side was not helping at all.
Please if anyone can recommend a cleaner.
No rings, just crust.Thank you!
ellen
01/19/08
I would put a towel wetted with a good cleaner over the whole thing for hours, then carefully scrape with a new razor blade, then clean with a Mr. Clean sponge, then finish with a really thourough water rinse. Then tell DH that if he can't keep it clean, he has to buy you a new, sealed burner gas range out of his mad money. Definutely DO NOT use any scrubbie type sponges.
Anne
01/20/08
I used my new glass stovetop once, and followed all of the directions regarding pre-cleaning with Sear's cleanser and appropriate cookwear. I wiped the bottom of the pot before cooking. The potatoes boiled over, so I wiped the mess with a clean towel. Later, when I looked, the burner had straight, long, criss-cross patterned deep scratches embedded in the glass in a ring formation near the outer edge of the burner! It's ruined. Why? I had hoped to boil over many pots of potatoes in the lifetime of this stovetop.
ellen
01/20/08
Anne, so sorry but not surprised to hear of your disaster! Did you slide the boiling pot across the burner? Sliding is death on these tops.
Anne
01/20/08
No. I lifted the pot. The scratches look too defined and etched in patterns. Some are deeper than others. And they form a ring about 2 inches wide, but haven't penetrated the inner circle. One would think I had made popcorn the oldfashioned way, scaping the pot back and forth, but I merely lifted the pot off the burner. Do you think this is a manufacturer's flaw? It seems unusual that the surface would not withstand a pot of spuds....I understand being careful, but surely this is 'over-the-top' for a brand new stovetop! Your thoughts? Could it be the starch? (I'm reaching here!)
ellen
01/20/08
No telling. Call for a repair/replacement under the warranty; "the first time 5 used it and look at this!" Be persistent, don't take i
"it is only cosmetic" for an answer; the deeper scratches can start a crack later...
cindy
01/21/08
I have a ceramic smooth cook top. my daughter was doing a cooking project carmelizing condensed milk and sugar. the pot boiled over and now there is alot of burnt carmel on the burner. I've tried the ceramic cleaner & dinner knife, but there is still so much left on the burner. any suggestions?
sally
01/21/08
i had a pot leave a brown ring on two burners that looked horrible.I thought I was going to have to replace it I soaked dish towels in bleach and layed them on top of the burners for 10 min and the stains were completely gone. Just clean well before use. Cooktop saved all is well this was a kenmore 5 cook burner bisque top. hope this helps someone.
ellen
01/22/08
Thanks, Sally.
Marilyn
02/06/08
Ellen,
I had a sugary boil-over and before reading your post I used the damp towel and cleanser idea too. I would add tho that one should not give up! It took me almost 2 days of scraping, putting a very warm towel and ceramic cleaner on the stove and scraping again before I got the stove clean. It still got pitted though. Whirlpool stands by their belief that it was the cookware and not their stove though. Although out of warranty, I only use my stove about every other day as family has grown and moved out and I'm only cooking for myself. Next time, i'm reading the owners manual before I buy anything. Sales people don't help.
Eileen
02/09/08
cookware for glasstop cooktop
I have been looking for the right kind of cookware for my glass cooktop. Most flat bottom cookware - has an imprinted manufactuers logo - will this cause scratching?
Donna
02/24/08
I too have the mysterious black spot. I get pissed every time I clean it. I will never get this type gain. My last thoughts on how to fix this problem, is to do what ever it was that cause the problem to the entire stove top. I would rather look at all black then to see this the way that it is. Any ideas how to turn the entire top black
ellen
02/24/08
Signature pots are fine as long as flat bottom.
donna42
03/01/08
I have a black Kenmore Gas Range. No matter what I do it looks smeared and I can't get the grit off of the trays. What should I use to clean it. I usually use Windex or Barkeepers Friend, not working.
ellen
03/01/08
Is this a gas fired glass top or a regular gas range? If regular, are the trays chrome or enamel, and do they remove??
Donna42
03/01/08
It is a Regular gas range with cast iron grates and the trays are black enamel. They are removable.
ellen
03/02/08
Soaking overnight in a strong dishwasher detergent/water solution, followed by a few cycles through the dishwasher might help. Restaurant supply houses also sell cleaner- degreasers which might do the job.
marci
03/04/08
3/4/08

Anything new on cleaning a black with white specks ceremic cooktop that has a black smooth spot that I can't get off. What is Mass Silver polish, will any silver polish do?

ellen
03/04/08
Actually, it is MAAS metal polish and it seems to work better than others on these tops. No special advice about the smooth place...
Amy
03/17/08
I have the black spot also, I know I read somewhere that it is actually some type of reaction from chemicals (iron? or calcium?) in the water that react to the heat and that when you know the trick it's really very easy to remove. I'm going to try white vinegar soaked paper towel left on the spot for a while and see how that works.
As for other cleanup, I use glass cleaner and a razor blade, and it works great!
Cheryl
03/25/08
We have had our stove a year now.
Can you use windex on it? I's am fed up with the cerami brite...fell like I am waxing a car.
ellen
03/25/08
Yes, but you have to wipe it off with plain water after-
Kathy
03/28/08
I have a set in stain about 2 inches lon and 1 wide on my glass top stove.I have tried everything to get it out.
Is there anything I can use that will draw the stain out.
I clean my stove each time I use it. But this stain-I don't know how it got there...

Help I hate to look at it.

ellen
03/28/08
Kathy, is it possible that this stain is underneath, on the burner side of the glass? That happens occasionally.
Kathy
03/30/08
It might be. Is there anything to clean it or bring it to the top for cleaning. Or do I just have to live with it...
ellen
03/31/08
I don't know of anything to "pull" it- no pores in the glass, basically.
Kathy
04/06/08
Thanks for ur answers!
I'm living with the place on my stove top. My husband kids me and says I over clean it and washed the spots off ..Thought you would like that. Thanks again!!
ellen
04/07/08
A reader just wrote in that although the usual warranty on the tops is 1 year, his GE was covered for thermal shock (a pan fusing to the top) and for pattern loss for 5 years- but when he called, they said the warranty was 1 year and did not volunteer that information until he asked about the statement in his manual. So, if it is less than 5 years old, you may want to check out your warranty.
Kathy
04/14/08
Thanks for the information Ellen! I'll call Sears on my range top.
But knowing Sears they will tell me I have to buy a warranty.
Tara Skipper
05/02/08
I use Grease Lighting and no ceramic cleaser. wipe and rinse and wipe again. Oh and Grease Lighting is a degreaser so if you spray it on and come back in about 30 minutes most of the cooked on junk will wipe off.
R. Park
05/05/08
Does MAAS Metal Polish work on a white glass cooktop stove? Mine is a Kenmore and the cleaner Sears suggested, which I bought from them, does not work. It is easy to remove burnt on foods, but the top of my range is completely smooth, with horrible black stains on two of the burners.
ellen
05/05/08
Readers who recommend it have used it on white. Also, get in the habit of cleaning the outside bottom of the p[ots.
Renee
06/02/08
I have the same black spot on my black and white speckled glass top. My black spot is huge and is spreading to the other burners! HELP!!! I tried cleaning with the glass top cleaners and they work great on the brown stains around the rim of the burner but is it my imagination is the black spot gets bigger each time I clean with the glass top cleaner? Is it a cheamical reaction?
David
06/03/08
I have a whirlpool oven with the ceran glass top. My wife beleives that her mother (not a practiced cook) was experimenting in our kitchen again and dropped something on the glass top. It caused a chip over the back right burner and led to a large crack that can actually be pressed on and see movement between what now seems to be a two part glass top. We were told that it may take some time for the repair man to stroll over and let us know that the oven top is indeed broken and in need of replacement and we really don't like to eat out. My long winded question is: Even though I'm 99.9% sure that continued use of the oven would result in further serious damage or worse, is it dangerous to continue using the burners that are not cracked? Thanks a billion!!!
ellen
06/04/08
Renee, see the various other posts, you are having a typical case of black spot disease (joke). At least one manufacturer (GE) covers the top for replacement for 5 years under thermal shock for the pattern loss and for fusing pots to the top, though only one for evrything else that can go wrong.

David, Using the oven should have no effect (I might not broil) and using the burners that are not cracked, the worst that can happen is it cracks further and you have to replace the top, which you have to do anyway. Save your money; you will need it to pay for the new top. I would use the burner(s) furthest from the crack, and keep the heat at or below medium high.

Brad
06/04/08
Don't know what everyone is doing wrong. I've got a Frigidaire smoothtop, just over a year old, and sees daily use. I've spilled, boiled-over, splattered and burned-on every type of mess you imaginable with the exception of sugary spills(no big deal since I'm not into making candy or confections).

My range still looks brand new with nary a scratch, scar, or smudge. I use Cerama-Bryte after EVERY use. Wiping it on with a damp paper towel, letting it dry to a paste, then buffing it out with a microfiber cloth that I only use for cleaning my stove. Following this regimen has given it a showroom-like appearance. For what it's worth, I have soft water. It's my understanding that most of these mysterious "spots" and stains people complain about are actually hard-water deposits easily removed with vinegar or Bar Keeper's Friend. I've also used the blue 3M No-Scratch sponge with great success. Mine's a "EuroKera" top--made in Europe. Temperature control has never been an issue for me.

I've got Lagostina pots and pans, T-Fal skillets, el-cheapo aluminum pans, and a cast-iron skillet for my fish fry's, and NEVER had a problem so as long as the range is cleaned and polished according to the instructions, USING THE CREAM after EVERY use is the secret here folks... I'll NEVER go back to gas or old-fashioned coils.

sue
06/08/08
I have miele all black glass cooktop, which now as a white smooth ring on two of the plates.
could you help with want to do please!
ellen
06/08/08
Discussed by several readers in the ceramic top threads, starting at the top of this thread, please read. Sometimes caused by hard water or not cleaning the outiside of your pota and pans completely.
Brad
06/08/08
Sue,

Did you try using the scraper AND cleaner, letting it sit for a few minutes before buffing it out with a clean, soft cloth? If that doesn't work, try using vinegar or Bar Keeper's Friend and the 3M BLUE no-scratch sponge...

If the stain still doesn't come up after much cleaning and soaking, it may very well be "burned" into the glass. Though it might seem unsightly, it DOES NOT affect the performance of your cooktop.

Let me know if those solutions work for you. Good luck!

Brad
06/08/08
Also, make sure the bottoms of your pots/pans are clean and dry before placing them on the stove. This helps in keeping any residue from sticking and scratching or burning into the cooktop...
Sandra
07/29/08
Hi, I have a scratches on my Whirpool Accubake glass stove top, while cooking I moved the pan around and I guess it was dirty on the bottom and it scratched the stove top. Is there anyway to repair/fill in those scratches? Thanks for your help!
ellen
07/29/08
Not that I know of. You may be able to buff them a bit with Maas polish and the polishing head of the Dremel moto tool- one of the readers wrote about that in one of these ceramic top threads.
Jean Brennan
08/09/08
I used a microfiber towel to wipe off water while the burner was still hot. I now have a patch were the microfiber has stuck to. Is there any way to get it off?
ellen
08/09/08
Set the burner to the very lowest possible heat and stand over it, as soon as the fibers begin to warm/soften, scrape very carefully with a new razor blade. Turn off as soon as it warms enough to warm the fiber.
Rich
08/20/08
OK - I think I figured how to finally do this - without nasty chemicals.

I tried all kinds of things, nothin greally worked, especially not "Smooth Top Range Cleaner" products.

Here's how I did it:

1. After wiping the top clean, scrape off as much material as you possible can. The stained areas should feel smooth when you're done.

2. You need some wood ashes (I used well burned Birch ashes). The white ashes seem to work best. I have a fireplace so it's no problem getting them.

3. Lightly wet the Stove top surface, then wet a paper towel or newsprint, dip it in the white ashes, then begin rubbing the stained surface. It may take some effort, but it does work. You may need to clean it off and do it a second or third time to get it back to new.

I have found the same trick works on the inside of the fireplace's Ceramic Glass Door, which tends to get a tar like film on it - this works when nothing anywhere worked to clean that, so I tried it on a hunch and it works.

Mine has never looked this good since I first brought it home, and my wife rarely cleaned it - so it was bad! Not to mention, it's cheaper than any other cleaner around!

Cheers!

Rich
08/20/08
Forgot to mention - used one or more fresh razor blades to scrape the surface before using my cleaning method. I went through 2. The razors I'm talking about are the single blade kind you can buy in the home centers for scraping paint of windows.
ellen
08/21/08
Thanks Rich.

Don't use pine ashes. They still have a little resin in them that may interfere.

Kim
09/14/08
I have a 6 month old (or less) ceramic black smooth top GE stove. I noticed while cleaning smudges off with Ceramabryte that there are two pin size pits on the outer ring of the adjustable burner. One looks like a bubble and one is a few indents. Literally smaller than a pinhead. No idea when it happened. Can I still use the burner? Should I replace the top? These things are a pain, don't think I'd buy one again.
ellen
09/14/08
If it is still under warranty, get them out to replace it. Yes, they are a pain. The most likely cause is either a glass defect or hot sugar.
Kim
09/14/08
I'll have to see about the warranty. Should I not use that burner for now? It's the most used since our pots all seem to be too small for the other burners.
ellen
09/15/08
The worst that can happen is you crack it and it has to be replaced. Which you will have to do anyway, so...
Kim
09/16/08
Thanks Ellen. Waiting on hold with their Customer Service. But the way things are going I might just wait until a year is up if it doesn't crack before then!
LULU
10/17/08
We are having the same problem. Our GE stovetop had a boil over from the mac and cheese and left a grey or white whatever stain on the blacktop we've tried many things its not coming off. Please help, we are renting, and this is not our stove. This stove is still new as this was a never been lived in house freshly build to sell. We don't wanna look like we trashed a new house when we leave.
ellen
10/18/08
You need to go through the several ceramic top strands and try the various cleaning ideas. I would start with an overnight soak with a dishcloth saturated in white vinegar as a presoak before trying anything else.
Dana
10/18/08
Wow! After reading all of the above, I now know I'm not crazy and there are many others experiencing problems with these cooktops! We just moved into a new house and I was thrilled (at first!) to have this beautiful black cooktop. After just one week, I'm not so sure - thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them although I've already done a few no-no's such as scraping the pan across the top AND cooking Jiffy-Pop. I can't believe I did that after reading how bad it is to scrape the pan on the glass. So far, I'm not sold on this type of appliance .... too hard to maintain
Dorothy
10/30/08
Aluminum foil is cooked into my stove top any ideas on how to get it off.
ellen
10/30/08
This fuses, trying to get it off, with some hints, is discussed several places on the ceramic cooking threads.
Sowmya
11/03/08
I left an empty copper bottom pan for about 3 minutes while attending a phone call not realizing it was empty. There is a silver-gray spot on the center of that burner which is about 1 inch diameter. The cooktop cleaner did not take it out. Any other cleaning options that I can consider?
ellen
11/04/08
I wish there was a good, answer, but nobody has had much luck with these telltale "ghost rings".
Sowmya
11/04/08
Do you have any information if something like this is covered by the warranty period.
ellen
11/05/08
You can ask, but you will get a no, probably; do not discuss that the pan was empty, as this is misuse; just that a copper bottom pan caused the mark.
Kathi
11/12/08
Last night the famous "black spot" appeared on my Kenmore range after my partner cooked a fine meal. Of course the blame went to the cook until I found this website. I now know it could be the dishwasher who is me. This spot is really bothering me! I have tried 4 times today to clean it and the result is a very shiney black spot. When I walk in the kitchen I look to see if it miraculously disappeared. No such luck. I will try the vinager. Was the wood ashe suggestion for the black spot?
Chris van Straten
11/13/08
Cleaning gas stove cast iron grates..Help!
I have a Kitchen Aid gas range with cast iron grates. The grates are so unbelievably hard to clean. I've tried everything from cleaners to sand paper! What cleans cast iron best?
Susan
11/13/08
I have foil burned onto the element of my black top ceramic cook top- have tried the recommended cooktop cleaner- not that much came off- any suggestions?

thanks alot

ellen
11/14/08
Chris, put them in a self-cleaning oven.

Susan, this is discussed several times for plastic or aluminum foil. It is FUSED to the top, and your likelihood of success is small. To repeat, put the burner on the lowest possible heat to soften the bond and use a NEW razor carefully to loosen the spot. You may get some off.

Aly
11/21/08
I have a brand new black ceramic cooktop. I used the new cleaning pad made for cooktops and it appears to have buffed the gloss of the cooktop. Is there anything I can do to revive the shine?
ellen
11/22/08
Use the ceramabryte, or one of the ceramic stovetop cpolishes from home depot.
Aly
11/23/08
I was using ceramabryte and cleaning pads especially for ceramic cooktops at the time I buffed off the high gloss.
Wilhelmina
12/10/08
When the glass top is cold, moisten an ordinary clean sponge, place it over any hard to remove spot or stain and leave it overnight. I have found that many of the tough spots are softened that way and are easily cleaned off in the morning using just the wet sponge.
sandy
12/29/08
I have a Kenmore stove with ceramic cooktop that is just over 1 year old and I now have the "black spot" on two elements which have mysteriously appeared within the last month. I have the extended warranty and the repair man who was out to fix my microwave (a whole nightmare story)advised me that Sears would not cover it because it is "cosmetic". A pot of water and macaroni boiled over last night (stainless steel pots I have been using since I purchased the stove) and after cleaning the surface of the element with the scrub I purchased from Sears the black mark showed up in the very middle of the element. The first mark also just showed up on the other double element about a month ago. I am still going to try to get Sears to stand behing their product. I am going to try a small amount of white vinegar tonight but am a little worried so will proceed with caution. After looking thru the posts and so many people having the same problem how can it be anything other than a defect?
ellen
12/30/08
The vinegar won't hurt it. Try any moisture overnight with a folded paper towel or clean dry dish towel over it, then gentle scraping with a single edge razor blade at 45 degrees, and try not to heat it until you have done all the cleaning you are wiling to do.
sandy
12/30/08
Thanks I will try that. My daughter's opinion in that the white spots on the top are actually disappearing in the center of the elements where the indents on the pots are most common. When water boiils over it would get trapped in this space and possibly causes these white spots to fade. She may have something there since you can still see the white spots but very faint but the black is most predominant. I am like everyone else who has posted about these black marks, everytime I look at the stove I get ticked off! I should have kept my 25 year old Beaumark which was purchased when we got married. New is not always better.
susan
01/25/09
cleaning enamel kitchen aid cooking top
I spilled soup on my brand new kitchen Aid stove top. When I discovered the spill, it had already etched the surface of the stove top. I have tried to clean it with mild soap and sponge and glass cleaner...to no avail. I am really upset. The stain is horrible. Is there anything that will get rid of the stain and bring the shine back? thanks.
susan
01/25/09
cleaning enamel kitchen aid cooking top
I spilled soup on my brand new kitchen Aid stove top. When I discovered the spill, it had already etched the surface of the stove top. I have tried to clean it with mild soap and sponge and glass cleaner...to no avail. I am really upset. The stain is horrible. Is there anything that will get rid of the stain and bring the shine back? thanks.
ellen
01/25/09
I am not clear whether this is a ceramic to or a regular stove top with enamel. If ceramic, see the many suggestions, especially about soaking overnight before scrubbing. If enamel,this helps also- a solution of dishwasher detergent in water as the soaking liquid. Or look at home depot or a restaurant supply store in the cleaning section for the spray on products for stove tops. I am betting it had tomato...

If the finish is actually etched, you will never get the original surface back. Kitchen wax can help it look better- made by Johnson and Johnson.

NewUserCeramicCooktp
02/01/09
I have a Black GE Ceramic cooktop.

For some of those stains that appear to be within the surface of the cooktop:

Try a regular disposable white plastic knife.

Hold firmly with both hands.

Use small short motions.

Takes a lot of wrist and elbow action.

It's a slow process, but it worked for me.

I was afraid that anything else would scratch.

I've learned alot from this forum and I am glad to know that I can try a razor blade if the plastic knife doesn't work.

Amy
02/09/09
I have a brand new ceramic smooth cooktop (black). I used a microfiber towel to wipe off the spills while the burner was still hot. I had a patch of microfibre stuck to it. I used the cleaner, razor blade, vinegar to get rid of it but now there's a white film/streak (about 2 inches long). How can I get rid of this?
ellen
02/09/09
You can try an overnight soak as discussed above and then further scraping, but you may be stuck with it. Plain old cotton is the safest around these stoves.
JO
02/16/09
does pots slide around on all glass cooktops?
pots sliding around on glass cooktop unless i hold them!
ellen
02/16/09
it means the bottoms are warped, not flat, and the pans are heating at a fraction of the udual efficiency.
canyouhelp
03/08/09
Help!!!
While subletting, I inadvertently turned on the wrong element on a glass top range. It appears as if the cheap metal from the pad on the empty pot melted a couple of rings onto the stove top - that won't budge.
Will the surface scratch if I try to remove it with a sharp blade? Any other ideas?

I have until Mar 31 to figure this out (when the owners return)

ellen
03/09/09
You are going to end up paying for a replacement top. There is no way to restore this particular event to normal.
Barb
03/09/09
I have black "spots" on my Frigidaire smooth top. I've always been careful to use appropriate smooth top cleansers. The latest cleanser I tried is Barkeeper's Friend which worked like a charm. But since using it I've noticed these black spots everyone talks about. If I run my fingernail across the top I don't feel anything there except the smooth top. So, it turns out that these black marks are actually areas where the white flecks have come off. (I would have thought they would go deeper than the surface) I doubt anything can be done since my Frigidaire/Sears warranty was only 1 year old and has run. Any suggestions?
ellen
03/09/09
Just be sure to thoroughly and I do mean thoroughly rinse the barkeeps friend after use.
Danielle
03/22/09
Anyone else have problems with their Fridigdaire Smooth Top burners not working? Only our left front and back burners are working for some reason. We can't seem to open the top.
ellen
03/22/09
The burner elements can be replaced.
Bruce
03/22/09
Danielle,

I'll bet it's the switch, or perhaps the receptacle for the range wasn't wired up right? Is your clock/timer/oven controls working properly? No beeping or error codes flashing on the front display?

I've had several burner switches(of various makes and models)go bad on me over the years. The technical name for these things are "infinite heat switch" or "surface burner switch".

They do run hot and have a tendency to go "bad" after a lot of heavy use. Like any other part, they wear out. The good news is that it's a quick and easy repair. Go to repairclinic.com and enter the model number of your range(found on the lower left corner where your storage drawer is)and you should be able to order replacement parts from them...

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Bruce
03/22/09
Barb,

I have a Frigidaire too and have never noticed these spots. It's important to remember that this is strictly a cosmetic issue and does NOT affect the operation of the range. Just keep using the Cerama Bryte and polish on a regular basis, and you'll be set. Ignore the spots, though some may consider them unsightly, they're harmless.

Good luck!

Anne
04/10/09
I have a glass top electric stove and on 2 of my burners in the center there is a white film - any suggestions on how to get off - it is not scratched - just white film
Bruce
04/13/09
Anne,

Try Cerama-Bryte or Weimans cooktop creme.

Let me know if that helps.

Anne
04/14/09
Thanks Bruce but I tried the Cerama-Bryte and it didn't help - if you have any other ideas, please pass them on - it is very strange.Do you think the Weimans is any different than the Cerama Bryte?
Jenni
05/22/09
I was cooking some hummingbird feed (1 part sugar, 4 parts water) and I wandered away. Completely forgot about it until I began to smell burned sugar an hour later. Upstairs. The sugar had completely carbonized. Lovely. Ruined pot, but more importantly, there is a parenthesis-shaped black mark on the burner--it almost looks as if the white part of the ceramic has been burned away--it doesn't appear to be a stain, but and "absence of ceramic." I assume this is BAD. My question is, "How bad is this?" Is it safe to use on lower heat, or should I just not use that burner at all? Thanks from Jenni, who will be setting a timer to remind her to check her hummingbird food from now on.
Jenni
05/22/09
PS the mark is about 1/4-1/3 of an inch wide by about 2" long, if that makes any difference. Thanks again.
ellen
05/22/09
Burned sugar is about as bad as it gets for these tops, short of an actual crack. Yes, it has weakened it, and yes it may eventually crack and yes, keeping the heat on that particular burner at medium or lower may help.
Tabitha
06/29/09
My husband and I just recently moved and have a brand new glass top stove. While cooking our 1st meal on it some cooking grease splattered over (country fried steak) and got on the stove. As soon as it cooled I cleaned it and got most of the grease off but there are still a few small dots on the eye that I can't get off. The top is black and the dots look white. I have ran my finger over them and can't feel anything. Any idea what this could be or how to get these small spots off? I'm kind of OCD and they are driving me crazy!
Thank you
ellen
06/30/09
See all the cleaning hints above, there is still a residue.
Heidi
07/29/09
I was at work and the kids decided to use the glass top as a counter when making lunch. Not sure what exactly it was the didn't clean off the burner, ofcourse neither one of them will now confess but after I cleaned the glass top I noticed I have two pitted spots on the top. Can I fix this at all?? What happens now??
ellen
07/29/09
No way to fix pits. Nothing may happen now, except dope3-slapping the kids...
carla
08/20/09
Hi, My flat top stove is 2 yrs old-I am very happy with it. when food spills on the stove top add some H20 to the stove top & let it soak & wipe the grime/dried food off the stove.

my problem is the burners i use- when they are dry they have grey patches on the burner, when i clean them ,as long as the stove top is wet- the black color is maintained- but as soon as it dry's up the burners look grey- why is this happening & how can I get rid of it?

joy
08/30/09
I just bought a new glass top Whirlpool electric range and was so excited. It is now about two weeks old. I have been using barkeepers friend and also windex and it seemed perfect for the first week or so...I cook a lot for my family and have cooked everything from eggplant to bacon to veggies, etc......frying and other..but never had a spill over...just normal cooking...I clean it when the hot surface light goes out on my stove, and it is usually a little warm but never hot, not totally cold......In the last two days, I noticed white circles which seem like fog under the glass, almost like a pit..(not on top). I cannot seem to get them out and cannot understand what I am doing wrong....Am I cleaning too hard, should I wait hours before cleaning it so it is cold to the touch, it is my hard water, is it too much of the barkeepers friend, is it my flat bottom pots....I just don't know what to do and trying to learn but cannot understand why such a new appliance is giving me such problems...HELP...any suggestions. Joy
ellen
08/31/09
Joy, if you look at the several threads on these tops, you will see you don't have to do anything wrong to get these results. If it is actually under the glass, it could be trapped moisture. I do not recommend barkeeps friend, it is sometimes abrasive. Plus you have to get it completely off after you use it.
cassandra
09/02/09
I used cerama bryte ceramic cleaner on my microwave. I thought since it cleaned the stove so good I could use it on this. Well to my surprise it seems to have left a dull film. I tried to rub it off but no luck. What can I do? HELP it looks horrible
ellen
09/03/09
Probably nothing- the chemicals that clean glass are very hard on paint.
maxine
09/03/09
have a whirlpool stove with ceramic top the large burner has turn white over the burner area any suggestions on how to clean it
stan
09/30/09
I have just purchased a Kenmore smooth top range. At first I was happy to have it, not having to clean those pesky burners on my old electric range, but after reading about all the problems everyone is having I am afraid to use it!
Instructions say to clean the top with the ceramic cleaner provided by Sears before your first use. I applied the cleaner then rinsed it off with a damp sponge and dried with a microfiber cloth. The bottle doesn't say to rinse but I did. Should the cleaner be left to dry, like car wax, then buff it off? If so, should I reapply the cleaner before use?
Also, what are the correct type of pots to use? I have Vision ware and am getting conflicting answers about using it on the new cook top.
I haven't used the stove yet since I want to get this original cleaning done correctly and use the correct cookware.
ellen
09/30/09
No, once cleaned and dried, it should be ready for use. I do not recommend visionware and the manufacturer no longer suggests that it is good for this type stove. If you buy new pans, be sure they are perfectly flat on the bottom and the diameter no more than 1 inch larger than the burners they will be used on. Do NOT slide or jiggle the pan on burners on the top, as the fancy chefs do with the gas ranges; it can scratch the smooth top.
Stan
09/30/09
Ellen, Thank you for responding so quickly. I was out this morning looking at cookware at Sam's Club. Sam's had a nice set of porcelain enamel coated, heavy guage aluminum, non-stick pans. They had smooth bottoms with the logo stamp in the center.
To confirm your answer to the cleaning of the top, I do not have to clean it again since I did put cleaner on it, rinsed it off then buffed it.
I would like to get started with my cooking meals again. If you have any pointers on cooking on the smooth top I would appreciate your listing some. Alot of what has been said above is great info as well.
Thanks to all. I will be coming back often for more info regarding smooth cook tops.
LB
10/13/09
Here is my question... Right when something spills or splatters on the stove (while it's still hot/the burner is still on) what do I wipe it up with? I am terrified to use a paper towel or regular towel. Thank you
ellen
10/13/09
an all cotton dish cloth or towel, wet , is perfectly safe. Use gloves.
shelley
10/14/09
Hi,I used the self-cleaning oven after turkey dinner, and when finished, I wiped the residue off the bottom of the oven with a damp J-cloth, only to notice the paint on the bottom of the oven came off too? I didn't use any chemicals or abrasives and the self-clean was only on for 1 hour! Please help!
Rita Wobber
10/15/09
Purchased a new Matag Range with Schott Ceran glass top. Within a week, one small thermal "shatter" point on a burner develops, shards "evaporate" in the sense that shards are too small to even see. Maytag dealer was uncooperative. Any history of past problems like this by any manufacturer? Any history of defects in Ceran glass range tops?
ellen
10/15/09
Within 1 week? Contact the company directly! Totally warranty issue.
dramablondie831
10/18/09
I have a Jenn-Aire black enamel-porcelain cooktop which has black spots in it . . . I used Bar Keepers Friend once . . . could these be etchings from the Bar Keepers? They won't come off and are not cooked on food. They seem to be in the enamel-porcelain. Anyone else have this problem?
ellen
10/18/09
Is this a ceramic top? That isn't porcelain. If it is porcelain enamel, yes, the abrasive could have caused permanent damage to the top.
Shelley
10/22/09
I've used Bar Keepers on my CERAN stovetop for 8 years and up until today my stovetop was perfect! Not ONE single flaw....my pride and joy! Unfortunately, I have the tiny white flecks and one of my children cooked ramen noodles on HIGH with a dirty oily pan bottom. It blackened the white flecks in a spot the size of a fifty cent piece and it is irreversible. In the last 8 years I've only used Bar Keepers and I've experienced countless veggie and potato boil overs, hot grease splatters and dirty pan bottoms (during the duration of cooking) all without a flaw with Bar Keepers. Of course I'm diligent about making sure I start on clean burners, but finishing is a different messier story. Needless to say, the spot is simply driving me INSANE! How expensive is it to replace the CERAN top or would it be smart to just buy new? It still works perfect, but I'm terribly anal about my stovetop and this could possibly drive me over the edge. I'm thankful after reading this that I'm not alone in how it affects a gal. I think we should start a stovetop support group! :o)
ellen
10/22/09
Replacing the glass is an option, some readers have done it themselves, and costs 2-500 depending on the brand. Maybe a few sessions of therapy would be cheaper?
You might try turning it on to the very lowest heat and using a razor blade on the area, it might take off the discolored stuck on layer.
Shelley
10/22/09
Hi Ellen,

Thanks for your response. The white flecks are actually destroyed in just that spot. They charred right off leaving the black void so there is nothing to scrape off:( I test scraped a half charred white fleck last night. They must have stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Yes! Therapy would be good! :) I take such good care of my appliances to have my kids (who've been raised to respect them) space off just once then I go into adrenal overload at the thought of spending more money to replace them or just deal with the imperfection. Just the other month it was my washer....my Son left socks in my front loader for 5 days while I was out of town! Thank goodness for Smellywasher.com...it has been saved! I tried bleach, solumel, vinegar and baking soda, borax....nothing else worked! Thanks for this site and all the suggestions on the stovetop.

Eileen
12/05/09
I'm a new owner of a Kitchen aid stainless steel with convection oven. Yes it has the ceramic-glass black cooktop . I havent used it much and now I am just about to go crazy trying to keep it clean and take care it doesn get scratches. I even bought an entirely new set of pots and pans .
After using it once and a water boiled over , i found a very minute black hole surrounded with a white stuff on it. I called Sears and a guy came to check it out. It is barely 2 months old and maybe cooked on about 10-15 times. He said he recommended a replacement of the glass cooktop since it is under warranty or opt to have it replace with an entirely different stove, I am still under the 90 days return period and I am now leaning towards having it replaced with an old fashioned coil without the convection. I love the convection oven part but if I can't cook the way I used to and have to deal with rigorous cleaning and not to lose my sanity, I think I'll consider.
Am I making a good decision giving up my convection oven? My husband is about to go crazy as well since I can't make up my mind. Reading through this thread since 2006 it seems the problem still exists. I was hoping there will be better ways to deal with the smooth cooktop cleaning several years later. I would appreciate any input. My hubby will go to Sears tomorrow to have it replaced.
Thanks

Eileen

ellen
12/06/09
I love convection ovens for baking and roasting. If I had a choice I would have one. It takes a little practice to get used to.
Eileen
12/07/09
Thanks Ellen for the reply, I too love the convection oven and is the main reason why i can't part with my new oven so easily.
We still haven't gone to sears to return it and gave the cooktop another try. I still am frustrated at how easily it can get scratch. I use the second burner at the front and found a small scratch not sure from what. I did make sure the pot was dry and clean before i used it.
Now the verdict is to return it and get the old fashioned coil burners minus the convection (sigh)
I know it isnt any easier to clean the drip pans but at least i dont need to worry about scratching it or if it gets too bad, it is cheaper to replace. I love to cook and being Asian I do a lot of stir frying and that has been an issue with the smoothtop. I dont want to have an oven for decoration purposes only or if I cant use it the way I am used to cooking.
I am not lazy with the clean up, that doesn't bother me, it is the scratching and the staining and the black hole thing that bothers me a lot.
Sad as i am to part with the convection oven I think I will be less paranoid with having the conventional /coil oven.
I just hope Sears will take it back without charging me the 15% restocking fee :( but that is something i have to deal with.
thank you for this site that I know i am not making the wrong decision of returning it. I love the convection oven but the smooth cooktop is not for me.

Eileen
ps. would prfer gas but that is not a cheaper option.

ellen
12/07/09
convection ovens are available in coil stoves. If you love it. it is worth looking for. The smooth tops are lousy for stir frying.
Sue
12/07/09
sowmya and ellen,
I did the same thing with a copper pot.I had a little water boiling and it evaporatd quickly. (guess I was used to my old stove taking a long time to boil) I am so upset by it. I wonder if there is a way to fix it from inside the stove? Have you found any ways to remove the spot yet?
I miss the good old days when you ruined the pan if you made a mistake not your whole stove!
Sue
Carole
12/13/09
Shelley, you cracked me up! I agree, we need a support group for those of us who really can't cope with our beautiful glass stove tops being flawed. I'm just like you -- obsessive about keeping my appliances pristine. Every time my 27 y/o daughter visits from out of town she creates some kind of permanent damage to my oven or glass cook top! I think she needs one of those slaps to set her straight, but she's 6" taller than me!

I have a bisque Sears Kenmore Elite, 5-burner, the glass top is white -- right now I'm trying all the suggestions listed here to get a front burner's gray "stain" off -- something daughter created over Thanksgiving, after using the burner once on medium (4.5) heat. So far I've tried the usual rubbing with the special glasstop cleanser, the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, oven cleaner, and right now I'm soaking the burner with a towel soaked in bleach. I don't think this will work either, since after 1/2 hour the stain is still there.

Other than that my only hope is to buy some Cerama Bryte but I don't have any expectation that will help. I do have the Sears 5 year extended warranty but the glass top was already replaced once for the same problem, which they call "cosmetic" but I call a disaster! The Hubs and I never use that front burner because it seems to be very prone to getting the gray "stain" if we ever use it. Mind you, nothing spilled over, nothing can be scraped off, it's just the infamous unsightly and unacceptable dark spot on the white surface. {sigh}

A suggestion for everyone how I easily clean burned on, spilled yucky stuff: wait until the burner cools, then I spray something called "Super Clean Multi-Purpose Cleaner Degreaser" on the mess. It's super-concentrated so you don't need a lot. Let it set a spell, then you can wipe up most spills pretty easily. If not, then go get your razor scraper and try that. I have found that cleaner gets out about 98% of all spills with no effort or scrubbing. It's in a purple plastic spray bottle, sometimes in the automotive section, otherwise in the cleansers section.

Ellen, thank you so much for hosting this site! Just reading everyone's posts makes me feel I'm not alone.

Glenda
12/29/09
I use glasstop stove cleaner from Sears and Scotchbrite makes a cleaning pad to remove black rings etc. Requires some scrubbing but will remove the stain without damaging the surface.
Mary Ann
01/02/10
I have a ceramic cooktop from frigicaire. I have been as careful as possible and also experienced stains. At first I could get them off. Lately certain spots wouldn't come off no matter what I tried, and I've tried everything above except for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I tried it and everything came off with no apparent damage. It looks better than it has for several months, actually perfect. Does anyone know, will this cause damage if used too often?
Mary Ann
Carole
01/02/10
I regret to update the quite permanent gray discoloration, white cook-top, on my one burner that I've always had trouble with. Not a single thing -- from white fireplace ashes to bleach to Cerama Bryte to the Haas metal cleaner to oven cleaner to the heavy duty Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, among others (so many things tried I've blocked them out!) -- not a thing has worked. As Ellen has said many times, often there's nothing to do but grit your teeth about the "can't remove gray discolorations." These aren't the same as burnt on splatters and foods. Oh no, they're the scourge of womankind!

Actually I have reason to believe it's the burner unit creating some reaction underneath, on the bottom of the ceramic cook-top. I no longer use that burner and haven't cooked on it more than about 3-4 times since 2006. I use all other 3 burners constantly and they never discolor.

So I'm plotting something nefarious with Sears but I don't feel too guilty. After all, I paid a fortune for this top o' the line range, and this is the second time the very same burner has discolored -- and the top was replaced for "cosmetic" reasons within the first two years under my Master warranty (but not the burner unit itself). After that two years, too bad, so sad, I'm outta luck. Bah. So if my plan is successful I shall report back when I'm done. Please pray for me!!

RM
01/06/10
We have a Maytag ceramic top range that has what appears to be scratches and gross discolorations UNDER the glass. Not related to the individual burners because some marks cross the entire top of the range, even in the non-heated area. When clean, the surface is 'glass smooth' no marks, only on the underside. Looks terrible - works OK. Have extended warranty through GE Corp. Sent them pictures, was told they didn't feel that was bad enough to warranty. Am on the verge of bringing the hammer in from the garage, cause they said they WILL replace a broken top.
Anyone else with this problem?
ellen
01/06/10
If you are handy, before trying the hammer method, just remove the top and clean the underside, and around the burners. Also, you might consider getting the local repairer who contracts the GE warranty out to look at it. Remember the story about the poor widow and the corrupt judge? Persistence furthers...
RM
01/07/10
Thank you for the reply. I had the local repair shop out, he mentioned that he had seen this once or twice before, and replaced the top, he's the one that said, numerous times throughout our conversation that they will replace a broken one. I may try taking the top off, but I don't know if that will work. I have a 'scratch' (one of many) on the underside that goes from the left front burner to the right rear - from the black thru the gray into the black again. The range is 3 years old, I may just junk it and get another brand. At one time, Maytag was near the top of the line, not any more, especially since Whirlpool bought them.
mlowe
01/18/10
All- I have a Frigidaire...my second ceramic top of this brand. One thing no one ever told me was the discoloration copper pans can cause to this great stove...I tried EVERYTHING to get it clean and had all but given up and was ready to replace it...I discovered (via internet searching) Barkeepers Friend...it is a powder and used a mild scrubbing sponge while the burner was warm with lots of water on it...scrubbed perfectly clean! I am so excited as I truly had given up on the stove. It is lilly white and spotless. Never will we buy a white cook top again, but, it does look good.
Ron Louver
01/19/10
I have a whirlpool black glass top, it has performed well for years, until the other day something splashed on the surface and now there are white circular splash marks that I cannot for the life of me figure out what is that etched the gray dots on the surface. I have tried all good stove top cleaner and even car scratch polish with now results Any one else with a similar problem or resolve.

Thank you all help welcome.

Laura
01/27/10
Hi,
I was wondering if you have had any luck with Bon Ami cleaner for these cooktops? Do you know how to find the manufacturer for a Kenmore ceramic cooktop so I can ask this question of them? Thank you!
ellen
01/28/10
Bon Ami has too much abrasive, can scratch the glass. Barkeeps friend is the less abrasive one. You can call Sears customer service for help.
Cindy
02/21/10
Help...My cleaning ladies used 409 on my brand new ceramic cooktop (which is what was recommended by the manufacturer - they also state to rinse and dry immediately). I'm thinking they left it on a little too long or didn't rinse well enough because I have streaks that I can't get off. The makers of 409 told me to just rinse with clear water...I had already tried that. The maker of the cooktop says to try Bar Keepers Friend... Has anyone had success with this for this type of problem? HELP
ellen
02/21/10
Several readers have used the barkeepers friend. First, though, I would put dishtowels soaked in vinegar on it overnight and then try buffing that off- less chance of scratches.
Cindy
02/22/10
Thank you Ellen. I purchansed Bar Keepers Friend before I read your response and used it mixed with lots of water. Wiped it off and dried immediately and most of the streaking is gone. I think a little more time working on it and it will all be gone. Maybe if I had used the vinegar overnight first, it would have been easier. Appreciate your input and website!
Tisha
02/27/10
I have a black cook top stove that now has a white ring on one of the burners. Can anyone help me figure out what to use to clean this off. Thanks
sandra
02/28/10
Is it because of sugar being spilled on the cooktop that it gets pitted? Where can you buy Barkeeper's friend or this Mass metal cleaner? Should they be used on just the stubborn spills or used regularly on the whole surface? It's been great to read all the comments. It has given me tools to keep my glass top looking it's best. By the way my mother put her plastic cutting board on a hot burner and melted it. She just kept scrapping it with a razor like you had said and it is still lovely today. thks
ellen
02/28/10
Both are mildly abrasive, so use only when needed. Both are available at Walmart (automotive section for the Maas) and most hardware stores. Glad to help.
sandra
03/01/10
Oh my goodness!!! I used one of the suggestions in your site, rubbing a paste of baking soda all over the surface. I scrubbed with my fingers and really worked the paste into the black spots and the pitted areas. It looks beautiful! The pitted area is still there if you look closely but looks way better. It even took off spots that I had used the cleaner that came with the stove on. Thanks so much. I am now proud of how my stove looks again!
mona
03/11/10
let me tell you a boiled over water stain on a cermic stove top is NOT removable.. Accept that as a fact.. I researched every avenue and it is agreed you must live with it or repace it. But let me tell you that there is only one thing that works for me that keeps my ceramic top (other than the mere water stain) is (and I want you to know that I am not sponsering, nor in any way associated with this product) I swear by "Dawn Power dissolver" Whenever I have a stubborn stain, I spray it on the top of my cermaic stove and leave it on overnight.. In the AM I clean it off and the stain is gone. So far, it has worked for me. Hope this works for you..
Peter
03/12/10
Had I to do over again, I would skip the ceramic top stove, but having said that I have tried heating the element and then spraying oven cleaner on it and letting it cool. Then clean off the residue with a razor scrapper and rinse with vinegar and then water and towel dry. Another trick is to use Ceramabrite and then put the scrubber pad under a palm sander and let it do the scrubbing for you.
Hamid
03/31/10
electric coil or smoth cooktop?
I have an electric coil cooktop. working good for 20 yars and still working. I like to replace it. The question I have that shoul I buy
1/ Electric or gaz cooktop ( gaz line is available)
2/ If electric is better, which type. Coil or smooth top.
I appriciate any input. Thanks.
ellen
04/01/10
Hamid, in my opinion, gas is the first choice for good cooking on the stove top, and I would never select a smooth top. This and several other threads outline the woes of smooth tops...
hamid
04/01/10
Thanks Ellen
Is The gaz cooktop save. If the lighter does not works and someone accidently open the valve and does not light and forget to close it. In this case gaz is continue to come or gaz does not come out if is not lighted??
My wife choses Dacor 36" Preference Renaissance gas cooktop. Anybody has opinion about Dacor cooktop. Any other brand is more reliable??
I appraciate any input.
Regards//// Hamid
hamid
04/01/10
Also black color is easy to clean Vs sainless steel?
Carole
04/01/10
Reporting back on my slightly shady plan about my white Kenmore ceramic cooktop (it's less than 4 years old). I did get the entire side burner unit replaced -- it's called a bridge burner -- as well as the whole electronic control panel. I figured while the guy had the top propped up (he actually was here twice) I would just clean the underside of the ceramic top where I have the infamous wretched "gray" stain/discoloration that nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, can remove. I thought I was so smart -- if I couldn't clean the top side, I'd just wait until he opened the unit and I'd scrub the bottom of the ceramic glass. NOT.

Turns out the underside of the ceramic glass top has some kind of metallic looking space age material -- I'd say insulation but it's not anything like I've seen before. You can't move it in any way nor can you slide your hand or sponge (or even a finger) under there -- it's like it's welded or glued on. So, I did get some new parts but the stoopid gray discoloration will be there forever. Live and learn I guess. Sniffle. Sob.

ellen
04/01/10
Hamid, stainless is actually easier to clean, there are cleaners for stainless that would lift the paint off the black tops.

Carole, that stuff is part of the heat conduction set up, you definitely do not want to disturb it. Congrats on the working parts

hamid
04/02/10
IS the gas cooktop save??
hamid
04/02/10
sorry for typo. Is the gas cooktop safe to operate?
ellen
04/02/10
Hamid, in the US, new gas ranges have built in cut offs that stop the gas when there is no flame. If you have a modern gas stove, correctly installed, it is safe. In fact, the only injury I have ever received from a stove top was from a defective electric coil, that basically shattered and sent hit bits spewing everywhere.
hamid
04/05/10
My wife choses Dacor 36" Preference Renaissance gas cooktop. Anybody has opinion about Dacor cooktop? Consumer reports says Dacor cooktops is prone to more repair then athor brands.
Can any one has experience with any other reliable brands?
Thank you for Your help///
Regards////Hamid
Angie
04/16/10
Two pot holders smouldered on a cooling down burner. No flame,but left residue from pot holders on the burner.Tried the soda and vinegar also one of the products for glass top nothing. I guess will try the blade next.I am 79 so will most likely never get another stove. This one is almost 3 years, I would definetly go gas if I had another chance!!!
ellen
04/16/10
Set the burner on the lowest possible heat to soften the material before you try to scrape it. Good luck.
Brittany
04/17/10
Hi, I wanted to comment on another solution for cleaning the cooktops. We have used the "Magic sponges" on our top and it works pretty good for most spots and stains. Make sure the cooktop is NOT on/warm. It must be done fairly quickly after cooking or the stains tend to set in and you have to scrub. My experience is that if the sponges are dry, they sometimes work better with tougher stains. Good luck.
Harriet
04/18/10
In your opinion, which is a better quality. The smooth black cooktop or the speckled variety. However, after reading this thread, I am of the opinion that smooth cooktops should not be manufactured anymore in order to save one's sanity. Most people take items out of the oven and place them on cooktop when the counters are full or unprotected and this is not possible with a glass one. TOO MANY negatives.
ellen
04/19/10
No opinion on which, agree on the negatives...
Diane
04/25/10
I scraped something off of my ceramic stove top and took a chip out of it, Will this crack under heat do you think?
ellen
04/27/10
Probably, but it could be tomorrow, or it could be years. As long as it did not go all the way through, risking liquid in the unprotected electrical areas, you can still use it.
Patty
05/18/10
cleaning black enamel stove top
I have a Kitchenaid range with a black enamel stovetop urchased in Oct. 2009. There are dull grey rings around the gas burners. I tried the things mentioned above, but nothing has helped. Because the stovetop streaks so badly when cleaning, my husband initially used Windex. Could this have played a part in the dull rings? Also, the burners are brown; how do I clean them?

A suggestion to avoid streaks is to use a European Super Cloth, also good for glass and can be ordered from QVC or online.

P.J.
05/30/10
Would think that if water related deposits are a problem, CLR would take care of it. Also, Sears supplied a bottle of ceramic cooktop cleaner, a white abrasive cream. I now see that "white" cooktop cleaners should not be used on black cooktops as they will scratch them. From my work in lapidary, I know that even micro scratches would hasten the development of verious types of deposits and stains. Any thoughts about "black cooktop cleaners?)
jamie johnson
06/11/10
You need to be meticulous in cleaning up quickly after using any burner-a real pain.I have discovered that to make a burner-even one with a gray area look perfect temporariy, is to put a tiny dab of cooking oil on and rub in. Makes the burner look like new. Just clean off the burner before cooking on it!

Great flat bottomed pans to use are Cuisinart Chef"s Classic stainless steel. You can get at Amazon a 10 piece set for $110.

Jessica
06/24/10
Hi Ellen, We are looking at replacing our 20 year old coil jenn-air with a ceramic "quick clean" top and I am really hesitant to do so because keeping it look nice sounds difficult--especially when you have a sort of sloppy cooking style/family. Do you recommend then?
ellen
06/25/10
No. I don't like cooking on them and I find them quite difficult to maintain if you cook a lot.
P.J.
06/28/10
Plastic melted on cooktop. After you have gotten off all that you can with conventional cleaners and scraped off what you could with a razor blade and insuring the cooktop is absolutely cool, wrap a doubled or triples paper towel around the end of your finger, mosten with acetone, and carefully rub, remoistening as necessary when the acetone evaporates. Will do the trick, just takes a few minutes.
Carlos
07/04/10
What happens if you use Windex or an all-purpose cleaner on a black ceramic stovetop?
ellen
07/05/10
See the very first question on this thread, if the chemicals are not completely removed, your top can be in trouble.
John Moore
07/05/10
Whirlpool Stove
Chipped the outer edge of my Whirlpool Electric stove. What would be a good "Fix Up' kit to buy?
ellen
07/05/10
Most sorry to tell you, the only thing you can do is take it down VERY CAREFULLY with a glass sanding paper/ tool. Nothing sticks...
Rachel
07/08/10
I have cleaned my oven with oven pride, however some has spilt onto door, the door has brown stain which I cannot remove, the stain is smooth. Have I ruined it? Help!
ellen
07/10/10
Unfortunately, the cleaner acts chemically on the paint, and you are probably stuck with the oops.
Ernie
07/19/10
I have a ceramic cook top. I took some bread, in aluminum foil, from the oven and placed it on the back top burner which was still turned on. I now have aluminum burned onto the ceramic top. I scrapped it with a razor blade and also used "Cook Top Cleaning Creme" but the stain still remains. What can I do to remove the stain? Thanks.
ellen
07/19/10
It may not come off. Several options are discussed in the various threads; very gently preheating before scraping is one that helps.
Cindy
07/28/10
Well folks I have had my glass Kenmore cook top/stove for years now and got one of those evil.. nasty.. black spots (just the other day) that has grown with each try to get it off. It's slick like glass with a few divits in the center. I am really upset about it. I have tried every suggestion here on the site. I can't afford to replace it and now it looks aweful. I dream about what to do and it really bugs me. If only you could turn back the clock!!!
Sara J.
08/09/10
I bought a Fisher Paykel electric range with a ceramic glass cooktop. It was installed in July 2010 and I have used it for about 5 weeks now. I am terrified to use it anymore, as I do not know how to remove the scrapes and spills--nothing works! I read the FP manual ten times and they say to use a scraper. I don't know what type of scraper to buy. Also, there are very minor scratches. How do I fix this. Would you recommend the proper type of pots and pans that I should use. By the way, to those who plan to buy Fisher Paykel, BE WARNED, it is very difficult to talk to them (all calls are forwarded to New Zealand) because of the time difference, and they are very defensive of the product, and are not willing to help, citing that there are different products for different countries, and they cannot list everything in their manual. I find this utterly ridiculous. Ellen, can you help with cleaning solutions and types of pots and pans? I would be very grateful for your advice. Thanks.
ellen
08/09/10
Sara, it is expensive and it is still under warranty, you could return it. Otherwise, the various threads discuss the many cleaning options and some mistakes, as well as types of pans. Try the Weimer brand cleaner and the Mr. Clean Magic eraser. Thoroughly scrub the BOTTOMS of all your pots. NEVER slide a pan on the top, always lift and place. Good luck.
Marilyn
08/10/10
Ellen, I'm so glad I found this web site. I too tried to mop up a water spill on my cooktop with a microfiber towel. I found your web site and saw that I wasn't the only one and followed your advice to gently warm up the burner and then scrape with a razor. It took a little while but I got it all off and it's back to looking beautiful. Thank you so much!!
Libby
08/11/10
cleaning ceramic cooktops
I use Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner to remove heavy, burned on foods. Weiman has Cook Top Scrubbing Pads that easily take off the burned on residue without hard scrubbing. Also, the Weiman cleaner leaves a great shine on my smooth top range. I use it almost daily to clean my cooktop! You can purchase it at Walmart, Target and any grocery store.
Recall
08/21/10
All that have glass top stoves. The companies that make the glass tops all knew that this would be hard to clean. All of the companies should refund the money or replace all the stoves. They just made the glass tops and screwed the buyers. Don't let them get away with this. The companies did not lower the price to buy? Never buy a glass top! For the buyers that have had for years without a problem - Do you like having to clean the top everytime you spill something? Cleaning a stove should not cause damage and when it does the companies that sold you this should be made to replace!!!
ellen
08/21/10
A few users love them. For the rest, all I can say is, try before you buy; most companies do NOT do any of the adjustments that "recall" mentions.
Alaine
10/06/10
cleaning oven glass door
I noticed a white drip mark that goes from the top to bottom of my glass door. I don't know how it got there as there does not seem to be any way for it to get in. I have heard that this is a manufactures problem, but would like to know if there is a way to clean it.
It is between the inside and outside glass.
It has always been so clean and pretty, and now has this big white streak running down it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks...
ellen
10/06/10
The door has to be taken off and disassembled. Sorry.
Alaine
10/07/10
Can I do that or is that a job for a professional?
Thanks
ellen
10/08/10
It is usually a job for a pro. You might be able to find instructions on line, if you are very handy...
nina
11/13/10
To Mona and others women who think water stains, white and gray spots are unremovable THEY ARE. I had the worst white/gray sopt that was big and nasty. I used Dr Beckmann Rescue and I soaked the spot over night and repeat it twice till I got rid of all the spots 100% and now my top looks deep black as new!! Try it..
Dan
11/17/10
Hi Ellen after reading all the comments, I don't think I want to buy any glass top ranges I will stick to the old coil tops; I need to know tho the best trays under the coils to get; as mine stains so easily; and never completely cleans up. Any suggestions? Thanks
RubyTuesday49
11/21/10
I was on my third ceram (smooth) top stove - I found creamy Vim worked the best. I ended up with a ghost / watermark that I could not remove. One repairman said "it's cosmetic you'll just have to live with it" - the 2nd repairman replaced the top. I decided to return the stove and have a gas cooktop which I LOVE. I think if I was the only person cooking & cleaning it, it would have been fine. Others in the house were not as diligent. I think you HAVE TO clean the top after EVERY use. I much preferred creamy VIM to Cerambryte.
ellen
11/21/10
Dan. high end gas stoves have more choices, go look at some at fancy appliance stores and see if something appeals. Remember, painted ones can go in the dishwasher and some people put stainless ones into their self-cleaning ovens...
Taylor
11/25/10
odor-free wine storage wood
Does anyone know of an odor-free wood I can use to build a wine storage cabinet?
Wood that will not impart odor to the wine?
ellen
11/25/10
Woods most often used are
# Redwood
# Western Red Cedar
# Malaysian Mahogany
Melissa
11/30/10
Does anyone know if the electric induction smooth tops are easier to clean than the glass/ceramic smooth tops?
Do the induction tops get the mystery ghost rings, water rings, white rings, black/dark spots, swirly scratchies, dings, and crusties too?
I'm wondering if I should buy a new stove to save my sanity, but if they are hard to clean too, I just don't know what to do! I can't take this glass/ceramic top anymore! My nerves are giving me hives. Gas is not an option and I hated coils and drip pans.
Please - what electric stove can I buy that is easy to keep clean? Is there a such thing?
ellen
12/01/10
Induction tops are relatively new and I have had only a bit of experience with them, maybe our readers have helpful advice.

There are some expensive electrics with sealed coils- maybe you could look at those.

Melissa
12/01/10
Thank you. I can't find anything online with sealed coils- only in gas versions can i find this term.
I found "solid disks" in electric - is this what you are recommending?

Thanks again!

ellen
12/01/10
Yes, you might look at those.
Becky
12/11/10
Any ideas of what to put over a burner, on a glass top, to show it is still hot as hell?
Sonya
12/14/10
I use the non toxic oven cleaner it works beautifully for the black spots spray leave on for a bit wipe off rinse with clean water finish with ceramic cleaner
Nan
12/22/10
My son made dinner this evening, and didn't clean up after boiling over the pasta. I was able to get most of the baked on gunk up with a plastic pot scraper, but not all of it came up. Do I try a razor blade? Any other suggestions?
ellen
12/22/10
Don't use the burner ti you get it clean- try the reader suggestions on this and the other threads. You will probably have to soak it overnight under a damp towel (ammonia? stove top cleaner?)to get it removable.

Don't let this keep you from involving the fellow in domestic responsibilities Just tell him next time he has to make dinner without using the stove top!

pat free
12/25/10
can you clean a black ceramic smooth cook top with diluted vinegar
ellen
12/26/10
It works about as well as PLAIN WATER...
Barb
12/26/10
I posted two comments on your site this fall - one lengthy, very positive re the particular ceramic glass cooktop I have, and one re the "solid discs" - hobs - that I had also used at one time. I was responding to someone who asked about the hobs. Neither one is there any more - in that you have comments back to 2006, I was just wondering why they had been removed - it would seem to me that presenting both positive and negative viewpoints is more fair - the comments appear to be mostly negative. I realize that I am in the minority - but there are people that are very happy with their glass cooktops. I have two daughters and a sister-in-law who have them also and we LOVE them.
ellen
12/26/10
Barb, they were not moved, you posted on one of the other ceramic threads (there are about 6). I only take off posts that are Spam, rude/ugly, or contain unsafe name/ID information. You can find your posts by doing a google advanced search specifying my site and looking for barb and hob.
Anna
01/24/11
I have a smooth cooktop stove, Whirlpool brand. WARNING !!! don't use Yoshida sauce and let it boil over under any circumstance. My daughter cooked chicken with this sauce didn't wipe all of it up right away, and it actually ate my ceramic top (Must like Japanese). The pits are 1/8th of an inch deep on my front large burner. Now it looks like a moonscape. It makes me sick because the stove is only a couple of years old. Suprisingly it hasn't cracked yet, but i'm just waiting for that day. If it can eat through glass, I hate to think of what it's done to our stomachs!
ellen
01/25/11
The never-ending adventures of smooth-tops...
Ray
02/13/11
I have sucessfully cleaned meted plastic residue off of my glass cooktop using paint remover containing methylene chloride. You need to be really careful with this stuff as the fumes are nasty but have no odor. Entensive ventilation is required and be careful not to get the paint remover on anything else.
ellen
02/14/11
Thanks Ray.
stanley
03/05/11
I just bought a new black glass top GE range...I got some gunk on one of the burners after a first use. I put some Cerama Bryte on the area, used the supplied yellow scrub brush and scrubbed the stain away. Now the burner has a dull haze around it. I didn't use any other non-recommended cleaners and I'm not sure what to do. It looks smooth and shiny from a distance, but with the fan lights on..there's a dull area! Can this area be polished? Oy...so annoyed.
ellen
03/05/11
You have to try some of the other suggested cleaning- it may not be fully clean- these are tiresome to manage, aren't they?
Ann
03/08/11
I have had a Frigidaire ceramic cooktop stove for about 5 years now and no trouble what so ever. I saw another post that said the same thing about their Frigidaire. I'm not overly protective of mine and get lots of spills (some of them burned on) but it always cleans up ok. It is not an expensive one - think I gave $700 for it. I have a scraper with a blade that looks similiar to a razor blade but has a handle and it works well to scrape off gunk. I think it can with the stove.
Becky
03/13/11
We use the little plastic-hand scrapers that you get from certain businesses. You know, the kind that look like a credit card but harder plastic. When you little scrubber won't get it up, use these. They scrape that hard-to-get, burnt-on stuff right up. Also, when you put your cooktop cleaner on, be sure to smear it all over, then let it set for an hour on really tough jobs. It will release and come clean with some elbow grease pretty easily. Our cooktop also came with some protector cream. I think this helps it clean up easier. When we run out of it, we return to the store we bought the range from and get another bottle; it last forever because you don't have to use much of it. However, our stovetop cleaner, we usually buy at the grocery store.
Becky
03/13/11
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention. Our range is a Frigidaire also.I would still try the scraper thing though.
Rebecca
04/15/11
Lemon juice overnight took off burnt on sugar
ellen
04/16/11
White vinegar is about the same-
Danny
04/22/11
A really good way to get off burnt on food or cleaners is to take a small towel or a few wash clothes and layer it about 3/4 inch thick (a bunch of paper towels will work too) soak it in water and lay it over the burner with the burnt on mess, then turn that burner on right above the low setting or about 3/10 on the heat dial. Let the soaked towel set on the burner for about 20-30 minutes. It may be necessary to add some water every 10mins or so to make sure the towel stays soaked. You should see a lot of steam raising as it sets. If no steam then turn the heat up a bit more. After 20-30 minutes of steaming the burnt on mess should come off a lot easier... In my case I still had to use a cook top (nylon) scrubber but it worked great.
Kathy
05/04/11
Please help me!!!I have had 3 stovetops from Sears! They are junk.The 1st one was replaced by Sears said it was defective.The 2nd one I purchased. The 3rd was replaced by Sears.I now have the same problem.It is a black top with white specks.The center of 2 burners have turned black can bearly see white spots. It looks awful.
ellen
05/04/11
Um, Kathy, maybe you want to try a different top or supplier? Also, you need to run these tops at medium high or less- running them at high is a good way to get the black spots. Also, check out the bottom of your pots- scour them.
beraleday
06/05/11
I find myself coming to your blog more and more often to the point where my visits are almost daily now!
Karen B
06/20/11
I'm not even going to start with my hate for these stoves. I don't even have to burn anything & it leaves nasty scorch spots. I use Dawn Power Disolver from Walmart. Now my white stove is turning gray. I'm in a rental, the stove is brand new & looks like it's years old. I'm resorting to my old Farberware electric skillet just so I don't have scorch marks. When I do need to boil water I start the water in the microwave only to have the least amount of cook time. I also start eveything on low. It's a terrible way to have to cook having been a chef!
ellen
06/20/11
Do really scour and clean the bottoms of your pots.
scaredofglasstops
06/21/11
Does anyone know if a ceramic cooktop will ever be marketed that will at least alleviate some of these problems? I hope cooktop companies are working on this.
Is one brand better than the competition? Like KitchenAid, versus GE versus others.Thanks.
fayleen
07/04/11
I was making french crepes on a ceramic cooktop. Husband got too excited to get them still hot, put a plate on top of a cooktop and, I guess, dragged it all the way across. Now I have scratches, small ones that you can't feel, and deep ones also. What can I do?
ellen
07/04/11
Oh, sorry! Nobody has come up with a good solution for actual scratches. Do keep them cleaned out or they get very conspicuous.
Mark
07/14/11
Even after reading the cleaning/scratch issues and after having suffered the fused aluminum problem listed above I am going with another ceramic glass cooktop. I am curious as to whether a black or white one would be easiest to keep clean. I understand most people have experience with only one or the other. Anyone with expertise on this issue?
Debby
09/01/11
I clean my black kenmore smoothtop after each use and yesterday I noticed one of my burners looked like it had blisters under the surface of the glass. Is there anyway to get rid of these and can I use cast iron on this top? I also want to thank you for your sight many of your tips have been helpful.
ellen
09/01/11
Nothing that cleans will get under the glass. Were you high heating, or using very large pots on the burner? This sometimes triggers these weird effects.
Sabrina
09/04/11
Thanks everyone for all the ideas on how to clean my new black stove top! Now, is there any way to PREVENT the top from getting that dull look around the burners (almost like it's been scuffed)? I had a black top years ago and struggled with keeping the top clean. My next stove was a stainless top (LOVED IT...and so did the people who bought our home....wrote it in the contract!). I decided to try another black top (like the look). Appreciate any tips!
sallypolak
09/07/11
i have to clean my l.g. ceramic stove top after every use. would never buy another one other then looks, and that would be after i recieved meals on wheels with no cooking involved. weimers is the only thing that works. one more cleaning product i have to buy. i thought cleaning was suppose to get easier. like cars they are designed with the garage in mind.
CDarnell
09/10/11
I have a Dacor black cooktop with grayish speckles and have 4 small spots that appeared after cooking something the other day. Nothing boiled over but the Cuisinart pan had a fused bottom that showes a narrow stripe of copper and I wonder if maybe something leaked out where the bottom is fused on. I have tried cook top cleaner, baking soda paste, Barkeepers Friend and scraping the top with the blade that came with the cooktop and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions what else I might try?

Thank you.

Sherry
09/20/11
I have a Kenmore glass cooktop with flecks of white in it. I just purchased Paula Deen's stainless steel pans with copper bottoms. Is the cookware safe on my stove? Like the looks of the pans, but certainly not worth damaging the stove.
Have been using anodized frying pan and some enamel T-Fal in the past. Stove looks almost new.
Will not use the pans until I hear back.
Thank you in advance for any advice!
ellen
09/20/11
Copper clad are supposed to be safe on this top. As with others, NEVER let them cook dry.
Niki
09/23/11
cleaning gas cooktop
I have a black Kenmore gas range with black enamel under the grates. We just bought a new hood with decent lights, and I now can see that the enamel is a disaster. In places it is actually bubbling up. It's also very stained with hard junk that I couldn't scrub off with baking soda. I can't tell if the enamel has come off in places or if I'm feeling raised stains. Can anything take off hard stains like this? 3 of the 4 burners are ringed like this. Have I ruined this cooktop forever?
Niki
09/23/11
cleaning porcelain! cooktop
Whoops, it's a porcelain cooktop under the grates.
ellen
09/24/11
Check into replacing just the top through the Sears parts store. Once you have bubbled the enamel, it is not ever going to look perfect again...
Alicia
09/28/11
I just moved into my apartment and there is a stove top the one burner had the brown ring around it from someone letting it boil over...I was using it and recently noticed that the black colour from the burner is actually gone in some spots....is it ok to use or should I avoid it completely its the only large burner I have
alicia
09/28/11
sorry I ment cook top! not stove top
ellen
09/30/11
Safe to use, just not pretty.
AB
10/01/11
This Works!
I figured dishwasher soap should not scratch the ceramic top.

Wet the top with a sponge then take a "Finish
All in 1" Powerball, using the back side I rub the dirt right off.

ellen
10/01/11
Interesting idea. Just be sure to rinse THOROUGHLY and COMPLETELY before using the burner again.
susan`
10/13/11
I read these posts and thought, wow, hope that doesn't happen to me.

Guess what? first week, I bought a brand new stainless steel pan and the darn security foam tag was on the bottom. (I thought I set that new purchase aside to return to the store and somehow it ended up in the cabinet). Got the foamy thing off but the imprint is forever in the glass.

Microfiber cloth was dropped on a hot burner. I had just turned the burner on. I was so angry at myself. Scrubbed for 90 minutes with Ceramabryte cleaner. Nada. Ended up putting olive oil on the area and using a new razor blade to carefully and slowly remove it. Its off and polished to a high sheen but the imprint is imbedded in the glass. I've owned the stove for 3 weeks. I hate it.

Carol
10/14/11
I have a problem with the stainless steel rim popping up from my ceramic KitcheAid cooktop. I called the manufacturer and of course they could send a tec out for a some ridiculous amount of money to take a look. Does anyone know if I can just glue this?? Food is getting under it and I'm concerned about damage. HELP!!!!!
ellen
10/14/11
Yes, they are not great for most ordinary families.
Emma
11/02/11
I have had two ceramic cooktops and I have found that is is important to use a wax on them. I will somtimes do 2 to 3 cotes. It has made the stove so much easier to clean and the food does not spot as bad. I do the whole cooktop. To clean, I use a scruber and a razor.
ellen
11/03/11
Emma, most waxes will burn off and cause trouble. Be interested to know what you used...
Raj
11/06/11
Hi,
I have a black ceramic cook top range and my mom used an aluminum pot on it. It seems to have left a silver spot on it from the bottom of the pot. Any suggestions on how I could clean it? Please help!
Megan
11/06/11
I am having the opposite of the black spot everyone is talking about. Our 1 week old (Yes, ONE WEEK! So irritated!) flat top range seems to be losing the black surface color on the burners. If you look at it from an angle you can see almost rainbow/clear areas. What is causing this and can I get rid of it? Sounds kind of similar to the previosu post. Is it from aluminum cookware? What cookware is the best to use?
ellen
11/06/11
CLEAN the BOTTOMS of your pots thoroughly.

These stoves are so irritating, I have a hard time being rational about them, you have my sympathy.

For the silver spot, try MAAS metal polish. No suggestions for the rainbow-

Megan
11/06/11
Update to my earlier post.

Cleaner the surface with Cerama Bryte - looks like new!

ellen
11/06/11
Thanks for the update.
Amber
11/07/11
I was making some jelly, and I went to grab a potholder and when I turned around the vinegar/sugar mixture had bubbled over. When I picked up the pot, the cooktop caught on fire where the bubbled over mixture had been. I cleaned it, and it appears as though the fire might have burned off parts of the glass, leaving a dull ring. I'm guessing it's not safe to use that burner, correct? Am I safe to use the other burners?

Thanks in advance!

Kara
11/09/11
I have a white stove top that has started to get what seems to be burn stains every time we cook. At first, I thought it was when using high heat for iron skillets. But now it's doing it even when boiling water. We've been living at our home for almost a year, and this just started happening recently. I had been using products like Kaboom, etc (bleach base) to clean it, but that's stopped working. Did I do damage with those cleaners? Any suggestions on getting my stove top clean now?
ellen
11/09/11
Amber, as long as the glass is intact, the burner was protected and you can safely try using it, and see if the thermostat (heat control) survived the trauma.

Kara,do really scrub off the bottoms of your pans and pots. Usually it is residual crud that causes this.

Gail
11/19/11
When using the razor scraper should you only go in one direction?
ellen
11/19/11
It is a good idea- not essential, but useful.
JUDY
11/26/11
hi

i am sooooo upset. our kenmore elite black glass top stove is 6 months old and hardly used as we used the barbeque all summer. now the large burner is all scratched even though we go to great lengths to keep our pans clean and we never shuffle the pans back and forth. i doubt sears will do anything but it is very frustrating when we were told how they dont scratch by the sales rep and it did anyway.

judy

maria
12/01/11
hai,
We are living in a rented house and we have a maytag ceramic advanced cooking system..i am using the stove very carefully as my landlord is very strict,but two months back i can see some white spread over one of the stove and i tried weiman glass top cleaner and easy off to remove that,but the white spread didnt go..can you please help me with this....
Timmy
12/02/11
NOTHING WORKS BETTER THAN BRILLO PADS!! Tops look like new and no scratches!
ellen
12/02/11
DO NOT use Brillo pads on your top if you ever want to use the warranty. Do NOT use oven cleaner, ditto. See this article:

www.us.schott.com/hometech/english/products/ceran/dailyuse/cleaning_agent.html

Negar
12/04/11
Hi all,

I Have Ceramic cooktop which is all white and it gets ditry and full of dark stain easily even with only boinling water on it. I take care of it ALOT, I keep my pans clean specially the bottom of them. I use Ceram Bryte,and clean it with naturally all purpose cleaning spary and wipe it with softh cloth. But still it is always dirty make my life in the kitchen hard. today i used stainless still scours and it works really fast and removed avery thing in a second with no scratch. now Im asking if i can use it more often dose it really agressive for ceramic cooktop? dose it really scratch it over time???
pleas help me im disapointed

Sunny
12/04/11
Hi,

I have a ceramic stove top and all the 4 burners top have a hard resedue on top of it and cleaning with any liquid wont help. Is there any other way i can remove this hard resedue to get it cleaned.

ellen
12/04/11
I can't recommend scouring pads, ever.

For the buildup, put a rag over each, soak overnight with ammonia, scrape with a razor blad e the next day. Rinse well. Repeat if needed.

Helen
12/05/11
To remove the brown ring usually from frying foods, use a sugar cube. Wipe top with damp cloth (do not use much water as sugar will melt) and scrub with cube. My stove is well over 3 years old and has no damage. I do clean after every use and frequently use the razor scraper with no harm done.
Susan
12/06/11
I purchased a Schott Ceran white cooktop 3 months ago and up until now I have had no problems keeping it stain-free with using just baking soda and then rinsing well. Last night it developed large grey stains on one of the burners that just will not come clean - the pot I used had first been resting in my stainless sink to fill it up. I tried leaving a baking soda paste on and then spritzing the paste with white vinegar, but the stain is still there. It's not a raised stain, so I don't think a razor would help. Any ideas?
Susan
12/06/11
Hey! I just finished putting straight vinegar on a cotton cloth on the grey stain for the past hour and the stain is gone!!! I'm so thrilled it looks like new, now I know what will work on my cooktop - hope it helps others!!!
Linda
12/11/11
I had my new stove 1 day and was boiling spaghetti, spilled over and had a burnt on brown mark that I could not get off. Above responses helped out. I used a Mr. Clean bathroom magic clean sponge and the mark came off. It's perfect. Thank you
Kim
12/15/11
Hi, I have a Frigidaire ceramic cooktop, but my problem is with the electronic control panel. When it was installed, there was a thin film over the panel. After a lot of use it was ripping in places so I pulled it off, but I couldn't get it out of the edges and the plastic bits sticking out of the edges make me crazy and look filthy. Is there a way to lift the hard plastic panel to remove the rest of the film? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!!

ellen
12/16/11
Kim, that film should have been removed before use. No suggestions, sorry.
Alex
12/17/11
Hi, I had some mike spill over in our ceramic hob. After I tried with dry cloth to remove it, I used scotch-brite scrabber to remove the stains. It removed the stains easily, but after it dried, we now have some stain marks in the ceramic top. Please guide me how to remove this.
Thanks
Alex
ellen
12/17/11
Alex, these threads have lots of suggestions- give them a try.
Alex
12/17/11
Hi ellen, Thanks for quick response. As I understand that I need to put a towel wetted with a good cleaner over the whole thing for hours, then carefully scrape with a new razor blade, then clean with a Mr. Clean sponge, then finish with a really thourough water rinse. Can I use a knife in place of razer blade. Also won't it make more scrathes on the ceramic top? Please help and applogies for asking clarifications
M
12/22/11
Ok,so I was making brown sugar fudge and while I was stirring it; some boiled over the edge and left a black spot on the front burner. I have tried letting soap and water on it sit on it for an hour and even have tried taking a paper towel and scrubbing lightly. What do u reccomend?
ellen
12/23/11
Alex, don't use a knife, the straight edge of the blade is part of the secret for avoiding scratches. Weimar heavy duty ceramic top cleaner is a good choice.

M, it is critical to get this off, and not to use the burner till you do. Use Alex's outline just above.

julia acampora
01/06/12
i was boiling a pot of water for tea on my flat top stove and i forgot it was on and when i went back after remembering the pot was empty and it left white areas on that burner. that burner still works but is there a way to fix the white areas?
ellen
01/06/12
Usually not- try some of the products suggested, such as the Mr. Clean sponge.
Ginni
01/07/12
Multi Purpose Cleaner on Aluminium Stove Top
Hi ladies,
I have a question - i used a multi purpose cleaner on my sister's new aluminium stove top whilst house sitting! EEK! There are some blotches on the stove that I cannot get rid of with standard water etc. What do you recommend?
Thank you heaps :_
ellen
01/07/12
Uhoh, Ginni,
There is a buffing compound called Mother's Aluminum Cleaner that might help. Unlike stainless steel, aluminum reacts with many cleaners. What Not To Clean Aluminum With

Ammonia can mottle or pit the surface (therefore you need to be careful when washing aluminum framed windows or mirrors with a window cleaning recipe containing ammonia)
Strong alkalis cause discoloration
Chlorine bleach corrodes and discolors aluminum
Scouring or abrasive products scratch easily

Cream of tartar mixed with white vinegar sometimes helps.

chris
01/14/12
Hello,

I have a glasstop stove (Black with dark gray or silvery specs in it) in my home. We moved in about 2 weeks ago and it looked perfectly new. With no marks or anything. But my wife noticed after cooking something that on one of the burners, there seems to be a 4x4 inch spot right in the center of the burner, where the black color of the glass became lighter and the decorative specs in the glass became white. We basically polished the surface.. but it's not changing back to original color.

Could it be a burn on the under side of the glass? There are no apparent scratches on the surface and it feels very smooth.

Kathleen
01/17/12
I have a brand new black top with grey specks in it Kenmore Electric Range and in between the duel and single elements I have pin like spots on it.I use the Ceramic cleaner and sponge that came with the stove but they are not coming out,the spots feel smooth.Any suggestions? This stove is BRAND NEW.Thank-you.
ellen
01/17/12
Chris, this occurs most often with aluminum pots. They actually shed tiny particles on the burner.

Kathleen, Switch brands and also see thye many cleaning hints on this and the other ceramic top threads.

gail
01/21/12
cleaning glass topstove
i have a black glass top stove on 1 burner it looks a little like light grey in the center and i cant find anything to clean it it has been replaced once cause it looked like spider webes in the burner please help
gail
01/21/12
cleaning glass topstove
i have a black glass top stove on 1 burner it looks a little like light grey in the center and i cant find anything to clean it it has been replaced once cause it looked like spider webes in the burner please help
ellen
01/21/12
Gail, sometimes the greyish is from aluminum pans. Other than that, no suggestions...
Peter
01/25/12
Seems I have a mild but still visible stain on my glass cooktop. It feels totally smooth so I contacted CeramaBryte. They told me that is is most likely a starch stain (which got inside the glass) and will most likely be burned out over time. Does this sound legit?...or was CeramaBryte simply trying to get rid of me?...lol. Any thoughts?
ellen
01/26/12
Sigh, don't know.
ellen
01/26/12
Weimar and a few others make a tough stain cleaner for these tops. Worth finding.
Sharon
01/30/12
I was making homemade strawberry jam today and it boiled over. I got the p[ot of immediately but the sugery jam juice that boiled over burned right onto the burner. I have been trying for hours to get it off with no luck. I have used the ceramic cleaner that came with the stove, baking soda and a wet cloth laid on it for 30 min and just scraping with my thumb nail which is now worn down and the burnt jam is still there. HELP my stove is only 2 months old and hope I haven't ruined it already
ellen
01/30/12
First do not use this burner until you have it completely clean.

Second, you may have to try several different cleaning strategies. Some that have worked for readers are an overnight soak with a cloth saturated with white vinegar or ammonia; Dove Power Cleaner; single edge razor blade.

Pete
02/03/12
Are flat/smooth bottom "aluminum? pots and pans ok to use?

Thanks

ellen
02/03/12
Aluminum tends to mark the tops a bit more easily than stainless, cooks just as well.
Amy-Beth Fischoff
02/04/12
Dear Ellen,
How wonderful that you are out there!
I swiped a dry cloth on a cooling but still hot Kenmore radiant glass type cooktop and it left a residue that so far won't clean.
I have read through many posts and have written down: soaking in white vinegar, or using MAAS or Weimar Cleaner - any to add?
Thank you!
ellen
02/04/12
Warming to the lowest possible heat, then razor scraping. You have actually melted a bit of the cloth onto the element.
Ronny
02/05/12
I have just ordered from Sears the GE Profile free standing range in bisque with ceramic cook top in the same bisque color.
After reading the above reviews, I am thinking will the bisque color ceramic top have the same kind of probelms that many of you mentioned as above? Especially when it comes to spills and splatters and dicolorations?
Aimee
02/05/12
Hi ive just moved into a new house we have the proper pots and pans for a ceramic cooktop, the people before us left rings on it and ive got most off it off but one ring has become white ????? how do i stop this from happening again? thankyou
ellen
02/05/12
Ronny, yes.

Aimee, clean relentlessly and don't ever heat an element that is not clean. Beyond that, clean as above.

jane
02/16/12
Hi...today...got a chip on the side of the ceramic cooktop and hairline crack around the right front burner. How much to repair or replace?
Pam
02/17/12
I have (3 months old) GE Profile black ceramic cooktop. I've been very dilegent keeping it clean. Recently, I noticed a white (circle) stain on the front burner which matches up with the bottom of one of our ceramic coffee cups. We only drink coffee in the morning and I don't cook breakfast on the stove so I know the burner wasn't on...
I've tried everything! My cooktop cream that always gets everything off, Mr Clean magic eraser, CLR,Barkeeper cleanser, baking soda, razor blade, oven cleaner (oops, just a little dab)and nothing seems to work. It's smooth, no pits it looks like a water mark, it won't disappear! Am I doomed to looking at this white ring forever?
Any suggestions will be appreciated - it's driving me nuts!
sue
02/17/12
I was boiling milk on my brand new cooktop and as i turned my head for a split second it boiled over. I cleaned it with cooktop cleaner but there still is a grayish whitish film. maybe I scrubbed too hard. Can I get it back to it's black luster? I heard of vinegar and lemon??
ellen
02/17/12
Jane, costs are local- get an estimate, in the meantime be VERY careful not to get any liquid down the crack (under the top). I would not use that burner,,,

Pam, sorry, but if none of the ideas on the thread have worked, no magic.

Sue, you still have a film. Try the Mr. clean sponge or Weimar heavy duty ceramic top cleaner.

Kevin
02/18/12
Just came across this board on my computer because the wife also has a ceramic cooktop with a spot on it. Oh no, now you can tell we use it! This is an amusing thread. Why don't you all use that room as a place to cook and not jus a museum for pampered chef gadgets. Get a gas stove, cook good food on it and expect it to look like you use it. Create your own soup or chili recipe, fry an egg, make gravy and be a real cook. (Hope you can take a joke. Got to go, the wife is coming.)
Donna
02/18/12
Has anyone figured out a way to remove the dreaded smooth black spot on a black with white speckled glass cooktop? And where can I find the Maas Cleaner?
Thank you.
ellen
02/21/12
Maas online, some hardwares, most Walmarts; no new info on the dreaded black spot.
Michala
02/22/12
We just installed our brand new ceramic cook top and used it for the first time .. The pot cooking rice overflowed and there is now discoloured stains on it. Mum is devastated. We wiped it down with a damp cloth but no good...the so called "special scraper" did not come with the cook top... Any recommendations... It says to clean with sidol or stahl fix ..?
sudhakar
02/22/12
Thankyou nice post
ellen
02/22/12
Get a ceramic top cleaner- I like Weimar- wet down the stain, let it dry overnight, then moisten with water and use a single edge razor blade to carefully scrape. You have dried on starch. Do NOT use the burner until it is clean or you will have a very difficult time trying to get that off.
cookie
02/27/12
I have a GE Profile 4 burner gas cooktop model #JGP990BEL1BB and my maid used 409 to clean it. Now there is a milky film on the burner module that has taken the black color out. Help! Do you have any suggestions? I tried soaking in vinegar and water to no avail.
ellen
02/27/12
If you have not used the burner, try the procedure just above. If you have used the burner, you may be stuck- you could try it anyway.
cookie
02/28/12
I soaked the module overnight with the Weimar and a plastic knife to scrape it with, didn't work. Today I tried Barkeepers Friend, not working. After reading all your post, I wonder why the makers of these cooktops don't have some viable answers. Are we all going to be stuck with the things? If I have to buy another one I sure wouldn't know where to start.
ellen
02/29/12
You need a razor blade.
marilyn harrison
03/01/12
I have a black spot on my ceramic top that will not come off when I clean it with the ceramic cleaner. Can it be removed and any suggestions as to what to use? I have the black and white speckled top,
ellen
03/02/12
Marilyn, if you read through this and othe ceramic top threads you will see a variety of methods to try. Also that sometimes nothing works, especially if you have cooked on the stained burner. Good luck...
Janice
03/05/12
we have an IKEA glass cooktop in our holiday rental home (mad I know) but it now has stains on it. Our management say are brown stains and maybe scratches. Have used cerambryte cleaner. Any advice. Thank you
ellen
03/05/12
Use some of the other products and procedures discussed in this and other ceramic top threads, next time you are there.
Geema
03/07/12
We had a patch of burned on plastic and finally Googled solutions. WD-40 took it off like magic. But black stains? We've tried just about everything but Maas and had no luck. Would never buy a Kenmore smooth black-speckled top stove again.
Gayle
03/10/12
how did you use the WD40? on cold surface? i usually cook alot but today melted plastic on my cooktop scraped most of it off still has some white residue. i dont know if it is safe to use now.
Ann
03/18/12
RE: Those awful black spots on my white speckled black range top! I have a 10 yr old 2 range Maytag that I really love! I have tried to keep the top looking like new. About 3 years after purchasing the range I noticed I couldn't get the black circles in the middle of the burners off with any amount of scrubbing. I read somewhere that they were from putting pans on the burner without anything in them. When there is food or liquid in the pan the heat transfers to the ingredients, when there is no food the pan just gets hotter and hotter and will "burn" the glass, hence the darkened patch. Since hubby was fixing the breakfast each morning I observed that even if he was boiling water the pan got put on the range first then he would add water later. That is okay if one gets the water in soon but he would often get busy and not add the water for a bit. He was putting all pans on the range empty. One day while I was gone he put water on to boil in a whistling tea kettle but then went to the garage. He didn't hear the whistle and when he came in the kettle had burned dry and his attempt to take it off the range took off a small circle of glass that was welded to the kettle. I got a new range top out of the deal and that has been about 4 years ago, I gave him the instructions on what to do and not to do and things had been going quite well, using the Cerama Bryte and now and then Bar Keepers Friend. Two days ago it was time to clean again and I notice I now have ANOTHER black spot on a back burner. Grrrrrr!! It wasn't there at last cleaning. I can't get it off with any amount of scrubbing. I guess we may as well give up on keeping our ranges like new if we use them and just accept the black circles. :(
Kathy
03/23/12
Dear Ellen you have helped me once before and I'm so grateful so I need your help once more. I have two very small scratches on my Kenmore Electric Range Glass top Is their anything I can do to remove them? I used the cleaner and pad provided with the stove.
ellen
03/25/12
Hard to get the scratches out.
Joy
03/29/12
Anyone had any luck with anything lately to remove the black rings that form on these ceramic cook tops? My beautiful range was great for about 4 years but in the last year these black rings have appeared. I have used the same cookware as always, never let a pan go dry and they are not caused by burned on food. Suggestions? Thanks
ellen
03/30/12
Sigh, this same complaint from another reader this week,,,
kathy
04/10/12
I have a Frigidaire range with a black glass cook top with spots. I was boiling potatoes and using a copper bottom pot which I have been using on it for almost 2 years now. It splattered which was no problem to clean. But when I lifted the pot there was a large half moon black ring on the cooktop. It is smooth, just like someone drew it on with a marker. It is very large and as I rent, the range does not belong to me. I have tried everything and can't get it off. Does anyone know if it can be removed professionally? I am afraid to tell my landlord, as all the apliances were brand new a year and a half ago. Please help.
ellen
04/12/12
This usually occurs when a pot is put on to heat before being filled, but not always. These tops are VERY prone to this, nobody so far has an excellent method for removal. You can replace just the glass, but I would not do it until ready to move, as this could easily happen again...
Sharon
05/30/12
Can I use comet cleaner the liquid on my ceramic stove top
C J
06/22/12
I have a black top Frigidare stove used for the 1st time and cleaned it with Ceramabryte and pad. Although it says it would not scratch the spot I scrubbed stayed dull and gray with very light scratching it is only a small spot but does anyone know of a product that will return the shine. Thanks
ellen
06/22/12
Sharon, don't use Comet.

CJ usually this occurs after heating an empty pan. Nobody has come up with a solution.

Kathy
07/20/12
Please help! Black schott ceran cook top. I boiled over white rice. Cleaned it with Barkeepers Cooktop Cleaner and used Weiman's red scrubbing pad. Wiped it off with damp microfiber cloth. Then gently cotton towel to dry it, but probably not completely dry. The gray hardened spots are gone, and the cook top looks normal where they were. Around them though is a milky white appearance. You cannot feel it. I tried to polish several times with Weiman cooktop cleaner and dry microfiber cloth. What is this milky appearance and what can I try to get rid of it?
ellen
07/20/12
I am leery of microfiber around these tops as, even if just a little hot, they can melt onto the tops. Stick with the cotton clothes for 100% safety.

These shadowy circles have no known solution. Do keep polishing-

ellen
07/20/12
I am leery of microfiber around these tops as, even if just a little hot, they can melt onto the tops. Stick with the cotton clothes for 100% safety.

These shadowy circles have no known solution. Do keep polishing-

Kathy
07/20/12
Thank you for your help! Do you know what causes these "shadowy circles?" So do you think polishing with the Weiman's cooktop cleaner will help? Should I use a circular motion with the cotton cloth to polish properly? And do paper towels scratch a black ceran cook top? I am afraid to use paper towels.
ellen
07/20/12
lots of my readers use paper towels- just stay away from abrasive cleaners, Circular motions would be less likely to show.
Kim
08/17/12
my last renter must have used some abrasive on the cook top because the back surface is gone on the large burner and it now looks like cloudy glass. Is there anything I can do, aside from replacing it?
ellen
08/17/12
No, sorry. You can replace just the glass on most models. Consider a non-smooth top if yo have to replace the whole stove.
kelly
09/10/12
I to have succombed to the dreaded black spots. I have a kenmore with the speckled top. The burners I use the most, the small ones have the black on them. Almost like the specks are disappearing. I love my stove, but hate the black on the burners. Makes it look like my stove isn't clean. I cannot feel anything on the burners. This is aggravating when I have been so careful with it and there is not a scratch on it. First the spots themselves look speckled then they turned solid black.
Nancy
09/12/12
I have been reading what you ladies have been saying about the kenmore glass tops,and for some they date back to 08. I have had my stove since 08 and in the last 6 months it has developed the black rings(spots) you speak of. The top of the glass is clean as whistle these rings seem to be under the glass.Does anyone have those and have you been able to clean them? And Kelly I know how you feel. I too have the speckled top and have been very careful...Kind of makes it look like you didn't clean them good enough. There must be someway you can get inside to clean,and yes it is aggravating. So if anyone has any ideas or found help on clean them please pass them along,so we all can feel clean again!!!!
ellen
09/13/12
Yes the tops do sometimes discolor under the glass, but on most stoves, it s quite difficult to get under there...
ANGELA
09/15/12
Hi,I have a ring on my burner as my son was using a small pan on a lrg burner....It wont come off what can I do..It is under extended warranty.I also have only used cerama bright and lots of muscle to scub stains off and it worked but I CANT REMOVE THAT RING IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GETTING WORSE OVER TIME
ellen
09/16/12
Sorry, this has no good solution...
Rhonnetta
09/17/12
I have a brand new glass top stove and something boiled over and i touched it with a hot rag and it melted on it.. I took cleaner and got most off but now I have a few white spots.. grrr how do I get them off?
ellen
09/17/12
Just barely warm it, use a razor, and NEVER use anything but a 100% cotton rag.
ingrid Hogan
09/24/12
I have a white, 35 year old ceramic cook top. It still works but has grey stains inside the rings. I wonder if there is anything to reduce them. I use Corningware cleaning stuff, but it does not help the rings.
charlotte wilson
01/26/13
My ceramic cook top, gas burners, is white. I can just boil water and I have brown spots that I have to clean with ajax every time. Why would they continue to make these cook tops when they react that way? It is made by Whirlpool.
ellen
01/26/13
Scrub and clean the bottom of the pots. Also, sometimes it is previous drops or spatters that don't show until they are heated. The Ajax will scratch the top and make it worse over time.
Olivia
02/21/13
I have a black flat range stove top that has SOMEHOW (hubby) got dried caramel on it and I can not seem to get it off.. What can I use to get it off???
ellen
02/21/13
Repeated hot clothes.
Holly
03/19/13
Two week old Kenmore electric range, black glass cooktop. Forgot to add the water to a Revereware copper bottom pan that heated before I realized it was empty. Big cloudy white circular stain on that burner now. Gonna cry -- any suggestions?
Tracey
03/31/13
cleaning intuction ooktop
My husband used windex on my Blanco induction cooktop while it was HOT! Now it has a film on it that I cannot get off..... Please help, it looks terrible :(
ellen
03/31/13
Both, please try the Mr. Clean sponge, but these are tough. Good luck.
Andre
04/07/13
Thanks Ellen for this forum, I'm glad to have found such a helpfull site. I've started my journey by purchasing a Kenmore glass cooktop stove model 970C68783 in November 2012, within the first use, water boiled over my revere ware copper bottom pot and left a white mark inside the glass. I've contacted Sears canada who sent a technican to my house and couldn't remove the marks. They offer to take back the stove and I've decided to go back to old coil cooktop stove model 970-59843. To my surprise, the coil cooktop was not was I was expecting, they now make it so cheap with a really shinny finish that you have to remove all burners and drip trays after each uses in order to polish and buff out all the fingers and washing marks. So I was back to square one, after reading carefully your forum, I remembered seen the K mark that was on the corner of my first glass cooktop, wich was poorly made by corning ware. I've decided to return my coil stove back in March 2013 and I got myself a LG stove with schott ceran cooktop model LRE6327ST, what a difference, so easy to keep clean and so far no problems. People who really want a glass cooktop, do your research and buy a Schott Ceran cooktop and nothing less. In Canada, only Whirlpool, LG and certain Kitchen Aid stove still uses Schott Ceran cooktop. I did got rid of my revere ware pots, my mother in-law was really happy to take it from me, and i got myself a nice set of Paderno Stainless steel heavy bottom, encasulated pots, as well as all-clad hard anodize with stainless steel bottom pans. Ps. I also find the Weiman cooktop cleaner to work the best, they have an awsome product line, from spray cleaner to quick wipes and the old fashion cream and scrubbing pad, try it out. I also want to thanks all of you, who participated in this forum for helping me makin the right choice! Andre :O)
Andre
04/07/13
Also for all of you who has problem with the cheap Kenmore black cooktop, sears have a 30 return policy and if it was put on a sears card you the have 60 days to return it!
Yo Rich
05/04/13
cleaning ceramic cooktop-
Hi There,
What a great Blog! Thannks Ellen!
So, I have a WEIRD Issue. I have had my Sears Ceramic White Cooktop for almost 4 yr.s Perfect condition.
Well until my 18yr.old and friend decided it was fine to heat up the small coals for a Hooka pipe
directly on top of the cooktop!!! There are now dark grey outlines of the stones and Ive tried
many cooktop cleaners and no luck.
ANY sugeetion would be greatly APPRECIATED!
ellen
05/05/13
Argh. Dope slap for the foolish friend.

Try a razor blade after soaking the site with a cloth with vinegar and soda. It fizzes. But it may have damaged the actual top, even the coil underneath, so we can only hope.

BJ
05/06/13
Holly, 3/19/13 -- Same here! Left Reverware copper bottom on burner with nothing in pan. Then placed bacon in pan. Smoked up the house and now have a dull spot with edges that look like melted glass. Hope it is a removable stain.

Ellen, any suggestions?

ellen
05/07/13
Sorry BJ, the directions are very definite about never heating an empty pan. Probably not fixable.
Carolyn
05/21/13
I had no trouble with my glass top stove until I bought non stick pans that had something different in the bottom of the pan. Now I have those awful black rings. The more I scrub the bigger they get. I had no problem with my stainless steel pans or my cast iron, but these non stick ones are crap. I had it on one burner the. I put the pan on another burner and the same thing happened, I am up to 3 black spots. The only burner without one is my least used burner. I had my stove for 5 years with no problem. I had the pans for 1 week and the stove is ruined. I say watch your pots and pans.
ellen
05/21/13
That, too. Do try a razor after an overnight soak in white vinegar on a towel.
Cynthia
06/25/13
Just bought Lagostina commercial clad, highest quality stainless pots. I washed them with soap and water as no instructions were included to do any special prep before using. The first time I used them on my Kitchen Aide ceramic cooktop, it left a circle about three inches in diameter in the middle of the burner. The perimeter is opalescent (colored like oil) and the center is a dark bluish color. Have tried cleaning with the cooktop cleaner and Vileda sponge, scraping with a knife blade lubricated with the cooktop cleaner, pastes of baking soda and lemon juice and also baking soda and vinegar. Haven't seen a similar complaint in this thread. Any ideas for removing the mark other than what has been mentioned?
ellen
06/26/13
What a disappointment for you! The only possible clue to cause I can offer is, did you keep the heat at medium high or lower? These pans are super conductors and may have gotten hotter than you expected.

The discoloration may be under the glass where the coils are. So sad.

ch
07/24/13
I have a whirlpool black ceramic top stove. I clean it often. But now, the ceramic top has a white film on it. How do I get rid of this film?
ellen
07/24/13
If you read through the cooktop threads, you will see that many things are tried but few are successful.
Irm
08/18/13
I have a Bosch solid black ceramic cook top (slide in stove) and I am quite happy with it. Previously I had a Kenmore smooth top that was the white and black speckle. I have hardly had to use the ceramic cleaner at all on the black one, even when I have boiled over once or twice. (I had to clean the Kenmore one pretty much every day) However, I do notice on the two elements I use the most, a faint white outline below the surface - depends in what light I look at it. Is this due to pots not being that clean? or too high heat? I have flat bottom Patagonia cookware which, when I bought the Kenmore in our other house, Sears told me was good for that surface. Don't understand how dirty pots can make a difference underneath the surface of the cookware, however, would like to know what I have done wrong so I don't make it worse.
ellen
08/18/13
Not too much to help. Don't ever heat pans empty.
Debi
08/22/13
I have a kitchen aide ceramic glass top stove. We have had it for just about a year and a half with no problems what so ever. We only use the proper pots and pans on it. The last thing we did on the big burner was boil water. Now there is a strange discoloration looking like some of the dark color is coming off. Is this just a stain or is something coming off the finish?
ellen
08/22/13
Can't help. When these burners run very hot for too long, as these might have if it was a lot of water, sometimes you get that center of the burner discoloration.
Joan
08/29/13
You have mentioned using MAAS silver polish several times. MAAS also has a cooktop polish. Do you recommend the silver polish or the cooktop polish? Or are both equally good?
ellen
08/30/13
The cooktop polish is better but not available everywhere.
Ray
09/02/13
Hi there, I had some pretty bad burns from pasta water that boiled over. I purchased a cooktop cleaner and that takes off some film, but doesn't break up the hard coat of burn and sugar film on the cooktop. I put some cleaner back on the cooktop and carefully used a razor blade to take the burn film up. It took some time, but got most of it up this way. Good luck.
Vilma
09/25/13
ceramic cooktop
My husband was cooking a soup and the soup boiled over. Now the burners don't work. What do we do?
ellen
09/25/13
Ray, thanks for the encouragement.

Vilma, when you say they don't work, do you mean don't turn on at all, turn on but the pot doesn't heat?

If they don't turn on at all, you need a repair person.

If some of the burner work, but the one that was boiled over doesn't, you probably have a film like the one that Ray just above discussed, and the first thing to do is a thorough cleaning of the top, with the scraping he discussed when the crud is softened up. If it still doesn't work, you will have to call the repair person.

Vilma
09/25/13
Thanks. I guess I need to call the repair person. Lol. I came home from work and none of the burners worked. When I turned the knob none of the lights go on;they are all dead. I will let you know the outcome.
Charlene
10/05/13
I read with interest just about all of the above posts as I'm in the market for a new electric cook top. How disappointing. I thought I wanted a black ceramic or possibly a speckled ceramic one. Maybe I should keep my 24 year old Jenn-Air? Don't know what to do now.
ellen
10/05/13
If it still works well, that might be a good idea... You could look into new burners and sensors.
Marilyn
10/19/13
My daughter left an empty enamel painted pan on our glass cook top and it melted, leaving paint or other substance seemingly fused in the glass. Any suggestions to clean/remove thus?
ellen
10/21/13
It is truly fused glass and metal. The only method I know of is to replace the glass top, which usually costs from $200-500.
Maddy
10/29/13
I have a new Jenn Air gas range with a black Ceran ceramic cooktop. It needs to be cleaned pretty much every time I use it, which wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't so difficult to get clean without streaks! I usually clean with a soapy (with grease-cutting dishwashing liquid) dish cloth and then wipe dry. But there's always a greasy, filmy residue left behind. I can usually get rid of the streaks if I then apply a generous amount of white vinegar and wipe vigorously (buffing out the streaks). There has to be a better way! Can you help?
ellen
10/29/13
Yes. You need a specific cleaner for ceramic tops. I like weiman or carbona (USA) or cerapal (UK).
Annette
11/25/13
Maddy: 409 after you clean it will make it streak free.

Burnt on sugar: I hesitantly tried a razor blade to remove the vast amount of sugar/milk boil over on my stove top and...it worked! It looks new again. Even got off some greasy residue that had been left behind. I thought it was hopeless and I would have to replace my cooktop! Yay!

angie b
12/14/13
I have a smooth top my problem is how do you get the shine back it have like a dull greasy film
ellen
12/14/13
Depends on what has caused it- read through the thread and try some.
Jessica
12/16/13
I have a white film on my black glass stove top tried everything and it won't come off
ellen
12/16/13
Jessica, if it is over the entire top, it has to do with one of the cleaning products you have used, and could be a film. You could try covering the top with paper towels and soaking overnight with ammonia- very stinky, but sometimes works. In the AM, if it is not better, do consider using the razor blade as discussed above.
Do NOT use a scouring pad. It can permanently dull the top.
Tina
12/26/13
Updates: cleaning ceramic cooktop
Updates please
I just bought a racehorse
Kenmore elite slide in black smoothtop
Convection- I hope it stays clean
ellen
12/26/13
Suggest you get some Weimar or similar cleaner, often found at Home Depot, etc., and use as discussed in these threads. Make sure your pots are flat, clean the bottoms thoroughly before you use them, and attend to the cautions- medium high heat or lower; no empty pans; pots 1 inch or less bigger than burners. This takes some getting used to.
Peggy
01/29/14
we're getting ready to sell our house and I know that the big ugly cooked on black spots cover the middle of 2 of our burners will be a huge turn off to potential buyers.
after trying everything I could think of from bar keepers friend to a blade to baking soda and vinegar, I found this thread. I have a new few ideas to try now, thanks for sharing the knowledge
ellen
01/31/14
Good luck.
sd
02/02/14
I'm in a rental and the stove is a Maytag black smooth stove top. I think Ive scratched some of the black off.....it looks like a big metal stain. How do I try to clean. Used Ceram Bryte and its still there...why I think its scratched. Any suggestions? The worst stove I have ever used
ellen
02/02/14
It is more likely a discoloration, especially if you use aluminum pots. Consider some of the soak-and-scrape solutions discussed on this and the other ceramic cleaning threads. Yes, they are hard to get used to...
meena
02/24/14
I have LG gas range with ceramic top. There are lots of black spots as result of cooking. Is there a way to restore to its shiny original self( black ceramic)
ellen
02/24/14
You probably won't get full restoration, but use the cleaning suggestions in this thread and the other ceramic threads. Soaking and scraping.
Linda
03/05/14
Read a lot of these. My cooktop is gray and the nasty big, black spot shows and is ugly. I've tried most everything and will just have to live with it. I hated gas stoves with the messy, nasty burners to clean. Thought of getting a pretty colored teapot for my crummy black spot.
ellen
03/05/14
There you go! Creative. Just be sure to keep some water in it, in case it gets turned on by accident.
julia
03/05/14
I cooked some noodles that overflowed onto my black cook top (whirlpool)I let it cool and cleaned it with the cleaner-it came off but there are there are light noodle lines left on the cook top-is the cook top now permanently damaged?
ellen
03/05/14
You need to do one of the soak and scrape options above before you cook on the burner. There is still starch on the top.
Tony
03/30/14
Hi, I have a new Bosch Black induction hob.I had a very hot wok on one of the cooking 'rings' and a pale mark or discolouration has appeared which seems to be under the surface -hob cleaner just skates over the surface.Is there anything I can do about it or do I have to live with it. It does'nt seem to affct the cooking?
ellen
03/31/14
The surfaces don't tolerate very hot very well- just keep using only that burner for very hot.
Cassandra
04/14/14
Last night on my black top whirpool gold some water boiled over and has now left a faint white ring on the my big burner. Which soak and scrap method would you recommend? I have tried all the cook top cleaners,lemon juice, dish washing soap (palmolive). What do you suggest?
ellen
04/14/14
Try a soak overnight with a vinegar saturated cloth and then careful scraping with a new single edge razor blade. The combination of starch and water minerals in this spill is very challenging.
Paddy
04/27/14
Water boiled over on my beckon ceramic top, without thinking picked up a nylon tea towel, and of course it has fused on glass. How can I clean this
ellen
04/27/14
Turn on to the lowest possible heat while you stand over it. As soon as it warms just enough to begin to soften, turn off and scrape scrape scrape with fresh single edge razor blades, rewarming if necessary, and pray...
KZ
04/28/14
went to my GE store and was given a razor blade made for these stove tops after I had let a pot boil dry and leave a black mark that could not get rid of.
He showed me how to scrape it....got home and gone in 15 minutes!
ellen
04/29/14
Yep. Often works as the last resort.
Judy
05/16/14
I used boiling water and baking soda to clean the vents under my microwave. They turned out great! But the mixture boiled over and now I have what may be permanent stains on my ceramic cooktop. I used the recommended cream cleaner, scraper and scouring pad, as well as vinegar and soap and water. Nothing. Stains are still there.

Any suggestions.

ellen
05/17/14
Please don't use scouring pads on these tops, they scratch the glass. Maybe try lemon juice?
Diane
05/22/14
A previous post:
sally
01/21/08 i had a pot leave a brown ring on two burners that looked horrible.I thought I was going to have to replace it I soaked dish towels in bleach and layed them on top of the burners for 10 min and the stains were completely gone. Just clean well before use. Cooktop saved all is well this was a kenmore 5 cook burner bisque top. hope this helps someone.

I tried this remedy using bleach on my Maytag and it worked !!

ellen
05/23/14
Diane, thanks. Bleach is really something. That's chlorine bleach and use old cotton dish towels, diapers, etc, not microfiber.
laura
05/27/14
hi, i have a slight browning on the 'white' part of one of the rings...any ideas,,,don't know how this happened at all
ellen
05/27/14
Try the beach?
laura
05/27/14
hi....re post earlier...with ref to browning on one the 'white' part of one of the rings on my ceramic hob....is it safe to use bleach on this kind of cooker top?
ellen
05/27/14
If this is the glass, flat top stove top, yes.
laura
05/27/14
hi ellen...how exctly shall i use the bleach on my ceramic top....it seems the 'white' has worn off a small part of one of the rings,,,,,only had cooker a couple of weeks.....please advise..thanks
nicole revette
06/05/14
cleaning glass cooktop
The burner was accidentally turned on with a plastic fiber drying mat on top of the burner. The fibers have stuck on the burner and all is black. Is there a way to remove this? Should I turn it on low and use a clean razor blade or go to lowes and get the kit and ceramic knife??? I did this myself. I hate this!!
ellen
06/06/14
Nicole, Turn very low, turn OFF, razor blade. Reheat as needed to keep soft. Life is too short to hate yourself over appliances; just be grateful you are paying more attention now.
ellen
06/06/14
Laura, I put a couple of layers of paper towel over the offended area, saturate with bleach, and leave up to over night.
soraya
07/16/14
we just moved to this new rental p[lace that has class ceramic cooktop. however all the white colors on the ring are gone and the same around knobs (which shows low, medimum or high witht he numbers). it function but the black to does not sow any of the stuff and the owner is not willing to replace anything becasue she said they paid a lots of money for it and it still works.
is there a way for me to bring back the white rings on this black surface or do you know of anything (e.g. makrer for hot surfaces) that i can make some makrs so we can start cooking without a fear of buring the food or other related issues.
please help. i am desperate.
ellen
07/17/14
Consider pricing the cost for installing a new glass top only. With some brands that is around 2-300, which is a small price to pay for sanity. I don't know of any marker for the hot surface...
jennifer
08/24/14
hi, i have a new black oven and when removing the sticker i have scratched and fade the front of the grill door!! how can i fix this? what should i use? is there a back to black for cookers?

thank you

ellen
08/27/14
Oh, Jennifer, so sorry to hear this, and I don't know of any way to fix it. Rustoleum makes a white epoxy appliance touch up paint, you could see if you can find it in black.
Margaret
09/24/14
I just took a chance on cleaning the gummed on residue that just wouldn't come off after many hours of trying to clean up a jelly making spillover (I tried razor blade, cleaners, baking soda etc etc to no avail). So, with nothing to lose except my sanity over the mess that might still adhere to any pot I would now put on that burner, I very slowly brought the heat up on the element until I saw the gummed part turn pale grey. I then let it cool down and the 'now ashen' residue just wiped right off with a damp cloth. The pitted parts of the burner are my reminder to USE A LARGER POT next year when I am canning!!!!
ellen
09/24/14
Yes. Margaret, the reheat carefully method does work for some spill overs. However, when using a larger pot, it still must be no more than 1" larger than the diameter of the burner, or you risk the burner. Maybe 2 batches is the answer.
becca
10/05/14
I use magic glass cooktop cleaner weakly to keep my cooktop clean and bright. This week I noticed spots on one burner. They are smooth and almost look like they are under the burner..which I know isn't possible...any ideas on how to get them cleaned?
ellen
10/05/14
Try some of the other suggestions. Preferably don't use the burner until you are satisfied with how it looks.
nonna
10/27/14
Ellen,
I dropped aluminum foil on the hot ceramic surface of my new samsung stove.
It melted.
Could i remove it? How?
ellen
10/27/14
Like microfiber, turn on to the lowest possible heat while you stand over it. As soon as it warms just enough to begin to soften, turn off and scrape scrape scrape with fresh single edge razor blades, rewarming if necessary, and pray...
liliana
11/11/14
I just bought a ceramic gas oven, and I decided to make an old family recipe, pumpkin with caramel.... so the caramel came out from the container and spelled on the bottom of the oven, it burned there and my husband turned the auto cleaning system on. Now I washed all that this morning and it didn't come out the black layer on it and in between the front double glass window got a layer of burned caramel that I can't clean of course, what can I do?
ellen
11/13/14
With any heavy spill, especially sugars, you have to clean up as much as possible BEFORE using the auto-cleaning feature. I did the same thing to my grandmother's oven many years ago afetr a hony spill, and bew]cause the staining is caused by the smoking sugar, there is no way I know of to get it out. She was mad! So sorry!
Richard
12/02/14
We have a GE induction range with black cooktop.
After a few months, a film appeared all over cooktop. CeramaBryte was no help.
I was finally able to remove the film using Bar Keeper's friend powder.
Good luck
ellen
12/02/14
Barkeep's Friend is abrasive; you have to weigh the aesthetics of filming vs. possible scratches. Glad it worked out for you.
Richard
12/05/14
Hi Ellen - Curiously, Bar Keeper's Friend is not an abrasive but rather a chemical process. It is nothing like Comet/Ajax/Vim. On a GE induction black cooktop, the result is a like-new cooktop surface. BTW, the BKF container specifically states that in can be used on ceramic cooktops. Thanks for your great web site.
Melda Clark
12/16/14
We purchased a white glass stove top less than a year ago. My husband cooks at our house, but he likes to cook on high and invariably things boil over leaving behind a terrible mess. I tried using all the recommended cleaners and found the Scrunge sponges helpful. I still did a lot of scrubbing. I researched it constantly and found a called "Astonish Oven & Cookware Cleaner: on amazon.com. Finally, something that worked. I use it exclusively. (I don't use it to clean my oven.)
ellen
12/16/14
Thanks for the new product intro.
Joyce Edwards
01/26/15
Is there any way to buff out scratches on a Frigidaire smooth top range? The glass top is black. The year of make is 2014.

Thanks!

ellen
01/26/15
So sorry to hear of the top's misfortune- you can try a glass polish, but the likelihood is, you are stuck with the scratches.
Mandeep
02/17/15
I have recently bought a panini grill and on the bottom of the pan, it has little black stains that I am unable to remove. I appreciate you taking the time to read through this! Thanks!
Chris
02/26/15
The black spots are caused by grease splatter/spill getting under a pan while cooking. It gets super heated and does burn the colored flecks in/under the glass. I figured this out first hand on my, like new, 10 year old cook top. I tried cleaning in with everything. If you turn off the lights and turnon the burner, you can see that the glass is perfectly clean, black and uniform to the surrounding burner, just minus the colored flecks in the glass . This circumstance aside, Bar Keepers Friend, is fantastic for glass tops and I've used it monthly for 10 years. No scratches and very clean. Magic Eraser is great for and (non shiny) textured plastic surrounding the controls.
Rekha
03/01/15
Hi can anyone help me??? I cleaned my stove using cascade dish washing liquid--- now i can see white color here and there on black top --- wht should i do now ??
Ashley
03/05/15
Hi there! im such a dope! i turned on a kettle that i thought had water in it. the kettle sat there on high for about 20 min, now there is a giant white ring all over the element can anyone help!? how do i clean it off? i have searched online with no results :(
ellen
03/06/15
Usually, Ashley, sorry to report, these are under the top where the heating element is, not on top. Besides replacing the glass, no good solutions.

Rekha, try the ammonia soak discussed elsewhere on the thread, but if you have heated the discolored areas, you may be stuck with them.

Mary
03/25/15
Hi
I too had a black spot on a speckled glass top Frigidaire Stove. I tried everything to get rid of it, after nothing worked. I took an exacto knife and was able to scrape off the speckles making the spot bigger. I'm surprised the speckles are on top instead of on the underside. Over time my pots have gradually rubbed some of the speckles off in the middle of the ring. I suppose in time it will took great again when all the speckles are gone :) Of course the less used rings look great.
Thanks, this is the first place that actually acknowledged that the speckles can come off. THANKS!
Bonnie
04/12/15
Was cooking mac and cheese and it boiled over stopped cooking with that burner. Cleaned it after supper and it took awhile to get it off and now you can see where it boiled over it looks like it has mared the finish
ellen
04/12/15
Keep soaking and scraping before you use it- you still have a fine residue, and you can probably get it off with soaks and scrubs.
Pam
06/19/15
Eurokera glass/ceramic cooktop
Just bought a Samsung electric/convection range. Saw the "k" on left back corner of range top and did a little research to see what that meant. It's the manufacturer of the glass top (Eurokera). I saw quite a few complaints from 2007 about it scratching easily and being hard to clean up. Has the company improved the product since then? Can't seem to find an answer online.
ellen
06/19/15
No new info here. Take very careful care, don't slide any ts, etc.
Cindy
09/06/15
Two of my burners on my glass top have become iridescent. Is there anyway to remove it? I have no idea how it got this way.
ellen
09/07/15
Let's see if our readers have any ideas.
ahi
10/17/15
Hi Ellen

thanks for the information on cleaning glass cookers. Im hopeful you can still help revive mine.

Last week while cooking i spilled soup on the Frigidaire ceramic glass cooker and while still hot i sprayed the cooker with sunlight washing liquid soap and used a towel to clean off the soap. The soap left white marks and the towel left a patch. I have tried cermabryte, baking soda and vinegar but the stains are still there. Do i try bkf or weiman? any ideas please. I'm renting and would hate to tell the landlord because it is only a month old.

ellen
10/17/15
Uhoh.

It sounds like you used a microfiber towel on the too hot stove. Probably fiber layer on the top as well as residue.

Barely warm the area, turn off, use the razor blade. Then any of the cleaning ideas.

NEVER put any cleaning stuff on the top unless it has cooled. Get some cotton towels or clothes for the future.

Rukhsana
11/02/15
metal rim on glass cooktop came off.
Hi, We have a glass cooktop from KitchenAid. The thin metal frame has come off while I was cleaning (pulling out dirt from under it). What glue is safe?
ellen
11/03/15
You need a heat proof glue- look at the auto parts store.
michelle
01/03/16
hi i have a black enamel cooker gas top, i cleaned my cooker with a cleaning product, i now have spray marks in the enamel that i dont seem to be able to get off, i have only had it 2 weeks have you got any suggestions of what i can do or what i can use, i am devastated!
ellen
01/04/16
What cleaning product? If the top is enamel, it sounds like you used one that affected/melted the paint?
michelle
01/04/16
i used mr muscle kitchen cleaner, is there nothing i can do? thanks!
ellen
01/04/16
The manufacturer says:
Avoid prolonged contact with wood, aluminium, and painted, lacquered or soft porous surfaces. "
If this had been a glass surface, you might have been OK.
If this was an enameled surface and the cleaner stayed on it a while, you have a chemical reaction, and I don't know any way to fix that. So sorry!
Pola
03/07/16
I came on here for answers because of a burn stain on my black ceramic cooktop. I didn't find any that suited getting rid of this large stain I had. I tried everything including scraping it with a razor blade. Then I tried Turtlewax chrome polish--it works wonders. Surprise! I left it on for awhile and then polished it off. My black cooktop is black again and looks great. Hope this works for you too.
Karen
03/22/16
Is Grease Lighting good to use on a glass top stove?
ellen
03/22/16
Don't know this product. Maybe try one that people have already done here?
Paula
03/25/16
I had a sugar boil-over on a Jenn- Air glass electric cooktop. With a razor blade and a lot of scrubbing I finally got it off but it left a 1/4"x 3/4" spot that is etched into the glass. Is there any way to polish out that etched spot without making it worse ?
For normal cleaning I have been using a product called Amaz. It is a paste and I got it from my True Value hardware . This paste will clean the water spots off of shower doors too but with a lot of elbow grease. To polish off the paste I use newspaper. The newsprint has just enough abrasive that it polishes without streaking like rags will.
ellen
03/25/16
If it has truly etched, which sugar burns sometimes do, I regret no solution- sounds like you have made a good effort.
Catherine
04/09/16
So I left a frying pan on the stove for 4 hours ... and the rings are burnt into the glass top and you can see the label of the bottom of the frying pan. Worse than that was distracted as I was taking my husband for CHEMO ... Any acid I can use to remove? HELP!! Oh and we sold our house and it closing in 5 days ...
ellen
04/09/16
Uhoh!

First, so sad about your sweetie, my sister is in the same situation.

Suggest you disclose and drop cost the replacement cost from the sales price. Check with your realtor.

Carol
07/07/16
I have a serious problem. I had a pot on a potholder cause the pot was hot on cool burner. its a GE smooth black cooktop. My son accidentally turned it on to warm it up and well was a burned on mess. I was able to get the most of it off with water and baking soda but like was 2 hrs almost with heavy elbow grease problem is I can see that the potholder is embedded on/in the cooktop etc. Ive tried soaking in bleach to no avail...Any way to remove this Help!!!
ellen
07/18/16
warm to lowest heat. turn off, use razor blade. That is the most you can get off
Maria
03/07/17
I too had grease rings around two burners. I tried the baking soda with warm soapy water and it did remove some of the ring. I have used paint grade fine sanding blocks on old tubs to remove stains in my remodeling business so i decided to try one on the rings around the burners. Surprise the grease rings are gone with no scratches to the cook top. If you try this method make sure to get fine sanding blocks. They can be found in the paint department of your local home depot. I have a few stains in the middle of the burners that look like trapped moisture stains. Any idea how to get rid of those?
bo_diddley
03/07/17
I'm firmly convinced that these stoves are manufactured strictly for looks, or for people who don't actually do any cooking--or cook very little. "Showroom" kitchens. The fact that you need to practically "baby" these things is ridiculous and absurd, nor is it practical for most people. For heaven's sake, the instruction manual for these ranges might as well say "Warning: Do Not Cook on this Range." One shouldn't need to use all sorts of different cleaners/polishes/waxes/creams/protectants/conditioners/whatever/ to enjoy an appliance and help prolong its life. To me, this is utter nonsense, and I partly blame a lot of these problems on our culture of planned obsolescence for the many issues people seem to be experiencing with these cooktops/ranges.
Faithette foreman
01/05/18
I absolutely agree with you bo diddley. What a total waste of time and money. I am so disgusted with this stove; it came with the house we purchased (which we love) and its seems to be more trouble than it's worth. It's a stove! for goodness sake and to maintain it should not be so complicated .
ellen
01/06/18
Replace. Life is too short to torture any cook with these tops!
pam
03/25/18
i make a baking soda paste with peroxide.. it seems to work great on my black cooktop!! use straight edge blade knife to gently scrape any stuck on residue which is not much
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)